June 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: June 2013

There were no honey dew melons!  So just got a small watermelon.  The strawberries didn't look good either.  Decided on burgers cooked outdoors.  But MB was also out of the kind of hamburger I wanted.  So after waiting and waiting I got 93% which is a waste to cook on the grill but the place was a zoo.  Now I know why I don't usually shop on a Tuesday.  Tomorrow I will go over to Wilson's Farm, hate to pay their prices but really do crave good fruit at this time of year.  Kar, I wish I could come pick a few strawbs at your place.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hamburgers always taste so much better on the grill.  That's what I chose Sunday over all the other kinds of barbecued meat.  Delicious.

Don't know yet what I'll do with the tuna.  Had a big salad at noon, and this morning made a ham and cheese omelet for breakfast.

Would you believe that Cheerio has hunted down the one room where there is a patch of sun shining through the blinds (room off the kitchen), and has settled down there.  I've moved her eating spot, after 13 years and don't know why I never thought of doing it before, or why noone ever suggsted it.  Before it was between the fridge and stove and in my way every time I tried to cook - 13 years I put up with this!  This morning when I was trying to step over her cooking the omelet and making my coffee, picked up her bowl of water and dish and move it to another part of the kitchen.  She's still not used to the change - sits in her usual spot even tho there's no water or dish there, and cries for food!

Guy came to mow my lawn this afternoon - still no mulch.  Asked him when that was coming, maybe this Friday.  Just sent an email to my son so he won't get charged for mulch that's never been delivered and spread yet.

ETA:  Spied sauerkraut in fridge - changed to a couple of hot dogs with sauerkraut and sour cream for supper, with a beer.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'd have you all over for a pick your own free strawberry day if I could!

tt, love your story about Cheerio's food dishes - so funny.  The night we moved Gracie's crate to another place in the room she went to the empty space where it had always been and just stood there bewildered even though she could see her crate in the new spot.  I had to guide her in to bed that night, lol, but by the next night she had adapted.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Poor Cheerio, momma changed her eating place. No wonder, she is upset. I would be too. We have a kitchen table w/ 4 chairs, and know, which one is mine.

New problem w/ BDC. They keep changing my font, while I type. Has that happened to you?
    I keep changing it back, but it is annoying.

Just came home from work. Another scorcher and they decided to fix our A/C system today of all days.
    As you know, we renovated our office, and the A/C was the last thing to take care of. (Oh, I give up. Never mind the font) The outlets had to be placed at strategically right places - but today of all days? Anyway, those mechanics are so busy and so difficult to get hold of, so we decided better suffer for a day or two and get it fixed for good. Made up a huge cooler of ice cold lemonade for our employees, plus we had fans going in all directions. We all managed. They were good sports. When I used to work at the hospital, we used citric acid and called it "Angle Water". LOL
    I took work home, so I can work from home tmw., if I have to. Nice and cool here.

DH just called. Our guests are somewhere in CT, and asked, what time dinner was. It would be at least a couple of hours, before they would be here, so he told them, that dinner here would be too late and to please find a place to eat on their way. They will be leaving very early tmw. morning for the Falls - by bus.
    So now, I am thinking of just making a large salad for DH and myself. Greens, shrimps and a soft boiled egg. Who wants to have a large meal anyway, when it is this hot.
    Have a good evening everyone and try to stay cool.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

What????? The font all changed back to what I wanted after I posted.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, Pingo, they had to pick a heat wave day to fix your A/C?!  Nice of you to bring lemonade.  I cannot imagine your Angle Water...I hope it tasted better than it sounds, lol.  Good for DH for telling your guests to take care of themselves like they should have figured out to do all by themselves.  

I've not had a font issue.  Ugh!

It was too hot to pick today; I got one big box then was in trouble so came in.  DH and I just finished picking the rest, and now he is doing more of the garden chores while I rest.  No mention of dinner - like you say, who wants a big meal when it's this hot?  

Hearing thunder in the distance and see that a few drops have fallen on the back steps.  Hoping it cools down even if we don't get another direct hit.

stay cool and hydrated, everyone!

ETA:  we estimate we picked about 35 - 40 lbs today.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Walking through the kitchen at 4:30 this morning - a beautiful young deer up the back of my yard, enjoying a breakfast of hostas.  Each year we plant more up there for them.  They're in the backyard anyway, neighbors next door and one house down have small vegetable gardens that they've always visited.

