June 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Re: June 2013

Good morning fellow chat friends.  Great pics of the projects Winter!

I never know what to get kids, seeing I am really "out of the loop" on what is in, safe, etc. so I usually go the Amazon gift card route.  Boring, but at least I don't feel as though I am stepping on any toes.

Not much going on here in terms of father's day this weekend either, as my dad has passed and DH's is in Fl.  My nephew's bday is also Sunday so there will be a big gathering at my bro's house.  Not sure if we'll go by or not.  My bro's in-laws, though a beautiful, loving family, is just so big and and a bit overwhelming.  Let's just say (not trying to offend anyone) - they are the "typical Italian family." lol.  They are very nice, but sometime's it's just too much, as we are used to our tiny little family.  We'll see.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

Prin, I don't think that's an insult, LOL.  Maybe if you go for an hour or so it wouldn't be too bad, especially if DD has already napped and is full of energy to face the crowd.  Or, if you skip it, it can't be that big a deal.

Today is gift decision day.  Tomorrow is cooking baking day as per the request of the mom.  She likes my great-grandmother's soft molasses cookies.  I'll bring a baked batch for the party and a raw batch for her to keep in the freezer and bake up whenever she wants.  Once in awhile having chosen the 7 vs the 5 qt stand mixer turns out to have been a good choice.

So, since we are completely out of white flour I need to get a small bag to make the cookies...and molasses now that I think of it.  I don't think they'd be quite the same with coconut sugar and sprouted spelt flour!  I  might make some for DH that way, though; he'd like them and won't come home ill...unless he chows cake, anyway, which he will.  Sigh...what can ya do.

Have a great day, everyone!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Ah, yes, Princess, be careful within whose earshot you say that, I speak from experience, knowing just what you mean.  I grew up in a quiet small family, in a quiet household.   When my son was commenting on a family member who seldom came to his family gatherings, I jokingly said, "Well, can you blame him?  He probably feels overwhelmed by the group (wife's family).  It gets so loud."  The key phrase being "it" gets loud, not "they" get loud. He went back to his wife and said I understood why so and so didn't come to gatherings, her  family was so loud.  that's not what I meant, just that they are a gregarious group, which is nice, but in the confines of a house sometimes with them all talking at once, "it" gets loud.  That little remark said half in jest caused hurt feelings on my DIL's part for years and I do mean years.  She'd remark, "We may be loud, but we're there for each other."  No amount of explaining did anything to erase the offense she had taken.  We're just now getting past that as I make a conscious effort whenever appropriate to say within her earshot what a friendly congenial group they are.  I do like them, they are nice people.

On another note, ladder is against the house, and siding on dormer is being taken off as I write.  Need I point out to them that they told me they had checked and that there was flashing on that side?  Asked them repeatedly and they said yes.  Now they're checking for that.  What's the point, it's a friendly relationship with them responding as soon as I call, and I'd rather keep it that way.

Off to have a second cup of coffee and maybe a piece of fruit, seeing I already had some coffee cake.  I'll be around all morning at least while they're working, so hope there's some chatter.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Nice idea, Kargiver, to bring an extra batch of dough for the freezer.  There will be a day when they're craving those cookies, and she'll be so glad that roll of dough is there.  Good luck with your gift shopping.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think people can be far too sensitive allowing themselves to be hurt over the nuttiest stuff.  If a family is huge and boistrous by nature they obviously know it - what's the big deal.  Doesn't everyone get the humor of My Big Fat Greek Wedding and the like, or are they offended by it?  Life is too short to bellyache over such nonsense imo.  (Omg, I've turned into my mother.)

Thanks, tt, you're right - any ready made or almost ready made thing helps her so much. I've made dough for them at their house before, too, while the oven is in use on some other treat.  

