June Weekday Chats!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

June Weekday Chats!

Thought the poem thread was getting longer and longer. So, I decided to do a June thread. Usually my friend tt, is the one that take care of turning the calender,  but since she didn't - I decided to do it.
    Went to S & S this afternoon and they had posted signs in the meat section. S & S's beef if from Canada and USA. Nothing in the pork, chicken, lamb or turkey section. That makes me feel real safe? NOT.
    I picked up a bunch of leeks. Do you girls cook leeks?
    Everytime I check them out, I get a face. What are those???
    Those are leeks and one of my most desirable veggies and very low in calories. Do you girls cook them? They are like onions, but a lot sweeter. I use them a lot in soups. But I also cut them in two inch pieces, then in staves and sautee them with carrots also cut in staves. Just heavenly. We will have them tonight with a baked sweet potato and crebinettes (pork patties). Yeah!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: June Weekday Chats!

Hi Pingo,

Did you go to the St and Sh on Route 1?  Over their chicken counters are quite large signs (green, I think) that say all St and Sh chicken is from USA.  I did buy some last week, the large breasts with skin on and bones in were on sale.  Have a lot of flavor roasted.  Never cooked leeks.  With getting ready to go away Sat., you are doing good to be preparing full meals tonight and tomorrow - I think I'd be picking up some easy fast food.

My neighbor called tonight looking to do something tomorrow, so I invited her to come up to lunch (and cards) with my friend.  Decided on my chicken/kielbasa jambalaya for lunch - St and Sh had the kielbasa on sale today, buy 1 get 1 free. Don't know if I'll get a chance to wish you a safe trip tomorrow, so want to be sure to do it tonight.  Have a wonderful time and be safe.  We'll miss your posts.  Check in with us when you get back.  One of my sons called me from Niagara Falls today, so I could hear the Falls once again.  He was so funny.  Said the Bell Tower didn't play songs anymore, and while he was talking, it began playing one!  Many, many changes since I went years ago.  Marilyn Monroe's movie had inspired me to go at that time, and one of the men in the movie had worked at the Shredded Wheat Plant on the American Side of the Falls, which we made a point to drive by and take a picture of.  The factory is no more.  He knows I hate changes and said he was debating whether to show me the new pictures he was taking when he gets home, or pull out the old ones and say, "See, Ma, nothing's changed!"

Have a wonderful time.  We'll miss you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi pingo -

I like leeks in soup, too, and in a veggie dip, but I never think of eating them in a saute or by themselves.  I'll have to try them in a stir fry.

Safe travels.  Come back with stories to regale us.

mothermitzi

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

I made a nice potato-leek soup yesterday. Like Pingo, I also like them sauteed, which I do with shallots, garlic cloves, black olives and some Romano cheese, a delicious side dish, or a dish on its own. Leeks are filled with all the good vitamins, and have lots of fiber. There is no reason people should look askance at leeks. Also, Shakespeare praised them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

No tt, I use the new S&S in Reading. I used to use the one on Rt. 1, but I like this one better. Cleaner, I think. I just hope the store will last. Huge store, not many shoppers. And they opened a MB right behind them. I shop there too, but for my produce I go to S&S. Don' t like MB's produce.

You really got me thinking tt. If we don' t count pizza (which we hardly ever eat) - I think I can count on one hand the times we have had take-out in our 40 plus years of marriage. I am not patting myself on the shoulder, but it just never occurred to me to do that. Guess it must be my European genes. Whenever, we did have take out - I was probably in the bed too sick to care about dinner.
    If we have been out all day, let' s say shopping or sight seeing - we may stop some place to eat. But mostly I cook dinners at home. I prepare ahead of time and use my slow-cooker a lot. Right now with all the beautiful vegetables and fruit - I pick them up fresh every day driving home from work. A lot of our meals are meatless these days. How long does it take to steam or sauté a few veggies?  Baked potatoes or baked sweet potatoes, I will stick in the oven on automatic - they will be done when we are ready to eat.
    I am not condemning people who live on take-out food. My DIL' s parents do it all the time (her mother never cooks), but it just never occurred to me to do so.

QUOTE]Hi Pingo, Did you go to the St and Sh on Route 1?  Over their chicken counters are quite large signs (green, I think) that say all St and Sh chicken is from USA.  I did buy some last week, the large breasts with skin on and bones in were on sale.  Have a lot of flavor roasted.  Never cooked leeks.  With getting ready to go away Sat., you are doing good to be preparing full meals tonight and tomorrow - I think I'd be picking up some easy fast food. My neighbor called tonight looking to do something tomorrow, so I invited her to come up to lunch (and cards) with my friend.  Decided on my chicken/kielbasa jambalaya for lunch - St and Sh had the kielbasa on sale today, buy 1 get 1 free. Don't know if I'll get a chance to wish you a safe trip tomorrow, so want to be sure to do it tonight.  Have a wonderful time and be safe.  We'll miss your posts.  Check in with us when you get back.  One of my sons called me from Niagara Falls today, so I could hear the Falls once again.  He was so funny.  Said the Bell Tower didn't play songs anymore, and while he was talking, it began playing one!  Many, many changes since I went years ago.  Marilyn Monroe's movie had inspired me to go at that time, and one of the men in the movie had worked at the Shredded Wheat Plant on the American Side of the Falls, which we made a point to drive by and take a picture of.  The factory is no more.  He knows I hate changes and said he was debating whether to show me the new pictures he was taking when he gets home, or pull out the old ones and say, "See, Ma, nothing's changed!" Have a wonderful time.  We'll miss you.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Is this the food thread? Laughing   I just could not resist.

