Let the Gardening Begin 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: Let the Gardening Begin 2011

Came back in to find this pic of G.T.'s garden this morning before he left for work -

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wow, so professional and warm looking!  He's a master.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Great pic, tt - beautiful Victorian cutting garden. Does he bring them inside? Also, I forgot to mention the cute picture of your grandson picking apples - what memories. - Pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: Let the Gardening Begin 2011:
    [QUOTE]Great pic, tt - beautiful Victorian cutting garden. Does he bring them inside? Also, I forgot to mention the cute picture of your grandson picking apples - what memories. - Pingo
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

He brings them inside, and always brings bouquets when they go visit anyone.  I told him it's like a giant's garden - everything is 2 or 3 times bigger than the same variety grown by someone else!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gorgeous - they glow like they have their own lights.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Tonight's offerings - and it smells heavenly outside -

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh, they are beautiful, tt. But I am quite surprised to see how short they are. I always imagined them as a vine, snaking themselves up an espalier or a lamp post. Like a Clematis kind of. - Pingo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Hey Pingo..that is what ours do...climb

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

There are 2 different varieties.  These are sturdy single plants, with larger blossoms.  I'm shooting from above, down at them too, so the angle makes the plant look shorter than it is.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Last pic I'll post of moonflowers.  Same flowers early this a.m. fully open like trumpets.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning tt,
    Beautiful flowers - how long do they stay? Do they open and then close in a day - just like my Hibiscus?
    I googled them and found lots of pictures. Looks like yours is the one, that is called "sodahead". Didn't realize, there are so many varieties. - Pingo

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yes, you can see the front flower is starting to wilt already.  Usually start opening around 4 p.m. and by mid morning the next day, usually they're wilting.  Lovely plant to have, they're almost flourescent in the dark.

You haven't posted any pics of your gardens.  Did you ever have your landscape man do the buddha area you were thinking of?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: Moon flowers: spraying them with some fish/kelp/water fertilizer solution (available in garden stores) once in a while, one will get many more flowers.
    I am moon flower expert - NOT. Read it on the net. - Pingo

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I could have used that other years, but this year, as you can see, each plant is already loaded with blossoms.  That's pretty much virgin soil there, I've never planted right under the birdfeeder, plus I do give them a good dose of water each day, so I think that's half the difference.  When G.T. planted them, they already seemed to have such sturdy little stems.  Just a good batch.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

No, tt. We are still looking for a Buddha. DH thinks he will find a nice one, when he travels overseas.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

It does indeed look like it is a good stock. Did GT grow them from seeds for you? I never seen them as plants in the nurseries.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: Let the Gardening Begin 2011:
    [QUOTE]No, tt. We are still looking for a Buddha. DH thinks he will find a nice one, when he travels overseas.
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

But, how much to have it shipped?  They are heavy devils.  Next time you are in Essex, check out that gift shop whose name always escapes me - the one with the gazing balls on the side lawn.  Sometimes she has some unusual ones - I'm assuming that's what you're looking for.  I love the one G.T. found.  I had never seen that particular one before.  It's such a smooth and peaceful statue.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yes, these are from seeds of others he has.   I don't remember how he got started back in the days of his first moonflower plants.  I'll ask him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes,tt. DH is looking for an unusual one. We have had heavy things shipped in the past, and it is not as expensive as one might think - especially, if you don't care about the time of arrival.
    Will take a ride up to the gift shop in Essex some nice day. Thanks for the tip.
    - Pingo

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re:  G.T.'s first moonflower -

A friend of ours from RI had a Victorian home and a nice garden.  He had an unusual shade of  Astilbe, and dug up a piece for me.  I planted it in our garden.  The Astilbe did not grow too well but this odd looking seedling came up that was mixed in with it.  It looked too interesting to pull up, so I let it grow and there it was!  At that time I did not know what it was. When I told the guy who gave me the Astilbe what had grown, he said that he had been trying to grow Moon Flowers with no luck. I started saving seeds each year from then on, and planted them at every home since. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, what a nice story. Imagine that? Thanks GT for sharing - Pingo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That is so cool, tt!  What a story.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, what a great story.  I'd like to find some moonflowers, I like them.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Somewhere at some nursery or one online, there must be seeds or plants for sale, I would think.  Now if Ache's contest re Pingo and my meeting had come to fruition, everyone would have a pretty clear idea where I live, and you could stop by and I would dig up a couple of small plants for you - - - The contest is kaput now, so he says, so I guess that's that. 

ETA:  Because it's been dark all day, the blossoms are still fully open.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Different variety G.T. is growing for the first time this year:

Sections
Shortcuts