June 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: June 2013

2/3rds done with the strawberry patches and 9 lbs of berries.  Back to pick the last 4 lbs for today.  I'm gonna make it! It's not even noon.  Gosh, though, I know we're lucky to have such a bounty, but I'm honestly scared of snakes and spiders (and slugs are just gross), and I'll be glad when this task is done.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Welcome back, JC!!!  Knew you were moving, but so sorry for the losses that have affected you, as well.  The random tears is par for the course - sadness just bubbles up and out whenever, wherever for awhile.  I think the volunteer route is a great idea for DD.

must cut short, in-laws are due in less than 3 hours and have a history of arriving early.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Ran later than I thought with errands, so picked up a Greek salad to go.  Yum - loaded with feta cheese, black olives, pepperoncini - enough for 2 to share, but I managed to down 3/4's of it with a Michelob.  Now I'm craving chocolate, so will browse AllRecipes to see if there's a quick step new chocolate treat waiting there for me.

Sounds as tho you're coming along good with the chores, Kargiver.  Sit down and relax a bit before they get there, make a pitcher of iced tea or lemonade.

Jeepers, when I read your posts, I look at your avatar and picture you looking like that - too young to be handling this blended family move.  You're right, 13 is a devil of an age for girls, and I doubt very much that it's just your fiance's dau that feels entitled.  I see it in the young kids all around my family.  They don't know any different, it's the way they've been catered to.  Taking her for some volunteer work is a great idea.  In fact it's good for any of us, puts things in perspective.  Sorry to hear of your losses.  Again, too young to be suffering those yet.

Have to decide whether or not to run out for those groceries.  I'm really tuckered out from the running around this morning, so may put it on the back burner until tomorrow.  Took out the last of that hunk of eye of the round roast I had cooked a couple of months ago, and some gravy frozen too.  I'm all set for tonight.

Enjoy your company, Kargiver, don't expect we'll see much of you on the boards while they're here.

ETA:  Mmmm how does oatmeal peanut butter chocolate bars sound?  Good to me.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Golly JC sounds as if you had a lot going on to begin with and to have two losses on top, no wonder your emotions are very close to the surface right now.  I agree that the step-daughter needs to get with some people who don't have what she has to appreciate what she's got.  Of course one hopes that the lesson will sink in; be aware that some times it does not and they need to be hit over the head with it and have it pointed out to them in so many words.

Oh TT the suits; I donated mine some time ago and I still miss them.  I could sit down and draw them for you now, the Evan Picone winter white wool with the cross over front, the blue and white one from Syms, the red, the blue....oh well, I do hope someone wore them at least once.

It's about to rain here big time!  Black as night out there...was sitting on the porch eating my left overs for lunch and the cushions are dry from being in the sun, so must get them under cover again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Winter, kept meaning to ask how DS liked Six Flags?  Was it pouring there all day? 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, big disappointment with the choc chips that are supposed to melt enough to be able to spread!  Even turned the oven up to 400, covered the dish and put back in for 5 minutes - still didn't melt enough to spread.  Hope it's saving grace is the dribble you put on top.  I used the last of the caramel sauce I had from the dessert I had made, mixed with peanut butter, a little confec sugar and milk to make a dribble.  Smell good, just hope they aren't over baked with all my trying to melt those choc chips.  So, be forewarned should you go to AR and try the recipe.  Choc chips do not melt at this temp. (350 in 5 minutes).

ETA:  I do have to say they taste delicious.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT, I bet that different brands of chips melt at different rates depending on their ingredients and stabilizers used, etc.  I think some are engineered to hold their shape while still liquefying...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I always used Nestles.  Maybe the cook who posted the recipe used a different brand - BUT - when I wrote my review I noted that the picture she had submitted did NOT have melted choc chips, they were just sitting there on top.  Should have been a clue.  Next time I could frost them with choc frosting and then drizzle the peanut butter drizzle, or I could just bake the choc chips right in the batter.  It definitely is a keeper recipe tho.  I've had 3 already.