As for Niagra falls, it has probably been 30 years since I last went there, and 48 years since the first time. If it has changed, I don't want to know either. Those days you could walk over to the Canadian side and back. Not any longer without a visa and passport I think

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi Ken,
    We visited Niagara for the first time in 1967. Then we went back a few years ago, and we didn't like what we saw. Things has changed - and not for the better.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

hi pingo

Have a wonderful trip !  Looking forward to hearing all about it.

I will miss you.

putt

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Check out my new thread on poetry.  Feel free to comment, good or bad, I can take it.  And please, the rest of you feel free to add to it, original or copied. Mine will all me MINE>

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

[QUOTE]Check out my new thread on poetry.  Feel free to comment, good or bad, I can take it.  And please, the rest of you feel free to add to it, original or copied. Mine will all me MINE>
    Posted by Ken1935[/QUOTE]

I'm looking forward to reading it!Smile

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Everybody -

At last, it is Saturday.  I thought this past week would never end.  I'm at loose ends this weekend, and it's a nice feeling. I actually don't have big weekend plans until I go to Maine in July. I need to get some flowers for the cemetery because I did not do that before we went to California. So, I may take a ride over to Wilson's Farm in Lexington.  I like to poke around their place and see what they have for flowers and inside the food shop.

For me, it is the perfect day for a walk - cool and overcast.  Supposed to brighten up later today I guess.  I realized today I only watered my plants once this week.  Unusual for this time of year.  I'm usually out there every other day by now.  

TT, how did the jambalaya turn out?  Were you lucky at cards?  I've never been to Niagara Falls.  Seen it from the air, that's it.  

Putt, how is the house painting coming along? You may be in Ogunquit this weekend.  If so, I hope you enjoy and tell us about it when you return.

mothermitzi  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello mother mitzy - I am almost done packing - not leaving until 3 from home. I am so anxious to go. It has been a 'tough' spring with all our visitors and lots of work in our company. So, you will be going to Wilson Farm? Watch out for the seeds they sell there. LOL
    I love that place myself. But this year I found an all planted pot for my deck at Costco. Geraniums, some tall grass, some foliage, some beautiful blue flowers, I don't know the name on - yet. The price could not be beaten - and no work. I was kind of hesitating at first, b/c I usually buy my own sturdy plants (I am very fussy in picking them) and do my own planting in my pots. But I have to say this one is doing extremely well. Much better than expected.
    Sounds likyou have  a nice relaed weekend. Sometimes we need those. 
    Have a happy one, will talk to you when I get back - Pingo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hello Pingo,

Glad I happened to check the boards - didn't think you'd be on today.  Have a wonderful trip, make lots of memories, and come back safe.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Hi MM
    So your are going to Lexington. I grew up in Arlington, but only 5 houses from the Lex line, on the hill above the Arlington Res. But I don't remember Wilson's Farm, oddly enough, but maybe it was not there when I left, in 1953.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Happy Saturday,

Jambalaya was a hit, Mothermizi.  Since I don't measure seasonings, it always tastes just a little different.  I grab whatever from the cabinet and sprinkle.  There's enough left over for a little supper for me tonight.  Cards have been embarrassingly in my favor the last few times playing, so much so that I'm hoping they won't get tired of playing with me.  I'm not one who can just "let someone win", unless of course, it's one of my grandkids.

As for Niagara Falls, it is well worth a 2-3 day stop there.  It literally will take your breath away as you stand beside them, and going under/beneath the Falls, is unbelievable.  Be sure to stay on the Canadian side, they are the most magnificent from Canada.  I remember the drive up a lovely scenic one with streams flowing down on either side of the highway.  Ken is right about walking over the bridge, not able to do that anymore, or even go to the Bell Tower.  That apparently is on the American side of the bridge, so you must have your passport in hand, as my son found out.

