June 2013

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: June 2013

Thanks JC. I know my son won't be going to an all boys HS, not that there is anything wrong with it, but he has no desire too and I won't force him into it. He's showing interest in Arlington Catholic, so we'll see.

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing
     - Darth Vadar

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I know, I will get battered w/ this. But I really do believe it is baloney, that boys need girls in their classes in HS (and the other way around). Plenty of other ways to interact w/ the opposite sex.
    Our boys went to an all boys' HS. And they turned out just fine. They had plenty of girlfriends/dates outside school. In fact they appreciated it, as there was no distraction for them at school. I know plenty of parents, that feel the same way.
    Now, our boys were both very focused at what they wanted to do. Children are different, and what suits one child, may not be good for another child.
    I just cringe, whenever I hear, that children is better off going to a co-ed HS. It is just not true. They would have to live under a rock, not to interact with the opposite sex during their 4 years of HS.
    Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Opened up the cabinet in the l.r. and pulled out a skein of the afghan yarn (sage green was what I felt like working on today), took my knitting needles and pattern directions and sat out in the yard.  It was so peaceful.  Let my mind wander to knitting up Lake Winnie and then to sitting on my Great Aunt's wraparound porch t the crest of a hill in Livermore Falls, ME, knitting and talking with the other women of the household.  Before I knew it I had done 2 sets of the pattern, 8 rows in each, and no drops, skips, or miscounts that I can see.

Had a piece of mail that really had to get out today to make the deadline, and surprised the mailman who had been around, did not take it.  He most always checks my mailslot, even if there is no incoming mail for me.  Maybe he's feeling a little off today.  Anyway, hopped in the car and made it to the mailbox before the listed pickup time.

The fruit salad was delicious and has surprisingly stayed with me, keeping the hungers away.  I filled quite a large container with cut up fruit while I was making it this morning, so will have that for a couple of days.  Cooking up an ear of corn, some spinach, and a piece of steak for supper.

I've lost several days, have been thinking every day is Friday.  Don't want to wish this beautiful weather away.  Never did get upstairs to sort out those clothes, and won't now.  That'll keep for another day.  Cheerio sat at the slider and watched me while I knitted outside, and now that I'm in again, has settled down for a nap.  I need a cool drink, and then will check on Dr. Phil to see what's up there today.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo, my DS just doesn't want to go to one and I won't force him to go since I want him to be happy with the choice and do well. I was hoping he'd want to go to Malden Catholic but no desire. Austin Prep isn't too far from me, but their price tag is a bit much for me.

- Darth Vadar

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, now I want fruit salad. Wish I could see your afghan, it sounds very pretty.

- Darth Vadar

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter, you are on the right track. Do what your son feel happiest with. After all, he has to spend 4  years there. Our sons went to co-ed grade school and was delighted not to have any "air-heads" (their expression, not mine - LOL) in their HS classes. They were both very science/math oriented, and the girls did just not fit in according to them.
    Sorry, Kar - I know you have a degree in Math - so do I. It was my favorite subject. But kids look at it differently.
    tt, I feel so envious. I would have loved to sit next to you knitting. My favorite past time. We (my mother, sister and I) used to do it all the time. Moving away and after marriage, I used to do it while watching TV. These days I am too tired evenings. What are you making? Another Afghan?
    Btw. I am almost done w/ the yo-yo table runner for our DIL. I am stitching the yo-yos together right now. It is coming out really pretty. Wish I could post a picture. Her BD is on the 28th, but I decided, I will bring it, when we go there for the 4th. I want to see her face opening the gift. I know, she will be happily surprised. I did it a little differently than some of the website suggestions. Instead of making it row by row, I inter-spaced them. Imagine your cookie sheet w/ three, then two, then 3 etc. cookies. I did it similar to that. I picked up one of the blue colors in all the greens and am planning to make a solid border to add all around. Do I make sense?
    I think she will love it. She is a crafter herself, so she appreciate home made things. She made and gave me a beautiful handkerchief for her wedding, w/ their "logo" and my name on it. I hardly dare to use it. Lovely girl!
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It is the same afghan I have been working on for years!  And the only time I did not pick up enough skeins for the whole thing right at the beginning. So, if I ever do finish the yarn I have (rose, tan and green colors), will have to knit a few squares in a different shade and place them strategically to blend in, as tho I'd planned it that way. 

