June 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: June 2013

Good morning. tt, Cheerio must look so cute on the hamper. Hope your roof problem gets handled. DS is off to Six Flags with the choir; 25 kids and 5 adults braving this weather, though it's supposed to stop in Agawam shortly. They had no other day to postone it too, so this is it. 

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning,

Hats, we have a radio, cable music, and an iPod so there's plenty of access and I avail myself of it when I want to.  I'm a 4th generation avid singer, first soprano, and have even given voice lessons.  I play classical guitar and have since I was 7.  I taught myself to play the flute to be in the band in high school.  My brother plays in the band of a world famous singer.  I like and appreciate music.  

As for "company" during the day, though, I prefer the TV.  I have a passionate interest in advertising, actually, such that I really should have made it a career, but I didn't know that when it counted so here I am with a degree in mathematics and career in engineering behind me instead.  But, I consider analyzing ads one of my hobbies.  (A recent trend I've noticed and find interesting is that more women in ads are wearing obvious engagement rings when for the longest time they've been portrayed with no jewelry at all.  Most notable example, the Slimful girl.)

It may be plebian, but I like it.

Too bad we were just teased temporarily with the ability to post photos.  Would love to see Cheerio in her new spot!  

And, I'd have posted a photo of Gracie and Daddy outside this morning in their raincoats, lol, so cute.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Speaking of ads, did anyone else happen to notice and love the ad for an ipod, I guess it was, during the playoff game in Chicago ?  It was a guy holding a baby looking at some program on a hand held phone, a baby in his arms.  He nods off to sleep, the baby still awake, then comes to, looks at the baby and says, "You still watching this?"  It was so cute, the baby was wide awake, and just looked over at him.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, I saw that ad, it's very cute. We also have the TV on a lot. DS loves to watch sports, so most of the time he's home it's that.

- Darth Vadar

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Succombed and turned the heat on.  I was too cold to even jump in the shower.  Just let it run through it's cycle once, and it took the chill/dampness off.  Heating oil companies love me!

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Don't feel bad, tt, I'm strongly considering lighting the wood stove.  brrrrrr.

And, that ad is definitley one of the most adorable ones out there!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Count me in as another who has the TV on ALL DAY.  I don't sit and watch it, but I like the noise.  And we DO have a TV in our bedroom and I wouldn't change that, lol!  Don't ask how many TVs we have!

As for having the TV on with company, it depends on the company.  If it's our family yes, dinner party ,etc. no.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning posters,
    The rain is coming down hard here right now. It it drumming on my skylight above me. Was planning to run my usual errands this morning, but I think I will wait until the afternoon, when it looks like the rain will stop a bit.
    The weekend is going to be fine, so I hope the trips' party will go well. Money is always a good idea - even though boring. LEGOs are close to me heart (wonder why). LE-GO (or leg-godt) means play well. Maybe get a box of the larger pieces for toddlers (so you have a tangible gift, Kar) and attach a check to it.
    Still don't know, what DH wants to do for Father's Day. He did tell me not to spend money on "a stupid card" this morning. We are going to TX, so we will celebrate it then.
    Our office roof is still tight. Must just have been a "beginners problem". How is yours, tt?
    The washer just stopped. Have a good day everyone. Chat later.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

the TV hasn't seemed to turn my brain to mush or made me blind yet so I feel us pro-TV folks are relatively safe. ;)

The rain has stopped and the sky is brightening.  Out I go for cookie ingredients.  

I love Legos, too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Had to run out to poke (just Job Lots), to try to get my mind off ceiling.  Before I went out called and asked intown son to come by and see if h e could reach the stains and feel where it looked wet to me this morning.  He had come and gone in the 45 minutes I was out but left me a note saying it felt damp to him.  Standing outside he said there was a spot where he could see the wood.  Called roofers and l/m of same.  Office said they would have him stop by this afternoon.

My back hurts, not sure if it's from trying to scrub the tub yesterday, - or tension - probably a little of both.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Sorry that your back is hurting, tt. We with "sensitive" backs must watch out.
    Re your ceiling. If it gets wet, it will take some time to dry out - maybe several days to a week.  There is wallboard (mostly gypsum,  that drinks water like a blotter), insulation and just the timber. I would wait a week and test it again.
    We were fortunate, that our office roof behaved well during the last days of rain. Not a drop of water showed. But that doesn't mean we are safe. Any ceiling can leak anytime. Most people don't understand that. Water is so sneaky and it doesn't take much to look like the dikes opened up.
    Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm sitting here playing MahJong, and saw your post, Pingo.

Roofers came and went.  Cut a hole in the upstairs closet, looked in and down and said it was coming from the upstairs window, that the leak drains in sills were plugged and backing up.  Cleaned them out, caulked the V place my son had seen, cleaned the gutter over the downspout that was backed up, and will make later arrangements to plaster up the hole in the closet wall and repaint the ceiling, both after the wood in there has had a chance to dry out.  I'm dubious, seems strange that all of a sudden the window would cause a leak right after having a new roof put on.  However, will ask son when he has a chance to check in through hole in closet and see what he thinks.  Also, the next heavy rainfall will tell a lot.  Should be no more leaks if this was the problem.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT, I hope that your son's sharp eyes have found the vulnerable place.  Have you a dehumidifier that you could use to dry it out more thoroughly? I love mine; we use it in the basement and I hang clothes to dry there.  It's heavy though; a friend who had a flood came to borrow it once and we had great difficulty lifting it, so don't try to move one yourself.

