June 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Re: June 2013

In response to RockinRobin39's comment:

"Re Ache and Robin. They must be really bored, since nothing is going on at their usual forum sites. So they come here to the chat,  to try to shake us up a bit. Best to leave them alone. LOL"

Wow, you guys can really read people, NOT!

ignore button photo: Ignore Button thignorebutton.gif

BTW: This is a joke, it's funny (imo)!

I'll step out now...

I'm not bored. Are you, Robin?

Nothing going on our usual forum sites? Is she kidding? I have a ton of work I need to get to right now in preparation for the RGBAD V. I barely have time to breathe, I'm so swamped. Wow

Pingo, I have much affection for you, but in this instance, youre way off base

Okay, I will step out now too...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh my, oh my! Such a busy day posting.
    Where do I start? Well, I will start w/ myself. My workers came and left. Italians. Never, ever have I had such wonderful workers in my home. Ceilings and plastering etc. give me the goose pimples. Dust, dust, dust all over the place. Not this this time. They did their job, which included taking part of the ceiling down. Then fixed it and left. You wouldn't even know, they have been here. Cleaned everything up and put everything in place as it was, before they started.
    When they arrived, the guy told me, "We won't make much of a mess." I was, "Yeah! Right". And truly, they didn't. These guys were a dream come true. I am going to recommend them on Angie's List. They truly deserve it.
    After they left, I went to Hannaford to pick up a few things. I have never before run out of eggs. But I did today using overripe bananas for muffins.
    Did my shopping and got pelted leaving the store. It was a beautiful summer rain and I didn't mind. Everything smelled just wonderful.
    Now, at home it is coming down pretty heavily. It is drumming on my skylight as we speak.
    Congrats to your son, Winter, for having the teacher keeping his poster. You must be so proud. Good job, Kiddo!
    Both our boys went to St. John's Prep. It was not easy for us to manage at the time. Not only the tuition, but I drove them up and down 128/95 every single school day, until they got their licenses. And they both had so many after school activities, that I could never pick them up at the same time. There were times, my bum was so sore from sitting in the car all day. But looking back, it was some of the best sacrifices, I ever did. If your sons/grandsons have a chance to be accepted there, please try to manage. You will never regret it. It is definitely one of the best HS in the area. The kids going there get a good idea, how college will be like.
    Picked up a couple of pork chops and I am going to make Winters pork chops for dinner tonight. Except, I will do them in my pressure cooker instead of the slow cooker. Will let you know, how they come out.
    Have a good evening all. Sorry for my rambling away.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, hats, I love grilled pork chops and have ways I keep them juicy.  First, the USDA safe temp for pork has gone down from 165 (tough and dry) to 145 (succulent).  This means it CAN safely be a little pink unlike what our parents taught us about pork.  It's a logistical challenge, but if you have a probe thermometer it's worth using especially if you get nice, thick chops.  Cook to 140, rest to 145.  An instant read is better than nothing, but you obviously have to take a potentially done one off the grill and fuss with it.  The other tip is that whenever you grill, hot and fast is better than low and slow.  Oh, and bone in chops will be juicier than boneless.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

My grill has a thermometer, so when I cook beef I let it get to 700 degrees before I put the meat on.  Will do that with the chops which are bone in; MB has them for 1.89/lb this week so I decided it was a good time to try grilling them.  And I agree about not over cooking, I long ago decided that trichinosis was rare enough to take the chance.  Will let you all know tomorrow.

Pingo, Italians are well known to be the best masons and plasterers.  The US Capitol and many other great buildings were built by Italians who were imported just for that purpose.

There was an article I saw the other day; scientists have figured out the Ancient Romans' recipe for concrete!  Theirs has lasted over 2000 years, modern decays after 50. Now they will be tinkering with modern recipes to make better building materials, especially for marine applications.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I meant a meat thermometer you stick in the thickest chop that alerts you when it gets to 140 degrees in the center...but a grill thermometer is nice, too, so you know it's hot enough to put them on.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, great news about your fix it guys experience.  Too rare for contractors to do such a nice job.  Reminds me of my move with Marahton movers in 2006 - had a terrible migraine, and they set everything up as per my pre-drawn floor plan AND when the bed was put together (which the Russian said in a heavy accent, "We will assemble bed first") picked me up and put me in it.  Ripped open a bag marked "blankets" and covered me up.  By the time they were done, I was able to get up and pay.  It was bad, and they were like angels.  Moving angels.

