June 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: June 2013

Rabbit is out there again tonight.  Looked a few minutes before I finished posting, and no signs of him.  He's in the same spot.  I'll have to remember tomorrow to check around 7:30.  What a beauty he is, not your little cottontail.  Glad he is getting the clover or whatever it is he's finding in the grass, before they mow it down.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I love Costco...you meet the nicest people there..and the staff is always so helpful. They must be a great company to work for. My Costco list is getting larger..so I really need to take a trip down there soon. It's funny..we have a BJ's very close to us but I just don't care for them.

Just after I left my earlier comment..DH came into the living room and announced that he thought we "needed milk". "Needing milk"  means that he is in the mood for an ice cream from Richardson's...so we took a quick drive over to pick up milk and have an ice cream.  It really could have waited until tomorrow or Sunday...but he wasn't going to be denied I guess..lol. All things considered..I had a hard time saying no to him so off we went.

TT..my lawn guy is overdue as well. He never came last weekend ( was it raining..I can't even remember!) but he assures me he will be there tomorrow and then again before next weekend as we are having a big party.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh, Richardson's.  That used to be a treat to take the kids on a Sunday afternoon.  We'd drive the long way up through Lynnfield and cut down River Road to come out on 114.  There used to be a farm stand along the road if we stayed on it further and came out in Middleton Square.  When I do go to M.B., I go to the Middleton store, only now take the fast express way up Route 1 to 114.  Yeah, when you get the craving for ice cream, nothing else will do.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

Oh, Richardson's.  That used to be a treat to take the kids on a Sunday afternoon.  We'd drive the long way up through Lynnfield and cut down River Road to come out on 114.  There used to be a farm stand along the road if we stayed on it further and came out in Middleton Square.  When I do go to M.B., I go to the Middleton store, only now take the fast express way up Route 1 to 114.  Yeah, when you get the craving for ice cream, nothing else will do.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

No..nothing else will do. We are trying to find a different M.B. to go to as we have been unhappy with ours the past few weeks. Middleton came up as did Rowley. I think they are both about the same distance away. I can't picture River Rd to 114. Do you get on 62? That is the route I take to get to Saugus...114 to 62 to Summer St. to  rte 1. It's a prettier drive than straight 114 to rte 1.

I am also on the lookout for a new farm stand as I have decided not to do the CSA this year. I've been going to Ingaldsby farm in Boxford..but I find them pricey for veggies although it's a fun place to visit.

BTW..DH had Richardson's mint patty frozen yogurt. It's 95% fat free...but it tastes remarkably like their original Mint Chocolate chip ice cream. So much so..that I went back up to the counter to double check with the girl who served us.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

River Road is directly across from the M.B.  It brings you out onto the road that brings you down by the library and fire station, and then I think there may be a road off of that that is Summer St.  Not sure.  I don't pay much attention to route #'s or street names.

There are a lot of farmers markets springing up in towns everywhere now.  Everything looks so good it's easy to get carried away, especially when you are shopping for one.  And, yes, their produce is a lot more expensive, but is so fresh.

Well, I'm turning in for the night.  Hope I don't end up by needing the A/C.  Hate the noise.

Chat tomorrow.

P.S.  I'll have to give that mint chocolate frozen yogurt a try.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, all,

have missed you...can't catch up right yet but will today.  In-laws left yesterday after a nice visit.  I'm p00ped, though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Good morning everyone :-) Get some rest Kar! Glad your visit was a success :-)

TT..thanks for clarifying the directions. I know just where you are talking about now. So much for sleeping in this morning..was up at 5:45..but I guess relatively speaking that is sleeping in. Didn't run the air in the bedroom last night..I didn't feel like we needed it. DH and DS had the living room air turned up so high it was like the arctic! When I mentioned that..DS said it was not the arctic..think of it more like Seattle. I know this is an argument I stand no chance of winning this summer. They both like it much colder than I do.

