King Cake you can make

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

King Cake you can make

I will attach the pictures to go along with this. There are 5 pictures.

King Cake is a New Orleans favorite for Mardi GrasFeb 16th), but with the Saints in the superbowl, it could work for this up-coming Sunday

A king Cake is a sweetdough that has a baby placed/baked in one of the rolls. The tradition is the person who gets the baby" in their roll will have good luck all year. Its so easy

You wil need:

Pillsbury Cinnarolls
    Pam
    Pie tin
    Gummy bear( I prefer this to the plastic baby)
    food coloring purple, green, yellow

Place the Cinnarolls in the pie tin, bake at 300 about 10 minutes til brown
    Cool, place a gummy bear into one of the rolls so you can't see it
    frost with the colored icing.

I think the pictures fill in any blanks the words don't quite fill

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: King Cake you can make

I never heard of that, Icer, but that would be neat and easy to make when I have my company on Valentine's.  Wonder if they have heard of it.  Anyway, I'm with you as far as a gummy bear in place of a plastic baby - thanks for sharing!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

We don't use this tradition around here but if you Google it, you can get one shipped to you for 40.00.

I like the gummy instead of the Baby too.
    I submitted this recipe to Pillsbury. I will let you know if they respond

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Being from the New Orleans area, king cake is a tradition in my husband's family. His aunt used to make one with a cream cheese filling - yummy.  I will have my fill of it over Mardi Gras.  Wherever we visit, we are offered a piece!  After all these years, I have yet to get a piece with a baby in it!  Looks good icer.

mothermitzi

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Thanks MM, Coming from someone who has seen many, I will take that as a compliment

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

BTW, Icer, picked up a pkg of gummy bears (red and white - for Valentine's Day, I guess) - all to get just one to hide in the King cake!  I got some purple and green sprinkles (already had yellow) to top off the colored frosting sections.  Just my own little touch for decoration.  Hope company comes early Valentine's day to have coffee and, so I can serve them some.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Since I have never heard of a "King Cake" - I needed some more information, not to sound too ignorant, so I googles it and found a lot of information there under Wikipedia.

The cakes have a small trinket (often a small plastic baby, said to represent Baby Jesus) inside, and the person who gets the piece of cake with the trinket has various privileges and obligations (such as buying the cake for next year's celebration).
    Sorry ladies, I don't think a gummy bear will do. I also thought if someone get a piece of cake with a gummy bear, they could possibly eat the gummy bear w/o noticing. LOL
    It was interesting to find, that the cake is actually representing the Three Kings and is a celebration of Epiphany in some countries. The colors: yellow, green and purple are the colors of Mardi Gras.
    But try to google it yourself. Lots of many more interesting tidbits.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hmmmm - eat the baby, huh?  That did give me a good laugh, but I'd rather "eat the gummy bear baby" than have someone bite into or worse yet, swallow, a plastic baby.

You gave us a lot of good info, Pingo.  Had no idea it was connected with The Three Kings.  I'll have to google around as you suggested and get a bit more knowledgeable on just what I'm making.  Still will make it and add my own thought of sparkly sprinkles to the icing - makes me think of a group of people standing in a circle, the first person whispering something to the person next to him, and by the time it gets around and back to the first person again, the story is completely different - that's what we're all doing to the poor original Mardi Gras King cake!  Thank you for sharing tho, Icer, I think it's a fun tradition.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

If you have any of the Wade English porcelain figures from the Red Rose Tea boxes, you could use one of those.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Do they include those in the boxes of tea?  I seem to remember being in someone's home who had a collection - a long time ago tho.

P.S.  I just googled Red Rose figurines and see the different series.  It looks as tho there is one in special boxes of Red Rose - picture looks like a wooden box?  Is that correct?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