I had pork chops last night that I managed to get tough and dry...oh, well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Hi everyone... Thanks for the good wishes regarding DH. I am still having a bit of a hard time with the news..but he rolls with the punches. He has dealt with these kinds of issues since childhood. I agree that we are lucky to live in an area where we have the best of the best in medical care. I've known DH's cardiologist for over 20 years...so I would trust the life of anyone I cared for with him. He is arranging for a colleague of his at Lahey Clinic to consult and hopefully come up with another solution.

Mondays are meatless in our house so made a nice veggie stir fry with some fresh veggies I bought over the weekend.  All that chopping was very therapuetic..lol When we were coming home from my nephew's yesterday we drove by a local farm and I no ticed that the local strawberries  are ready..so I will stop one afternoon this week after work. We have a plethura of blueberries and other fruit right now so I don't want to add to it!

The sky is bizarre out there. Very changeable weather. We've already had one quick thunderstorm and my little grey terror( tinks) has not left my side. She does not like storms..lol

TT..that's too funny about your nephew not wanting to drive Route 1. My nephew and most of the people I know dread Rte 1 . I don't mind it at all...with one caveat. I will not..and I repeat will not drive over the Tobin Bridge...so if I am going into Boston from that direction..I get off and take Rte 99 through Charlestown.

MsObstinate..thanks for your comment.  After Kar's explanation..I am looking at Ache's posts in a different light. He does seem like a teaser and some of his comments are funny...as long as they are not hurtful to TT..then I will take Kar's advice and laugh and shake my head. I have enough of those "crazy uncles" on one side of the family to get it..lol

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thunder and lightening have stopped, and the rain too - for the minute anyway.

Ache, now you've done it - you know how closely over the years I have guarded my anonymity, and now with the artist's rendition of me in my red convertible, you'll cause people to doubt my declaration of driving a 17 year old Nissan.  Next you'll show me sporting my rhinestone rimmed glasses instead of the purple ones I've steadfastly claimed were mine.  I thought you understood my need to keep my identity hidden.  I think your loyalties lie elsewhere.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

mc, men seem to be able to process things more stoicly (sp?) than us girls.  please keep us updated as you feel comfortable.  Glad to know you can see what I'm talking about re Ache - we go back to ~2005 so I'm 100% confident in his good nature.  (But, shhh, don't tell - I think he likes to keep people guessing.)

Just watched a quirky, fun, but fairly deep movie DH picked on Netflix, "Safety Not Guaranteed."  Now, off to the bedtime routine.  There is still much to do before my in-law arrive at 3 tomorrow.  Add strawberry picking since tonight it rained and DH couldn't pick them as he'd planned.

good night

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

Ache, now you've done it - you know how closely over the years I have guarded my anonymity, and now with the artist's rendition of me in my red convertible, you'll cause people to doubt my declaration of driving a 17 year old Nissan.  Next you'll show me sporting my rhinestone rimmed glasses instead of the purple ones I've steadfastly claimed were mine.  I thought you understood my need to keep my identity hidden.  I think your loyalties lie elsewhere.

trumpet, youre not making any sense. By altering your looks slighty and by changing the make/model of your car, the artist did protect your anonymity. As I told him to. Your sisters at OBN understand the picture is just a facsimile, not a depiction of the real thing. So you didnt lose any credibilty with them. Please relax

Now go get some sleep. You must be exhausted. Youve had a very emotional day: the Feds tearing your house apart...Jorge Quiroga livetweeting from your front yard...Environment Now magazine naming you 'The Most Hated Woman in America'...yeah, it's been a rough one

Good night. I hope your tomorrow is more pleasant for you

And by the way my loyalty lies where it always has: with the truth and with protecting our beloved planet earth...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good morning all, looks like lots going on around here, that's always nice.

Nothing too exciting here.  Had a quiet weekend, now back to the weekly grind.    I do have to agree with you gals about the strawberries!  Yum!  I do love summer fruit!

Glad you were happy with the work done Pingo.  I know how difficult it is to find good people.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Good morning!  Yes summer fruit is nice - I had a yummy salad made with nectarines this weekend, and we've had two lovely honeydew melons too.  So easy to serve fruit salad with dinner rather than starch or veggies! Also made a blueberry cake for breakfasts - I'll have a piece in a little while.  I will put strawberries on my shopping list.

I'll be running around a lot for the rest of the week.  Lots to do before the summer routine is established and things quiet down.  We did some cleaning out yesterday and there's a big pile of bags by the door waiting to be carried down and put in storage or into the car for distribution to the Goodwill, library, etc.

Cricket, I hope the doctors can find a satisfactory treatment for your husband's ailment.  I am sure he is getting good care at MGH and Lahey.  Lahey has saved my life a couple of times; the higher ups there are generally really good.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Slept in a little later this morning.  Glad to get up to see the sun.  Coffee is brewing and I'll be out and about by 10:00.