I've decided today's agenda is going to include some yard saling ( still looking for patio furniture and I need some new books) and exploring farm stands. Now that I know the strawberries are out I am going to stock up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

I'm up earlier than I had planned, but that darn Cheerio!  Harry should thank her, because he was out there waiting for his breakfast.  Have a bluejay or two around again (I do like them, and they were missing for a while), as soon as Harry stretched out from out from under the shrub, the jay began his calling, "Cat, Cat, Cat", and jumping excitedly from branch to branch in the nearest tree.  I had a series of books for the kids when they were little, one for each animal or bird, and the one of Mr. Blue Jay, talked of how he would always warn the other birds and animals of danger, his favorite being, "Cat, Cat, Cat."  Since reading them that, I have always heard "cat" when I hear him call.

Kargiver, I thought your company was staying through Sunday.  Bet you all had a wonderful time.  Company you share the same likes with, is enjoyable to have, but I understand what  you mean, it is more "up" time, chatting all the time and thinking of little things they'd enjoy, especially when you are usually by yourself days.  I'm sure they and your husband appreciate the effort you make to make their visit a nice one.  Any special veggie dishes you made?

Miscricket, I used to go yard sale hunting (saling - never heard it referred to as that, I like it!) but purposely stay away now.  Seems as tho I would always find little treasures, more for the kids, but now I should have a permanent yard sale every week-end to get rid of some of the things myself.  I'll send you my address and you can come and browse through the house - No patio set here tho.

The reason I remember the name of that road across from M.B. in Middleton, Miscricket, is that my father used to take me fishing there sometimes.  Then, it wasn't built up, and as you turned down the road from the Lynnfield side, there was a perfect spot where my mother would settle down knitting, and my father and I would throw rods in the river.  Poor man should have had a son, but he ended up with 2 daus, 13 years apart.  So, he let me tag along with all the guy stuff he would have done with a son.

Better get a move on and dress before (I hope) the lawn guys come.  Have to be on the watch for Ache the reporter with his camera too.  Don't want to give him any fodder for his investigative snooping!

Chat later.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Slept in this morning. Feels so good not to have to get up. DH is long gone. But he manages early mornings. Bless him. Just wonder how? When I am up and around he can't even pour his own coffee - and those glasses of his and car keys, he is never able to find?
    Had my cuppa w/ the birds. DH got the bird seeds out of my trunk and filled up the feeder before he left. Lots of traffic - including the cardinal family. The babies are getting bigger. They do look a lot like sparrows, but you can recognize them on their orangy beak.
    I like Costco a lot better than BJ's too. I know other people prefer BJ's. I guess, it is what you get used to. Only thing I don't like about the Costco, we go it, is their parking lot. It is always windy there, and when it rains and is stormy - forget it. Besides, when you get out with your full cart, you have to hike up the hill. Don't know, who designed that parking lot, but they should have their licenses recalled. They could easily have leveled it out and build a retaining wall at the far side. For the kind of money they rake in, they could have afforded it. I do hear, they are very good to their employees though.
    For you bakers. King Arthur Flour has a Red-Blue n' White sale. Free shipping too. I like their products, but the shipping has always been prohibitive for me. I ran out of coarse sugar for sprinkling on my muffins, last time I made them. So this came in very handy for me.
    Have a good Saturday everyone.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just an FYI, Pingo.  I use Wilton white sparkling sugar sprinkles on my muffins.  You might want to keep a jar on hand for those times you run out of the King Arthur coarse sugar.  I buy it in 8 oz. jars at Michael's, and a jar lasts quite a while.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh, thank you for the tip, tt. I have no preference in sugar brand. If I can pick it up in Michael's, I will definitely do that. I am sure it is the same thing. I is just, I haven't seen it in any stores, so my mother used to send it to me, with other goodies. Stupid me, I should have thought of looking at Michael's. Never really did their baking section. I mostly go there for yarn and watercolors.

And for you dessert ladies, just saw a dessert in a Rachel Ray' Grilling Mag., I am going to do, for my company. I know you all love strawberry shortcakes. She uses donuts, she split and grilled - you can probably toast them as well - instead of the shortcakes. Now, how easy can that be?

- Eleanor Roosevelt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Beautiful day, out a bit poking around the backyard.  Ear of corn I put up back has finally disappeared.  Guess there is some wildlife still rummaging around nights.

