June 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re: June 2013

In response to AcheNot's comment:

In response to RockinRobin39's comment:

Ache, you are too funny!

Thank you, Robin, but I wasnt trying to be funny in the post you are responding to:)

Btw every time I turned to that movie yesterday, I saw scenes involving a young, blonde haired kid. No Goldie. Was she even in the film??

It wasn't that great, GH looked good, she wore cut off blue jeans and a t shirt most of the time.

ETA: GH will turn 68 before this year is over,  that gives me hope!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Hi Tulips, I'm glad you are having some company today, and the best kind, informal!  It is indeed nice to knowsweet that your niece remembered DH fondly, but I can understand that you may have been a bit taken aback.  Glad the weather cooperated for her! 

After the lawn is done and all showers taken, I may also do a little laundry, since it's cool.   It's a very lazy day here, just hot dogs and corn planned for dinner.  I am snacking on an apple right now.  But planning some good food for the next couple of weekends' parties and working on an extensive shopping list and I'll have to make a plan for cleaning up the house. 

I too have some phone calls to make....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Company just left with half the lemon bread and the leftover lasagna, enough for another meal for them for supper.  Always enjoy seeing him, my sister's boy. Cheerio has come back up from the cellar with eyes as big as saucers.  Sent their dog off with a hunk of provolone, his favorite!

Had to laugh at nephew, he was really dreading driving route 1 - so funny.  He hates driving that stretch of road.  Lives up in the country - Madbury NH where traffic is a lot slower, I guess, at least to hear him tell it.  You should have heard the long drawn out detours he was thinking of taking to avoid taking an exit onto route 1.  He's no kid either.

Good to see a post from you Tulips.  Sometimes the first holidays after the loss of a loved one are more comfortable spent alone.

Kargiver, wish I had a garden to raid for supper.  My salad fixings are all gone and I don't feel like running out to the store.

Pingo, did you get up to the NH mall?

Hats, sounds as tho you're having a nice leisurely day.  Meant to answer you about the dehumidifier - no I don't have one.  I'm thinking leaving that hole (more the size of a door) open in the back of the closet, will let a lot of the warm house air get in there and help dry it out.

Thanks, Ache, for the head's up about the raid tomorrow.  I'll clean up my act before they bust down the doors.  I have to tell you tho, they aren't going to put a sweet little old lady like me in the hoosegow.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

Hi all,

I'm being lazy this afternoon. DH and DS have gone golfing for the afternoon and DD is out cold in my lap. I really need to get up and make something for dinner and do something with the 6 pounds of hamburger I bought yesterday. 

Tulips, is there any chance your niece's wedding was at a golf course with cranberry bogs?  Your description of the tent with use of t h e clubhouse was familiar. 

This will be my first Monday at work and I just can't get motivated to get a move on! I've got 6 baskets of laundry to put away and I should really take advantage of DD's nap.

Have a nice evening ~saw

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sorry work has seemed to come around so fast, SAW.  Hope it won't be long before you're back in the swing of it.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ache, I wrestled with telling you about my non-exciting dream, knowing it would be painful to you that it wasn't more memorable, but it was cool to "see" you and ultimately decided you'd be pleased to know you got some dream time, anyway. ;)  I have no idea what Robin found funny, but glad you gave her a chuckle.  I'm sorry you missed it, too; just not comfortable posting it, again, on purpose.

Tulips, honestly, just pop in any time - no need to catch up, just skim if you want and whatever catches your eye is good enough.  How special your niece honored her uncle at the wedding; he must have been very special to her.  I can't keep up with your social life, lol - you'd be so bored out here!

Walked Gracie pretty far today and did the Father's Day calls on the way.  Hard to hold her leash, the phone, and swat mosquitos.  They are out!  Just wolfed down a pork chop - DH doesn't want to eat meat these days so I just grilled a few for myself.

Won't be around much tomorrow as I'll be preparing for the in-laws.  Need to do the regular Monday morning chores, will make a fruit salad for breakfasts, and I have to plan stuff to do with my MIL while the "boys" are in their golf tournament through Friday morning.  Hm...not too exciting out here in these parts, but at least she'll enjoy walking with me and Gracie.

ETA:  SAW, best wishes going back to work!!  The laundry can wait - enjoy your Sunday evening.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

In response to SAW73's comment:

Hi all,

I'm being lazy this afternoon. DH and DS have gone golfing for the afternoon and DD is out cold in my lap. I really need to get up and make something for dinner and do something with the 6 pounds of hamburger I bought yesterday. 

