June 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: June 2013

We didn't buy anything at the mall...just went to have lunch and walk in the cool air.  And DH wanted to see the Tesla electric car they have there.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Didn't like being caught short yesterday with no desserts, that's not like me, so will do a little baking today.  Thinking hermits if I have enough molasses.  That's on top of the lemon loaf to have for myself.

The ride to the Falls is beautiful from here, up through Vermont.  Either way, driving or in a bus, you have beautiful views.  Love that highway, there are strategically placed restaurants/rest stops and when we went we took advantage of each of them to get out and walk a bit.  Made the ride longer, but not so tiring either.  Funny we were talking about driving through DC yesterday.  Around and around the rotary we went, missing the turnoff we were supposed to take each time and nearly running over a policeman's toes on the last try!

Nice your son had a friend over to enjoy the pool with him.  Makes it more fun for the kids.  Lilly's bro had a friend from school over yesterday too and then her bro walked him part way home.  Reminded me of when my girlfriends and I used to do that.

Miscricket, did your lawn guy show up Sat?  I haven't seen hide nor hair of mine.  Beginning to suspect it won't be until Friday.

Off to the kitchen I go.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning everyone,
    The "gang" just left. They were pretty tired last night. The bus was uncomfortable and apparently the A/C was not working well. They were not here until midnight, so no one wanted to eat :) They had a snack and some French Fries at one of the stops.
    Had breakfast this morning of juice, cereal, toast and coffee/tea on the deck. The boy quipped, "I would rather have an omelet". Told him, I only make omelets on weekends. (I don't know, from where that came, but it settled the issue). I would have cut off my sons' tongue, if they had said something like that. The mother looked confused as to why doesn't that woman get up and make him one? But that was about it.
    They went w/ DH to rent a car and will be gone for the day. Tonight, as per DH, we will take them to a Vietnamese place in Boston, that have an extended vegetarian menu. I love their noodle soups there, so I am not complaining.
    tt, I read you very clearly. Some people do like to do bus tours, but these people like to count their change (and they don't have to, they are loaded). They found some bus company, we never heard of and paid only $15pp to come to Boston.
    We have been driving to the Falls 3 times, and truly, it is a gorgeous drive thru Vermont. In fact, we are going to do it again, when UK son will be coming home this summer. He has never gone, and we thought it would be a nice trip for the 3 of us. If you are in your own car, you can stop whenever and wherever you want and enjoy the sights. This is not the case on a traveling bus.
    Kar, 80 pounds of strawberries? I am trying to visualizing 80 boxes of Strawberries at S&S. That is a heck of a lot of strawberries. Me think you are over your head on this patch. tt's suggestion to have some kid come and help you sounds just like the right thing to do to me.
    Have to pick up the pieces after everyone left. Chat later..

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I would have been horrifed if my DS had said that. Think I would have excused the both of us. I've never driven through Vermont to get the Falls, DS' dad is from upstate NY so we were about 1.5 away from there. I hate the ride on the Through way (90). So glad I don't have to make that drive anymore..lol.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

For $15 pp, they hardly have a right to complain about the comforts of the bus!  lol  After all that's been in the news about the Chinese busline with low rates that has running busses back and forth to NY on substandard vehicles, I would think anyone would beware of an extremely low rate.  A college kid, maybe, because first they don't have much money, and second at that age they think they are indestructable.  For a grown person to take those chances is inexcusable.

(Having a cup of coffee waiting for Y&R, and since nothing sweet in the house, eating a couple of spoonfuls of peanut butter!)

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL, indeed, I wish I could post a few photos.  I could pay someone to do the berries, but I kind of feel like it is part of my job as a housewife.  We do use them all; DH loves strawberry shortcake, and I make biscuits he can eat without a problem.  they are a hit with guests all year, too.  I'll make low sugar jam and jelly this year, but I do have to freeze them within 2 days of picking.  We don't freeze the blueberries - I actually love those.

Pingo, at least they are gone during the days.  Have fun at your fav Vietnamese place; sounds yummy and like it has something to suit all the dietary preferences.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Glad you feel you can use all the strawberries, but " I kind of feel like it is part of my job as a housewife," reeks of a touch of that "G" word - guilt.  Come on, I thought you got past all that when a poster dared to ask what you did all day and why you didn't work!  Your contributions to that household (and in turn to your marriage) far outweigh any guilt that should ever creep in because you stay home and actually enjoy the "home making" you are doing.  Enough said on my part.   It's none of my beeswax - OR should I quote a more recognizable poster - "I'll step out now." 

