June 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: June 2013

Those legs are just what I have in mind.  Much as I like, even the chairs that go with - can't use cream.  My kitchen is black wallpaper print and white wainscoating.  Appliances are white.  Cream would just not go, pretty as the set is.  And the black version of the set has the wrong wood finish top - my cabinets are solid oak.  G.T. did not come up with anything, even after a day antiquing the strip in RI.  But today being a rainy day, and the last day of their vacation, I'm sure they are out looking somewhere.  Who knows?  Thanks for the thought.

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hats, washes are what I should have done/be doing.  Made a batch of the whoopies and even tho I used less batter with each scoop, they spread out to about the usual size.  I usually get 15 out of a batch, and I think there will be 17.  Am going to make another batch this afternoon and then tomorrow fill them all.  Bought 2 big round platters and if they look skimpy, I'll do yet another batch tomorrow.  There will be about 50, I'm guessing at the cook-out.  DIL comes from a large family.

Hate to confess it, but I did put the heat on this morning for a run through.  Was down to 62 in here and damp, and I couldn't get warm.  Froze last night under the tent. I hadn't brought, well, didn't have, a summer jacket.  I'm a zipper down the front - hoodie - girl, not quite the look I was aiming for.  Speaking of which, G.T. emailed me a pic partner took of he and I at Bearskin point yesterday, new pocketbook, new sunglasses I had just bought - all I needed was an orange gaucho hat!  (Did see one in one of the stores!)

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

Those legs are just what I have in mind.  Much as I like, even the chairs that go with - can't use cream.  My kitchen is black wallpaper print and white wainscoating.  Appliances are white.  Cream would just not go, pretty as the set is.  And the black version of the set has the wrong wood finish top - my cabinets are solid oak.  G.T. did not come up with anything, even after a day antiquing the strip in RI.  But today being a rainy day, and the last day of their vacation, I'm sure they are out looking somewhere.  Who knows?  Thanks for the thought.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

The farm style table that you describe is an antique or at least vintage.

So a decent reproduction would be off-white/cream colored as things that are painted white change color as they age.    It would look phony otherwise imo.

That being said, you can always buy a can of paint and make any changes you want, once you find the table you like.

PS: Now I'm thinking of getting a nice vintage kitchen table, I've got to stay out of the consignment stores (for now)!

Avatar from "The Art of Catherine Darling Hostetter" 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT, I would like to be baking for the warmth but I have instituted a strict no snacks except for fruit policy here.  And we are going out to dinner, so no excuse at all.  It's not so much that I am cold, no, just the instinct for warmth.

Fleece is what I like; got up at 2:30 last night and was cold, so I put on this extremely light weight fleece jacket that I love,  and when I finally got back to sleep at 4, after reading, I slept until almost 8! 

The Red Sox game tonight has been cancelled.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I tried on a beautiful light weight raspberry fleece jacket that I loved in Rockport. But, they only had it in a medium.  Yes, it fit, but not with the fullness it was designed to have.

Just finished the second batch of whoopies and oh, I don't know why they don't all look alike, cake-like.  This batch I added an extra tbsp of flour, because the ones this morning were a little sticky and flatter than I like.  Keep comparing the two batches, asking myself if I want to make yet a third.  I don't.  I'll fill them first thing in the morning and if I'm still disatisfied with the looks of the first batch, then will whip up another.  I'm sure the taste will be fine.  How fussy will kids be anyway?