Cleaned out fridge and will salvage the last two good size potatoes before they go the way of the rest of them in the bag, and start to wrinkle.  Had bought some pkg shredded coleslaw this week, so have made up a dressing for that, added a few very thinly sliced English cukes, and will use the potatos for potato pancakes to go with.  Always have sour cream on board, so sounds like a good supper to me - maybe a Michelob to go with.

Now that I've started back on the afghan again, have another square almost completed.  that will be number 10 out of 35.  I know now why I slowed down, the fact that I hadn't bought enough of the matching skeins all at once, and I'm really not liking the cranberry (not rose) ten and sage green so much.  Originally picked those colors to go with my couches.  As it is, will rethink the placement of the squares before I get too many more knitted to make up for the missing yarn.  Thinking my regular pattern in the middle, with a shade deeper green to border all the way around.  Don't know who will want it, I certainly don't, but am not going to waste the knitting time that  has gone into making it so far. Next will be (if I keep knitting) an afghan for pumpkin's room, 2 shades of blue and a brown.  Those were the baby colors she picked for the crib outfitting, and decorated his room around.

The first of the afternoon there were some reruns I liked, but for the past couple of hours, nothing worth watching.  Did have a call from G.T.  They were out looking here and there for patio furniture and came across a kitchen light they thought I might like.  By the time I saw their message and got back to them to say, "Yes", they had moved on to another part of the state.  Hoping it's still there when they get a chance to go back.

Their company and new salmon recipe last night were both a hit.  Another friend to add to the always growing Christmas Party guest list.  I'm looking forward to meeting him at this year's.

Imagine you are doing some cleaning up, washing, and putting away, Kargiver.  Hope you will find time to drop in and tell us what you guys did for the past few days, and what meals you came up with.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

GOod afternoon everyone.. Wow..this day flew by. This morning we went out to breakfast at a little diner in a local airport and got quite a treat. Apparently there was a big to do about an old Ford Tri Motor plane that was visiting the area. It is on loan from a museum in Michigan and a group of volunteer aviators sponsored an event where the public could go up for a ride. I am terrified of flying so we didn't do that..but it pulled up..literally yards from where we were eating breakfast and they guy in charge invited everyone over to have a look at it.  We walked all around it and even got to go inside. I have to admit my heart was racing when I stepped inside...but I did it and it was awesome. 

After that..yard saling seemed boring by comparison..and it was sort of a bust anyhow. Not much of anything interesting. No one seems to be selling books. I did pick up something for my baby niece for when she visits...but nothing exciting.

Took a drive up to Salem NH to go to McKinnons and stopped at Peters Farm for some fresh strawberries. Haven't been here in a couple of years..but their prices and quality are still the best. It's just really out of the way..and I am not a fan of Salem NH.

I picked up some salmon at McKinnon's. This was a first for me. I always ..and I mean always..buy fish from a fish market. I am skeptical about the salmon..but my neighbor swears by their seafood. It's going to be dinner tonight..so we'll see.

Hope everyone got outside for a bit to enjoy the nice weather.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, all,

Still haven't really caught up in good shape, but getting there - have been so run down until this morning.

tt, your picking up your afghan again inspires me to do the same.  I finally found the skein of yarn I was lacking to finish that baby blanket, but I got out of the swing of working on it and haven't gotten back to it.  And, I'd like to make bears for the 3 boys for their 2nd birthday, and I have to start early if I'm going to finish 3 of anything.

Pingo, I know, I think our DHs are smart - they feign helplessness until they have to do for themselves and then they give themselves away as capable, LOL.

mc, what a morning re the plane!  Glad you pushed aside your fear and enjoyed the tour.

I'm sure I'm missing important stuff, but for now just wanted to drop in and say hi. :)