Bracelet GD just called to see if she could come over tomorrow to BAKE.  Had I known, wouldn't have baked this afternoon.  She ran down the gamut of things and said she wanted to make the cut out sugar cookies to decorate with sprinkles.  Should have made a run to store this afternoon, but was just too tired.  Will go out first thing in morning. - Funny, that GD and her 12 yr. old bro have never had peanut butter in any form.  They're not allergic, just have never had it.  I won't be the first one to give it to them to try.  Gawd forbid they should be allergic.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Never having had it ups the chance that they will be allergic, so you are wise....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good evening, ladies (and Uncle Ache),

tt, I did, in fact, shower and rest a few minutes before the guests arrived, good advice.  I got up about 20 minutes before they got here and got biscuits going for strawberry shortcake, "regular" for them, spelt for DH and me.  Couldn't give hugs "hello" because I was elbow deep in dough, lol.  We broke open the bottle of red wine they brought (excellent) and waited for DH's return from work.  

And, guess what?!?!  About 10 minutes before DH got home, FIL said we should make sure the restaurant is open for dinner on Tuesday nights.  Hadn't occurrd to me that it might not be, but IT WAS CLOSED and so was every other sit-down place around here!!  I had 20 minutes and NO PLAN!!!  Well, I pulled out a pork tenderloin (one for 4 people!), already baked potatoes, and 4 boxes of pre-cut mushrooms.  I cut up 2 onions and started a mushroom/onion saute, put the toaster oven on 450, shoved the thermometer in the pork, slathered it with butter, panko crumbs, and Bell's seasoning and stuck it in the oven.  Cut up the potatoes and made bacon fat seasoned home fries in the cast iron fry pan.  Dinner was DONE from start to finish in 30 minutes, 20 minutes after DH got home.  Then, after dinner, I mashed up the berries, whipped the cream, and voila, dessert!  Phew!  And, it was my in-laws 53rd wedding anniversary.  So, I'm glad it came out elegant!  Everyone cleaned their plates, and they even went back for seconds of the veggies - the meat was gone after one decent serving per person.  But, I had planned it for a lunch for me and MIL.  Oh, well, we'll have something else. :)  

OMG, the whirlwind - I hardly EVER fly by the seat of my pants, lol.  So, the kitchen is cleaned up (with MIL's help), the "boys" are watching Minute to Win It, and MIL is freshening up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

P.S.  I don't think any chocolate chip would melt a lot in 10 minutes at 350.  But, yes, some melts more readily than others.  But, melted or not, I'd think it would be yummy. :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

JC, nice to see you back.  Sorry for your recent losses, sometime only time will help heal.  Glad to hear you are moved, it must be quite a transistion now that you are with the SK.  Yeah, 13 yo girls are tough, sounds like you have a good plan.

Kar - OMG, I would have freaked out if we found out last minute the restaurants were closed!  You are a magician!  I am sure everyone was flabbergasted.  I think if it were me, we would have ended up with pizza, lol.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

You, Kargiver, are a wizard!  I never would have thought a frozen pork would cook in 30 minutes!What an elegant meal you put together.  (Ahem!  Seems to me at some point there was mention by SOMEONE of you putting together a book like that Pioneer Woman????  Remember that???)

So, today, what are  the plans for you and your MIL?  Seems as tho you have a number of little places you and Gracie go to for a cup of coffee or bite to eat.  She'd probably enjoy seeing how happily Gracie is received by the local businesses.

I've got to get to going with no lallygagging around and run to the store to get eggs to make the cookie dough so it will chill before GD gets here for our cookie baking.  Remember to double check the supply of variety of sprinkles for the tops too.  I'm starving this morning, but will settle for cereal with blueberries instead of the french toast I've been hankering for a couple of days.  Check in a little later -

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Ache, just to clear up the confusion - the pics you posted of a supposedly "hasmat" crew, were actually the new gardeners I hired this year.  Apparently they all suffer from summer allergies, but because they love the work they do, carry on, wearing specialized gear.  The pic of them peering into boxes, was when they took their lunch break.  All of them brought their own food, and I chuckled because like kids in a cafeteria, there was some swapping of lunches going on.  Some of them are allergic to peanut butter as well, and heard I do a lot of my baking with it.  So as not to be tempted by the wonderful aroma, they had what look like gas masks slung around their waists.  At the first hint of baking, they all tightened the masks around their faces, - but kept right on working.  A very dedicated crew and I'm very happy with them.

I hope this clears up your misconception about my premises being raided.  I've hired them to do the lawn work every 2 weeks, so should you choose to stake out my house again in 2 weeks, that's the scene that will be repeated.  Please no more false accusations that hit the press and stir my neighbors up.

