June 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: June 2013

In response to kargiver's comment:

Aw, they are both gorgeous cats!  Glad you like shutterfly.  

best on the walk tomorrow - good thinking having an escape plan, but hopefully you won't need it.  Can you take an inhaled steroid in the morning to keep inflammation down?

Thanks Kar..I love them to pieces.lol. They've got everyone in the house spoiling them because they are so irresistable.

Right now I only use albuteral but yesterday called the Dr. to phone in a new steroid inhaler. I haven't needed one in a long time but figured it's better to have it. I'll probably use it until the cough disappears. I am hoping I won't need the escape plan either..!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

Oh, there's the little boy in his "covered wagon" going by again tonight.  So cute.  This time his Dad's pulling him.

Looked to see what I had saved in pics of Cheerio, but I deleted most of them, so no postage stamp shots even to show your handsome male cat, M.  He might be quite taken with her, many are.

TT, I can't wait to see her picture :-) You could be right..he could be quite taken with her although I have to warn you..he's a confirmed bachelor....lol

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

As you probably know, the great thing about the inhaled steroidal one is that it is non-systemic; it only acts on your lungs, as my doctor explained it to me, so you don't have to worry about side effects like you do with oral steroids like prednisone.  It should help the inflammation that is keeping your cough going dramatically.  Maybe keep it up during pollen season if there's anything out there that is irritating your lungs/bronchial tubes. 

I took a photo of DH in the garden with many of his beauties planted, but the resolution was too low and it was too grainy for some reason.  I'll have to try again tomorrow with the real camera instead of the ipad; that seems to work better.  What hoops we have to jump through, now, to post photos!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Cheerio would sway any heart - irrestistable. :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:

As you probably know, the great thing about the inhaled steroidal one is that it is non-systemic; it only acts on your lungs, as my doctor explained it to me, so you don't have to worry about side effects like you do with oral steroids like prednisone.  It should help the inflammation that is keeping your cough going dramatically.  Maybe keep it up during pollen season if there's anything out there that is irritating your lungs/bronchial tubes. 

I took a photo of DH in the garden with many of his beauties planted, but the resolution was too low and it was too grainy for some reason.  I'll have to try again tomorrow with the real camera instead of the ipad; that seems to work better.  What hoops we have to jump through, now, to post photos!

Thanks..and as much as I hate using it..I will probably keep it up through the end of allergy season. I go on occasional courses of oral steroids and the only side effect that really bothers me is the constant hunger. I almost always gain weight on them...so not a very good side effect. I also use flonase for my allergies in general.

I can't wait to see more pictures of your garden. It's inspirational...lol. My weekends have been so busy but next weekend I plan on doing some serious yard work!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

So many fire sirens intermittently all day yesterday, and now this morning, as I sit down at the computer, they're starting again.  Don't seem to be headed this way, toward wooded areas for those underground fires that start up during extremely hot weather, but up towards the other end of town.

Good luck today with your walk, M.  I hope it's not as humid there as it feels here.  Just a slight breeze now and then through the window.

Harry must be having Sunday breakfast at C.L.'s.  I've even softly called him ("Harry Oliver - -") in case he's still asleep under the shrub.  I feel much better when he comes early before the traffic picks up as he has to cross the street coming and going.

My son just sent me a pic of my DIL asleep in bed with Lilly sleeping, laying across the bed, legs extending over DIL's middle, with the caption, "No wonder she's always tired" !  She loves to sleep with Nana.  They hate to say no to her, but I'll bet DIL can't remember the last time she had a good night's sleep.

Off to press something to wear today, then into the shower and then breakfast.  O.j., Pumperknickel toast with applesauce and hot, hot coffee, I think this morning.

ETA:  He slept in late, I guess.  Cheerio was looking this way and that out the kitchen window and I went and said, "He's not out here.  I don't see any Harry."  Out he came, sleepily, and ready to eat.  Afterwards I watched to see which way he went, up the chipmunk rock lined path to the buddha, veering off, creeping in the undergrowth of ferns and iris.  Snack of a chipmunk would finish off his breakfast good.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

MC, the inhaled steroids should not impact your hunger, just the pills.  If you are on the inhaled one, you'll have no side effects and it will help a lot, I believe.  Best on your walk today!!  

Co-sleeping is very "in" right now...I couldn't do it; I must get my sleep or I get migraines; I'm no good to anyone in that state so my child would have to sleep in his or her crib/bed.  The horror, lol.  Sounds like a cute photo, though!

