Let the Gardening Begin 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Re: Let the Gardening Begin 2011

one end of the garden

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

BDC doesn't like my other camera...I did get one shot of the "whole" garden..But I couldn't show the solortizing stuff...its just pvc pipe...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That's a lot longer than I pictured. Somehow I pictured it a raised bed and a lot of poles with things growing skyward!  Thanks for posting.  Much better pics.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbnickerson. Show jbnickerson's posts

I am a long-time lerker and a first-time participant.  My question is:  I have 3 hydragena bushes.  When I had my roof shoveled off this past winter, most of the snow fell on my buses which broke a lot of the branches.  Most of the broken branches have blooms on them this winter, albeit they are on the ground.  Any suggestion as to what I should do for them?  After the blooms die, should I cut off the broken branches, tie up the broken branches?  Any suggestions would be appreicated.  I am no savy with gardening of any kind.  TIA.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Check out The Garden Guys 96.9 FM radio  Sundays 6am-9am you can call in and   they also have a website where you can post your questions.   I've been told to  leave hydrangeas alone,   the blooms for next year form on the old wood,  however I think it depends on the type of hydrangea,  also they love water,  so make sure you water them every day, especially in this weather.  www.garden-guys.com

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: Let the Gardening Begin 2011:
    [QUOTE]I am a long-time lerker and a first-time participant.  My question is:  I have 3 hydragena bushes.  When I had my roof shoveled off this past winter, most of the snow fell on my buses which broke a lot of the branches.  Most of the broken branches have blooms on them this winter, albeit they are on the ground.  Any suggestion as to what I should do for them?  After the blooms die, should I cut off the broken branches, tie up the broken branches?  Any suggestions would be appreicated.  I am no savy with gardening of any kind.  TIA.
    Posted by jbnickerson[/QUOTE]

jb, we turn to my son, G.T., a lot for gardening questions, he has beautiful flower gardens (see pic above), and so I forwarded your question to him.  He sent me the following.  I hope it will be helpful to you.

Unfortunately it all depends on the type of Hydrangea you have.
    There are several different varieties. Some flower on "new growth"  which means that you can cut them down in the spring, and they will flower that summer.
    Some flower on "old growth" which means that you need to prune them as soon as the flowers fade so that they have time to form new growth before the fall arrives ( Then when the next spring arrives it will be considered "old growth" and will flower.)
    If you have   Big leaf, Mop head, Annabelle, Lace Cap varieties, or Nikko Blue, you should be able to cut then back now to allow sufficient time for them to grow new branches which should bloom next year.
    To play it safe, I would assume they need to flower on "old growth" and prune them back as soon as the flowers start to fade. Just cut then above a healthy bud, which should sprout a new stem in no time.

There are many resources on line to help describe and identify the different types, so that you can learn which kind you have.

GT

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbnickerson. Show jbnickerson's posts

Thanks for the info ladies.  I believe I have 2 bushes of the lace variety and 1 bush of the Nikko Blue (the flowers are large, pompom looking and blue in color).  I am just concerned about the broken branches that are lying on the ground with new flowers on them.  I was hoping there was a way I could get the broken branches to stand up again.  I am not sure what you mean by "cut them above a healthy bud."  Sorry, but I am so "gardening" helpless!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I forwarded your email to GT - he sent this back a few minutes ago:

There is really no way to mend them so that they will stand upright again.  If you cut the broken branches off, about 4 or 5 inches above the ground, they will send out new branches and will flower next year.  If they are broken half way up the stem, you can just cut off the branch just a little below the break.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Be careful,  I have a hydrangea I clipped down due to winter damage,  well it came back all green and healthy but it hasn't flowered in 2 years,  I think it's a mophead, but I could be wrong.   I seem to have better luck with mine if I leave them alone.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

We had the same experience, Robin. We bought two Nicky Blue, and they were flowering profusely the first year we had them. Then one of them had a lot of damage during the winter, so we cut the all the damaged branches off. It never flowered since.
    The other one have flowered every year (4 years). This spring we talked about digging up the non flowering one, place it in some other part of the yard, since it is beautifully green. Then buy a new one to replace it.
    What do you know. Lots of buds are now developing. So don't give up on yours.
    - Pingo

In Response to Re: Let the Gardening Begin 2011:
    [QUOTE]Be careful,  I have a hydrangea I clipped down due to winter damage,  well it came back all green and healthy but it hasn't flowered in 2 years,  I think it's a mophead, but I could be wrong.   I seem to have better luck with mine if I leave them alone.
    Posted by Robin39[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

We put the left over beer at the end of the night in my rinsed out yogurt container to rid our garden of ear wigs

These are summer squash plants Do you see the yard stick?

the inside..I am picking these now...looks like I'm gonna need a stand

see how large the leaves are

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Icer, those look like leaves in a giant's garden!  I'll bet the veggies you are getting are giant size too.  Beautiful healthy looking plants.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

2nd planting of sugar snap peas

tomatoes

a smakeroo of potatoes

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I just bought some potatoes this week and they don't look anywhere as good as yours.  Seeing all that lush foliage - any sightings of the bunnies?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

We have not seen any bunnies this year come to think of it...Doesn't mean they aren't around though

thanks for the kind words

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wow, icer, I have been remiss in keeping up - your produce looks awesome!  Did you start everything in the hot house?

Here's a bowl of the veggies DH just picked and washed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Beautiful harvest of veggies, Kargiver.  Could be a pic in a food magazine.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks - I'm so spoiled with a DH who is capable in the garden.  Food in the stores is not even close to the same.  (Have you watched "The Future of Food" on Netflix?  It's a documentary on genetically modified food.  Makes me want to can our own stuff to be sure to get us through Winter.)  I'm almost done chopping the non-lettuce goodies.  Now, to spin the lettuce dry, and we'll have a couple days of salad all ready.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Watching - watching - watching -
    Moonflowers is almost ready to burst open - maybe tonight -

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ooooh, tonight's the night, looks like!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Our moonflowers don't even have buds yet.
    ..As far as your produce Kargiver..lovely, absolutley lovely, crops you have there...I am munching on raw beets as we type..hehehehe

I forget what was started inside and what was started outside..Honey does that end of things...I am on daily maitenence. Today is the first day I have not had anything to pick...whoot whoot! i need the break

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I know, people ask me about our growing stuff, and I have to defer to the one who does the growing!  And, I can relate to needing a break from picking.  Just the berries are a lot of work even though I do appreciate the result.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

G.T. remarked how these are the best looking moonflower plants I've had, and I reminded him they are right under the birdfeeder - natural fertilizer - plus I see them daily, so water them daily.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Not quite fully open, but it's raining out and getting dark.  So here it is.  If in the morning the rain hasn't damaged it and it has fully opened, I'll exchange pic.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, those pictures are awesome; worth a magazine front page. I just love to see them in the process of opening. - Pingo