The runner sounds so pretty.  What a nice gift to bring.  She will be so pleased, because as you said, any crafter realizes how much work goes into something handmade.  Please take a pic, even tho we can't post now, that may be a feature they give us back in the future.  Would love to see it.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, your afghan sounds great. Love all those colors. Do you have anyone in mind to give it to? Or are you going to keep it for yourself and Cheerio? When you put it all together, no one will know you ran out of yarn.
    Oh, do I ever wish I could sit next to you on your deck or mine. We could have quite an afternoon. I need someone to stimulate me, when I craft. DH is not the one. He loves, what I am doing, when it is finished. What are those round things for? Ever heard that one before?
    I have to say, I am very pleased with the way the yo-yo table runner came out. Thank you my dear friend - you got me started :). Remember, I never heard of a yo-yo before? I will definitely take a picture of it. Maybe my son in TX can post it for me. The colors are my DIL's of course. Different shades of green w/ some blue print in it. I bought an apron from WS, when I visited last. Same color scheme - she loved it. Can't wait to give it to her.
    Having corn and baked cod for dinner. Watermelon for dessert. What's on everyone elses' plate?

- Eleanor Roosevelt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'll give this to whomever is needing one when it's done.  First come, first served, kind of thing.  Cheerio and I already have one I made years ago, two shades of purple and grey.  I make them up in 3 colors, alternated, 35, 9" basket weave squares sewn together to complete each afghan, then fringes at both ends.

My supper was the steak, spinach and an ear of corn.  Easy clean up.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning and Happy Summer!
    Today is the official day of summer.
    Where is everyone this morning? Or are you just having trouble loading the Forums? I almost gave up this morning. What's going on BDC?
    DH left really early this morning - long before I even knew it was daylight. He always let me sleep in those mornings. But I did have a lovely morning. Not w/ him, but with the birds on my deck.
    The Cardinal family has finally settled in, and are now feeding at our feeder. It took a while (years) though. This morning while I was having my cuppa, they were there feeding their 3 babies. Cute, cute, cute! The male is still a bit bashful, but the female go right to it. They don't care I am there.
    One thing we did change was, that DH lifted the feeder 18 inches or so up. Now the squirrels have a heck of a time to get to it. And when they do, the shrouds closes on them. You may not remember, but our feeder is right on our deck railing. The squirrels found, that the spread was put out for them. Scared away some of the birds.
    Getting ready for our company coming Sunday. Not looking forward to it, but it is what it is. The sister and children decided not to come, when they learned, they have to pay full airfare for the little ones. And DH insisted they rent a car to take them around. So, it is not going to be as bad as first expected. I don't know these people at all, so it makes it a lot harder. DH told me not to worry about food. We will get a lot of take out pizzas. LOL

- Eleanor Roosevelt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

I've been checking the boards, but had nothing interesting to report, so had to wait for someone else to get the ball rolling.  I'm always conscious now of poster who remarked on my posts consisting solely of food and cats, so a little camera shy some days.

I can't for a minute picture you feeding your guests pizza two days in a row, Pingo.  You'll be whipping up something, and I'm sure they'll love it.  No allergies to contend with, so just do your thing.  You come up with some great "throw togethers" that sound quite delicious.

I looked out last night and the large rabbit was again in the yard, munching on clover, I suppose.  There's a large patch of it in the middle of the yard, but he kept to the sides, and when the flashes from my camera went off, he hunkered down still for quite a few minutes.  Was trying to catch a zoom in of him to send to my neighbor who feeds Harry, but can't find the zoom lens on the new camera, and I had to rip open batteries and get them inserted in the old one and then reacquaint myself with how that one worked, before I could try.  Nothing worth even keeping.  I had put an old ear of corn up the back of the yard before he appeared and thought that might have attracted him, but when I checked this morning, it's still there, untouched.

Today's the day for the "hazmat" crew to come, and I hope they bring the mulch this time.  Pretty soon the weeds will be too many for them to even bother putting it down.

Had my breakfast of bacon and raisin toast with cream cheese, but feeling as tho I need some little thing, maybe a peanut butter square with another cup of coffee, before I get started in earnest on washes.  Wish I were a guest at G.T.'s tonight, found he is cooking a new recipe for salmon (crazy to try out a new recipe on a first time guest, don't you think?) and of course the baked alaskas for dessert.  How can I possibly top that?

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Nice to see your post (cats, food or otherwise), tt.
    I felt lonesome this morning. I am usually posting late. Have to get DH out the door, and that require some doing.
    I guess you are right my friend. I can't eat pizza for two days either. Hopefully the weather will corporate, so DH can man the grill. Not a job he loves, but it is his guests after all. Right? I didn't invite them. Neither did he, but that is another story all together.
    I will have some corn and marinate some eggplant slices to go on the gril. Then a package of my cheesy potatoes (yukon golds in cut up pieces w/ onions a couple of garlic cloves, shredded cheese and parsley thrown in for good measure) wrapped in tin foil and thrown on the grill. These people are veggies, which makes it so much harder to serve them. Watermelon for dessert is always a good choice - or maybe some mashed up strawberries w/ whipped cream (the can kind).
    Breakfast? I already made muffins, but I will make another batch of your apple sauce muffins - just to have some change. And then the blueberries are at their peek and buy one/get one free. So blueberry pancakes will be on the morning menu as well.
    Now, I have to go and change the bed sheets (again ---). Have a good day.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Welcome summer!!!!!

