June 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: June 2013

Must  have been something in the air last night, Kargiver.  No coyote in my backyard, but I woke up at 1:00 and literally stayed awake until 4:00 this morning.  Ended up dozing after that and getting up at 6:45.  I was blaming it on the raspberry iced tea I had at lunch.  The slightest amount of caffeine seems to keep me awake at night.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, I'm very caffeine sensitive, too, and I do the same thing - I go to bed, go to sleep, and then around 1 or 2 it wakes me up and that's it 'til 4 or 5, and then I had to get up for work at 6.  It wasn't pretty...usually a migraine day.  I don't drink a drop of caffeine after noon!

But, speaking of caffeine, time to make the coffee.  I'm behind schedule because DH left an hour and a half later than usual.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I've been on the phone, dragging out trash in my robe, working on the poem, so still not showered or dressed, and I had promised myself I'd get out early this morning.  Now, I'm ready for a second cup of coffee and how I wish I had a "treat" like I give Cheerio!  Couple of pieces of lemon bread left, but that's not sweet enough.  I'll probably have to succomb to Hershey's kisses or Nestles choc bits!  Definitely put something gooey on my shopping list this week.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    What an awful week you had MC. When it rains, it pours as they say. In your case literally. Thankfully no one got hurt. But it must have been awful for your husband in that heat passing a kidney stone. It is so very painful.
    Now that your DH has passed it, does that mean he will be on his way to be feeling better?
    We had lots of rain yesterday. When I drove home around 5:30, God opened the gates. Not the Pearly ones, but the flood gates. 128 was almost on a stand still, no one could see a thing. The wipers couldn't take it. It was very scary. But it would have been more dangerous to pull off to the side. So everyone was just rolling along keeping a tight eye on the break lights on the car ahead of them. Fortunately it was over quickly and when I reached my exit, I could see where to turn off. Was I ever glad to reach home.
    Nice to hear you got your lunch in yesterday, tt. Oh, the Clam Box - my mouth is watering. Maybe Sunday after company has left, I will ask DH to take me there. How sweet of GT and partner to go all the way back to get you the lamp. Wish we had picture options.
    Having tomato sauce simmering on the stove for a lasagna, I will put together tomorrow night. Mushroom and spinach lasagna. I am planning to try the "no-cook" noodles. Anyone tried those? Will I be sorry? I have both in the house, so I can always switch, if it is not a good idea.
    Leaving early for the office, it is cooler in the morning. They are still fiddling around w/ the A/C - moving and turning the outlets which ever way for best balance. Thankfully it is not that hot today.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, your experience on 128 reminds me of my grandfather's story about ending up parking behind a stranger in that man's driveway in a blinding snowstorm.  Very scary, indeed, to be intently focused on the brake lights ahead with that being all you can see for consecutive split seconds.

no-cook lasagna noodles are good imo.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I tried them once when they first came out and didn't like them - stayed too firm for my liking, as tho they weren't cooked enough.

Pingo, scarey driving you had yesterday.  The highway is always worse anyway, with all the cars splashing the water up to boot.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks ladies. You answered my question. I was hoping to avoid all that wiping and drying on sheets w/o having them stick. I have wanted to try them for some time, but always told myself -   you go through all the chopping and two hours of making the sauce, why would you want to cut short on the noodles. So I never used them. 
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo, the secret to the no boil noodles is to add a little extra water or stock to your sauce if the recipe you use is not specifically for no boil noodles.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning. Had a meeting this morning. MC, sorry to hear all the problems, you have. You are a trooper and are in good spirits. tt, so nice of them to go back and get your lamp. Your poem seems to be coming along nicely.

Pingo, I never cook the noodles before making lasagna (and I use regular noodles) and it even passed the former Italain MIL who loved the lasagna.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

When I used them and liked them I followed the directions that hats mentions - extra moisture for the noodles to soak up during cooking.  It might take some experimentation to get it just right - they can work or they can end up hard like tt's did.  

OK, you can add lasgna to the foods I've craving now, along with fried clams.  I'm going out to lunch tomorrow, but I might just have to splurge two days in a row...no, I guess I can wait.  Maybe...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Not sure what you are referring to with wiping and drying.  If you decide to go with the cook ahead noodles, put a little vegetable oil in the water after it has started boiling and before you drop in the noodles.  Will prevent sticking.

Ready at last to go out.  Will check back in this afternoon.

ETA:  If you're  talking about sticking after they cook, I tip the pan and drain out the hot water and fill it with cold, and lift my noodles out of there and make the lasagna.