No, they are in all the cardboard boxes of 100 regular tea bags.  They may be in other boxes too.  The series right now is the months of the year, so there is a little snowman for January, a cupid for Feb, a leprechaun for March, etc.  I've been collecting them for years, and I enjoy them a lot.  Some are cuter than others, of course.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh yeah Hats! I have several of them tucked away somewhere. They would be great for this purpose.
    tt, they came in the normal Red Rose Tea boxes you buy at the grocery stores. But I think they stopped it. I just went to check my latest purchase and there is no figurine in it.
    I have some of the green animal series. I can't believe they are a collector's item. And what prices they are asking.
    tt, I would give you one for free (if I can find them).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hats, looks like you and posted at the same time. I would normally buy the  box of 100 bags, but the last box I picked up was only a 48 one (the store may have been out of the 100 ones). I guess therefore no figurine.
    I had no idea, there are different series. The new months of the year sounds interesting. But one cannot see on the box, which one is inside. So, how do you avoid to get a January left over in February?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm trying to remember whose house I saw the collection in.  I almost think it was someone who played a version of dominoes - you have to put a marker on top of your line if you can't play?  I'm just thinking out loud now, and if that was where I saw them, it was G.T.  I'll have to ask him.  I always buy tea, but I think the reason I shied away from Red Rose was that it was very strong.  I swiggle the tea bag through the water 3 times tops, and then drink it, even my Irish tea I drink very weak.  However, I do have tea drinking friends and next time I'll try a box of Red Rose for them - 100 bags will last me an eon, since I drink decaf.  Are the boxes marked so you know whether or not there is one in there? - We're really off the Mardi Gras sweet cake now, aren't we.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

there you go folks. I just love all of these ideas. Thanks guys

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Icer, how did your King cake go over?  Who got the gummy bear baby?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

What do you know? I just got this in my e-mail from one of my most favorite bakeries. The price is really not too bad - and their baked goods are awesome.

http://www.ohdanishbakery.com/ohdb/STR035?scritmnum=200&source=20100208&camseq=201002086125618

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I guess my idea of colored sprinkles on top is not so original afterall!
    Icer, jump in and tell us how yours went over and who got the "baby".  I'm still planning on making mine for this week-end.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

It was one of the neighborhood kids that got the gummy bear here. We did kind of make sure that one of the kids got it though.

They are tasty, I made one with 12 rolls so i used 2 pkges and a big pan instead of the pie tin. I do also like the aroma it gives to the kitchen.

Our neighbors are saying I made the Saints win because of it. And my cousin won 450.00, she is saying it was the luck of the King cake.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

What fun, Icer.  I'll do my shopping today and I was planning on buying 2 pkgs too, altho I'll put mine in my tube pan.  Thought of one more change I may make, instead of using the frosting that comes in the roll pkg I'll buy a can of cream cheese frosting, thin it out and use that, topped with the sprinkles.  What do you think?  Boy, we're really deviating from the real thing - or are we getting closer?!
    Can't wait until this week-end:  King cake with coffee in the morning, then Bird's Nest, salad, and my mocha topped cake for dessert.  Yum.  Hopefully they'll be enough left over of everything that my friend who is cancelling tomorrow's visit, and I can share the leftovers the day after.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I think we ended up vary it, bt...a king cake by any other name is still breakfast.
    We did have fun, the littlest one got the gummy and we put a paper hat/crown on him... so cute

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Icer, I just want to thank you for enlightening me/us for such a fun thing. Never, ever before did I hear about a King Cake.
    I could have made my own from your recipe, but I did break down and ordered one from the bakery I posted. The cream cheese filling was calling me.
    So, Mr. Pingo and I will be all dressed up in beads and will enjoy our King Cake, while thinking of Icer - Pingo

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh Gawd - is it time for true confessions?  After seeing the site you put on, Pingo, and Mothermitzi talking about her husband's aunt making one, both instances having cheese filling - - - - when I shopped today I saw a cheese danish ring with frosting on top - - - I bought it and will heat it enough that morning to soften the frosting and then sprinkle the purple, green, and yellow on individual sections.  A little red gummy bear baby will get tucked in through a slit I'll make in the bottom so that I won't remember where it is.  I'm sorry, Icer, but at $4.99 it seemed as cheap if not cheaper than making my own.  Like Pingo said tho, Icer, without you we never would have even been aware of putting together such a fun treat.  Thanks.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, please don't feel bad - inventing is a good thing. That is what cooking and home baking is all about. And truly, you will not go wrong with a Danish king. LOL - And I love your idea. Wish I had thought of that.
    However, I would still scrape off the OMG too sweet icing and cover it with the cream cheese frosting you suggested and then the sprinkles.
    I paid a bit more than you for my King Cake, but I know it will be good and I can't wait to receive and serve it. Next year I may go with your idea or make my own - even though I know for sure it will not be nearly as good as the one I am waiting for. What they call Danish Pastry here, is a far cry from the real thing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

No worries folks. I am very happy to introduce the subject. Enjoy