~kar

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good Sunday morning,
    What an exciting Saturday you had, MC. Good you pushed yourself to go inside the aircraft. Just for your info. the plane would not take off, until all seat-belts were fastened -LOL. Does your DH go 'sailing' w/ you?
    It always take me a while to find myself after company, Kar. You run in high gear, while they are there, and then there is all the laundry, when they leave.
    We have a big rabbit too, tt, in our yard. I watched him early this morning "weeding" my rosebed. He must have found some nice green stuff after all that heavy rain. We do have clover several placed in our lawn too. Was thinking of you last night. Was making chicken tenders. Just threw them in a frying pan w/ a bit of oil, cut up onions and garlic, seasoned them, and gave them a couple of minutes. Served them w/ asparagus. Delicious; so tender. Normally I cut up the tenders and serve them in a stir fry. We both decided no more chicken breast for us. You can marinate them all yo want, and they still dry out.
    Had a lovely day yesterday. Spend most of it on the deck and we ate all our meals there. Sat outside until it got dark and enjoyed a bottle of wine.
    But then came the night! The worst ever. I couldn't fall asleep. Was up until 6am. Tossing and turning, up to drink water, warm milk, then made Camomile tea etc. Nothing worked. I finally managed to fall asleep, but just for a couple of hours.
    Had to get going. Our company is coming by bus from NJ tonight. I don't know, how long it will take them to get here, but they are not leaving NJ until 4:30 pm. So it will be a late night for DH, who will pick them up at South Station. He is a bit peeved about that, since he gets up at 5 in the morning. Dinner tonight for them is definitely out. I have a frozen pizza, in case they are hungry. DH is making them rent a car, while they are here. I won't be kind enough to take them around, and he doesn't have the time for it. The latest I heard is, they will be here until Wednesday morning. Then take a bus to Buffalo (14 hours mind you) to see the Fall. Come back here Friday night and leave to go back to NJ Sunday morning - also by bus - to visit a friend. Then go home from there. DH tried to tell them to rent a car in NJ, come to Boston, go to Niagara and then drive back to NJ. Would have made a lot more sense.
    I am getting too old for his.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, I'm exhausted just thinking about your week.  :(

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo, that sounds horrible and silly.  Do these people understand how far away all these places are?  Yckhh.  Sorry you have to go through this.

We are having a quiet weekend.  Short beach trip yesterday, some yard work today, then cleaned up and a trip to the Natick mall for a quick bite.  Some what boring, but a good rest before the summer really revs up next weekend.  I have some chicken in the crockpot to be dinner for the next couple of nights.

I hear you about the lack of sleep Pingo, it's so disturbing.  Remember to keep drinking water in this heat, more than you think you need, even though you have AC you have to make sure your body knows that.  I remember you got dehydrated last summer.

Cricket, I would love some ice cream.  Trying not to have sweets in the house. 

TT I have seen bunnies around but not in my yard yet this year.  Dinner time is when you tend to see them.

Going to fill up my water bottle again.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday afternoon,

Called my Hawaii bound DIL this morning, and she said, "Why don't you come out, we'll have an impromptu cookout?"  I didn't have much to contribute.  Made up the rest of the cole slaw (which they don't usually have), brought out a bag of chips I had in the house, the pkg of corn, some Tootsie roll pops, and a few leftover sugar cookies.  Had picked up a few things for the next time the 3 kids came here, and brought them along too.  As all cookouts tho, there was plenty to eat.  Hot?  My Gawd it has to be 10 degrees hotter in Newton than here.  Had left the A/C on while I was gone, but with the nice breeze here, really don't need it.

I had thawed out my piece of haddock to cook up for my dinner, so will cook that for supper.  With a salad and a cold drink, will be plenty.  Nice to go away, but always good to be back home, even after a day.

Pingo, a lot of people like to travel by bus - feel they see more, and no hastle with driving and traffic.  With all the stops they are making, I would say they fall into that category, and enjoy it.

Yes, I for the most part, buy the chicken tenders now.  If there's a real good sale on the boneless skinless breasts, I'll buy those, but tenders cook up so quickly and thaw quickly too.

I would no more hit a mall on a Sunday - you should have seen the traffic backed up to get off the Burlington Mall exit.  Glad I was coming the other way.

Need to kick off my shoes, snap on TV, and get my fish ready to put in in half an hour or so.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Here's my weekend, ready?  80 lbs of strawberries.  Sigh...that'll be my whole week, too.

Pingo, hope you got a nap in prep for being up so late, but I suppose you were busy getting ready.

tt, an impromptu party, how nice!  They can't expect trays of whoppie pies on short notice. :)

hope everyone had a lovely weekend.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

The Natick Mall wasn't overly crowded - maybe because it's so big.  Reminds me of Tyson's in Virginia.  The problem at the Burlington Mall exit isn't the mall, it's because it's also the exit to Route 3.  All the traffic going up to New Hampshire/coming from NH crossing with the mall traffic is very bad planning.