Very still and muggy this morning.  A friend is coming over to go to lunch today, but since thunderstorms are forecast for this afternoon she may cancel.  Has alwaysbeen afraid of sound of thunder storms, fireworks.  Thing is, she couldn't spend the night here if they came up suddenly, she's allergic to cats.  Interesting to see how this plays out.  If she cancels, I have plenty to do, still that poem to write, card to make, gift to buy.

Going to give Harry a call before I hop in the shower.  Thinking French toast for myself this morning.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning,

We had deer when we first planted - by the hoof prints and chewed plants they liked the spinach best, but haven't had evidence for awhile.  Not sure why not, though; there's a feast out there including hostas out front.

cancelling due to being scared of thunder?  I hope she makes it.  They have pressure point Thunder Shirts for dogs that get great reviews...maybe they have them for people. ;)

ETA: I am going East tomorrow for lunch with a girlfriend and to hopefully exchange a pair of shoes I ordered from Nordstom that don't fit.  I really like them so I hope they have this style in the store.  Otherwise, I'll at least give them these and get credited right away.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. How pretty a deer. Just work today and tomorrow night have to stop in to library so DS can get the first of his required reading. I told him he could have the first week off, but since we are taking him to the Basketball Hall of Fame Saturday he has to get the book before then.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hope you have a wonderful time.  I think your husband will enjoy that too.

Sun's coming out and doesn't much feel like storms, so maybe we'll luck out.  Better get a move on.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

He and I have been, but last time it was just a brick building, not the cool looking building that it is now. They have strange hours 10-5.

- Darth Vadar

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Taking chances with photos, again.  Posted one in LoseIt of my white dress with my face blurred out - if anyone sees something else there please let me know!

here's one I hope stays of the strawberries from last Saturday

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    My guests came home very late last night. So DH and I enjoyed a large salad with a bottle of wine on our deck. Sat there long time after it got dark. What a beautiful evening. Slightly humid, but not too bad. Won't get many like that.
    DH took them to their Fall bus early this morning. They will be gone until late Friday.
    We have deer in our back yard - plenty. Did anyone see the news last night with a young deer running straight into a garage falling into the oil pit? Fortunately they were able to rescue her and she was not hurt. The are beautiful animals, but not when you have them in groups of 25 plus. We have given up on Hostas. Count your blessings, Kar, that you don't see them. Your veggie garden would be gone.
    Hope you still get to go out for lunch, tt. I don't believer the lightening and thunder will start until later tonight.
    Have to get to the office. DH called and told me my office is all set as far as A/C is concerned. I did take work home last night, so I could work at home if I had to, but it is a lot easier at the office. We will be leaving for TX next week, so I have a lot do-ahead work.
    Hope you all have a good day. Stay cool.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Looks like Farmer Kargiver is busy cleaning the lot. I can't even imagine the work associated with them. Thanks for posting the picture, Kar.

In response to kargiver's comment:

Taking chances with photos, again.  Posted one in LoseIt of my white dress with my face blurred out - if anyone sees something else there please let me know!

here's one I hope stays of the strawberries from last Saturday

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Can't believe they had the nerve to ask you to prepare something for their late return but so glad DH took care of that right quick.  What a lovely evening you two had instead. :)

if you skip over to LoseIt it seems my photo is staying put...for now at least.  you can check out two new pairs of shoes I got this summer, too - the kitten heals and the high pumps.

yep, Farmer Kargiver washed that batch, and they are all in the freezer.

glad your ac is working at the office.  Too many distractions at home.  GL preparing for your trip.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks to robin for alerting me that bdc changed the LoseIt photo, again.  So far so good here with the strawberries...right?  I can't tell because my display of the photo in LoseIt was the one I intended to post.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I saw the picture of you in the white dress and I see the strawberries being washed off.

- Darth Vadar

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Winter - I guess I'll leave them be.  I just reposted the one in LoseIt and hoping it doesn't go back to the one Robin reported to me.  What a pain!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, we got lunch in.  She wanted to go to the Clam Box in Ipswich.  Only had a half hour wait in line which is monumental for that place.  Clams and onion rings were delicious.  On the way back stopped at the Essex Coop for 20 lbs. birdseed.  Nice to vary the seed blend up once in a while, and their prices are good.  As soon as we got back she headed for home, saying it would be hard for her to drive home with her eyes closed - which she would do if it started to thunder and lightening!

We just had a little light cleansing summer shower now, no thunder, no lightening.  Has cooled it off quite a bit.

Your pictures are great, Kargiver.  Glad that there was no tomfoolery with them again.