(Seriously, I'll be on and off all afternoon - baking still to do, along with a wash.)

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, what are you baking? Kar, I feel the same way as tt, I was trying to figure out how to word it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Have a good night everyone.

- Darth Vadar

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Just came home from work. No one has showed up yet; neither have we heard from them all day. It is hot out there. Not a day to walk around in Boston. So glad I don't have to cook dinner tonight.
    Going to hop in the shower, before DH comes home.  Have a good evening all.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Happy Monday all :-)

TT...my lawn guy showed up (finally) on Sunday. When Saturday came and went and there was no sign of him I was mildly annoyed but didn't think too much of it. He usually comes on Sundays so I figured I'd give him to the end of the day before calling. The most important thing was that it was mowed before next weekend.

Kar..I was going to say it sounds like you are in strawberry heaven..but I can imagine picking all those strawberries can be very tiring!

Pingo..I loved your response to the son re: the omelet request. These people sound pretty inconsiderate. For one thing..I would not expect my host to come pick me up at South Station that late on a Sunday night..! I find travelling long distances by bus just awful although I know a lot of people who love it. I guess if I were going to do a tour it would be okay..but I'd much rather be on my own.

Winter..I am not really a "mall person"..but North Shore Mall is by far my favorite.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, ladies!

There's a fine line between strawberry heaven and strawberry hell, LOL!  I've literally been processing strawberries since 3:30 pm...5 hours.  Tomorrow, will get out there early and pick probably 30 - 40 lbs and process those.  Yes, maybe a bit of guilt goes into it, but at the same time DH spends more than his fair share of time in the hot sun over the weekend, and then he works his tail off all week at work.  It'd be disappointing to him if I wanted to pass the buck so to speak, and I can understand that.  I'm just glad I have that kitchen work mat so my back isn't bothering me for having spent 5 hours standing on the wood floor.  

We had a HECK of a strong thunderstorm with very close lightening here an hour ago, and it's still raining.  We do need the rain, again, finally.  After the soaking we got I wondered when rain would be a good thing, again.

Pingo, hope you are enjoying your dinner if not your company, lol.  Indeed, it was not a fun weather day to traipse around Boston.  Not tomorrow, either.

You guys have storms cooling things off?  I hope so, it's gorgeous here, cool and refreshing.  Gracie is parked in front of the open French doors to the back yard; we have the fan on upstairs pulling the breeze in.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Awake early, no use just lying there, so got up, went into the kitchen at 5:15 just in time to see Harry come walking up my back walk.  Cat Lady said she saw him in her yard the other night at midnight and again at 3:00 a.m., so talk from his owner about keeping him in nights is just that - talk.

Think you misunderstood my point about feeling guilt, Kargiver, but I don't know how to explain any clearer what I was trying to get across.

Wash is already thrown in, and I'll have a nice leisurely breakfast before going out today.  Necessary things to take care of.  Lemon loaf got made yesterday, but no hermits, and I can tell by the feel of this morning that is usually nice and cool here, today will definitely not be a baking day.

Hope you are enjoying your company, Pingo.  I'm sure knowing you, you and DH will make them feel welcome.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT I also got up at 5 and opened the doors and put the fan on to pull some cool air in to the house.  It's not sunny; I hope that will keep the heat away longer.  I have to do a little planting this morning before I take my shower and go grocery shopping.  I don't feel like cooking in these temps but people must still be fed.  Fruit helps!  Guess I will put another honeydew melon on my list.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. So we have peas. Each plant has at least two shoots. The organic one has three shoots. Not sure when to pick them? We've had them for a couple of weeks, I just forgot to mention it. I think the three of us could have 4 peas..lol. It was so hot last night that our a/c barely worked. We are on the second floor and it's so HOT up there. I wanted to go sleep on a pool float.

- Darth Vadar

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Exciting, Winter!  Try googling "peas when to pick" and see what it says.  Been a long time since I did any gardening.

I know what you mean about bedrooms on the second floor and the difference in heat.  Do you have central or a window A/C?  Just think, it wasn't all that long ago, your childhood probably, when we didn't have A/C, just fans blowing the air around.  That's a thought, if you could pick up a couple of floor fans, one for each bedroom.  That would help blow the cool air right where you wanted it - on you!

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, it's a wall a/c that is installed in there. Only the Master bedroom/bath is on the 2nd floor. My son is very cool in his bedroom with his window a/c. Last night 3 neighborhood boys came over to swim, they had such fun throwing the football to each other as they jumped off the diving board. I did make them get out once it started to lighting. 