Took out a serving of eggplant for supper, and a  hamburger, but may way until tomorrow to cook the hamberger.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Robin, can't think of repainting legs on a new kitchen set, table and chairs.  I'm past that stage.  I'm not looking for an actual antique, or reproduction, just a "style" I like.  Who knows what I will eventually end up with.  Haven't even actually looked in stores myself as yet.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Such a miserable day out, and it is going to be worse overnight. My oil change appointment was a bust. I brought the car in to the dealer all right. You drive right in and line up in their service dept. After getting my keys and looking up the paper info, the guy went to get the odometer and computer readings. Came back to tell me,"You don't need an oil change!". Imagine that? Normally when you take your car for service, they usually find more items to be fixed. I was one big question. He explained the filter was only 70% dirty, I have to wait until it is 85% dirty."That's the way the car is designed". Then he complimented me on my driving.  Well, I was due for a new sticker, so he did that for me.
    Then DH called and wanted to me to come to the office to cut a couple of checks and have lunch. Had a juicy hamburger at 5 Guys in Stoneham. Hamburgers doesn't happen too often for us, so this one was exceptionally nice. DH had the works, but I had only sauteed mushrooms and onions w/ mine. Delicious. And we didn't have their fries. Have to watch the calories after all. LOL
    I was planning to go up to Costco. Have to pick up some meds. But with this rain and the wind picking up, I postponed it. Their parking lot is so windy even on a calm day.
    Was planning for meatloaf tonight. The muffin cup meat loaves. But w/ the hamburgers for lunch, I don't think so. Soup and a salad sounds good to me. Will still make the meat loaves and freeze them for some other time.

Thank you November for your input re "Spice" - we love Thai food. Will definitely give it a try. Sorry about baby's mishap. Good you don't feel it is your fault. Things happens with children unexpectedly. I was giving our son a bath in the bath tub, as I had done hundreds of times. For some unknown reason he slipped out of my grip and hit his eyebrow on the tub. Oh my, talking about a "red sea". Frightening, but it looked worse than it was. He needed stitches, and Dr. Timothy Johnson (Channel 5) stitched him up. He was at the time working at the Emergency Dept. at Union Hospital in Lynn.
    Have to put away groceries. Have a good evening everyone.

ps. tt, what is a "passa"?

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

pacifier

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo, I think TT was using 'passa' as shortcut for pacifier.  Yes indeed, when our little ones are hurt we blame ourselves way too much, but we just must do our best.  No child can be protected from everything. 

In fact, now that children never fall down constantly and have permanent scabs as we used to have, take risks on playgrounds, get sick, some authorities think that the rise in self-harm, tatoos, piercing, etc, is because children have not endured the character building that pain offers, and they are seeking that very human experience.  We need to balance protection with allowing them to develop their independence.  Something to think about.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to pingo's comment:

Such a miserable day out, and it is going to be worse overnight. My oil change appointment was a bust. I brought the car in to the dealer all right. You drive right in and line up in their service dept. After getting my keys and looking up the paper info, the guy went to get the odometer and computer readings. Came back to tell me,"You don't need an oil change!". Imagine that? Normally when you take your car for service, they usually find more items to be fixed. I was one big question. He explained the filter was only 70% dirty, I have to wait until it is 85% dirty."That's the way the car is designed". Then he complimented me on my driving.  Well, I was due for a new sticker, so he did that for me.
    Then DH called and wanted to me to come to the office to cut a couple of checks and have lunch. Had a juicy hamburger at 5 Guys in Stoneham. Hamburgers doesn't happen too often for us, so this one was exceptionally nice. DH had the works, but I had only sauteed mushrooms and onions w/ mine. Delicious. And we didn't have their fries. Have to watch the calories after all. LOL
    I was planning to go up to Costco. Have to pick up some meds. But with this rain and the wind picking up, I postponed it. Their parking lot is so windy even on a calm day.
    Was planning for meatloaf tonight. The muffin cup meat loaves. But w/ the hamburgers for lunch, I don't think so. Soup and a salad sounds good to me. Will still make the meat loaves and freeze them for some other time.

Thank you November for your input re "Spice" - we love Thai food. Will definitely give it a try. Sorry about baby's mishap. Good you don't feel it is your fault. Things happens with children unexpectedly. I was giving our son a bath in the bath tub, as I had done hundreds of times. For some unknown reason he slipped out of my grip and hit his eyebrow on the tub. Oh my, talking about a "red sea". Frightening, but it looked worse than it was. He needed stitches, and Dr. Timothy Johnson (Channel 5) stitched him up. He was at the time working at the Emergency Dept. at Union Hospital in Lynn.
    Have to put away groceries. Have a good evening everyone.

ps. tt, what is a "passa"?