P.S.  I notice you chose not to post the picture of me bringing out cold drinks to them and sharing a laugh or two -

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Now that is the the TT we know and love!  =)

Kar, WOW!  I'm super impressed, and sounds like your guests were, too, not that you need to impress them.  How does Gracie take to havign company in the house?  Our pup thinks of houseguests as new toys!  He gets super excited and just wants to play and show off his tricks. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning ladies and Uncle Ache (love that, Kar),
    You are definitely a kitchen wizard, Kar. I would have found a pizza place, no matter how far we had to go. Your tenderloin sounds like the one I make Rack-o-Lamb style. They do cook up in no time. A great thing to have in the freezer. I buy mine at Costco. They come in a packet of 4. Bringing them home, I immediately divide them up in separate packaged and I will always (well most of the time) have something I can make up quickly.
    Did you get to pick the rest of the Strawberries yesterday? It was pouring here. Wish I was more than a Chat friend, I would love to come and help you. Your strawberry patch reminds me of my childhood. Re: Eat yourself full until your stomach hurts. And there would still be plenty leftover for you to prepare, whichever way you wanted. LOL
    tt, re your chock chips. If they get too old they dry out. I am not saying, you kept them too long. But I have, by mistake, picked up a package, that had been sitting too long on the shelf. Now, I always make sure to pick the freshest one. (Yes, you would hate to see me in the store. I overturn every package, piece of meat, and pick the latest dated.) I do hope you do the same. LOL
    Re my swimsuit, just in case anyone care. I have been looking for one for the past two weeks. They are so-o-o-o expensive. I like a two piece one. You find a better fit and they are a lot easier to change in a narrow spot. I found one, I really liked. DH told me, "Buy it!". Well the top  was $108. Then you had to buy the bottom for another $90. $200  for a swimsuit? I don't even pay that much for a formal dress. I am not one to walk showing off on the beach or the boardwalk. I just want to use my own pool and my son's. My own pool it doesn't matter, but I wanted to find something nicer, that didn't fall off me, when I go to TX.
    Dh's light-bulb turned on. "Why don't you just get a couple of boxer shorts and some of the camis you already have?"
    Found a couple of very nice shorts at Burlington Factory. One is black, white, hot pink and orange. The other one black, white, green and aqua. I have a black Cami already, that will go with them both, and I have ordered a couple more camis to go w/ them. Search is over.
    Last night's pork chops in the pressure cooker came out wonderfully. I slathered them w/ Hats Sweet Baby Ray's sauce. Only 8 minutes, and they were so tender and delicious. Served them w/ a salad w/ my mother's special dressing.
    Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, ladies!  They were impressed, and I was super relieved I had SOMETHING to put together especially since it was their 53rd wedding anniversary dinner - surprise!  The pork was fresh, tt - I had bought it with the intent of cooking it today for me and MIL for lunch and dinner (now, have to get something else, but we have all day so that will give us something to do).  At 450 (yay for the toaster oven), one tenderloin should be done in about 30 minutes - thank God I caught that episode of Racheal Ray's 30 Minute Meals, hahaha!  Yes, tt, I think I might truly write that book - will keep you posted on my progress.

The visit is going great, as expected.  MIL is doing her yoga (she is an avid practicer at 75!), and we've had a leisurely morning over coffee.  I'm still in my PJs!  Good idea about taking her and Gracie somewhere nearby; that'd be fun.

Have fun with the cookies, tt!

I suppose I should shower... :)

ETA:  Pingo, sorry - meant to mention I have found lovely suits at Everything But Water.  They are very well made, have different coverage levels (from skimpy to skirted), and average about $80.  A lot per square inch, lol, but lovely suits.  However, your solution sounds great, and you will look and feel fabulous in anything by the pool these days, my dear!

Yes, I finished getting the strawberries yesterday - another 10 lbs awaits us today, and MIL wants to help.  She knows what's she's getting into having done it herself many times before.

