June Chat 2010!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

June Chat 2010!

Good morning friends,
    I have not forgotten about you, but I have been very, very busy.
    Welcome back Princess - hope you are doing well and that your absence was not due to health problems.
    Welcome to the Chat yellow rose. Nice to see new chatters and glad you are enjoying our chatting, which sometimes can be a bit boring. Many things are going on in our lives, and we share. Right now it is so exciting with Kargiver's bee adventure.
    tt, I love your Orange recipe. Will make it next time I have dinner company. Which will be as soon as we get back from Alaska. I enjoyed the story about your chipmunk. Good the panther in in clay - or he would be here no more (the chipmunk, that is).
    Kar, your bee post is so exciting. Hope your DH got away with just one sting. Please, please show us more. And what lovely bird pictures. Mr. Kar is definitely a pro.
    Son just left for PB. Princess and yellowrose, that is Pittsburgh. We use a lot of abbreviations on our threads. Have to go and make breakfast for my large "family".
    Chat later - Pingo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: June Chat 2010!

Pingo, you must be cleaning up and resting from your company.  Thanks for starting us off this month and for the kind words, as always.

I added pictures to the bee site of DH removing the little box that contained the queen.  The workers at the marshmallow out and freed her and themselves.  Neat!  Actually, he just thought he got stung that first day, but it was just a little warning, I guess, thankfully.

Yellow Rose, hope you'll stay with us now that you're up and about. 

Princess, yes, of course we are all hoping the best for your health. 

Everyone, thanks for sharing our adventures with me. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning everyone,
    Guests just left for the day to go shopping at the outlet stores in Wrentham. A little breather for me. Catching up on laundry. Don't understand, how these two can create this much laundry.
    I want to tell you about Bristol, RI. We saw a segment on Chronicle and thought it would be a good idea to take our guests there instead of the usual Rockport or Gloucester. At least it would be something different for us.
    After a heavy brunch Sunday - we took off. Bristol is a lovely quaint sea town - about an hour and 15 minutes ride from here. Easy ride down Rt. 24. Beautiful early American settlement. Now many Portuguese. We stopped for coffee and yummy pastry at a small Cafe overlooking the ocean, as soon as we arrived. A friend had recommended (and with much glee), that we could not leave w/o buying a loaf of their Portuguese Sweet Bread. So off we went to look for a bakery. Bought 3 - including one for my friend. Toasted they are absolutely delicious.
    After walking around a bit taking in the lovely homes and views, we stopped at an Ocean Tavern right on the ocean for a cold drink. It was quite hot Sunday, so we needed it. The breeze from the ocean was so refreshing. Some more walking - and then on our way home. Bristol is definitely worth a visit. But I am sure come real summer, it must be very crowded.
    I had gotten up at 5 in the morning to prepare dinner. I made Kar's stuffed peppers. But this time I used the Anaheims. What a difference in taste. Much better than the regular peppers, I used last week. I also used black refried beans.
    Our son had some work to do, so he didn't come to Bristol w/ us. I called him up on our way home and asked him to stick the dish in the oven. By the time we got home, dinner was ready. All I did was to sprinkle some cheese on top and put it under the broiler. I served it with couscous salad (also prepared in the morning). Both were a big hit. Thank you Kar!
    Monday we had a bunch of common friends over for a cook out. Grilled corn, hamburgers, (Tofu burgers for the veggies), Boston Baked Beans made from scratch by me and cut up Watermelon for dessert.
    Boy was I tired yesterday. Even though our guests went to Boston and Cambridge, I couldn't get myself going. My entire body was achy and tired. Friends had invited us out for dinner last night, so at least I didn't have to cook.
    Tonight we are going someplace else, so after my last load of laundry is in, I will be going to the office.
    Hope you all are doing well. Just amazing how nice the weather has been recently.
    Best - Pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, thanks for the lovely description of Bristol; I've never been.  Glad you got to experience it before the nutty summer crowds.  I LOVE Portuguese sweet bread (I'm 1/4 Portuguese, actually).  So happy you enjoy the peppers so much!  The Anaheims really do make it, I agree, even though they are smaller and you need quite a few to use up all the filling.  You will need a nice, long, quiet vacation when everyone goes home.

