June 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

June 2014

What is so rare as a day in June?

Then if ever come perfect days....

And it seems that the poet is right if only about today!  June is busting out all over.  My living room is filled with the scent of lilac which gets heavier as the sun reaches the bushes.  The sky is blue, my potted plants are happy on the back deck...June!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: June 2014

Good morning and happy June!

Hats, you are right. A perfect day today. DH and I just got back in after breakfast on our deck. Still cool out, but we wore our fleeces. Wish I had Lilacs like you. Love them.

We took the birdfeeder down yesterday, and replaced it with a hanging plant. The squirrels were making an awful mess, and considered the feeder as their own, private restaurant. The birds are already missing it, but there are plenty for them to eat in our yard during the summer months. Come winter, we will hang it up again.

Stopped by Best Buy yesterday, and MADE them come and pick up the old ref/freezer. It wasn't easy, it took override after override. But DH was firm, and told them, we would cancel the payment w/ Amex, and they could come and take the new one back. They will be here Thursday.

Kar, hope your cook out yesterday was stellar. Couldn't ask for better weather. Little cool maybe, but preferable to heat.

How did the soccer games go, Winter?

Everyone enjoy the Sunday.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo, glad you got BB to live up to their contract.

I just took some steaks out to defrost so I can grill tonight!  Steak, salad and bread - yum!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I guess we will have Striped Bass tonight. One of our employees went fishing this morning, and stopped by with a 3 foot fish and gave me a good size piece. Yum!

Today is the first of the month, so I just spent a couple of hours fertilizing all my indoor plants . Next time will be on the 15th. This is my Summer schedule. In the Winter, it is just once a month.

Note. I bought the Organic Miracle-grow a few months back. I is wonderful. It comes in a bottle and very  easy to use.1/2 teaspoon to about 6 cups of water. And my plants really like it. DH just filled the water can and is taking care of the annuals outside. 

Sat outside and had a beer and leftover pizza for lunch. It s gorgeous out. A real old fashioned summer day. Hard to get back inside. But i have a few more chores to do. Then I will pick up PP's Christmas stocking, go back outside and start on that.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Shoot, I did it again, posted in last month's!

From May: 

Had a fantastic time at the party. Did, in fact, go whole hog and ate the slab of cake I was served. So good! The lemon chicken breasts were amazing, too - pounded to about 1.5" thick (nice and uniform) bone in - and grilled to smokey, juicy, lemony perfection.

Working it off today - DH and I spread 5 yards of mulch today around the day lilies along the rock retaining wall of the front yard and the two flower beds in the front of the house. Phew!!

Whats everyone up to?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

DH just went crazy and bought a new bed.  Memory foam, platform, and adjustable head and foot!  He does not tolerate pain at all....I bought a new pair of sunglasses. 

ETA I guess TT is gone forever.  I thought that perhaps with the new month she'd be back.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

New bed, sounds great! Congratulations! Not too often I hear my friends buying a new bed. Mattress yes, but not an entire bed. When will it arrive? Hope it is as comfortable as you hope it will be.

Our shopping spree today was buying 35 gallons of paint for the house. Yea, I know - exciting. And I picked up 8 more Guinea Inpatients. Want to fill out the front a bit more.

Now waiting for DH to come home picking something up at the office. It is still nice to eat outside. The Bass smells wonderful. Just like fresh fish should. I baked it in foil w/ a lot of garlic, lemon slices and Thyme. I am serving roasted zucchini to go with it. And I am making my remoulade.

Sounds like you and DH had a busy day, Kar. But I can imagine your yard must look beautiful now. We bought some weed barrier fabric, the guys will cut and install tmw. Then we will mulch everything. I am happy, you enjoyed the food at SIL's party. Once in a while it is ok to go overboard. Now you know, how you can get rid of it again. It is nice to have that freedom to do it every so often. Before i lost all my weight, I was always picking. Now I don't care, as long as it doesn't happen too often.

Yes, Hats, it looks like we have lost tt forever. I also thought we would hear from her today. I have known her for 9 plus years, and I do miss her. She once mentioned, she was involved with another another site. Maybe they are more interesting than we are. LOL Bless her heart!

- Eleanor Roosevelt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I really do not know what came over DH but hey it's going to be fun;  a lot of work is in store moving out the old beds and moving in the new.

Our steak was delicious - it was some 'petite sirloin' that I had bought on special at MB for 3.99/lb.  DH will have it for lunch tomorrow on a bagel sandwich.  I did not realize we had no lettuce left so we had rice pilaf instead.  Yummy!  Happy Summer!

I love that weed barrier fabric.  My daisies and irises are about to pop.  The peonies are doing nicely too.  I enjoy plants and flowers so much!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Enjoy the latest tempurpedic, hats!!  Congrats, and I hope it alleviates all your and DH's pains.  What kind of sunglasses?  

Pingo, great job revamping your relationship with food; I've done the same.  I logged a whopping 3000 yesterday.  But, the cleanse gave me more than that for a cushion so no problem!

Having what has become a new favorite (slowly but surely), tempeh for dinner.  And, a beer!  Woo hoo!!

I hope tt is well.  Maybe she intended to return today...I hope she is able if she wants.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

The kind of sunglasses that go over my glasses.  I hate having to switch pairs.  I don't wear contacts - had a bad experience with an infection and gave them up long ago.