I shudder to think of Harry roaming around in high traffic times, too...scary.  Maybe he has learned to cross safely - it seems squirrels do have a pretty good sense of when to dart across.

DH is out in the garden already to try to beat the heat, and Gracie is pining for his attention on the yet cool back granite steps that are still shaded right now.

I would like to go dress shopping for our next two parties, a bd party for family kids next Saturday, and the triplets' first birthday the Saturday after.  But, there's nothing, nothing, nothing nearby.  I think I'll plan a trip East this week to maybe lunch with the trips' dad (first choice) or someone else (close second) and go shopping.  My favorite sundress of my whole life (the floral one in the May LoseIt thread) is far too big and is now owned and worn proudly by my walking friend from town.  I have yet to replace it.  DH loved that one, too, and was sad (sort of) that I got a mere one wear out of it.

Speaking of new clothes, I got 2 more pairs of my yoga pants, but they were too long because "short" was too short and "regular" was too long.  I had them tailored and am picking them up tomorrow.  Can't wait!  I've never done that before, but these are great pants, soooo comfy but presentable.

Can you tell I'm using my wireless keyboard instead of struggling with the on-screen one of the iPad?  LOL, I'll sign off so you can get to something other than my rambling this morning. :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Remember yesterday I said I wish someone would call me and invite me somewhere?  About an hour after I posted that, son called to see if I wanted to go to GD's graduation this week.  Usually there are only seats for immediate fam, so was surprised and pleased.  We'll grab a bite to eat afterwards, and then the party will be at her other grandmother's next week-end.  I told him to ask her if there was anything special she would like me to make.  He said, "the gingerbread men with the graduation hats you made for her brother" - but I told him it's her party, her choice what she would like.

Thinking of what I will wear, probably white pants and sleeveless top with the new bright print over blouse I bought with the gift cards - AND, my new bag I bought with other gift cards.

All this thought brought on by your post about clothes shopping, Kargiver.  I hate to shop for clothes.  So always glad when I have something new I've picked up randomly, that works in fine for the occasion.  You're lucky in that you get to plan in a lunch when you head "east".

As for tailoring, I get all my slacks shortened by the cleaner now.  Expensive, especially for the sweats, but I figure I can afford it now, where as years ago with 4 boys, I had to cut and hem them all myself - theirs and mine.  I always took pride in my sewing tho, so felt I did a good job on the hems.

Ended up with the American chop suey for supper last night, only over a couple of slices of bread, so definitely will make up the lemon soup (only calls for 1 lemon) some time today.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

Good morning!  Kar--try Frugal Frannies again, if you feel like the trip down. They are closed on Tuesdays. They had a lot of dresses-casual and formal. Prices are fantastic. 

TT-nice invite to the graduation-is it during the week? At least it is going to cool down for baking.

Last night I cooked mussells in tomatoes, garlic, onion and wine. DS and I had some, with a nicec baguette for dipping into the juice. I took all the leftovers out of the shells, with the remaining liquid, and will do something with that today-maybe some pasta. I have shrimp and schrod I could add, but DS hates shrimp--will have to thinnk about  that. I had also hit the salad bar at Lamberts, and got lots of little odds and ends-I love to do that.

I stayed in last nigt-poured some wine, but the ice kept melting, and it was so watered down. I kept pouring more, and more ice, and I guess I was just too slow to stay ahead of the melting. I watched the whole season-so far- of the little couple. I just love them.

I can feel the heat coming now, so I wil close the windows- I , too, oopen them at night for the cool air, and close up in the AM.  I don't believe it will be quite as hot today, though. OK--will check in later!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, how nice for that invite, and funny timing!  Love the crisp, summery look of white pants.  Your whole ensemble sounds very fashionable.  What do you think GD will want you to bring for her instead of what her brother wanted (so cute!).

I can usually wear regular length pants off the rack, but these were just not working, and I love them so much I used up some of the sale savings on getting them hemmed.  I understand why you would want someone else to do it even if you can do it yourself.  I can't sew and have no desire to learn so if it's going to happen someone else has to do it!  