Tulips, is there any chance your niece's wedding was at a golf course with cranberry bogs?  Your description of the tent with use of t h e clubhouse was familiar. 

This will be my first Monday at work and I just can't get motivated to get a move on! I've got 6 baskets of laundry to put away and I should really take advantage of DD's nap.

Have a nice evening ~saw

Yes, there were bogs. OHoh--where you there?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:

Ache, I wrestled with telling you about my non-exciting dream, knowing it would be painful to you that it wasn't more memorable, but it was cool to "see" you and ultimately decided you'd be pleased to know you got some dream time, anyway. ;)  I have no idea what Robin found funny, but glad you gave her a chuckle.  I'm sorry you missed it, too; just not comfortable posting it, again, on purpose.

Tulips, honestly, just pop in any time - no need to catch up, just skim if you want and whatever catches your eye is good enough.  How special your niece honored her uncle at the wedding; he must have been very special to her.  I can't keep up with your social life, lol - you'd be so bored out here!

Walked Gracie pretty far today and did the Father's Day calls on the way.  Hard to hold her leash, the phone, and swat mosquitos.  They are out!  Just wolfed down a pork chop - DH doesn't want to eat meat these days so I just grilled a few for myself.

Won't be around much tomorrow as I'll be preparing for the in-laws.  Need to do the regular Monday morning chores, will make a fruit salad for breakfasts, and I have to plan stuff to do with my MIL while the "boys" are in their golf tournament through Friday morning.  Hm...not too exciting out here in these parts, but at least she'll enjoy walking with me and Gracie.

ETA:  SAW, best wishes going back to work!!  The laundry can wait - enjoy your Sunday evening.

Kar--my social life is not much--I am pretty much a home/neighborhood person. But I do have a lot of life long friends watching out for me! And family.    Notice--I  got invites, but stayed home!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Thanks for the advice Kar..and I will definitely follow it regarding the "crazy uncle"..lol

Glad everyone had a nice day. We went to my nephew's for a cookout and had a very nice time. It was a nice ending to a very stressful week which involved some sad health news for DH.

It was really cool seeing the family of cardinals yesterday. I watched from my bedroom window ...not moving a muscle. They only flew away when my cat could no longer contain her curiousity at what I was doing and joined me at the window.

I can't believe the weekend is over. It feels like it never even started!

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

Tulips,  I wasn't there but the men in my life are golfing there at this very moment :) DH has known the owner his entire life. It's one of the only golf courses in the area, where they are thrilled to see a 4 year old golf 18 holes! Particularly on father's day, it was packed when we went by earlier. DS must be behaving himself since I have not been called to pick him up yet. 

I did get off my butt and start supper,  velveta mac and cheese with leftover chicken thighs from the smoker last night. I also got a double batch of pancakes made before DD decided she was hungry. 

Kar and TT, thanks for the wishes.  This will be my first full week, I was officially back last Wednesday. And at least the laundry is folded. I did that as I took it off the line. Just need to match the socks! 

~ saw

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You got a heck of a lot done in a short period of time, SAW!  Your supper sounds good.  Since I had had a salad before I knew nephew was coming, and then a square of lasagna with them when they ate, my supper was just a sliced bosc pear and some cottage cheese.  Just enough - that is, finished off with 3 or 4 Hershey kisses!

Miscricket I hope your husband's health news was not of a serious kind.  I've heard from 3 friends already this week with unexpected test results.

I've depleted my strawberries and a good part of the blueberry stash, so will have to make a trip to the supermarket tomorrow to get more.  Company today opted for a dessert of just dishes of sliced strawberries mixed with blueberries, the sugar having coaxed a nice juice from the strawberries.  Sometimes the simplest dishes hit the spot.

I'm sure your relatives are looking forward to your strawberry shortcakes, Kargiver.  Luckily, that's one thing we can replicate, maybe not as delicious, but still replicate, year-round.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

You got a heck of a lot done in a short period of time, SAW!  Your supper sounds good.  Since I had had a salad before I knew nephew was coming, and then a square of lasagna with them when they ate, my supper was just a sliced bosc pear and some cottage cheese.  Just enough - that is, finished off with 3 or 4 Hershey kisses!

Miscricket I hope your husband's health news was not of a serious kind.  I've heard from 3 friends already this week with unexpected test results.