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Pingo..that was a nice experience you had at the dealership. I agree that they usually come back with a list of things to fix. I have actually never taken my car to the dealer unless it's for a recall or something like that. I have been using the same mechanic for over 20 years and trust him completely.

I've been to that 5 Guys in Stoneham. The fries are definitely off limits for me..but the burgers are good...nice and juicy! I haven't been down that way in a while. Since we moved we are closer to the Peabody location...although there they seem to be springing up all over the North Shore..lol

It's really awful out there. When I stepped out of work..I couldn't believe how cold it was! Good night to stay in which is exactly what I plan to do.

November- sorry to hear about your little one's mishap! No doubt this is only the beginning. My son went through many little injuries like this as a child..it's always hard to think of your little one in pain...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Now, dying for a 5 Guys burger!  Glad you enjoyed it as a special treat, Pingo.  Nice re the car, too!

walked Gracie 3 miles in the pouring rain.  Saw lots of splattered frogs and salamanders on the road, so sad!

this dress just came in the mail, and I think I'll never need a warm weather dress, again!!  I'm full up.

ETA: the copied photo from the website didnt post, and I don't dare photo my own photo...sorry.  It's a Nicole Miller style number BG0760, but it wasn't $290, it was 1/3rd of that on Rue La La.  Nicest dress short of my wedding gown I've ever had on.  It's bright pink/fuscia...can't find that color online, now, though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

Good evening ladies, 

Took DD and DS into the office today to have lunch with my friend. It was a lousy drive to Cambridge this morning but we could use the HOV lane so we didn't have to sit in traffic. Coming home was a different story it took us more than 2 hours. At one point they were saying it was taking 55 minutes from Braintree to Hingham thankfully it was wrong.  We probably stayed a little too long but left too early for the HOV lane.  Oh well, everyone but mom got a great nap.

We got Chinese for dinner and we're all in our jammies for the game tonight. Two more days until my maternity leave is over. I can't believe how fast it went.  Luckily I get to work from home until the end of the month. I should really get up and clean up the kitchen, but it will wait until tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a great night! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, saw!  You can take your kids to work?  Cool!  That's great you can ease back from maternity by working from home for 3 weeks.  How long have you had off?  It must seem like it's never enough!

I basically just put the food away and collect the messy stuff in the sink after dinner and do the real cleanup in the morning. we'd rather relax together before bed than have me out in the kitchen.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Strange, when I first clicked in this morning, the last post was yours, Kargiver, about trying to post a pic of the dress you bought.  There was no posting box below, just a series of about 8 report abuse orange circles.  Clicked around a couple of times and then they were gone.

Slept good last night, guess between the day before's kalooping, and yesterday's all day baking, I was tired.  Was conscious a few times of the heavy rain during the night.  Glad we got it out of the way and will have today to dry things outside.  What's up for everyone else's plans this week-end?

Princess, how is your mother?  Has she had the surgery yet?  I can't imagine facing that many operations.

Tulips, how are you doing?

I'll check in later after everyone's had a chance to get up.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

My friend's daughter escaped the Santa Monica gunman by jumping off a stairwell, with him in pursuit.  Please pray for the four who did not escape.  Truly, the world has gone mad.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning,

tt, I have seen that error before, too, and it goes away when I reload the page (or at least it has so far).  Odd stuff.

Glad someone slept last night - we didn't!  Gracie is being treated for roundworm, and the parasite killer makes her utterly ravenous.  I don't mean her regular Flabrador self, I mean wake up in the night starving.  Of course, I can't let her think that if she cries at 2 AM it is then feeding time, so I took her out to use the restroom, which she did, and then put her back to bed.  Of course, she cried and cried.  It was both heartwrenching and selfishly terrible.  It was 3:30 before we all went back to sleep.  Then, she was up at 5:00, you guessed it, hungry.  We have one more day of this, then back to normal, hopefully worm free.  Ugh.  The issues one takes on when you have a pet!