Just came back from lunch at the local diner.  I feel like I'm in a movie sometimes.

Gracie is outside with her boyfriend.  I have ice cold water for them which they love.  And, I'm sure to feed her when Dougal is around.  Suddenly, she eats like a lab should when he's a threat to her food.  If she loses interest before it's gone I say, "Dougal's gonna eat your dinner, Gracie," and she's right back to her bowl.  Isn't she funny?

Missing DH.  Got spoiled with a lovely 3 day weekend.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

---You will need a nice, long, quiet vacation when everyone goes home.---

Leaving for a week's Alaska Cruise Sunday. Yeah! The guests will be coming with us, but still ----

- Pingo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, yeah!!!  That's so great.  My aunt and uncle went on one and had a spectacular time. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Pingo,

Just want to get in quickly to wish you and yours a Bon Voyage before you leave for Alaska.  Anyone I know who has gone has said it was a wonderful experience.  You'll be busy the next couple of days, and so will I with a graduation on Saturday.  Safe journey, safe return.  We'll miss you.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just got back in after a quick run to S&S.  Asked the graduate what he would like me to bring to the cookout, and was floored when he said, "Well, it's not really graduation food, but I love your gingerbread men".  Looking at the molasses, wasn't sure there's enough in the bottle, so ran out to get some more and some frosting piping to pipe a grad hat and tassel on each gingerbread man.  Now, does anyone remember which side of the hat the graduate tosses the tassel to after the ceremony?  Is it left or right?  Don't want to make a tray of little guys undergraduates!

Thanks for the info about Bristol, Pingo.  It sounds like a good day trip.  P'town has a lot of year round Portuguese people, so have had their bread before, it is good.   You've done extremely well having company right up until your Alaskan trip.  Don't know that I would have done that, there's so much to do getting you and Mr. P. ready, and indoor and outdoor plants, etc.  You take on a lot.

Kargiver, the bees?  No incidences?  Send a pic of them in your clover, if you can, that should make a good one if a lot are there at once.  I've lured what crows are left in the area back, once a week at least.  Throw old breadstuff that has been in the freezer too long, up at the very back of my mowed yard.  They're quite polite sharers with each other, one comes and caws and caws and others answer from off in the woods and then come to eat.  Love my crows and am glad to have them back after they lost their tall trees that were cut down for the new piece of property that was built.

Again, Pingo, have a marvelous time, and rest while cruising, you deserve it.  Sit back and enjoy being the one waited on - for a change.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, got stung today, and so far so good.  I read that if you're going to have a bad reaction it happens in under 5 minutes, and it's been 30.  Yay!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I do think you would have had a reaction almost immediately.  Weren't you ever stung as a kid?  Our street had those tall hedges and I was forever getting stung as I walked by them.

I am on I can't remember what sheet of gingerbread men, and TIRED!  I just get one batch out and on a cooling rack when it seems another is ready, and then I'm rolling out more dough and raisin eying them and giving them belly buttons.  I know the hat icing and tassels will wait until tomorrow.  Glad I made these today.

Squirrels are digging up my impatients, chipmunk is back up sitting in the seed tray gouging himself.  Today's not the day to be aggravating me, animals!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I was stung once, but I've heard (not sure if it's true) that everyone gets one "free" sting.  Then, the allergy develops if it's going to, but I really don't know if that's true.

Glad you are doing the cookies over two days!  It's a big job to bake and equally as big to ice.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I seem to have gotten a lot (good thing) out of this batch of gingerbread.  I have 2 different cutters and this one has sort of a pointed hat, so thought that would be a good base to draw the grad hat.  Perhaps it's a little smaller all around.  Tomorrow I'll ice a hat and tassel and then tie each one in an individual clear bag with school color ribbons.  Bought some red napkins and shredded paper to line an aluminum pan with, and a big bright colored button that says, "Congratulations, Graduate" to prop up in the middle.  To me the preparation and presentation of something is the most fun.