I've depleted my strawberries and a good part of the blueberry stash, so will have to make a trip to the supermarket tomorrow to get more.  Company today opted for a dessert of just dishes of sliced strawberries mixed with blueberries, the sugar having coaxed a nice juice from the strawberries.  Sometimes the simplest dishes hit the spot.

I'm sure your relatives are looking forward to your strawberry shortcakes, Kargiver.  Luckily, that's one thing we can replicate, maybe not as delicious, but still replicate, year-round.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

Hi TT...sadly it is somewhat serious although we will find out more in the weeks to come. He has something wrong with an artery leading to his heart that the Dr. tried to fix but couldn't because of a genetic abnormality.  Right now he is on medication which could or could not work for years....the other alternative is open heart surgery...which comes with a lot of risks as well. We are going to follow up and explore options and figure out the best plan. Was not an easy week...but we will get through this together.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Oh Miscricket, you and your DH will be in my prayers.

Let us always meet each other with a smile, for the smile is the beginning of love. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

Miscricket, my FIL has been having heart issues and we've been told that the best cardiologists are at brigham and women's and mass general. Good luck :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

So sorry to hear that miscricket.  We are so lucky that we have the best hospitals right here in Boston, and that most outlying hospitals now have a program set up where the Boston doctors do also see patients in city and town hospitals.  Your family is in my prayers.

Had a devil of a time getting in here tonight to read the posts and then to reply.  Reregistered/logged in several times, and even then got a blank page with just the heading, then a notice that Boston.com was not responding - - on and on and on

I'm shutting the computer down for the night now.  Aggravated beyond description.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good Monday morning, everyone,

mc, sorry to hear you and DH are going through this, and I hope the best solution becomes readily apparent soon and this news and whatever needs to be done is behind him quickly.  We will add our prayers.

SAW, thinking of you this first day of your first full week back.  Best!

Tulips, anyone going out for a glass of wine and visit after dark has more of a social life than we do, lol.  Especially glad you are part of a strong network of great friends and family since DH passed to Glory.

tt, my shortcakes are not any different (don't tell DH I said that!) than everyone else's, really.  The ones in the store taste the same to me! :)

Speaking of strawberries...it has BEGUN.  I know what  my MIL and I will be doing while the guys are golfing, lol.  (Not really...well, maybe a little if she wants.  But, I have to get out there and get to it regardless.)  I told the trips' mom they are welcome to come here as soon as it's more fun than chore to leave the house to have a pick day when the strawberries and blueberries are harvestable.  Her 3 yo is old enough to enjoy that - the blueberry bushes are just her size.

DH is spraying the apples one last time.  They get destroyed if we don't do it in the Spring.  

Got to get moving...so much to do today and so little time to do it!  

Have a great day - will be on later, I'm sure.  Yes, it's been frustratingly slow and difficult to navigate.  Hopefully, that means they are working on the bugs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Speaking of strawberries the farm down the street from me has the best.  Expensive but I still buy a few quarts while they last.  So sweet and yummy.

I am ready for summer to be here.

I love to travel and am not home much on the weekends as we have a 2nd home.  But when I get home home I love it:)  Right now I don't have another vacation planned and it is driving me nuts. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    DH woke me up at 6:30,  "Forgot to tell you, someone is coming at 7 to fix the leak from the A/C." Then he left.
    Not the best way for me to start my morning. Got ready in a rush - then waited. They are here right now, taking down part of my ceiling. They will probably be here most of the day. We had an overflow from our A/C, due to a clogged up pipe, that leaked into our family room. Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. But due to the cold Spring, DH let it slide. Argh! Now, we have a headache.
    The plasterers were working on another job of ours, and I should be grateful, they could come and fix it right away. But ----!!!!
    So sorry to learn about your DH's problems, miscricket. Glad for you, he is under the best care available. My prayers are w/ you and your husband. These days the docs can do miracles.
    Had a sad e-mail from a GF of mine. Her live-in partner of 30 plus years, has an enlarged spleen due to a mild??? leukemia. They are at MGH for a couple of days to see, what the docs can do about it. He can only eat and drink very small portions, b/c the spleen take up most of the room in his stomach area. So now he is malnutritioned and dehydrated.
    It makes me feel so grateful, that all my Arthritis pain and aches are nothing compared to what others have to deal with.
    Re strawberries. Friday, I picked up two boxes of strawberries at TJ's. By mistake, I picked up one organic and one non-organic one. Couldn't use them that night - so I put them in the refrigerator. Sat. morning I had to throw out the organic ones. They were all molded. The non-organic ones, we had for dessert last night. Not a speck on them. Kar, count your blessings, you can go and pick them up right outside your door. I know, lots of work for you. Wish I could share it w/ you.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. DS was excited that he has a half day today and tomorrow and then he is done. His camp starts next Monday, he's with his dad on Wednesday, DH on Thursday and I'm home Friday. Next year since he'll be 13 he'll be able to stay home on the few days that he needs too. He is going to regular day camp, but is going to Celtics day camp for a week in July, which he's very excited about.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

delete/posted in the wrong thread

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Exciting for your son to be going to the Celtics basketball camp, Winter.  That's a big deal for anyone.

