June 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: June 2013

Asw for the anoying adds, there is an add blocker, you can install, and you won't have to deal w/ any adds. It is free. If anyone is interested, I can ask DS, which one it is.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, we posted at the same time.  I guess traffic has reduced enough to be able to get in more easily.  I had massive problems all day just like you said you did.  

Meant to say I was sorry for your DH's fall and scrape.  What is it with falls on the Chat lately?  Everyone, be careful, falls are going around!!  And, as for men and their stubbornness, that's a question for the ages, lol.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

going East today to lunch for the first time since last November with the trips' dad!  I'm glad it worked out or I'd be sad to see him at the party but, as always in those types of gatherings, not be able to visit.

have a great day, everyone!  Got to get Gracie walked and myself put together.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Heading out this morning, rain and all.  Enjoy your lunch, Kargiver.  I'll check the boards later.  Hope you're able to post pic of poster, Winter.  What did he get for a grade on it?

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning Chatters,
    Thank you, Kar. The way he fell, it could have been much worse, so I am thankful it was "just" a scrape. It was on a winding stair in the dark. I feel bad for him, but also feel, he was being really stupid. Where was your flashlight? In the car of course. He did wear his safety helmet though, and I feel that took off the brunt of it. Kar, have a wonderful visit w/the trips' Dad.

tt, at the cook out I went to Sunday, I met someone, who is going to seniors' balance classes. I didn't get the name of the outfit, but she told me there was one in Salem. Will look into it further and let you know. I know, I need one. If your could join me - great!

I am still having a heck of a time to get into the Chat. Yesterday, I gave up multiple times. This morning I clicked on the June Chat, then went to make coffee. Are you listening BDC?
    Well, I am in right now. Don't know, how the day goes. Have a good one everyone.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm still around, going out, but had to put a call into roofer - - - -

Actually might consider joining you at the classes, Pingo.  After all, we've "chatted" for years.  Probably each of us would be completely surprised when we meet the other. 

ETA:  The computer completely choked on that one ("Actually might consider joining you at the classes, Pingo") - took about 10 minutes for it to come up !!  LOL

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Haha, tt! Maybe your computer tells you to reconsider. Will let you know, what I find out. I would love to meet you in person. I believe, we know enough about each other, that anonymity is not a question any longer.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morinng everyone. I haven't been able to get on until today, just so slow getting here. Pingo, glad your DH just got a scrape. tt, why are you calling the roofer?

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter, thank you.
    Why I am so angry about DH's accident is, that it could have been avoided. Most industrial accidents are due to negligence. And it cost the public tons of money. Going to court is is never the negligent persons fault. It is always the company's fault. No matter how stupid the laborer was. Several hundred thousands dollars are usually awarded. One can put up all the safety required, but when the laborer doesn't follow them, you are as a contractor out of luck. Why didn't you wear a safety harness f.ex.? Oh, I don't like to wear one, and the court decides it is 1/2 Mill. worth even though the guy only broke a toenail. Yeah - we are in Massachusetts all right.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Winter, why does one usually call the roofer?  This will be the 3rd leaking event, and the ceiling has been repainted twice.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Pingo, I share your frustration!  I'm a lawyer and I still think people sue too much and blame others.  There is very little personal accountability out there, and at some point people have to realize that they have to take care of themselves, and that sometimes accidents just do happen.  Not everything is someone's fault.  Ugh!!

Now, tt - your roofer is a different story!  That brand new roof should not be leaking.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yeah - -

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Now, tt - your roofer is a different story!  That brand new roof should not be leaking.

November, I may call on you as a counsel. Our 2 months old, brand new (not just a fix) roof in our office building is leaking down my tenant's room, where he sterilizes his equipment. Not our fault. Had the roofer out here already 4 times. Can't find anything wrong. Go figure.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Same here, Pingo.  My roofer is not avoiding me, contacts me back as soon as I call, comes, has put in extended flashing, and is honestly trying to figure out where the leak is coming in.  This is the problem I had 23 years ago.  That's why I was so reluctant to touch it.  It opened a can of worms.  I'm going to suggest he consult with another roofer to get ideas.  He won't like it, but I want this to be the last time I have to call him.  I've been very patient and nice.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Today I ran into my friend who has the koi pond.  Her heron is back with a vengence.  He gets in under the netting she has over the pond, steals the fish before she gets up at 5 a.m., and leaves them torn apart on the brick around the pond.  She has some fantastic pictures of him, both on top of neighboring roofs, and a couple of him flying with his full wingspan.  Looks like a pterodactyl.  It was bad enough last year when at least he was eating them, but now it's just fishing for the sport of it.   She was heartbroken this morning.  Has talked with someone at the other end of town who also has a koi pond and is having the same problems.  The heron, of course, is protected by law.  Not that you'd want to harm him, but she does want to put a stop to this.  G.T. recommended a fake something last year that she got, but didn't have a chance today to ask if she was still using it.   I'm thinking it was a fake heron, because they are territorial, but I may be wrong.  To top it off, the cats are starting to sniff around, and she's not sure who would be the aggressor, the cat or the heron, should they meet.  Something she doesn't need to wake hearing the sound of either way.