80 pounds of strawberries is a lot!  I can't imagine being stooped over picking them in this heat.  You must be exhausted Kar.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I find the Natick Mall very pleasant, actually, for a mall, and I have to admit that since having moved from Framingham to the boonies I do miss it.  In fact, I plan to head East this week for a lunch with a girlfriend and return shoes I got online from Nordstrom that ended up being a full size too large - I can stick my thumb between my heel and the shoe.  So, I'm pleased for the reason to have to go in.  I hope they carry that shoe in a size that works for me; I really like it.

Yes, I hate to complain about all our free, lovely berries, but picking 30 - 40 lbs a day is tiresome.  And, no matter how hot, tired, or sore you are, you can't wait and "do it tomorrow."  The blueberries are far more fun given their waist-high bushes that offer up their berries on a platter...and I like blueberries; that helps, lol.

Watched a great Good Eats about eggplant yesterday with DH.  We got some great ideas.  Those will be LOADED, as well.  The big purple flowers and all the bees...well, you know what happens!

DH planted the last of our green house residents, the spaghetti squash, yesterday.  The garden is drying out, finally, and everything seems to be making out better.  A few tomato plants did drown, though.  The others are perking up nicely and even have a few golf ball sized tomatoes!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

My only crop this year is an unexpected supply of sunflowers!  Seeds from the feeder took, right underneath and I have probably 15 tall, ready to open sunflowers!

DIL's father who lives with them, does a garden around two sides of the perimeter.  I think he must fertilize them heavily - they're giants!  He always gets a good crop, and by the looks of it, this year won't be any different.  I chuckled to my self when I saw a little fenced off area - his patio, supposedly a spot Daisy (the mastiff) can't get to.  HaHa, she could step right over the fence with no problem.  He has a lounge, 4 chairs and a couple of tables, one an umbrella table all set up in there.  I think the problem is he always is the one to "find" a gift she has left in the yard.

Do you use up all those strawberries during the course of the year, Kargiver?  I'm more apt to use up the blueberries, strawberries after they're frozen, lose some of their appeal for me.

3/4's of a lemon to juice and zest, left from last night's fish supper.  Should have a lemon bread in the oven already before it gets too hot, but had emails to answer, and my coffee to have.  Holding out hope for my lawn today again.  Don't know, how big a business he has, and whether or not he mows every day.  Ten after 8 though, so I'd better get showered and dressed before he comes - just in case.

Never was a big mall person, Hats, and I'm an early to the store kind of person, sometimes getting there before they open.  Guess that's where G.T. gets his trait of not liking being in crowds.  Waiting to hear about their trip with friends yesterday to some estate with beautiful gardens, plus a museum of dolls the woman collected.  Would like to see that myself.  Sounds like something in RI, but not sure where it was.

Cup is empty, so no excuse for not ironing something to wear and getting a move on.  Chat later.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Kargiver, a thought as I go to get up -

If you mean you have enough strawberries that you will be picking all week - what about hiring a local kid from the neighborhood to come over in the early morning hours and pick for one or two.  It would give you a bit of relief, and them a little extra pocket money, not interfering with the rest of their day.  If you have an overabundance of what you want to use, could always set up a pick your own couple of days (don't know if you need a license to do that).  Local people would flock to something like that, I would think.  Or, maybe one of your local markets would buy your berries to resell - I'm full of ideas this morning, I know - should put it to good use and get that poem written!  Just an FYI.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. I took Friday off and decided to do a good cleaning on most of the house. Saturday, DS had a friend from school come over to play Xbox and swim, they had a great time. Guess the girl doesn't get to have oreos often. I offered cheese and crackers first, then when the cheese was gone, all I had were cookies.
    Sounds like everyone had a great weekend. tt, your imprtu cookout sounds lovely. Summer plans for us include going to D.C. and VA in August and that's it. Pingo, your visitors should defintely rect a car to go the Falls, it should take them about 7.5/8 hours to drive.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'm not a fan of the Natick Mall at all. I prefer the North Shore Mall.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

Sections
Shortcuts