What are eveyone's summer plans?  I think a few of us head north a lot duing the summer.  That is my plan. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Your foil cheesy potatoes sound good.  And you're right, the blueberries are plump, delicious and cheap right now.  Almost picked some up Wednesday, but then thought, no, they'll be buy one get one free this next week, I'm sure.  I love getting a supply of them for the freezer.  The sliced strawberries with sugar to draw out the juice, mixed with handfuls of blueberries, were a nice dessert when I had it Sunday, all by themselves.  A cool cleansing of your mouth.

Next weekend will be the get together for pumpkins's brother to be, and I've still not done anything about a poem for him.  I know she wants the same things to keep for him as I gave pumpkin, so one of these mornings when I'm feeling creative will have to get writing - then pick up the card decorations at Michael's.  Lazy today, or I'd run out and pick up the stock I need.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I know, tt. You can't just sit down, and tell yourself, "Now I am going to write a poem!". It doesn't work that way. I feel the same way doing water coloring. Friends ask me, please do a picture of such and such. Can't do it. It has to come from w/i. If I have to live on my paintings, I would be starving and homeless.
    Do you have some baby items on hand? Get them, feel them, and I am sure in no time your creativity will be flowing. Especially if you have saved some of your own children's most favorite objects. Just a thought and good luck.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I too have had trouble getting in to the forums but just now it's ok.  So TT don't hesitate; if you can, post, because you never know if you will be able to when you get the urge.

I am having company tonight and have a menu planned including using some of the herbs from the backyard, mint and oregano. Pasta salad and turkey sandwiches.  Trying to decide if I should throw some chicken on or wait until tomorrow to to cook it.  Hoping to have a beach day this weekend.  Boring here with lots of cleaning up from the school year and moving stuff from place to place. 

No interesting summer plans here; DH is reluctant to take time off.  DD working full time as well.  I hope to swim on my own and do some crafting.  My volunteer work continues this summer so if I get bored I can always ramp up on that.

Pingo, does your company eat Chinese food, or Indian food?  Good choices for vegetarian guests and less work for you.  Indian restaurants, especially, are used to vegetarians and will help make sure you have good food to offer.  Navratan Korma (vegetable korma) is a good choice.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

A couple of good calls today - one from a Fla friend who was anticipating a knee replacement verdict from an Ortho, and has instead been given a cortisone shot and started on P.T.  Another from a friend setting up a lunch date next week.

In the meantime, I have been busy, sweeping up little (no, not little) dead black bodies - ants.  Every year at this time I get those large ants, they're not the carpenter, but just large black ants.  Had 4 ant traps unopened from last year and put them around after cleaning out the kitchen cabinets - luckily they made their first appearance on Tuesday before GD's date the next day to bake cookies.  If she caught sight of them - there'd be no more cookie baking here ever.  Not much spray in the house, but sprayed what was left of Raid into a crevice in the kitchen wall where I seem to see them first, then followed up with some indoor plant insect spray, and topped off with Fabreeze, the last one for my sniffing sensibilities!  Know they don't cross chalk lines, and have always kept chalk in kitchen cabinets, and the old cucumber peel remedy has never worked for me.  What I do need is to get out for some more traps, with a can of spray for backup.  But not today.  Instead, I sweep em up.  That's how I'll spend my afternoon, watching for those black spots dropping, and then sweeping em up.

ETA:  Reread my post and decided it was a little too gross, so cleaned it up a bit.  Don't want to be responsible for clearing the boards for the afternoon!

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

JC, Tulips, Cricket, Winter thinking of you and hoping you are enjoying this lovely day.

Amber, where are you and how is Joey?