Enjoy your week-end, everyone.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

[QUOTE]Hello mother mitzy - I am almost done packing - not leaving until 3 from home. I am so anxious to go. It has been a 'tough' spring with all our visitors and lots of work in our company. So, you will be going to Wilson Farm? Watch out for the seeds they sell there. LOL I love that place myself. But this year I found an all planted pot for my deck at Costco. Geraniums, some tall grass, some foliage, some beautiful blue flowers, I don't know the name on - yet. The price could not be beaten - and no work. I was kind of hesitating at first, b/c I usually buy my own sturdy plants (I am very fussy in picking them) and do my own planting in my pots. But I have to say this one is doing extremely well. Much better than expected. Sounds likyou have  a nice relaed weekend. Sometimes we need those.  Have a happy one, will talk to you when I get back - Pingo
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Hi pingo -

Enjoy!  Enjoy!

Come back to us safe and sound and full of stories.  Yes, I will avoid the seeds!  
    mothermitzi

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks everyone for you good wishes. All is packed and we will be picked up in about 1/2 hour. You all take care. I am shutting down my machine just now. Best to you all - Pingo

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

[QUOTE]Hi MM So your are going to Lexington. I grew up in Arlington, but only 5 houses from the Lex line, on the hill above the Arlington Res. But I don't remember Wilson's Farm, oddly enough, but maybe it was not there when I left, in 1953.
    Posted by Ken1935[/QUOTE]

Hi Ken -

According to their website, they've been around since 1884. As long as I can remember, they've been off of 2A, about three quarters of a mile from Lex Center. Not sure if that has always been their location, but their fields are right there, so I assume it has.  According to their site, they have greens today, and that's what I'm supposed to be eating these days. It's more convenient for me to take advantage of the farmer's market in Copley, but I have time on my hands and feel like poking around.  Another place I like is Russo's in Watertown. If you grew up closer to Lexington, you may not be too familiar with this place, but they've been around for a long time.  They don't grow their own anymore but have an excellent selection from local producers.  They have a great cheese selection.  if I'm having a party or family gathering, I go there.  I think there were farms in Arlington, too.  East Arlington, where my father's sister lives, was formerly farms.  She told me they used to grow celery there.

mothermitzi   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Hi mothermitzi

Good to hear from you - my trip to Ogunquit is next weekend.

The painting was finished yesterday.  He brought a real painter with him and they did more in two days then in five weeks.  My nephew knocked on the door and told me they were finished.  In other words, I want my check.  I asked if he did the attic window and he said "no, the ladder isnt tall enough my friend will be back next week. "  My response to him was" then you will get paid when the job is done".. Guess what - they had a ladder plenty tall enough because they had been using my husbands and it was bought purposely to use on this house so he did the window. The job is done and family or not he will never be hired again.  Arent you glad you asked... now, if he will just come back for his ladders I will really be happy.

Have a great weekend and I hope you get some nice flowers. 

putt

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi tt -

Glad to hear you're enjoying a run of luck with the card games.  I bet the stakes are high!  Your jambalaya sounds very good.  I must confess, I use the store bought mix when I make it - Zatarains I think.  Thanks for the Niagara info.  I have friends who went a few weeks ago.  They did the required tourist activities and liked the boat ride that takes you close to the falls.  They were less than impressed with the New York side and also recommend staying on the Canadian side. 

Well, I better get off the stick or the day will be done.  It is brightening outside. Enjoy the rest of the day.

mothermitzi    

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi putt -

I used to read Ann Landers regularly.  She always said don't lend money to friends or family, and I think she extended that wisdom out to hiring, as well.  However, I've broken all those rules myself over the years, but luckily, never had the agita you have!  At least it's done, and it's only early June.  You'll have all summer to enjoy it.  Are you going to put in plants now or just skip this year?

Hopefully, you'll have better weather next weekend. Make sure you go on the Cliff Walk or Marginal Way.  I can't remember exactly what it is called. I think it's a mile or so with great views and benches strategically placed along the way. And there's the Christmas Dove in Perkins Cove. My family won't let me go inside anymore! 

mothermitzi

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Mothermitzi,

The stakes  were high yesterday, because one friend told me she was staying and playing cards until she won - and was bringing her jammies and blankie!  Amazingly, she won the first game!  We have a good time and a lot of laughs, with a lot of teasing going on.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

[QUOTE]Hi Mothermitzi, The stakes   were high yesterday, because one friend told me she was staying and playing cards until she won - and was bringing her jammies and blankie!  Amazingly, she won the first game!  We have a good time and a lot of laughs, with a lot of teasing going on.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

What game(s) do you play?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

A very OLD game, Spite and Malice.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Hi mothermitzi

As soon as the front of the house was finished I bought white window boxes and planted lots of coral, purple and blue.  Geraniums, petunias and a new flower that looks a lot like violets.  The house is a very soft ivory with white trim so the color stands out.  I also have coral geraniums in a bucket on the stairs.  I bought multi colored impatiens for the backyard but am stuck until he gets his ladders out of here.

I am definately planning to walk the Marginal Way and hopefully it will be good beach weather next weekend.

Hope you were able to get in a walk today.

putt