I see I'm the only one who wasn't happy with the results, Winter certainly has a plus on her side with Italian MIL's approval - so -

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Now, I am really confused. Winter did you make your lasagna ahead of time, so the noodles could soften?
    Hats, I just took a look at the no-cook noodles box. The recipe there does call for adding 1/2 cup of white wine to the sauce, before you layer it. I am sure any liquid will do. They also bake it at 375 instead of 350, which is the usual temperature for baking lasagna (as far as I know). I am not following the box recipe - making my own sauce, but I will add some extra liquid to the sauce, and give it a try. My curiosity has been awakened. If it doesn't come out quite right, no big deal. These people would never know. Will let you know, how the experiment worked.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Well if you think about it, it's logical; the noodles need to absorb liquid to get soft.  The trick is to make sure that the moisture can get to the noodles.  If for example, you covered the noodles so thickly with a cheese mixture or a veg mixture that they could not absorb enough moisture, you might have a problem.  Do you cook yours covered with foil for at least part of the time, too?  That way the moisture is not immediately vaporised into the oven....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I took the uncooked noodles out of box and used them like that. Assembled the lasagna- uncooked noodles, sauce, meat, ricotta, etc. Then cooked it, found that it was easier to cut after doing this. And my ex Italian MIL was very impresssed with it.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sounds like it came out perfectly al dente, winter, yum.

have been out in the patch and came in to use the restroom...now maybe a bite to eat.  I'm fantasizing out there about, you guessed it, a huge plate of homemade lasagna!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Dipping into a can of peanuts I bought while out this morning, I'm fantasizing about a lunch all made and waiting for me!  lol  Should have stopped on the way home and picked up something.

Lots done this morning, gifties for cookout, was only disappointed in Michael's and the minute decorations they had for baby boy cards.  Didn't want to use the same animals I had for pumpkin's, so went with a softer theme.  Still mulling the last verse of the poem around in my head - it will come to me overnight, I've still a couple of days to finish up.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I fantasized about our personal chef cooking lasagna and fried clams in my kitchen while I was in the berry patch, but alas, she didn't come here, either.  Where IS she?  Anyway, I'm grabbing a quick lunch of cheese, crackers, and beer.  Cheers!

tt, your poem will be a masterpiece by Sunday - sometimes being under the gun helps me come up with a fabulous last verse!  Glad for your productive morning.  I should have done more - was procrastinating the picking.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Picked up a 20 lb. canister of kitty litter that was on sale and I'm paying for it now - in back pain.  I know I can't lift over 10 lbs., but how could you walk by 20 lbs. for $6.99?  Didn't lug it in the house, it's still in the trunk until I feel I can haul it into the wheelbarrow for the rest of the way.

Chopped up the rest of the lettuce, opened the can of tuna that was in fridge, mixed with a little Miracle Whip, added that to the lettuce, sprinkled Ken's Italian dressing over, and then topped with shredded Mexican mix cheese.  Pretty darn good with my glass of iced tea/lemonade (another sleepless night!).

How are the berries coming along, Kargiver?  Are there still more that are in the ripening process?

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, tt, so sorry about your back.  20 lbs is heavy!  Good deal, though.

Ken's is our favorite Italian, too.  I squirt out half the oil when I open it, and the flavor is really boosted!

The berries are slowing down, but there are more to go.  DH wants to pick the second 1/2 of them since he'll be home in less than an hour.  Yay!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Took a nono ibuprofen and sat on the couch with Cheerio, where we dozed a bit, and am thinking now if I feel pain free enough to run to grocery store.  Would like to keep tomorrow just for the baking I have to do for Sunday, especially since Sat will be taken up with G.T. and feeding them, AND MY NEW KITCHEN LIGHT.  Couple of more walk arounds and we'll see.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hope you're feeling better soon!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Ran to the S&S and am back.  Now tomorrow is mine to do with -

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sweet!  How are you feeling?

I'm doing the same thing, chores I could put off 'til tomorrow I'm doing now so I can relax and have fun tomorrow out East.  

DH is out picking the other 1/2 of the berry haul.  I'll definitely not touch those until tomorrow afternoon.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Hi all....soo happy that my meeting tonight got cancelled. It will be nice to have some unexpected free time!

Thanks for all the kind thoughts regarding my week. I don't really view it as terrible..just an inconvenience and nothing that can't be fixed. The absolute most important thing is that no one was hurt. It was a close call for my neighbor and that tree came down fast and hard!

Besides..in comparison to what mother nature has dealt me in the past..this was pretty tame. We were joking around a bit late last night about how the apartment I lived in was prone to major flooding ( right next to a river). Over the 8 years I lived there..there were three mandatory evacuations which averaged 2-3 weeks. In fact..I used to use "the river runs through it" to describe my basement..lol

DH is feeling so much better and back to his old self. He seems to be recovering from all the ills lately.

Also..to weigh in on the lasagna noodles discussion...I started using Barilla no boil noodles a couple of years ago and never looked back. I don't add extra liquid to the sauce..but I do add extra sauce to the lasagna . A good layer of sauce on the bottom, the noodles..all the cheeses then repeat the process. For the top layer I put the noodles only..then a good amount of sauce...followed by shredded mozzarella . I sprinkle this with olive oil and fresh basil..then cover with foil and bake at 350. It hasn't failed me yet.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

Ran to the S&S and am back.  Now tomorrow is mine to do with -

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

TT...how are you feeling?? Please be careful lifting those big boxes of cat litter. Although that's a really good bargain.  I pay 8.49 for 10 lbs...lol

I have another busy day at the office tomorrow..but am going to get myself pampered after work...hair..and the works..and possibly nails. I am definitely looking forward to that!

Sections
Shortcuts