- Darth Vadar

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yes, a pool generates a lot of get togethers and fun for the kids.

I had no A/C on last night, just the window open.  Was comfortable enough cool air coming in.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, everyone - gonna be another scorcha!

Oh, boy, I'm glad our guests were here before the heat because our guest rooms are upstairs.  We put the fan on backwards in one bedroom up there and open the other so the hot air gets pulled out at night, but that doesn't do too much imo.

If you'd spent the $$$$ on clothes and shoes this year that I have you'd be out there picking berries, too!  I might understand, after all?  LOL!!  Guilt creeps in, I can't help it, but the good news is that we don't have too many more "40 lb" days ahead.  They don't go all summer.  But, today, omg, I can't imagine.  I let them ripen all day yesterday and am planning to go pick this morning as soon as my coffee is done.

I bought a variety of red wines for the in-laws; they don't seem to have the headache issue with it that I do, and they have some every night with dinner and before bed.  Some bother me, some don't.  The one I tried last, apparently, does.  Hoping caffeine and hydration takes care of my headache.  I only had 2 glasses between 5 and 9 so it's not a hangover, just my red wine hit or miss thing.  

OK, gotta get this show on the road.  DH is traveling today so didn't leave as early as usual.  Gracie, however, was up at 5:15.  Thank goodness we all went back to bed after she did her business and had breakfast.  Got up at 7, blissfully late.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    How exciting winter. You may have to play bee in order to get peas. Pea shoots are a delicacy in some countries. Hope we get a pix of the final product. I am sure it will be the best tasting peas you have ever had.
    Hot and humid night, I agree. Sorry for all of you, who didn't get a good night's sleep.
    In our old home, we had an attic fan. Nothing worked better than that; even on the hottest nights. We would open all the bedroom windows and the attic fan would pull out all the hot air, leaving us sleeping in a nice comfortable breeze. An attic fan is not a very expensive item and if you are a bit handy an easy DIY project. Winter, it may be something to look into.
    Company left for RI today. I think Brown. Yesterday, they visited Harvard and MIT. Were not too excited. Too large. Last night's dinner was ok. I enjoyed my Pho, but I don't think they were very happy. May try Mexican or Indian tonight. I am not going to cook in this heat. Besides, they are not too easy to please. If we go out, they get to choose and can only blame themselves, if they don't like what they pick.
    Another hot day to look forward to. Hope all your A/Cs are working. Have a great day everyone.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, I do envy you your strawberries, but not the chore of picking them.  I know you pick them out of love - not guilt. Your DH does so many garden chores in the heat, rain, whatever - to have a an abundant fresh supplies of organic veggies to sustain you all summer long into the winter. Still, getting a bit of help, like tt suggested, should not come in the way of your relationship w/ your husband. Crouching out there for hours in yesterdays' heat was not healthy.
    Ready to go to work. DH suggested we go for Mexican food tonight. Not my preference, but better than cook in this heat. I have ingredients for a lasagna as well as a cook-out (just have to pick up corn) - but it might rain tonight.
    Will see - have a good day everyone and please stay cool.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo, I don't have an attic, that's where our our room is. The whole upstairs was turned in to bathroom, sitting room, bedroom, we call it the master suite. Did your guests think that MIT and Harvard were small schools? Too funny. 

- Darth Vadar

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

DH would be ok if I said I wasn't able to do the strawberries and got help...I guess I just want to do them when it comes right down to it despite it not being my favorite of tasks.

have fun not cooking tonight even though it is not your pick for cuisine, Pingo - hopefully you can find something you'll enjoy.  I like Mexican...we don't have anywhere to go around here, though...no Thai or Vietnamese, either...nothing, really, other than a greasy spoon Chinese spot that really is pretty good.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, I will take Mexican over slaving over the stove for people, that don't appreciate my cooking anyway. I generally order a large Shrimp Salad w/ a spicy Mexican dressing - or Fajitas w/ o the rice and refried beans, both w/ a side order of  a side order of black beans. And of course a Margarita to go with. I will be ok.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

What did you finally pick up at the store for supper, Hats?  I just put a can of tuna in the fridge.  Need to go through it again and throw out some stuff that's gotten pushed behind.

Glad to get back in today, the house had stayed nice and cool.

Ran into pumpkin while I was out - he's into "b" sounds now.  Tells quite a story with hand gestures and all.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

Sections
Shortcuts