Just tossing that out there for a bit of conversation - - or not.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Pingo, are you sure its the roof?  Could it be a window, or gutter, or something else that the water is being drawn from (assumiing the leak isn't in the center of the ceiling)?  I'm sure you've checked any pipes, fixtures, etc. above.

Re: the koi pond - sounds like friend's yard is a nat geo episode waiting to happen.  I'd put something out to keep the cats away, just in case.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, sorry, to hear about your friend and her Koi pond. I can understand, she is heartbroken. Whatever fake she has out there, needs to be moved around several times a day, or it won't work. Those animals are smart.

We had to remove our bird-feeder. Just for the summer. We couldn't use our deck; those turkeys became so agressive. It broke my heart and I miss my little friends so, but there should be plenty of food for them right now. Come winter, we will hang it back up.

Interesting. When I move the kitchen slider in the morning, the birds line up on the deck railing. They expect me to put out food for hem. We have a small dish on the deck floor I fill for them. But when that is empty, then no more for the day.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, ladies!

Gosh, sorry to hear about the roof leakage problems, tt and Pingo.  Water problems are so hard to trace back to the cause and fix, but I hope you have good luck soon with your contractors.

I understand your frustration, Pingo; all I can say is men will be men and just leave the flashlight in the car sometimes.  It's just their nature, I think, to be less proactive than women.  Not that makes it less frustrating.

tt, that's too bad re your friend's koi pond and sport fishing heron.  I've never heard of a bird fishing for entertainment - so strange!  

Had a wonderful lunch with my old friend, as always.  Loved hearing his perspective on fatherhood.  Thank you for your well wishes on the trip East!  DH and I are so looking forward to their party Saturday.  Good friends are treasures.

Speaking of that, I'd be happy to have any of you ladies know me in person; it's the nutty lurkers we don't know are reading I'd be afraid of!  I live too far away to meet up, though.

My mother just joined a seniors balance/strength building class in her town in Pennsylvania.  She LOVES it, and since she's lost almost 20 lbs this year, she is thrilled but at the same time unhappy with the looser skin.  She is hoping building some muscle will not only help her keep her balance, but help her shape out, too.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo, how about getting DH one of those tiny flashlights for his key chain for Father's Day?  I have found one to come in very handy.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

May I jump in here, Hats?  Where did you find one?  I've been looking for one to keep in my pocketbook - its so deep lots of times I can't see around in the bottom.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

L L Bean has a couple of small clip lights that might be what you are looking for, tt.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, I answered my own question, googled Target and they have keyring flashlights for $4.99 in the stores.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

Today I ran into my friend who has the koi pond.  Her heron is back with a vengence.  He gets in under the netting she has over the pond, steals the fish before she gets up at 5 a.m., and leaves them torn apart on the brick around the pond.  She has some fantastic pictures of him, both on top of neighboring roofs, and a couple of him flying with his full wingspan.  Looks like a pterodactyl.  It was bad enough last year when at least he was eating them, but now it's just fishing for the sport of it.   She was heartbroken this morning.  Has talked with someone at the other end of town who also has a koi pond and is having the same problems.  The heron, of course, is protected by law.  Not that you'd want to harm him, but she does want to put a stop to this.  G.T. recommended a fake something last year that she got, but didn't have a chance today to ask if she was still using it.   I'm thinking it was a fake heron, because they are territorial, but I may be wrong.  To top it off, the cats are starting to sniff around, and she's not sure who would be the aggressor, the cat or the heron, should they meet.  Something she doesn't need to wake hearing the sound of either way.

Just tossing that out there for a bit of conversation - - or not.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

Hi TT...first I would tell your friend to do her best to avoid having a confrontation between the Heron and the cats. Herons can be very agressive and nasty and it would likely not end well for the cats!

My cousin has a koi pond and he small holed netting over it. He also put a scarecrow but found he had to move it around frequently and it didn't deter the Heron for long. Eventually he just started making sure the fish had plenty of hiding spaces..which meant putting in extra vegetation. He even put some fake vegetation along the edges. That seemed to have worked as the visits by the Heron became more infrequent and eventually it moved on.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, Miscricket, I just sent your info to her.  The cats I spoke of are not hers, but strays, I think.  I too, think they would get the worst of the deal.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning,

Brrrr - none too warm out there, and damp.  Just put a long sleeve summer sweater on, forget the shrug today.

Going shopping (basically aimlessly) for the triplets' birthday today.  Totally forget to ask the dad what they need.  Maybe will end up with GC to Toys R Us or Carter or something, but I'd like to try to bring a "real" gift.  

And, breakfast out is in order...well, maybe not, per se, ha ha, but I don't think the stores are open yet and I'm all ready to leave so what else can I do?  LOL

Still feeling rejuvenated for having had the totally fun outing yesterday.  I get a little cabin fever out here so far from civilization every day, and errands don't really combat that feeling.

Have a blessed day, everyone,

~kar