MM, afraid we'll never hear from you again and missing you....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I wonder if MM was injured more than she let on in her accident.  She had mentioned that the light of the screen bothered her eyes and gave her headaches.  Hope she is still able to look after her father - they were a very close family.  Think about her brother too, and hope he is out of harm's way.  I can't imagine that if she were able to get in and let us know everything was alright, she wouldn't.  Yes, she was a special contributor who can't be replaced.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Just came in from running errands. It is gorgeous out. Just in case anyone is interested. Kanes is selling their hanging Guinea Patients (sp?) for $13. They were $19.99. Picked up two. Wanted a couple more, but I had no room in my trunk. Later on that. I am not going to hang them, but I will cut off the hanging part and stick them in containers, I already have. I do that every year instead of planting the containers. This way it is easy to change the plants, should they not do well. Plus I can do Spring/Summer/Fall.
    We ran out of bird seeds this morning. And now, that the cardinals finally have decided to feed at the feeder, we can't let that happen. So being at Costco, I picked up a bag of bird seeds. Well, I really didn't pick them up; I got help. I wasn't going to do it, but wait for DH to come w/ me tmw. But 2 other ladies were trying to pick up bags, so I decided, I could probably do that too. Actually, I thought one of them was you, tt - she has an orangy Vera Vang bag and purplish glasses, but when I started to chat w/ her, I realized it wasn't you. She didn't have a kitty. LOL
    So the 3 of us helped each other to each get a bag. What a sight that must have been. Then out to the car. When I opened the trunk, I heard a voice behind me, "Please let me help you, Lady". Just some teenager passing by. Apparently you still find nice kids around. I chatted w/ him for a few minutes. He just graduated from the HS our boys went to and is going to the same college for his BS in PA, our son got his BS from. He eventually wants to study Robotics. Does that ring a bell??? Such a small world. He is looking for a summer job, so I gave him our office number to call and set up an interview w/ DH. Such a nice kid.
    That was my exciting afternoon.

I miss mm too. I do recall to hear in the news, that a pedestrian had been run over at Copley Square. Who ever thought it would be one of us. I too hope she is doing ok.  tt, I believe it was her son and not her brother, that was overseas in one of the dangerous places. Hope he is still safe. I just wish we would hear from her, that she as well as her father are well. Such a nice and classic lady.

Now putting groceries away and start dinner. Have a good evening everyone.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Pingo, how kind of you to return the favor for that boy by opening the door for an interview.  Even if just for info purposes, you may be setting him off on his future path! 

Poor MM.  Do you think she was the pedestrian? Don't remember hearing about it, but I don't catch the news too often since baby girl except to get the weather in the AM.

Wishing you all a lovely weekend.  DH is working up at Lake Win, so I'm contemplating a trip up to meet him. If its going to be nice I can baby girl to the beach until he's done, then maybe the ILs will babysit and we can sneak in a date.  We'll see.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Happy Friday night everyone :-)

Hat..thank you for the postive thoughts. I am a lot calmer than I was earlier in the week...but will always worry. There have been a lot of reassurances from the various Dr.'s we have seen this week that things are not as hopeless as I imagined they were a week ago...so there's that.

TT...I hope you never feel self conscious about your posts. I enjoy reading them so much. Too funny that so many have been seeing cardinals and their babies this past week. Our cardinal family has come back several times this week, usually around this time or a bit earlier. The kid is coming to mow the grass tomorrow though..so I wonder if they will keep coming after today. DS was outside grilling chicken for our dinner earlier so I don't think we will see them today..unless they come a little later.

I for one am so glad it's Friday. On top of all the added appointments and worry over DH..this was also a very busy week for me  both in my day job ( preparing for our state audit) and my fledgling side business.  Anyhow..I am so looking forward to sleeping in a little later tomorrow morning. Also looking forward to having no plans..

Hope everyone is enjoying the day :-)

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hear the lawn mower going on the corner house - my guys never showed up.  Second time he has missed me.  Excuse the first time was, "It was raining."  Waited until around 4:00 then gave my son a call, since he is the one who hired him (a friend of theirs whose children go to school with GD and GS).  My son never gave me his tel Number and so will let him handle it.  He said he would call him then, so I'm hoping tomorrow (?) I may hear the happy hum of the mower.  Don't know about the mulch, at this point, they'd really be sprinkling it between flowers and weeds.  Miss having G.T. doing my weeding, but since his sciatica problem a couple of months ago, he's really careful.  It will drive him crazy next time he comes down and sees it all so overgrown.  It's like going to a hairdresser - you think your hair (yard) looks OK, until you (yard) gets the haircut, and then you think, "Wow, it looks soo much better."

Heat and humidity are both supposed to be on the rise this week-end.  That's not the kind of weather for me.  Days like today, on the other hand, are perfect.

Pingo, you had pretty much the same scenario with a young man helping you load stuff into the car trunk before at Costco.  I've never had the experience, but then, I guess I don't need much help loading my bag of prescriptions in!  lol

Glad you are feeling a little better, more optomistic about your husband's condition, miscricket.  Sometimes the initial shock of what we're hearing throws us into a tailspin.  Passage of a little time lets us absorb the possibilities of treatment that are truly present. Oh, and thanks for the kind words about enjoying my posts.  That's good to know.

Probably will be shutting off the computer for the night in another half hour or so.  If we don't chat, hope everyone has a great week-end.  Hope Kargiver is enjoying her inlaws.  They've certainly had great weather for picking things out of the garden and walking with Gracie.

P.S.  Novem, just scanned back and see you may be going to Lake Winnie?  Oh, can I please hitch a ride with you?  Haven't been up there in 3 maybe 4 years, and we used to vacation there every year for a few days at least.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt