Let the Gardening Begin 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: Let the Gardening Begin 2011

Icer, your morning glories are beautiful!  What an assortment of colors.  It must be beautiful to stand back and see all the different colors in bloom.  I still haven't been able to grow them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Ahhh,, Thank you Tt...I can not grow Wysteria...and I think you have that...also...I can't grow your brand of Moonflowers...so it all evens out

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

hi icer -

Beautiful morning glories!  I have had good luck with mine this year, too.  Nothing like seeing them first thing in the morning.  Enjoy your weekend.

mothermitzi

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Icer, what a beautiful display you have there. Such lovely colors. You and your DH are a GT number 2. - Pingo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: Let the Gardening Begin 2011:
    [QUOTE]Ahhh,, Thank you Tt...I can not grow Wysteria...and I think you have that...also...I can't grow your brand of Moonflowers...so it all evens out
    Posted by icer[/QUOTE]

From my experience this year, the best piece of advice I can give is:
    Plant the moonflowers under a bird feeder!

As for the wisteria, I think it needs a sturdy fence to adhere to and climb along.  It's almost impossible to remove (should you want to), and its tenacles reach out for something to cling onto.  Both my son and I planted ours at the base of a fence, his a chain link, in the full sun, and we both have to keep cutting ours back.  They are gorgeous and the aroma when in bloom is intoxicating as you come around the corner of the house.  Just glad I planted mine where I did.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Let the Gardening Begin 2011 : From my experience this year, the best piece of advice I can give is: Plant the moonflowers under a bird feeder! As for the wisteria, I think it needs a sturdy fence to adhere to and climb along.  It's almost impossible to remove (should you want to), and its tenacles reach out for something to cling onto.  Both my son and I planted ours at the base of a fence, his a chain link, in the full sun, and we both have to keep cutting ours back.  They are gorgeous and the aroma when in bloom is intoxicating as you come around the corner of the house.  Just glad I planted mine where I did.

Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

We have tried Wysteria many times...it just doesn't like it here...but I can be happy with yours

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Let there be moonflowers

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"Let there not be a rash!"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

i'm good with that

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Our accidental hops

the hops mixed in with our morning glories

beautiful blues today

they blend in with the clor of the sky today

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

The size of your morning glory vines is unbelievable, Icer.  Absolutely gorgeous.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

had a pretty good moonflower night

These usually go well till Halloween

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

How beautiful.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Icer, gorgeous moon flower shots!

Here's what's going on in our garden right now, the cabbage down the center, and Brussels sprouts across the back ahead of the asparagus "trees" are the stars of the show at this point, but we have salad stuff, chard, and celery left, too.  These are the last of the peppers, I guess - DH is ripping out a bunch of dead stuff right now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Look at those cabbages - my mouth is watering. Lots and lots of cabbage soup and coleslaw. Made sweet and sour red cabbage, over the weekend, when son was here. Gorgeous peppers too. Now with the close up, I can see it is quite a large patch - lots and lots of work for your Dh (and you after he harvest it). Just wondering - do you grow the veggies from seed or do you buy the plants. I just can't imagine to take care of all those seedlings. - Pingo

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Behind the asparagus is the other half of the garden.  We get enough food for a small army.  DH likes the cabbage steamed with browned ground turkey added that I spice with Bell's Poultry Seasoning, smoked paprika, and sea salt.  In the cabbage goes soy sauce, white balsamic, butter, salt, and pepper.  Takes about 30 minutes.

He grows some things from seeds (lettuce and other salad stuff, for instance), and other things from seedlings (the cabbage and tomatoes, for instance).

Here's the back of the garden that you can't see past the asparagus in photos taken from the front:

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Not sure if it makes sense, but if you "glue" these two photos together with the asparagus in the middle you'd get the whole thing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Did I see beet greens?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

The blue on these Morning glories is soooo deep

and our cheery little pinks

the beets and carrots can stay in the ground a while

these are sweet potatoe...our first time

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Luscious looking plants, both flowers and veggies, Icer.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

icer, gorgeous morning glories and veggies - sorry I missed them before!

Had to dump the snow out of the cabbage I picked yesterday (the first one in the row was the next to get the axe).  It seemed no worse for wear.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Wow, you really got hit with a lot of snow already.  Are you prepared for tonight's onslaught?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    Imagine this much snow in October? Well I guess, we HAVE to imagine it now.
    You know, some veggies - like the cabbage family - gets better if they get some frost - makes them sweeter. Just peel off the outer mushed leaves - the inner part stays fine and fresh. - Pingo

ps. Hey, language teacher. Is mushed not a word? I came up with a red underline. I used it anyway. Sounded fairly good to me.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, we are ready!  DH is home and will be putting the plows on the tractor and truck this afternoon.  So early.......

Pingo, indeed, we agree about frost on the late Fall veggies being A-OK.  We are picking Brussels sprouts today (you can see them in a "T" row behind the cabbage).  

"Mushed" is slang and perfectly acceptable for an informal setting like a message board.  Not in a college essay or formal letter.  :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks teacher!
    [QUOTE]tt, we are ready!  DH is home and will be putting the plows on the tractor and truck this afternoon.  So early....... Pingo, indeed, we agree about frost on the late Fall veggies being A-OK.  We are picking Brussels sprouts today (you can see them in a "T" row behind the cabbage).   "Mushed" is slang and perfectly acceptable for an informal setting like a message board.  Not in a college essay or formal letter.  :)
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]