June 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: June 2013

Good morning early birds and others,
    tt, putting the slat back on backwards, gives me an uneasy feeling about the roofer. It should be a no brainer, for someone, who does this kind of work. Sorry, you have to keep dealing with this.

Kar, I love your gift. I am sure they (and their parents) will love it. It will occupy them for hours. And the cube has 5 sides, so they will all be able to play with it at the same time. Great gift!

Not much going on here today. Have laundry and ironing to do. DH took work home , so we will not be at the office today. Hopefully we will be able to enjoy our deck for a bit. It has been a while. I do need to go out to get some hanging plants. With all the rain, I postponed to pick them up.

Just learned, that our "guests" coming to look for college, is also bringing their married daughter and her two kids (she wanted to come and see Boston???). A 3 year old and a 6 months old. DH did talk them into rent an SUV w/ car seats for the kids. What is wrong w/ people? Maybe, we are the ones, who are nuts. TG we are going to TX, or they would have extended their stay. Now they will only be here from Friday night until Sunday. What ever they will do after that, is not my problem.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Window slat has been corrected, he stopped by to return a screw driver of mine he had and I told him about it - you'll get a laugh out of this one, he was on his way to a job putting in all new windows!!  I almost pointed out the irony, but just reiterated that I had very strong doubts that a window leak was the cause of the problem.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Too funny, tt. For the new job he is doing, I hope he learned by his mistake. Then is wasn't in vain.LOL

- Eleanor Roosevelt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

You betcha!  After years of counting pennies, stretching dollars, now I'm living in the lap of luxury on my SS, small pension, and meager savings!  lol  There's your laugh for the morning, Ache. 

I never said you were an heiress, trumpet. Just wasteful

Turning the heat on in the middle of June is a symbol of your spendthrift attitude (not to mention environmentally irresponsible!)

By the way, there is a new tt in town (Tim Tebow), so you better get used to sharing the spotlight around here

I hope your ego can handle it

Doubtful...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Hi Ache,  just thought I'd let you know (and anyone that doesn't have cable) 

ThisTv 5:30p today "Crissross" starring Goldie Hawn (1992)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Thank you, Robin

I will probably be watching US Open golf at that time

Maybe I will switch over during a commercial though

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to AcheNot's comment:

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

You betcha!  After years of counting pennies, stretching dollars, now I'm living in the lap of luxury on my SS, small pension, and meager savings!  lol  There's your laugh for the morning, Ache. 

I never said you were an heiress, trumpet. Just wasteful

Turning the heat on in the middle of June is a symbol of your spendthrift attitude (not to mention environmentally irresponsible!)

By the way, there is a new tt in town (Tim Tebow), so you better get used to sharing the spotlight around here

I hope your ego can handle it

Doubtful...

No one knows the details of someone else's living environment...it was cold and damp the other morning. I didn't turn my heat on...but I came really close.  Everyone is different...I know if I get a chill..it takes me hours to get rid of it.  If TT decided to turn on the heat to take the chill and dampness out of her house I don't blame her and it's no one's business. After all...she's the one paying the heating bill..she can do whatever she darn well pleases.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You said it miscricket!  Your post gave me a smile.  Ache and I go way back.  When he gets a little bored, he tries to get under my skin for a retort.  Obviously he had nothing else to do until the golf came on!  I couldn't think of a good line to sling back at him after his last post, so just let it go.  Tomorrow's another day, however.  I may be a little sharper then - or not -

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Miscricket - Amen!
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

No one knows the details of someone else's living environment...it was cold and damp the other morning. I didn't turn my heat on...but I came really close.  Everyone is different...I know if I get a chill..it takes me hours to get rid of it.  If TT decided to turn on the heat to take the chill and dampness out of her house I don't blame her and it's no one's business. After all...she's the one paying the heating bill..she can do whatever she darn well pleases.