I try to bundle things when I make trips East - too much gas to spend on singleton errands, and I haven't had lunch with the trips' dad since November.  We are good friends and enjoy catching up over a pint and Reubens.  I hope I find a dress for Saturday's party; I have something fairly specific in mind so it might be difficult.  Something about knee length (seems things are either to the floor or "up to there" right now), fully lined, sweetheart neckline that is neither too revealing nor up to my neck, and flattering colors or black.  Not THAT specific, LOL, right?  Clothes shopping is a chore. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tulips, we posted at the same time...

What a dinner!!  Omg, I'd enjoy that so much.  Funny about the wine and the ice - I don't mind it warm so I don't have that problem.  I suppose others would find it disgusting, especially white!  DS likes mussels but not shrimp?  I love just about everything from the sea.

There's a FF's in Framingham so I intend to stop there and see what I can find, thanks for the tip.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I didn't realize there was a FF in Framingham - thought there was just the one in Westwood.  I just googled and don't see any listed except Westwood - better check before you go running around, Kargiver.  I used to love the one that was in Reading.  Got all my work suits there and always could pick up a nice birthday gift or two.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, goodness, thanks, tt - there was one there last I knew, but that was probably upwards of 6 years ago so it may have closed.  It was awful then, like a bad yard sale, so no surprise if it's gone.  I know I only went there once...others must not have re-patronized it either if it's closed.  It was on Rt 32 across from Bickford's or there abouts.  If they improved, which it sounds like they have, apparently that one didn't catch the wave.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tulips1954. Show tulips1954's posts

I didn't know there was another FF's, either! 

Yes, Kar- I love pretty much anything from the sea, too. The funny thing about DS is he hates shrimp, but says he loves prawns. He says there is a difference, but I don't think so.  It is his aspergers  coming out! Very specific on likes/dislikes!

He is very specific on things- he is in the process now of getting"official" diagnosis of aspbergers. DD is from the medical field, so she is handling that at MGH. He is 40.  Not sure if I ever mentioned that before.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

So glad your DD is able to forge through the testing/diagnosis with her brother.  I think in all parts of that spectrum they've made huge strides in the treatment.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning everyone,
    Our visit to RI yesterday was just wonderful. As we were driving down there, we saw the outside temperature dropping (in the car, under the hood) from 92 to 79. Just amazing and it is only 2 hours from here.
    Had a lovely afternoon/evening. Such a shot-in-the-arm feeling. Sat on the rocks w/ our feet in the water enjoying a cocktail. Then we moved up to their deck overlooking the ocean to watch the sunset. Steaks and local grown corn were put on the grill. Those corn were so, so good. Very sweet. Had a lovely dinner and was sitting there just chatting away. Couldn't move ourselves to go inside. It was one of those very special evenings weather-wise. Soft and warm.
    We finally left, and didn't get home until after midnight. And while we were driving, the car's thermometer was slowly going up again from 65 to 79.
    I used to love the FF in Reading too, tt. One of the items I bought there years ago, was 3  Pashmina scarfs. They have served me so well. I take one of them w/ me on the airplains. They are huge and serve so well as a blanket. The airplaines are always freezing cold.
    Tulips, it sounds like you, or whoever cooks in your family, is a gourmet chef. What a wonderful dinner you had. I love all kind of seafood. Those mussels would have been right down my alley.
    Lot cooler today. Hope your DH gets all his "babies" in the ground. Hope you will post more pictures.
    Have a good day everyone. Stay cool!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

The graduation is during the week, Tulips, at night, but the party itself will be during the day next week-end.  Talked with DIL and besides whatever sweet "my sweet" wants, will make a big tray of the chicken/cheese casserole everyone loves.  Even tho they were/are catered affairs, I made it for G.T. and partner's wedding, and they make it for each of their Christmas parties.

Glad you had such a nice time yesterday, Pingo.  Your description was perfect, I could feel the cold water on my toes!  Also, thanks for reminding me I have some corn (not fresh from the farm unfortunately) in my crisper.  I tend to forget stuff I put in those drawers.  With the S&S corn, I always sprinkle a little sugar in the water while the corn is cooking.  I've been enjoying it this season, so glad I seem to be able to again.  Once the farmer's market opens - maybe it already has, I'll get the corn from there each week.

This talk about FF  - I still have a couple of the suits from there hanging upstairs.  Don't know why I can't get rid of them, I'll certainly never wear them again.  I'm in the grandma stage now where I wear slacks to most everything, since I can't wear dressy shoes anymore.  I guess I just loved these two particularly, but I really should add them to the pick-up bag for Vietnam vets.  Don't even know if they'd be considered in style now.

