let the gardening begin

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

let the gardening begin

This is out of focus broccoli

sugar snap peas

morning glories

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: let the gardening begin

Oh Icer, you make me want to do some planting!  Your snap peas are off to a good start already.  And, you know from past postings how jealous I am of your morning glories.  They just don't like my soil, no matter where I plant them.  Maybe the secret is to have G.T. start a pot and transplant them here - that's a real thought, I'm going to email him!

Addendum:  He said his are reddish/purple and are coming up, like yours.  He'll replant some of them here - Yea!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I just thought I would share . I am so happy for that you are getting some too

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

YAY!  Here comes the bushels of "free" food! 

DH planted our lettuce, spinach, and other early crops...I'll post a photo of the garden tomorrow.  The light isn't very good right now.

Happy and bountiful growing season, everyone!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

New pictures folks

broccoli

the new snap peas

I goofed same picture

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

lets try again

spinach

the more mature snap peas

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Love the pictures, Icer.  I was wondering about the snap peas, if they had gotten much taller.  Had some in my salad at lunch today.  Haven't checked the "April" thread yet, so don't know if you responded about the r-a-b-b-i-t ?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

In Response to Re: let the gardening begin:
    Love the pictures, Icer.  I was wondering about the snap peas, if they had gotten much taller.  Had some in my salad at lunch today.  Haven't checked the "April" thread yet, so don't know if you responded about the r-a-b-b-i-t ?
    Posted by toytrumpet

We do see glimpses of rabbit but I don't think its just one we see anymore.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Icer, those pictures are lovely. When will you be planting your tomatoes? Mine are getting quite tall. I feel like pinching them. Would that be ok? Mr. P has been after me to get them into the ground, but I keep saying, "Not until Mem. Day!" And see now today, freezing cold. I would hate to see them die after all the work I have put into them. One cannot trust the weather around here.
    What happened to the bunny, you made a shelter for last fall? Is this the bunny that are mentioned here? Maybe he/she expanded the family during the winter. We have rabbits here, and I believe they are the ones eating my bulbs.
    How is Mom doing? Has she moved in with you yet? You don't mention her much any more, but of course you must be done with the extension for her.
    -Pingo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Love the pictures!  And I'm jealous!

Anyone know how easy it is to transplant herbs?  I have oregano growing in a front planter at our condo, but we might be moving to a house at the end of May.  I want to take it with me (and finally get my garden going) but how far down do you think I need to dig?  It's been in there for 2 years and I don't want to kill it!  It's really great Greek oregano.  I also have basil and rosemary which I've started sprouting inside in the hopes that I can just transplant them in the future too.  

Also, what do you guys think about throwing a strawberry plant in a hanger for later transplantation?  I hate that I don't have the yard yet to plant in the ground but I don't want to miss out on the early June berries and I fear that it will be too late at the end of May to actually find a decent plant around here.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Lostgrouse,
    I know, what you mean by keeping your Oregano. I have a Rosemary plant that now is 7 years old. I take it inside during the winter. I have already put is back out. As long as we don't get frost, it will be ok. If we do expect frost, I will just pick it up and bring it inside.
    In my experience herbs do not transplant well, so I keep mine in pots. I used to have them growing in my vegetable patch, but found it a lot easier to have them growing in pots on my deck off my kitchen. Whenever I need some, I just pick up the pot, bring it in and snip. Learned that from Martha Stewart. They are also a lot cleaner.
    Most herbs are annuals anyway. At the end of the season, I cut them, dry them in a dark closet in sandwich paperbacks and use the dried ones over the winter. Much, much fresher than the store bought.
    I use a lot of different herbs, so sometimes I run out. I will then buy a fresh bunch, use whatever and dry the rest. Lots fresher and much cheaper than the little jars.
    I have only grown strawberries in a strawberry pot (just for fun and decoration). IMO - grown in the ground they need too huge an area in order to really matter, and the birds usually eat half of them. But I may try now with a couple of hanging plants, as they have become so popular.  If you start a hanging plant, I would keep it "hanging". I believe they are a different cultivar from the ones grown in the ground.
    Good luck with your new home and your gardening. You must be so excited.
    - Pingo

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning Lostgrouse,

Pingo knows a lot more about herbs than I, but just a thought - you might try digging up a good size piece of your oregano, potting it, and bringing it with you, keeping it in the pot.  A friend of mine had several bunches of basil growing in her garden, and dug up and repotted a good size clump to bring out to my son.  He has kept it in a pot on his porch, outside his kitchen door, and has cut and used it as needed.  It might work with the oregano too.  Worth a shot.  Good luck with your move, both plants and your family.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I hate to even chime in here but I just used the last of my basil from last year...I just cut it last fall and it has been growing in a glass of water on the window sill

We don't have our tomatoes outside yet Even though we do that solorize thing..,I am with you Pingo,,too unpredictable with the weather.

The bunnies that I was refering to are the fruit of the same bunny from last year (I guess) In the very early morning they scamper to other parts of the yard by staying close to the stone wall ( I guess its warm) looks like there are 4. They are very quick right now.so if you blink...they are to their next area of coverage.
    Yes, Honey and I put things like outside chairs in front of those two holes I showed you all. We do this to allow them to view the surroundings before they are exposed to the elements.