I dont want to know the details. The big picture is scary enough

Burning fossil fuel in the middle of summer for the purpose of heating an already warm house up violates our environment. The carbon dioxide that trumpet is responsible for needlessly releasing into the atmosphere that day is an outrage and is representative of her selfish/"me first" lifestyle

Somebody had to call her on it. Glad it was me

OBN exposed once again...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

TT...it was my pleasuse. Besides..like I said...no one knows what another's environment is like. The apartment I used to live in seemed like it held the cold damp air and I would think nothing of turning the heat on to take away the chill. Even last night..I had to shut the bedroom windows and turn the air conditioning on low. Not because of the temperature...but because we got skunked and the smell was unbearable. I guess you have to take the good with the bad in nature. Yesterday afternoon..I spent a half hour or so just watching a family of cardinals hopping through the grass with the babies peeping away and fluttering around. It was awesome and really added to an already good day. Then..at night..the skunk strikes.

I guess you have to take the good with the bad in online forums as well. You have to see the humor in the fact that Ache rushed to this forum to criticize you for your "fossil fuel" use..when I am willing to bet he wasted far more fossil fuel watching his silly golf game for hours.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

Totally forgot the Bruins played last night until I turned on the morning news.  Glad they are bringing the games back to Boston tied.

I have cardinals, a male and female, at my feeder, miscricket, but have never seen a family of them.  Lucky you.  A week or so ago I did see sort of a straggly looking skinny one and figured he was a young one, but never more than the adult male and female together. 

Looks like a great day for all those Fathers' Day cookouts that are planned.  With all this rain, my grass that gets cut every 2 weeks, is looking pretty out of control.  I did see butterflies, two orange ones, at the butterfly bush out front yesterday.  Amazing how they find them.  Nanny friend says they will probably attract hummingbirds too.  Those things are so tiny, I can hardly see them until someone points them out to me.  There are other flowers G.T. planted out there that have attracted them tho, and they'll be much easier to spot against the rich purple spikes of the butterfly bushes.

Deciding what to take out for dinner and wishing I hadn't been so lazy as not to separate the 3 whole chicken breasts in a pkg I threw in the freezer.  There's always one of the multitude of individual containers of lasagna I froze.  Those things will last me six months!

Off to get dressed and have a little breakfast.  Lost the power for a couple of minutes just as I started typing this morning, but it's back on now.  Probably to do with my "selfish/me first attitude" of having the TV running when noone's watching it, while I wile away an hour in here on the computer chatting and playing mahjong!  --  Just one more game --

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

Ache is a teaser - like that harmless uncle that thought it was always funny to pull a quarter out of your ear - and you really didn't mind. If he gets a bite, he'll keep toying with ya. ;)

Ache, did you catch my photo in LoseIt before I took it down?  Not sure if I'd be happy or scared if you did, LOL.

Thanks for the affirmation regarding the gift after all my consternation!  We were happy with it - DH picked up on the fact, too, that it was a group gift but that they could all play with it at once.  And, the party was fabulous - the weather was so gorgeous we got to enjoy their backyard, a perfect setting and people we've come to know as family.

tt, if you don't mind leftovers days in a row, you can cook up something to heat and eat for a few days with the chicken.  I'd chop it into bite sized pieces after it's half thawed and then make one big dish or cook 1/3 of it every day in something different for 3 days.  Only takes 10 minutes tocook  that way so it's essentially heat and eat.

Your cardinals remind me I should fill the feeders including the humming bird one.  It's that time of year, again, with the birds around but the trumpet flowers not open yet.

Happy Father's Day to all the men of the Chat!  Tulips, thinking of you this particularly difficult one.