You've inspired me once again, Hats, to get those work suits and jackets that I'm never going to wear again, into a bag for Vietnam Vets pickup.  I loved them so when I bought them, it's hard for me to just send them off not knowing if anyone else will enjoy them. I'm great at cleaning out drawers and tossing stuff, but clothes and knickknacks are another thing.  Have had my share of yard sales and none were that profitable, and now lugging all that stuff out and setting up would be too difficult.  I do keep ahead of the books, only hold onto those I know I'll read again, in fact have a bag  of them to drop off today for our library's ongoing book sale.

Didn't get up to S&S yesterday, so may try to fit them in to my running around today too, for salad fixings and more fruit.  Checked Brooksby Farm online yesterday, and not quite sure if there farmstand store is open yet.  Probably a little early for produce, altho they do have strawberry picking as soon as the berries are ripe.

Kargiver, you'll have fun with your company, and they'll enjoy the country way of life you can provide with your gardens.

Time for coffee, and -  .  Hope you all have a good day.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Not sure Ache will appreciate being thought of as an "uncle" lol.  Do you suppose he's a father and celebrated Father's Day?

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Uncle Ache? Not bad. Smooting off the edges. Welcome to the Chat, Uncle Ache!

- Eleanor Roosevelt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

In a total panic given I have about 2 hours to spend in the strawberry patch, and they are coming around 3:00.  Need to pick, wash, slice and sugar the berries, make two sets of biscuits (they would NOT like the sprouted spelt version), and fruit salad to chop for breakfasts for the week.  They don't eat much other than fruit for breakfast so that will be easy after the initial chopping (like mc, I find chopping therapeutic, lol, but not when I'm under the gun - that's when I cut myself!).

Indeed, I'm blessed to have in-laws I actually enjoy being with. And, we are going out to dinner tonight so no worries there.  Just need to get the shortcake made, but truth be told I can do that after they arrive.

The strawberry "nachos" sound good, Pingo.  Everyone has their hearts set on shortcake this time, but we have a million and one berries so we can do that another time.  All her beds and blankets/crate stuff is washed so no doggie smell.  Not that it was that bad, but still, it's nice and fresh.  As is the quilt on the guest bed - it gets dusty and stale...yuck.

I'd like to walk Gracie before they come, the bathrooms, floors, and dusting...ack.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Prioritize, Kargiver, prioritize - - sliced fruit for breakfasts can be done later while you and MIL chat.  Bathroom cleaning first, then biscuits.  MIL might enjoy picking the strawberries for supper after they arrive.  After sitting, she'll probably be glad to be out there moving around - unless we have those showers they're mentioning - don't give yourself the start of a migraine to a visit you'll enjoy otherwise.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh my lovely "best" friend. How I can feel w/ you. You are such a great host. I try to be one. Your in-laws sound to be a lot easier to deal w/ than mine though.
    I am sure your strawberry short cakes are the best ever. I only threw in the "Strawberry Nachos" - in case you needed to serve strawberries more than once. 
    I searched the IT and found some very delectable grilling recipes for my upcoming veggie company. Eating outside is a lot more casual, so I am just hoping for good weather. The grilling takes time and will releave me of company chat w/ people, I don't even know.
    I will man the grill; DH will do the talk. Which he is really good at. LOL
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, tt is right. Try to prioritize. I know, it is not easy at times. If I send out my relatives to pick strawberries, they would stare at me and call 911. LOL
    But I think in your case, tt is into something. It does sound like your in-laws are easy going people. Count on that.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

good morning everyone. So what happaned, yesterday my son was born and today at noon he leaves school as a 7th grader and 13 is coming up in 3 months!!!

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter, I do feel your sentiment. Time passes so fast. I was not a bad parent, but here are times, I wish I had spend more time with my boys growing up. There are times I feel I could have put in an hour or two more playing with them and their Legos.
    I always read to them at bedtime, but at time was rushed. So sad those times are not coming back.
    As parents, we have too many things going on at the same time. Still, my boys turned out fine. It is just me - being aware, that those precious times never return.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh Pingo, how I understand. I've always worked full time so I try to jam so much into the weekends as I can. 

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, ladies!  You are right, MIL needs something to do all the time so fixing strawberries and chopping fruit will be a perfect task.  Last time with nothing assigned she ended up taking rinsed dishes out of the dish washer, drying them with a towel and laying them on the counter (thankfully, not knowing where they go).  There was nothing we could do but laugh as I put them all back in the dishwasher, lol.

Winter, I teared up at your "yesterday/today" sentiment...it does go by so fast.

ok, back to work :)

Sections
Shortcuts