Stripped bed, washed down bathroom, and threw a wash in.  Buzzer went off a little while ago, so I'll bring up the full basket and see what's on TV to watch while I fold.  Comfortable day here now, with a breeze blowing in.  No A/C on.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Interesting, Tulips - I wonder if his brain really does process a difference; he processes other things more sharply so why not taste, too?  I hope he gets the diagnosis he seeks and that knowledge proves beneficial.  We thought DH's nephew had asberger's but turns out it's something else...not sure what.  He's able to function in the world, but differently than others.  Not necessarily a bad thing.

Have you tried Rockport dress shoes with a 1 - 2" heel, tt?  They are super comfy, like tennis shoes, but you could wear a dress with them if you wanted.  Sofft, Rockport, and Aerosoles are all brands I'd try if you wanted to have that option, and they'd dress pants up, too.  Not that you need them, but just saying that there are well designed very supportive (hidden) shoes out there that are stylish - it's all I wear, actually.  No spike heels and uncushioned, unsupportive soles for me, either.  

I, too, stripped the bed and the buzzer went off not too long ago.  Time to throw those in the dryer and to put another load in.

We have the windows open, too...lovely breeze.  I suppose I should walk Gracie after I do the wash, but I'm really feeling like having a cold beer on the patio instead.

ETA:  Pingo, what a great day - thanks for the fab description - like tt, I felt like I lived it! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Good afternoon everyone!!   Our computer is on the fritz, sometimes DD can get it going for a while, so I'm taking advantage of it.  I'm still in lots of pain, the pain meds make me extra sleepy, so all I do all day is eat a bit, sleep, read a page or two and thats it.  Someone mentioned lilacs, I love them, they had just com out when I went into the hospital so I missed them this year, maybe next year I'll have a bumper crop.  Once I tried to play catch up on the boards got as far as page 17 in May,  too tiring, gave up, so now when I can I'll just post on the day and eventually catch up with last month.  Don't think I'll forget Mothers day this year, but at least I had my KFC before I fell!!  Till next time, take care everyone and for heavens sake don't fall.  ss

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

SS, so good to see you!  No need to catch up - all you need to know is that you've been in our thoughts and prayers and we've been hanging on tt's every word of your progress.  Sorry you had to go through this - please listen to the docs and take your pain meds.  Pain itself actually causes your body to release hormones that make everything worse, it causes a vicious cycle of more inflammation and more pain.  Glad you got your KFC in!  Too bad for missing the lilacs...I wish I could have (allergy)...not that I would have wanted broken ribs instead, though!

Take care of yourself and God bless!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Hi All.  SS - glad to see you posting again, hope you are feeling better.

That's nice you are going to the graduation.  Exciting time of year.

I used to go to the FF in Reading as well.  I get my car serviced at the Mercedes dealership right by the FF in Westwood.  I went in there recently and it was gross!  I know they are just warehouses, but this one just felt dirty.  Also, the class of people in there was, well, let's just say "questionable."  I won't be going back.  It's too bad, they used to have quality suits and coats.

Enjoy the sunny day, but stay cool!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Princess, you do know Tulips posted about going to FF, don't you?  Thought maybe you hadn't seen that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

SS, glad you were able to get on the computer.  Giving up thoughts of getting a new one for now?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Boy, even tho it's sunny and hot, we are getting the tail winds of what must have been the hurricane/tornado.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I can't believe this! Do you ladies know, there is a difference between a ball pen and a roller ball pen? Well I didn't - but now I do. Big difference. DH got as a gift from our employees a Mont Blanc ball pen ages ago. He uses it every day. and it has been repaired  several times; it has lifetime warrenty. It is his lucky writing instrument, if there is such a thing.
    He asked me to get him a new refill. No sweat, or so I thought. None of the office supply stores have the refills any longer. Plenty of roller balls, but no ball pens. And the ball pens they do carry are disposable.
    So I just spent a couple of hours on the net and the phone, trying to find one. Everyone told me, "No one uses ball point pens any more." Well, DH and I do (I have a nice, gold-plated Cross pen). Are we that ancient?  Found a few places, that carried them, but didn't have them in stock and couldn't say when they will get them back.
    I finally lucked out, and found a company, I never heard of, that had one pack of 3 left. Hopefully they will show up next week.
    It's Sunday, so we are going for pizza. What's on everyone else's dinner plates?

Sections
Shortcuts