Blessings,

~kar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    What a gorgeous morning. Finished breakfast on the deck. Blueberry pancakes. I did ask DH, what he wanted for FD, and that was his wish. I overfilled them w/ blueberries, and they were the best ever.
    Glad the birthday party went well, Kar. But why shouldn't it, it was such a lovely day. Next time you visit them, they will all be busy playing with your toy.
    I have only one pair of Cardinals. Must have been awesome to watch the entire family. We have about 20 wild turkeys, thinking our back yard is theirs, and I think it scares bird families away w/ their young ones. DH brought our bird feeder back. He lifted it about 18 inches, so the squirrels can't reach it. We missed our feathered friends.
    If any of your guys need shirts, Macy's has a fantastic sale this weekend. Went to the Mall yesterday afternoon and picked up 7 shirts for DH for about $150. Same brands as he always wear that usually sells for $60 - 80.
    No real plans for today. We may take a ride up to Merrimack Outlet Mall. Have never been there, and are told it is a very nice mall. I am looking for a new swim suit. My old one is falling off me. Have been looking on the net. They are wildly expensive, and I don't need the latest of the latest fashion.
    DH cleaned our grill. Haven't used it for a couple of summers, so we may throw something on it for dinner tonight.
    Have a good day everyone, and Happy Father's Day to all Chat fathers.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sounds like a nice start to the day, Pingo.  I just threw a lemon bread in the oven.  Every time I buy fish I buy a lemon to squeeze on it, and never use the complete lemon up.  Determined this time to zest and juice it and get a lemon bread made.

Having trouble having to reregister/login each time I move around in here.  Send email to office and got a prompt reply telling me if I delete cookies that may be the problem as they use the cookies to recognize me.  I'll try not cleaning out my cookies as often.

Got to make my happy fathers day calls.  Have a good day.  Hope you're successful with your bathing suit hunt.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Umm! Love Lemon Bread. I always zest lemons, before I squeeze them for juice. Keep it in one of the small plastic spice jars in my freezer. It keeps well frozen, and I always have some to throw in, when it calls for it. 
    Just made up a batch of potato salad, in case we decide to grill later on. I am not sure, as it is going to rain later on.
    I am having trouble w/ BDC too. Everything takes forever to connect.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, should have thawed out all that chicken.  At least I did make a lemon bread - got a call about a half hour ago that my nephew, wife and dog are on their way down.  Took out my individual containers of lasagna and will reheat them together in a lasagna size dish.  Lemon bread to go with, and sliced up my strawberries and sugared, and took blueberries out of freezer and mixed in, and they will serve as a topping on chocolate swirl vanilla ice cream for dessert.  So glad I got that lemon bread made.

My son and his cookie making dau also stopped by to pick up the gifts I had bought the kids in Rockport.  She had on all the colors that were in the various bracelets, but didn't seem too enthused by them, put them back in the box when I asked her if she wanted to wear any of them.  I said "Look, there's a lime green like your top, and a pink and aqua like your shorts "  Son did suggest she check her "social calendar" and get back to me for a bake date next week.  The kids got out of school Friday.

So, instead of sitting here, I'm sure there is something else I can do, like forewarn Cheerio that she'll want to be hiding down cellar when their dog gets here.  He's used to their cats and wouldn't bother her, but Cheerio's not used to having dogs in the house.

Check in later.  Hope everyone is having a good day.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good afternoon, everyone,

Went to the farm co-op this morning then prepared the salad greens DH picked and washed.  Made tuna salad with my homemade zucchini pickles from last year to go with the salad.  Picked up some Feta Rosemary Cape Cod chips while DH was picking and washing.  YUM!

Wow, you inadvertantly saved the day with the lemon cake, tt - how fortuitous that you had that extra lemon!  Freeze-ahead lasagnas is something I might try.  I'd make the noodles so DH can have it...sometimes I just don't feel like cooking, and I have nothing in the wings that he can eat.  Me?  No problem, but he's harder to cook for.

Pingo, I like the zest every lemon idea.  It doesn't lose any flavor in the freezer?  Hope you can grill tonight.  Nothing better to go with grilled food than potato salad.

The in-laws will be here Tuesday and Wednesday.  Going out to dinner Tuesday night, but I'm planning for the rest.  Our strawberries are starting to come fast and furious so one of their favorites, strawberry shortcake, will be on the menu.  They are generally light eaters so they'll enjoy our salads, too.  Not much else to worry about since they don't do a lot for breakfast other than coffee, fruit and Cheerios.  Got to get the guest room put together, dusted, and such.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

TT...it was my pleasuse. Besides..like I said...no one knows what another's environment is like. The apartment I used to live in seemed like it held the cold damp air and I would think nothing of turning the heat on to take away the chill. Even last night..I had to shut the bedroom windows and turn the air conditioning on low. Not because of the temperature...but because we got skunked and the smell was unbearable. I guess you have to take the good with the bad in nature. Yesterday afternoon..I spent a half hour or so just watching a family of cardinals hopping through the grass with the babies peeping away and fluttering around. It was awesome and really added to an already good day. Then..at night..the skunk strikes.