Are you still feeling OK?  Are you home alone?  Always a little nerve wracking when you're not sure what the outcome of something will be, but I'm sure if you've had no reaction by now, you'll be fine.  Were you near the hive or just out on the patio?  How about Gracie?  Has she gotten stung yet? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, I hope you'll take photos of your creations.  I know all your hard work will be greatly appreciated.

I'm alive and well, thank you.  The sting hardly even hurts now.  I was crawling around on the ground looking for something and must have trapped the bee.  I got stung right above my knee.  Well, got that over with, and looks like I don't even have a remarkable local reaction.  DH won't even believe I WAS stung when he sees the mark...or very little red patch as the case may be.

Thanks for thinking of me; sorry I didn't respond right away.  I had gone right back outside.

~kar

P.S.  Gracie hasn't been stung; she seems to not notice them on the clover.  I'll get photos to post tomorrow.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Should have posted earlier, a remedy you probably already know, to make a paste of baking soda and water and cover the sting.  Takes the sting and redness out.  That's an oldie my mother used to use on me and I used in turn on my kids.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, tt, I'm sure it will come in handy all summer.  I'll be sure to do it if I get stung again.  This sting doesn't hurt anymore, though, it stopped after I iced it.  Couldn't have been too much of a sting.  I wonder now, if it really happened...it sure did throb and burn, and there was a bee right there....???

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Kar, sorry about your sting.  You are quite the brave soul with your undertaking!  Is Gracie jealous, lol.

Finally feeling strong enough to go visit Mom, so I'm off to Fla tomorrow.  I am really looking forward to seeing her.  Hope you all have a good weekend.

tt - It's fun to hear about gingerbread men in June!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Princess, glad to hear you're up to making the trip to Fla.  Hope your Mom is doing good.  It is rather humid for gingerbread, in that, they seem much softer to me than usual.  But, hey, the graduate gets what the graduate wants!  Remember one year for his birthday I asked what was his favorite thing to eat, thinking I could make it - turned out to be the Hostess mini white powdered donuts, 6paks that he would pick up on his way to school!  Guess what he got a bagful of?

Kargiver, what was your husband's reaction to the "sting"?  No bad after effects?

Pingo, know you are busy as all get out today, but hope you will stop in for a quick last few lines.  It's going to be awfully quiet around here without you.  How long will you be gone?  We'll all have to pitch in and keep the threads going, those with more going on in their lives than mine, particularly.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

G'morning!

Princess - so happy to hear you are feeling well and can go visit your mom.  Have a great trip!

tt, there was no reaction to be had.  The "sting" has all but disappeared save but a tiny bit of painless redness.  Very strange, but no complaints!  A mosquito does me way more damage than a honeybee.

It will indeed be quiet without Pingo!  We will miss you and be thinking of you on your exciting vacation.

We are regularly being visited by 3 humming birds, 2 female and 1 male ruby red throated...I think that's what DH said they are after looking them up.  The photo DH took was of the female (no red on neck).  They are very bold, flying right up to our faces and hanging in mid air to say hello.  Or, more likely, to say, "Get out of here, you're too near the feeder."  We finally found a model that does not collect rain water.  Looks pretty, too.  Our other fine feathered pigs, I mean friends, are going through seed like they're starving to death.  But, they do bring lots of beautiful color and song to the yard so it's fair.

Found a lovely watermelon from the good ol' USA yesterday, and is it ever sweet and juicy.  Much better than the tasteless, mealy ones from Mexico...no comparison.