ETA I made some lovely sangria last night and finished it up today.  A 15 oz can of peach slices, a can of Goya peach nectar, 1/2 bottle of white wine, 3 jiggers of Cointreau, a handful of raspberries.  Let macerate a couple of hours.  Add ice and club soda to taste.  Yummy!  There's still some of the marinated fruit - will have it for lunch.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, those are nice.  I know what you mean; I have prescription sunglasses.

I'll have to remember that fabulous sounding recipe when our peaches come!  Sounds like a drink for company.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Yes, I had made an apricot version for company last weekend and had to use up the left over 1/2 bottle of wine.  That time I used apricot brandy and nectar; not as good as the peach.

Today is supposed to be hot.  I'm going to wear shorts!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Not sure of the reason, but I can't post with my iPad anymore. :( I too miss tt and Cheerio. Pingo, what a funny dream you had. Glad Princess is her old self again. When are you flying out to see her again? DS lost his soccer game on Saturday. He has to miss the game Sautrday, since it's the carwash. Hats, good luck with the new mattress. The Sangria sounds good, I may have to try it out in a few weeks as we are having a class pool party, if we can get the pool finished.                                 

----------------------------------------------------------
    I find your lack of faith disturbing

- Darth Vadar

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Class pool party?  That sounds like fun.  Hope you can get it ready in time.

I took out some chicken to grill tonight to put on salad.  Now must run to the store to get the lettuce.  We are just about out of fresh produce here - one clementine, 1/2 tomato and 2 bruised apples, plus some carrots and celery.  Monday, Monday...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,

Your peach sangria sounds lovely, Hats. Will have to try to remember that. Is there a recipe? Maybe you could post it in the recipe section sometime. Our peonies is just about to burst. Unfortunately, they all come at the same time. Then one heavy shover, and they are all gone. Love my plants too, Hats.
    When will your new bed arrive? Doesn't the store set up your new bed and haul the old one away?

Pool party sounds like fun, Winter. Good start on the summer. Sorry DS soccer team lost. But the season just
    started.

The Bass last night, was fantastic. You could taste the ocean all the way. Have another portion for tonight.

Have a good day. Chat later.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

It should be fun, hopefully the water gets nice and clear. Right now it's checmically right, the filter just needs to do it's thing. We are leaving it on over night now, so it's only a matter of time. Good luck at the supermarket.

- Darth Vadar

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo the season started in April, they have two games left. :)

- Darth Vadar

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yay for shorts weather!  And, you can sport your new sunglasses, too, hats. :)

Winter, I was just thinking of pool party season while we were sitting by the yet still covered, of course, pool at SIL's.  Can't wait!  I hope the weather will be nice and the pool open while DH is away.  He wouldn't miss that activity, lol.

Bass is one of my favorites, Pingo, delightful texture and light flavor.  I'm sure it was marvelous.

I've got sprouted spelt crackers with dulse for seasoning in the oven.  Can't imagine how much they'd cost in a specialty store, and I want something crunchy and tasty that's actually healthy.  Got to make it myself if that's going to happen.

yard looks stellar post-hemlock mulching.  Wishing we could post photos.  Got a great one of DH moving the greenhouse with the tractor yesterday.

great day, everyone

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Made guac with the hot version of Frontera mix and scooped it with the fresh crackers.  Yummmmy!!!  They have a mild guac mix, too.  I highly recommend - look for the pouches in the produce section with the avocados.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks for that hint, Kar. I have a couple of avocados, I need to use. I have never used a mix. Usually make my own, but if it is good (and I take your word for it), a mix will come in handy.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In response to pingo's comment:

Thanks for that hint, Kar. I have a couple of avocados, I need to use. I have never used a mix. Usually make my own, but if it is good (and I take your word for it), a mix will come in handy.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

[object HTMLDivElement]

It's a wet mix in a pouch, and the hot is really hot. I am sure the mild is delicious, too. It calls for two avocados, but mine were small so I used 3.  EXCELLENT, I have no doubt you'll love it, too.  I had always made my own - this is far better than any I've made myself!  And, good ingredients like I'd choose.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, if you ever want to start up your kefir, again, send me your info to my kargiverbdc email, and I'll send you some cultures.  I have it coming out my ears since switching to raw milk.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Yes, Pingo, they would take the old mattress/spring if we wanted, but we are actually moving it (it's a nice wooden Shaker-style bed from Ethan Allen) to the second bedroom, and moving the daybed that is there to the downstairs.  So lots to be done.

As for the peach sangria, what I posted is the recipe!  But I could cut and paste for traffic's sake...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Regarding migraine triggers:

"Soybeans contain tyramine, a natural headache trigger, so all soy products have some headache potential. As soy is processed in the manufacture of certain products, and soy protein is thereby broken down (hydrolyzed) into its constituent amino acids, glutamate is released, and monosodium glutamate (MSG) — a potent migraine trigger — is formed.

Soy products that are more highly processed (fermented, cultured) such as miso and tempeh — and "soy protein isolate/concentrate" in protein supplements and energy bars — are potentially stronger triggers than those at the less-processed end of the spectrum, but even soy milk and tofu can be culprits for some people.

Drinking soy milk every day but not having a headache every day does not mean that soy milk is not a contributing factor. Whether a headache occurs relates to your total trigger load on a given day, which in turn depends on fluctuating levels of a multitude of other, nondietary triggers, most of which are far less avoidable than what you choose to eat and drink."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5381403

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Made up a recipe for mushroom bisque that I'll definitely make again and again...we have a winner!