I guess you have to take the good with the bad in online forums as well. You have to see the humor in the fact that Ache rushed to this forum to criticize you for your "fossil fuel" use..when I am willing to bet he wasted far more fossil fuel watching his silly golf game for hours.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

Wow. Now I understand why jackbu has such a low opinion of you. Gonna give you the benefit of the doubt though and assume the skunk smell you mention in your post was still stuck up your nostrils and prevented your brain from functioning normally this morning

Anyway, solar panels on my roof provide me with enough energy every month to watch 10,000 hours of golf if I wanted to. Exactly zero drops of fossil fuel was burned on my behalf at some far off energy producing plant to allow me to watch the Open yesterday. ZERO. So you lose the bet

And FYI: Ive informed the EPA about the environmental disaster tt's house has become. Three dozen federal agents are expected to swoop in to the disaster site first thing tomorrow morning. Heavy fines for multiple, gross violations likely. And who knows? Maybe even jail time (although I doubt it)

For blowing the whistle on trumpet, I am being called a hero by many local environmentalists. I'm no hero though. Just a friend of planet earth (FPE), who refuses to sit by while others seek to destroy it through reckless behavior (like flipping on the furnace in the middle of June!)

*still shaking my head in disbelief*

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:

Ache, did you catch my photo in LoseIt before I took it down?  Not sure if I'd be happy or scared if you did, LOL.

No, I didnt see it. Picture of what?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Me. :)  I had meant to post something else, but bdc decided the photo DH took of me this past Valentine's the night we got all gussied up and went out was a better choice and replaced what I had posted with that.  Sorry you missed it.

I dreamed I ran into you "out there" and somehow we recognized each other.  The dream itself was nonremarkable, though, other than that...can't actually recall it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

In response to AcheNot's comment:

No, I didnt see it. Picture of what?

Ache, you are too funny!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Me. :)  I had meant to post something else, but bdc decided the photo DH took of me this past Valentine's the night we got all gussied up and went out was a better choice and replaced what I had posted with that.  Sorry you missed it.

I dreamed I ran into you "out there" and somehow we recognized each other.  The dream itself was nonremarkable, though, other than that...can't actually recall it.

Damn. Sorry I missed it. Would liked to have seen it

Good to know Ive entered your dream space though

The sequence involving me was "unremarkable", huh? Hmmm. Not sure I am buying that:)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In response to RockinRobin39's comment:

Ache, you are too funny!

Thank you, Robin, but I wasnt trying to be funny in the post you are responding to:)

Btw every time I turned to that movie yesterday, I saw scenes involving a young, blonde haired kid. No Goldie. Was she even in the film??

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Hi all--I am trying to catch up, as usual, --on pg 6, so I figured by the time I was done catching up, it would be bedtime!  Had my nieces rehersal and wedding last weekend down in Plymouth. Thank God that awful heavy rain was gone for the wedding day! The wedding was outside in a tent, but they did have full use of the clubhouse, too. Everythig was beautiful, and of course the bride was stunning.  Nice getting all the family together. They did  a rememberance for my DH during the ceremony, which I was not expecting, so that threw me a bit, but it was very appreciated that she thought enough of him to mention him on her special day.  Yesterday I had a dinner invite from one of our couple friends to Outback, but I had plans for a cookout with my neighbors. Today , one of my sisters dropped by, and I had 3 invitations--Mom's, Legal Seafood, and Cheesecake Facty. What am I doing???? Laundry!! I really did not feel like going out. Love lazy days, and usually do that at least one weekend day. Just me and kitty here today-DS is working until 5--I may make a meatloaf.  OOPs--gotta go--neighbor walking up ....

Let us always meet each other with a smile, for the smile is the beginning of love. 

Sections
Shortcuts