Speaking of cookies, tt, I must get crackin' on some molasses one for a party tomorrow.  The humidity will do these soft, chewy cookies good.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hats and tassels are on, and now I'm air drying them hoping they will dry enough to be able to put into individual bags.  They look cute, nothing spectacular, certainly not professional, but cute.  When they've dried as much as they are going to, and I've arranged them in the tray(s), will take a pic.

When I picked up the tube frosting yesterday, went back to my original Kayem's seed, don't remember if it is songbird or ultra.  Seem to be more chickadees this morning, and the cardinal is back.  Saw a towee, but not actually at the feeder, the propagating sparrows were hogging both it and the rail below.

Time for lunch and Y&R (which by the way is getting very interesting).  Have a wash to do, and the floors and furniture could use a dry mop and dusting, but we'll see how the day goes.

Where are you, Pingo?  Surely you're going to pop in for a final "see you later"?!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Gingerbread Grads, all wrapped and ready -

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I am only mentioning this because I know you are concerned TT..The bunny nest is visible and the bunnies are in the yard. Honey almost watered them

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Glad your family of rabbits is still with you this year, Icer.  Would love to have them running around my backyard.

Waiting to see if graduation is called off - it's an outdoor ceremony, so even if the rain itself holds off, the grass and bleachers are soaking.  They moved it a few years ago, from Sunday's to Saturday's, the reasoning being that if the weather was inclement on Sat, they could just move it to Sunday.  Doesn't sound as tho that would work this week-end.

Last night was the first time I've ever been afraid of lightning.  It was so bright and constant that it lit up my bedroom.  Around 3:00 a.m. I moved out to sit on the l.r. couch, and the cat appeared from the spare bedroom to curl up on my lap.

Guess I'll go ahead and get dressed, and wait to see what the call is.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It was WILD last night, indeed!  So happy to not see evidence of hail when we got up this morning.

We have a two year old's birthday party/cookout this afternoon and are also watching the weather.  Like the graduation, they decided to have the party Saturday so we could have the rain date Sunday.  Sigh...  I'm baking the cookies I made the dough for yesterday now, anyway.  I hope we end up going, or DH and I will eat WAY too many cookies this weekend.

DH is out with Gracie, and I'm here to print off a gift certificate to Babies R Us.  Thought I'd check in and wish everyone a good weekend despite the weather.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dingdong41410. Show dingdong41410's posts

The new year approaching, click in. Let's facelift bar!
    ======http://www.clotheshops.us =====
    fr ee sh i pp ing

(jordan shoes) $32

(air max) $34
    ++++ http://www.clotheshops.us
    *`ˉ) *`ˉ)
    .?`ˉ .?`ˉ) .?*`ˉ)
    (_.?` (_.? . ..?`
    . . . . . . .(_.?*`ˉ`*?.- />

===== http://www.clotheshops.us ====
    jordan air max oakland raiders $34--39; www.etradinglife.com
    Ed Hardy AF JUICY POLO Bikini $25;
    Christan Audigier BIKINI JACKET $25;
    gstar coogi evisu true jeans $35;
    Christan Audigier BIKINI JACKET $25;
    gstar coogi evisu true jeans $35;
    coach chanel gucci LV handbags $36;
    coogi DG edhardy gucci t-shirts $18;
    CA edhardy vests.paul smith shoes $32;
    jordan dunk af1 max gucci shoes $37;
    EDhardy gucci ny New Era cap $16;
    accept paypal credit card

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dingdong41410. Show dingdong41410's posts

The new year approaching, click in. Let's facelift bar!
    ======http://www.clotheshops.us =====
    fr ee sh i pp ing

(jordan shoes) $32

(air max) $34
    ++++ http://www.clotheshops.us
    *`ˉ) *`ˉ)
    .?`ˉ .?`ˉ) .?*`ˉ)
    (_.?` (_.? . ..?`
    . . . . . . .(_.?*`ˉ`*?.- />

===== http://www.clotheshops.us ====
    jordan air max oakland raiders $34--39; www.etradinglife.com
    Ed Hardy AF JUICY POLO Bikini $25;