Nothing going on here today.  Wish I had plans to go off somewhere, but noone around to go off with.  Poking in stores I like doing alone, but driving off somewhere, it's more fun to have a friend along to talk with.

Same trouble trying to move around in here as I had yesterday, click, and then I get a blank page, or the reregister/login page - have done that probably 3 times this morning, just trying to move around to read posts.  Also, when I pulled up Pingo's post, the first pp was there and then the rest of the page was filled with ads that normally go alongside.  So, I'll leave the boards to you girls today.  Will try to catch up on reading what's going on with all of you later in the day.

ETA:  It could be the "feds" with a bug on my computer postings, now that Ache has sic'd them on me!  Noone showed up at the door this morning, so again he was using scare tactics.  I was all ready too, with a banana bread to serve them that I baked in my little easy bake oven, using only two 100 watt light bulbs.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Good morning, I had a chance to post via my phone while my work computer is being looked at by the technician.  I job share with another person and we each work 2.5 days a week but I only have two full days in the office (and have to make up the other 1/2 day at night and during the weeekends) so I hate losing even five minutes of office time but someone else in our office has reported computer troubles so they have to reboot the entire system. A good chance to say hello on the forums.

I haven't noticed any issues with the boards but I almost always read/post via my iphone and can't see the ads that way.  Maybe it's the ads that are causing the bugs.

We had a nice weekend celebrating Fathers' day.  We had a lunch bbq with my extended family and the dads mostly relaxed.  My girls enjoyed playing outside and my DD1 (age 3) even went in the kiddie pool even though it wasn't very warm out.  She doesn't care.  Then we went home to my house and my MIL came over and surprised us with dinner. Nice to not have to cook!  She made meatloaf and both my DDs liked it. 

DD2 (age 10 months) learned to pull herself up and she is getting the hang of "cruising" by holding onto a piece of furniture and walking around.  She figured out how to climb the stairs and has become an expert so we all have to remember to close the gate at the bottom of the stairs.  It's a little hard for DD1 to remember and this morning she left the gate open and before I even realized it, DD2 was 1/2way up the stairs with a  giant smile on her face!  Luckily she was ok but gave me a scare!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, Pingo, the non-organic fruits and vegetables have been genetically modified to NOT ROT.  Extra shelf life and bigger yields is why they made the changes, so fruits and vegetables can stay perfect looking and firm long after they are picked.  Doesn't it make you wonder a little bit about eating fruit that isn't prone to spoil?  Our strawberries go bad in 2 days.  That's why you pay more for organic; it's not a scam, it costs more to handle food that spoils as fast as nature intended, doesn't yield as much per season, and is not genetically pest-resistant.

Ache pokes fun FOR fun - he isn't serious.

Winter, exciting summer ahead for DS, what a fun age!!

Pingo, sorry for your friend's news.  By mild do they mean curable?

tt, I think you called it - I'm probably being traced, too, for defending the troublemaker!

Rama, got a kick out of your post; reminded me of the 1 year old triplets with their 3 yo sister...hilarious and yet so scary sometimes!!!

ok, back to the pre-guest grind!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, I do envy you, your "just picked from the patch" strawberries. That was the way I was growing up. However, as much as I go for organic veggies and fruits - I feel sad to throw out stuff, b/c it went bad before we could consume it. The non-organic strawberries have served us well. The entire world live on them.
    Our friend had this mild???? version of leukemia for several years. I really don't know what they mean by "mild". Maybe they expected it to be curable, but now it has shown it's ugly head. He really hasn't been well for several months. We went out to eat w/ them a few months ago. He seemed very fine in all ways, except we thought it was strange, he just ordered soup. And he is used to be a hearty eater.
    Re Ache and Robin. They must be really bored, since nothing is going on at their usual forum sites. So they come here to the chat, to try to shake us up a bit. Best to leave them alone. LOL

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

Sections
Shortcuts