It's so nice that I have been sitting outside with my cup of tea and book!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hats, maybe you missed I addressed your question earlier today on this page.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Boy tt, they are really looking around. Hope your son sees a difference and it gets taken care of soon. I'll be headed out son. I can't wait to see how much fun DS had at Six Flags today. This is the first weekend since September that there hasn't been any homework. 

- Darth Vadar

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

No, what I was saying was I hope that what he saw and what the roofers subsequently did will fix the problem.  Since they have tried before, and failed, I hope that your son's sharp eyes saw the real thing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hope we have a nice dry week-end, I'm sick of checking that ceiling for new stains.  Still can't swallow what they were trying to tell me about the window being the cause.  Too much of a coincidence.  However - - -  DIL stopped by on the way home from work and looked over the  hole they cut in the very narrow closet and didn't quite buy what they were telling me either.  They have a friend who does home inspections and she said she will ask him to take a look/see over the week-end if he has time.

So, what's up for everyone's Fathers Day?  I sent my cards off, and that's it.

Cheerio has not liked at all all the disruption around here today with men running in and out and ladders clanging against the walls, and banging.  Until my DIL came in, she had hunkered down under one of the comforters.  Now she has eaten supper, forgotten, and is crying for more.  Keeps showing me her empty plate.  Maybe she's like us and eats when she's upset! lol

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Despite your misgivings, tt, I hope they really did fix the problem and you never see another drop.  

Pingo, hoping your fix stays dry, too.

Got one gift for the trips - they are too young to feel slighted, and it's something they can all use. Toys R Us brand, imaginarium Discovery, "5-Way Activity Cube."  Technically, it's for 18m+ so mom and dad can decide when they are ready for it, hopefully giving them something new to pull out after the other things they get tomorrow are passe. :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

Succombed and turned the heat on.  I was too cold to even jump in the shower.  Just let it run through it's cycle once, and it took the chill/dampness off.  Heating oil companies love me!

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

Turning the heat on in the middle of June

Now Ive heard everything

OBN likes to project the image of stout frugality and thriftiness, but the reality is more like pampered luxury and extravagance

*shaking head in disbelief*

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, Ache. :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"Turning the heat on in the middle of June

Now Ive heard everything

OBN likes to project the image of stout frugality and thriftiness, but the reality is more like pampered luxury and extravagance

*shaking head in disbelief*"

You betcha!  After years of counting pennies, stretching dollars, now I'm living in the lap of luxury on my SS, small pension, and meager savings!  lol  There's your laugh for the morning, Ache. 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's PARTY DAY!!!  Half the cookies are baked, half in rolls to slice and bake later (minus the 4 I ate raw).  The gift is purchased, and DH is happy with it.  He will be amazed when he sees all the kids - it's been 9 months for him since I go on weekdays.

speaking of cold in June, I'm in my winter morning garb of fleece and wool socks...brrr.

Off to make java and breakfast.  More before we go.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You're up early, Kargiver -  did you bake the cookies yesterday?  The cube sounds like a perfect selection.  I don't go too much by the age given on the toys, kids seem to always be ahead of what's listed as their age capabilities.  I'm sure the three will have a lot of fun with it.  Feels like a great morning (door open as I fed and talked with Harry).  I'm going to go ahead and get dressed early, DIL's friend who is the house inspector, jogs by here fairly early mornings, and may just take a chance and knock at the door.  I saw yesterday when DIL was here, that the roofer who had taken the window apart, put the bottom drain slat back in backwards, leaving no drain hole where it should be!  Will I ever be done with this??

Ok, off to shower and dress and fold a basket of laundry I brought up last night, but never got to.  I know you'll have a wonderful time at the triplets party.  What are you wearing?

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, tt,

Gracie gets us up at 6 every morning, but usually I'm not posting tha early since I'm helping DH get out the door to work; he leaves around 7:30.  Yes, made the cookies yesterday and having a hard time not breaking into them for breakfast...I could, I guess; there's plenty!  Thanks for the feedback on the gift and age guide.  Yeah, maybe they'll give it to them right away - whatever they think will work best for them.  I think the 3 yo might like it, too, actually; there's counting and stuff on it.  I hear that pedis have these in their offices pretty often for how it appeals to a wide age range.

I'm wearing beige yoga pants (dressy enough to wear anywhere that isn't too fancy) and top I won't mind if little messy hands grab it, hahaha.

ETA: his putting the drain slat in backwards must solidify that uneasy feeling that he didn't actually fix the problem...ugh.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"ETA: his putting the drain slat in backwards must solidify that uneasy feeling that he didn't actually fix the problem...ugh."

YES, exactly!

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

Sections
Shortcuts