Hats, we haven't turned on the news...but, even so, I can agree that the world HAS gone mad, and we will find out and pray with you.  Good news for your friend's daughter that she escaped harm.

Family party today in Northbridge.  I so wish she had postponed it.  Oh, well, it will get it out of the way so I don't have to stress about it anymore.  And, I get to wear my dress.  It's the little things, you know.

Have a great day, everyone.  It's brightening here - hope it is where you are, too.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Good morning everyone! I actually slept in this morning..til almost 8 which is really late for me. This is the first absolutely free Saturday that I have had in weeks so I am considering going yard saling. I am not sure how many yard sales I will come across..but the rain has stopped here so there might be a few. If not, I will go visit the ladies at the consignment shop. TT..if I hit up any shops or estate sales..I'll keep an eye out for a table..lol

Hats..so sorry to hear about your friends daughter. That must have been so scary for her..but thankfully she is okay. Sad to hear about the others though. Wow..what is wrong with this world? Another senseless shooting. We should demand better for our world..but that is a topic for another forum I suppose.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hats, just read your post and googled the computer news to read of the shootings.  Your friend's dau must have been in the library where thankfully he did not hit anyone.  Others were not so lucky.  So sorry.  It's terrible  but even worse, when things hit so close to home with people we know.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yes, Miscricket, by all means keep your eyes open for "my table"!  lol  Good luck with your yard saling.  Haven't done that in quite a while - I always manage to find something that at that moment I think is the greatest thing ever!

P.S.  Whoopie pies, all 36 of them are filled, in containers until tomorrow when I'll fancily plate them.  (AND, I didn't even sneak one - good girl.)

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, more horrifying news...and, again, it hits us personally here in the Chat.  Unbelievable.

miscricket, thank goodness, DH let me sleep in 'til 8 this morning, too, after the horrible night we had. I'd literally have been sick enough to miss the party (which would have had its pros) if he hadn't as a lack of sleep is a huge migraine trigger for me, and thanks to Gracie's issues...  Have fun tooling around looking for sales - my grandmother and I used to do that - fabulous memories.

tt, wish I could take a plate of your whoopie pies to the party...I lazed out and am taking a jar of tomato pickles I put up last year and that'll be something, anyway.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good late morning almost afternoon,
    Friends called last night (yes, those friends from CT) that they would stop by so say "hello" this morning, on their way back from NH. Translate: we will there for breakfast, and you better have something good.
    Not having time to plan it, I made banana muffins with bananas that was due, scrambled eggs and fruit. Blueberries, strawberries and half a leftover honey dew melon. Then of course coffee. I didn't get to TJ's yesterday, so we were out of OJ, but I had cranberry juice for the kids, which one of them had a fit over. "I want OJ."
    Just cleaned up the kitchen. Going to Ikea this afternoon. Have to stock up on candles. On our way we are going to stop at one of our work sites. Good the rain has stopped. Not minding the ride. Need to get rid of my frustration. I keep asking myself, " Why are we keeping this friendship?" It keeps being a one way street.
    Hope your morning was a lot better than mine.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hats, Sorry about your friend's daughter. TG she escaped, but what a horrible experience. That will stay w/ her forever. What is this world coming to?

- Eleanor Roosevelt

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, what a stressful morning.  I'd consider telling them next time that you already have plans...totally true no matter WHAT that plan is.  You put on an amazing spur of the moment spread.  Another way to discourage them would be to serve cereal and that's it - tell them you hope they grabbed coffee on the way if they want any because you're out.

back to getting ready to be gone this afternoon...sigh.  Obligations, obligations.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pingo, I think a lovely 2 day trip would be for you and DH to drive through CT., phoning those friends and saying, "We are just driving back from a stay over, will stop by for a hello" (at breakfast, or lunch or dinner, whichever suits you).  You might be surprised, they might be very glad to have a chance to reciprocate, OR, they might get the message and not pull any more surprise stop in visits to you.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo, life is too short to put up with that.  Next time tell them to stop at McDonalds.  That's what kids appreciate these days.

Sections
Shortcuts