ETA: I'm not saying we shouldn't take care not to offend, just that to be offended by that is sad.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Icer, don't think you know, but you actually can't get paper Savings Bonds anymore, the government stopped issuing them. Instead you have to put the money in an electronic account set up by the government. It's the same premise, but you don't have the paper bond. Just thought I'd share.

tt, glad to see the roofer has started bright and early this morning, I hope they find the problem. Kar, how thoughful to not only make cookies but bring some dough for her to use. Princess, I completley understand, my ex comes from a big Italian family so I know exactly what you mean.

Not doing much for Father's day I don't think. I'll make it a point to visit the cemetary and I'll see what if anything DH wants to do. DS will be getting his dad and his step dad something on Saturday.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:

I think people can be far too sensitive allowing themselves to be hurt over the nuttiest stuff.  If a family is huge and boistrous by nature they obviously know it - what's the big deal.  Doesn't everyone get the humor of My Big Fat Greek Wedding and the like, or are they offended by it?  Life is too short to bellyache over such nonsense imo.  (Omg, I've turned into my mother.)

Thanks, tt, you're right - any ready made or almost ready made thing helps her so much. I've made dough for them at their house before, too, while the oven is in use on some other treat.  

ETA: I'm not saying we shouldn't take care not to offend, just that to be offended by that is sad.

Well, you know, part of it was the MIL/DIL thing.  Probably said by anyone else she would  have laughed it off.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wise interpretation of the issue, tt, for sure.  Reminds me of how blessed I am to have a friend in my MIL.

Speaking of which, I'm looking forward to spending time with her next week while the "boys" are golfing.  She's so easy going and fun to be with.  She's an avid practicer of yoga and goes dancing often with FIL so I know she'll enjoy walking with me and Gracie and will come with good shoes and clothes for that.  Not sure what else we'll do, but it's nice not to have to worry about it, per se.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Oh family, family, family. I chuckled and nodded to this mornings posts. DH doesn't have a large family here (at home he does), but their language - which they normally resort to - is loud, very LOUD. To me it seems they don't talk, they scream to each other. I never wear my hearing aids, when we are w/ them.
    Not understanding most of, what is going on, I just sit and watch. But if we didn't show up at family gatherings, we would be in the dog house for a long time to come. If I were you, princess, I would show up - even for just a short visit.
    Good luck w/ you trips shopping today, Kar. With your love for hose babies, I am sure you will find something, you will be happy with.
    Hope your roofer find, what is wrong, tt. Our roofer came yesterday, and the ceiling was as dry as anything - even after the heavy downpour, we had. He will be back to check tmw. after Thursday/Fridays night, when we are expecting a lot of rain again.
    Just found out last night, we will have a visitor coming the weekend before the 4th. An old friend of DH's I don't even know. He is coming w/ his wife and son looking for colleges in the Boston area. Good thing, we already have tix to go to TX, so the visit will be short. I am sure, they expected us to put them up during their stay. And add to that driving them around visiting the colleges.
    Office is calling. Have a good day everyone.
    Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Does your  husband volunteer you and your home to all these different people?  I can't imagine otherwise people expecting to be put up and shown around, Pingo.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

You know, I find my own family hard to be with en masse; it is large and if the gathering is inside, there's always a TV or two turned on (so many holidays now have degenerated into sports occasions for men to watch football or hockey or golf, and then there's parades or marathons of stupid movies.)  I would rather see people individually so that one could really talk or observe the children; but if one does not show up, well, one is regarded as a 'snob.'  So Princess, I feel your pain, but as the other chatters have said, it's best to go, even if for a short time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

I agree unless your DH has offered and has not told you why you think they expect you to host them and drive them around to colleges..............? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, - NO, my DH doesn't offer and don't open our home to these people. But my BIL does. "Oh, your are going to Boston? My brother lives there. He will be happy to see you." Another reason, my BIL and I don't see eye to eye.
    I do have to say though, that if it was the other way around - they would put us up and take us around. It is a cultural thing. But they have servants, chauffeurs, cooks. So, they wouldn't be doing the driving, cooking etc. themselves. For them it really wouldn't be a great sacrifice.
    When they go abroad, they expect the same hospitality. It s called lack of education.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hats, oh that TV! How I despise it. I never understod, why people must have the TV on, when they are having company. Unless of course, you are invited to a specific game or show. Then you can decide if you want to go or not. I even had guests of mine turn on our TV w/o even asking.

My DIL is a TV addict. The TV is the first thing she turns on when she gets up, and it is one until she goes to bed. It is just a habit, she doesn't even watch it. But she tells me, it is from the time, she stayed alone in her apartment. She feels comfort having it on. My son and she had quite a few arguments of not having a TV in their bedroom. He won.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I have the TV running most of the day, just for the background noise.  Your DIL is right, it's comforting when you live alone.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I do, too - so deathly quiet and lonely here without it.  No TV in the bedroom for us, though, because I insisted.  DH has insomnia and that is the first thing the sleep experts tell you to get rid of.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar and tt, I can support you needing some back ground noise, when home alone. I put on some light music to listen to. But do you have your TV on, when you have company? Our DIL is an avid reader. Go through at least 2 books a week, and they are not light reading. She says, she can't read w/o the TV on. It drives our son crazy. And me too for that matter. But I am a visitor, so I keep my mouth shut. DIL has so many good qualities, that I put up w/ her TV. But as soon as she is out the door, I turn it off. Well, she supposedly leave it on for the cats. However, they don't care. They nap w/ or w/o it LOL.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

No, when I have company, I immediately shut it off.  And, I do turn it off when I'm reading.  Can't concentrate on what I'm reading with the background voices - it's like carrying on two different conversations!

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Nope, I turn it off with company, and I don't leave it on for Gracie!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Kargiver, did you go out yet for the gift(s)?

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've been shopping online looking for things I can pick up in the store and finding that NOTHING I like is available in the store.  What do they carry on the shelves???  I'm PMSing, it's pouring, and I'm finishing up a lovely lunch of TJ's mac and cheese I dressed up with some chopped homemade pickles and hot sauce (that I didn't make) and, most importantly, champagne.  We might just settle for a card with money.  They are one, won't know the difference, and mom and dad can get them things they want/need. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Kar just a thought. If you wanted to give something tangible in addition to money, you could pick up three rubber/plastic texture summer outdoor balls from CVS or someplace like that. Babies that age love balls and you can never have too many. Very inexpensive but I guarantee the babies will like them. You could even buy one for the big sister without breaking the bank. My ten month old will play with a ball for 10-15 mins - crawling around after it, hitting it etc. Lots of fun. I actually think giving the parents a check will be a very appreciated gift bc they probably have a lot of upcoming expenses for the three kids. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Rama, good idea - I could decorate them with their names - they'd never leave the house with them.  Indeed, the expenses never end.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I do understand the need for noise in an empty house...but why not radio instead of TV?  And our cable provider has themed music channels so that I can choose Broadway or New Age or Swing or 1980s music or....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Wow, that heavy rain is still coming down here.  Listened to it all night.  Can't tell if roof is still leaking, the toyroom ceiling is so stained now as it is.  Later this afternoon I'll look and see if there are spreading stains.  Also putting a call into my gutter cleaning man - roofers said they would clean gutters, no need for him to come, they said.  Evidently their idea was to pick out just nails and scraps of shingles, because one down spout was clogged at the bottom with leaf debris, and the other end of a very long gutter in back has water sitting in it, so I know the drainspout is blocked.  Learning at this late age, not to take people at their word.

Re music vs. talk - having the TV on gives the impression of other people being in the house and that's what I like.  After having 4 boys and their assorted friends in and out for 20 years, miss that background (usually foreground!) sound.

So cute, Cheerio has found a new sitting place, one she never thought to jump to before I guess.  I had the stepstool in the bathroom rehooking the shower curtain, and when I finished just pulled it out in the hall next to the hamper.  Saw her jump on the stool and then step over to the hamper yesterday, and this morning I turned around while sitting here and there she is, up on the hamper again.  Just as glad she hadn't found it before, her nails get quite long in between clippings from G.T., and would hate to have them puncture it.  I'd take a pic and post it but - - -

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

Sections
Shortcuts