Came home to an email from G.T.  They had gone back that very day to pick up that light he emailed me about, and said since they are meeting friends in Cambridge Sat night, will come here early in the afternoon and put the light up, before meeting them.  I've grown so used to that bare light bulb hanging there, it will be wonderful to have a new light.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oooh, the Clam Box - so happy you got lunch with your friend, tt!  Now I want clams, though...

a bare bulb?  How awful!  It's like having the sun in the house.

we had a little shower earlier, too.

finished sealing the berries I'd frozen on cookie sheets in the Food Saver and then washed and pared what we picked ysesterday and put those on the sheets.  Pulled out not quite ripe ones and perfect ones for plain eating tomorrow.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Good morning ladies :-)

Well..we've had an exciting few days here. Just after I signed off on Monday night, we got quite the thunderstorm..the wind really kicked up and the result was a tree in front of my neighbor's house came crashing down..ripping all the electrical wires and casing from our house and totalling my neighbor's car which was parked in front of their house. The metal casing that got ripped from our house landed on my son's truck..causing damage to the bed and tailgate. So after a couple of days of dealing with insurance companies, the town, the electric company and verizon..we were back up and running completely.  It was a little uncomfortable on the hot nights with no air. On top of that..my poor husband was passing a kidney stone on Monday night into Tuesday.

This was going to be a somewhat crazy busy week for us before all this storm stuff happened so now it just added to it. I am really...really looking forward to some time off next week!

Kar...I understand what you mean about a fine line between strawberry heaven and strawberry hell...but those strawberries in the picture look really heavenly :-)

TT..reading your posts is making me hungry for a hot breakfast..lol. I am so jealous of your Clam Box visit..but hope to go soon. We actually live closer than we did last year..so no excuse. A half hour wait is not bad at all. We usually go for an early dinner/late lunch to avoid the long line. I love their lobster roll. To me it is definitely the best around. DH loves their fried clams. I also like that you can occasionally get flounder there.

Well...off for another long day. Yesterday I left my house at 7am and didn't return until just after 10pm. TOday won't be quite as long...but I doubt I am home anytime before 9.

Enjoy the cooler weather!

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Cricket, it sounds as if the bad star is hovering over your house; I admire your spunk.  I'd be in a tailspin.  Hope you get some relief and get home tonight.  Sending some wishes for good times next week.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Got on early, but have been writing new baby boy's poem for Sunday's celebration.  Still have the last verse to fool with a bit so it falls right.  Did I tell you dr. tells pumpkin's mom she can go any time now?  She AND we are hoping she gets through the cookout first!

Miscricket!  My gosh, when it rains, it pours!  You guys are under someone's radar for "let's see how they handle this" situations.  You didn't mention anyone getting hurt, so hope that's the case.  Glad your husband finally passed that stone.  Now to avoid having another.  Two of my sons have experienced that pain and are extremely wary of aggravating the condition again.

Half an hour standing outside in the sun - was long enough for me yesterday, and my friend sort of pushed her way inside the door, saying she had to get out of the heat.  BTW, don't forget, they change the oil afternoons at 2:30 which adds another 15-20 minutes on the waiting time.  I actually think their lobster roll is on the skimpy side.  Kelly's does a great job with the lobster rolls.

Back to the drawing board and get that poem finished.  Surprising, once I sit down and get the first line on paper (screen), the rest just seems to come out of nowhere, a mind of its own!

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT I think our unconscious minds do a lot of the work for us when we know we need to write something, don't you?  I also find that the shower is a great place to think things out.  I hope the poem is received with as much love as it is given with by you.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wow, too much, mc!!  Like tt said, thankfully it sounds like no one was hurt, but what a mess!!  

tt, exciting re pumpkin's mom about to "go" - what is her date?  When I write anything, I get on a roll, but getting started is the worst.  Once you have a verse, the others do seem to just tumble out.  Funny how it's so much harder to write the first one.

Didn't pick anything yesterday so need to get out there before the rain comes today and get the next batch.  The berries that weren't quite ready to freeze are all ripened up on the counter so I need to wash, pare, and put those on the sheets to freeze with their buddies already in there.  And, I need to vacuum and scrub the bathrooms.

My lunch today got moved to tomorrow; work issues came up for her.

DH is hoping to be home early today, yay!

Gracie saw a coyote in the backyard last night and got so worked up she couldn't go to the restroom before bed.  Got us up to take care of business late.  Then, got up at 4:30 hungry.  Nobody slept well last night.  Maybe I'll take a nap...I don't want a headache.

Sections
Shortcuts