Whoops, meant to answer your question about Gracie, too, Nov - my head is not in the game this morning!  Gracie knows and loves Grammy and Grampy and does get pretty exuberant, but not overly so - she's a grown up, now, lol, at 4 yo.  I did have to put her in her crate this morning, though, so she wouldn't get Grampy's golf pants all wet dog.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo, bathing suit wise, I hate to spend a lot as well.  A couple of places that I have found to have reasonable suits at reasonable prices are Sears, TJ Maxx/Marshalls, and Bealls Outlet (in FLA.)  Also, yoga separates can be a good solution as you found out; I got a couple of skorts from Costco at 9.99 each, one black and can be worn with any top.  One was pink; I searched around at Marshall's and found a haltered yoga tank on the clearance rack for 9.99 also so I have two solutions - and the skort is long enough that I feel ok wearing it travelling to and from the pool.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning. tt, it didn't ran at Six Flags last Friday; it had stopped before they got there. He LOVED it, since he loves the roller coasters. Your baking day should be fine today.

JC, nice to hear from you, but sorry about your losses. Al 13 year olds or almost 13 year olds are that way. Good luck.

Pingo, did you try Land's End for a bathing suits? They are/were having a sale on all of them Monday. I too like the Tankini. 

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, yeah, Land's End!  You can get a number of tops and bottoms there that coordinate.  I have a tankini I was saving for Tankini Day, Ache, but that didn't happen. :(  I got a new one piece last year, a hot pink Bagley Mishka, for a deep discount online, and that is my favorite, now...not that we have a pool or travel to tropical places.  But, SIL does have one and I'm hoping to visit this summer at her pool.  Seems she's never around or has time to enjoy it even by herself, though.  Maybe I'll just wear it out on the patio with a cold beer and my feet in the kiddie pool we got for Gracie that she ignores, LOL.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Kar, I am impressed with your dinner! I think I'm actually going to make something like that tonight, with chicken breast instead of pork, minus the bell seasoning.  I come home from work and have about 30 mins to make dinner before the kids (and DH!) start getting hungry and whiney :)  Baked chicken with panko breadcrumbs is a hit with DD1 - and healthier than "chicken nuggets".   The mushroom and onion saute sounds good too and we have some mushrooms.  What did you use to flavor it?   The hash browns sound great but we will probably have sweet potato fries (Alexia Brand) with it -quicker!

DD2 crawling update - she is now obsessed with pulling herself up to stand but has fallen enough times that she's become very cautious.  So she will stand up in one place for a long time and then when she decides she wants to move elsewhere she has several "false starts" of attempting to lower herself back to the floor before she actually does it. Very cute. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, re your tenderloin. Have you ever made it in a thick bottom skillet? Season it w/ salt and pepper, brown it on all sides then add water to cover half way up. Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. That is the way my mother always made them, and she made the best. You get a delicious gravy this way. After I take out the tenderloin, I add a bit of half n' half, turn up the heat and cook the gravy until it thickens a bit.
    I did look at the Everything But Water website. Nice suits, but again a lot more than I want to pay for a swimsuit. I am truly happy, with my finds, but thanks for mentioning it. Since they don't look like swimsuits, I can even wear them around the yard and on our deck on a hot summer day. And if it gets too hot out, I can jump right into the pool. LOL
    Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"Guest baker" has just left with a tray of sugar palm trees, butterflies, and a couple of sugar sprinkle fish for Daddy, and a smaller dish of the peanut butter/choc squares for her Dad.  We chatted about this and that, I ended up giving her a Christmas gift I had put away, and she told me of their social calendar of mini vacations throughout the summer.  Quite the young lady at 9.

Rama, they are so cute when they are going through that bouncing up and down on their haunches before actually sitting down.

Pingo, glad you solved your bathing suit dilemma.

Ran up to the grocery store around 8:30 for the eggs I was out of, and of course came out with much more, including some ham and cheese, which is sounding good to me with some potato salad and iced tea for supper.  Somehow, feels like a Friday to me.  Have to remember to get the trash out tomorrow.

Still having  trouble with the boards.  Lots of time get as far as clicking on June 2013 and the rest of the page stays blank.  Click to the various pages, but nothing changes.  Very aggravating, such a waste of time to just sit here.  No trouble on other sites, so it has to be BDC.  Same with Chrome or IE.

Will close off now and catch some of Dr. Phil if it's not a repeat.  Need a cold drink too, and to put my share of cookies away.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, what a cookie baking success. I can picture them. I too am having troubles trying to get here. I gave up for a bit. I can't believe the kids have never had anything with peanut butter in it. I think I gave DS a little taste a little after 1. 

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

Sections
Shortcuts