Now if I hear any whisperings that Icer has round the bend, I will fake deafness lol

Nighty Night All

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Here are the blueberries that still have the tags.  The plants all look the same to me so I don't know if the tagless ones are different.  I keep forgetting to bring it up wiht DH.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thank you so much Kar. Now I have something to go for. I have been looking at the Elliot and the Jersey in catalogs. If they are good enough for Jersey, they sh b good for us as well.
    Looks like the Jersey still have berries on - or is it an old picture? - Pingo

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

All the berries are on the tags, not the bushes.  We won't have berries for awhile...July, I think.

Good luck!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Icer, G.T. brought down some morning glory seeds that he had soaked overnight.  They were already sprouting (guess that's the idea of soaking them).  In the buddha picture, you'll notice beyond the gazing ball there is a patch of a bush that has died.  Next to my bird feeder, we had a large shrub of the same flower that has been there about 40 years.  Something got into it, a blight or fungus, and  killed it, as well. The sparrows still land in it coming and going to the feeder, so I didn't want G.T. to cut it down.  I had him plant the seeds along the base of it, hoping the tendrils will use the dead branches to climb on.  Thought it would be a pretty - and useful use of the shrub.  His idea was to plant them to climb along the wrought iron fence there, so some were planted at one end, as well.  As soon as they start growing, if they do use the dead shrub to climb on, I'll post a pic.

How is your garden coming along?  With this warm weather bet you feel like getting those tomatoes and cukes in.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good luck, tt, with the repurposing of the dead shrub.  Sounds like it should work, but is the fungus gone from the soil?  I don't know how those blights work, but I wonder if the new guy might be killed by the same thing in the same spot.

DH's efforts are paying off.  The seeds he planted have germinated, and he set some new seedlings Saturday.  It is tempting to get the warmer crops going, but DH restrains himself 'til Memorial Day - he's been burned (or frozen as the case may be) too many times to risk it!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hmmmm - never thought of the fungus or whatever still being around.  Surprised G.T. didn't either.  I'll have to email him.  Chased a squirrel away from there this morning, he was sniffing around and I think digging the sprouted seeds up!  Oh wait, the fungus can't be, because we both noticed new sprouts coming up at the base.  I'm posting a pic on the May site of my snow leopard (maybe, if it prints up).  Every week I expect a note from the "powers that be" at BDC asking me to please stop posting pics!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think if I haven't been chastized by BDC, you'll be safe, tt, LOL.  I've posted a plethera with Gracie, the plants, birds, cooking...

Hopefully, the shoots mean the fungus is long gone.  I would not put very much stock in my gardening ideas - I have much to learn.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello all,
    Busy gardening morning. I potted two of my tomato plants for my deck with a Jalapeno pepper in front. If it get too cold I can always bring them inside, so I thought I would try. I have had my seedlings out for about a week to "solarize", as Icer calls it. The rest of the plants are still all in their peat pots, but the roots have started to show. I wish, I could have planted the rest of them in my raised bed (but not until Mem. Day - as the wise say). The weather today, shady with a light drizzle was just a perfect planting day. I will check up on the weather reports and maybe if ok, set them in the ground a bit earlier.
    Then I planted my Mandeville cuttings, that have rooted so nicely. I will hopefully have the vines growing everywhere on my deck.
    I seeded a pot with Basil. First time. I usually buy the plants. I know, they take long time to germinate, but I thought I would try it. I can always go and buy a pot later on - if not successful. I did buy Thyme, Chive and Tarragon plants. They are also down in pots now, surrounding my Rosemary plant.
    Except for changing the Pansies with geraniums, when time comes - this is what my deck is going to look like for the summer. Now we just need some nice weather to enjoy it all. - Pingo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Love those herbs, Pingo!  Those are all my favorite.  I just discovered tarragon a couple of years ago when  friend sent me home with some from her garden.  I love it in chicken salad.  There's rosemary in our perennial garden, but the mint might have already choked it out like it did our sage.  I consider it a heinous weed!  We set basil seedlings in thegarden; not sure when.  Good thing DH knows these things. 

This year looks like it's shaping up nicely in the weather department so I expect we'll have TONS of tomatoes to make up for last year's abysmal "crop."  I bet we'll end up needing the freezer we thought we'd buy last year for the basement. 

May you have great success with the seeds!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Mint will choke out most other herbs, but I planted it with some oregano and was amazed that the oregano seems to keep the mint in check.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claddaugh. Show Claddaugh's posts

Hi Ladies
    Sorry to butt in, but your gardening thread caught my eye and you all really know your stuff. I'm new to gardening and have what seems to be a sick weeping cherry tree (dwarf). It went in 2 years ago and now the bark is splitting right off the tree. Also, webs keep appearing- they are dark in color and are filled with tiny black bugs. One large branch split off at the elbow where the web grew. Currently, there are no visible worms or catepillars and the leaves are not showing discoloration or spots. Does anyone have experience with this? Any recommendations for pest removal and/or fertilizers? I tried contacting the landscaper who put it in but he's not responding.
    TIA!!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Haven't dealt with this problem, but if you have a Mahoney's or Kane's garden center near you (any garden center, I suppose) stop in and see what they suggest.  If you could bring a picture of the infestation, it would help.  Sounds like a tree in need of immediate attention.  Good luck. 
    P.S.  Any landscaper who won't return a call re a tree/plant he put in, is one to stay away from in the future, I'm sure you've already made that decision.