let the gardening begin

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: let the gardening begin

Hi, Clad, you are not intruding - you are welcome!  I know the least of all these wonderful gardeners, but I do agree with tt.  Your landscaper should be standing behind his tree so to speak.  Other than having him rectify this by removing and replacing this diseased one, I don't know what to suggest.  We had a cherry tree die last year, and DH is an expert.  :(

Good luck!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claddaugh. Show Claddaugh's posts

Ladies- thanks for the advice. I'm going to take some pix to the local nursery Sat am and see what they suggest. I have a large, mature cherry tree on the property and I want to make sure it doesn't get infected by this young one. That would be devastating (to me)!
    Re the landscaper- normally I wouldn't use one, but the project was too large for me to do alone- we practically 'gutted' our entire front yard. Unfortunately, his team was sloppy and he was expensive. And, they moved a mature Japanese red maple (beautiful) without my permission and killed it. Needless to say, I wasn't happy at all.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'd mention that other tree when I spoke to the manager...in person...with photos.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claddaugh. Show Claddaugh's posts

My computer seems to be stuttering this morning so if this is a dup entry, sorry!

I ended up replacing the tree with another Japanese maple (a juvenile). So far, it's doing great. I love the way the red leaves look in the sun- so pretty.

So- what's up with tomatoes this year? I didn't plant last year and by luck missed the blight. I'm anxious to get some started this year but don't know what to expect. Has anyone started tomatoes yet?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Did you ever get a name for whatever was causing all the distress to your cherry tree?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claddaugh. Show Claddaugh's posts

Not yet...going to the nursery tomorrow. Will let you all know what I discover.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We plant tomato seedlings Memorial Day weekend...usually about 12 plants.  Last year we got about 12 tomatoes.  Total.

DH is expecting a banner year given the weather so far.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Might be the wrong thread, but since I don't do vegetables - - - -

Lilies of the Valley in a corner of my yard -

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, how pretty and delicate.  Great photo.  Gardening is for ALL gardens! :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, lovely LoVs.
    Some years back a friend of mine was selling her house and moving to a condo. She had a beautiful patch of them. She told me to come and dig up clumps of them to plant in my yard, so we both could enjoy them later. I did and painstakingly planted the pips myself in an area near my driveway, with space in between as I knew, they would spread.
    Came Spring, and the landscape contractor, who did my cleaning at the time (actually his hired non English speaking guys) pulled them all up, thinking they were weeds. I was furious and asked him to replace all 50 of them. Of course it never happened.
    I was so bothered by the fact, that these guys did not understand English. They would just look at me and shake their head. The contractor himself was hardly ever to be seen. I guess he just had several crews he would drop of wherever. I terminated his contract and found someone else. Now we state in the contract, that we require at least one person to be here, who understand and speak English.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I think the problem of non English speaking gardners is prominent.  These guys that come here just smile and nod their head, I know they don't have a clue what I'm saying.  At a wake recently, I was talking with a friend of my son's who has his own landscaping business in Connecticut.  I told him about these guys that just smile and nod, and he "smiled and nodded", saying that's exactly what  his guys do!  I don't know if it's because the labor is cheaper, or what.  Annoying.

Anyway, it's too bad about your Lilies.  Mine like the shade of the fir tree and multiply, but certainly haven't invaded the grass or taken over.  That patch has been there since I bought the house 40 odd years ago.

Noticed potted good size tomato plants at S&S today, didn't price them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claddaugh. Show Claddaugh's posts

Pingo- That is SOOO frustrating! It makes me bananas when a service provider makes a mistake like that and then doesn't fix it. Many years ago, DH worked as a landscaper summers during highschool and college. On one of his first jobs, he pulled up a whole bunch of pachysandra- thinking those were weeds! He did replace them though. He still loathes pachy to this day!!
    I adore lily of the valley. My mom had them all over the property where I grew up. Lovely. She definitely had a green thumb. Her gardens at her last home were just gorgeous. Before we sold the property (she died in 2006), I dug up a bunch of bulbs and now have many of her plants in my gardens here.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Claddaugh, that was nice that you were able to transplant some of the same flowers that grew in your mother's yard.  When we moved to this house, we dug up some of the extras of peonies, roses, calla lilies, rhubarb, concord grape that we had in my childhood home.  It was poor soil, a lot of clay, and so we were sure it would take here in soil that hadn't ever been planted.  Nothing took.  I was so disappointed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claddaugh. Show Claddaugh's posts

tt- what a bummer about your transplants. I've been very lucky with mine. Do you all have any opinions about buying plants at nurseries vs Lowes? I bought all mine last year at local nurseries and they're thriving, but they were a bit pricey. Lowes has the same plants at lower prices. Is the quality the same?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Claddaugh, you think you've got problems - how would you like to look out after a heavy rain storm and see these that had burst open on a juniper?  Never in all my life saw anything like it.  Appeared yesterday after one of the heavy rains.  I called G.T. who googled it and came up with a really informative government bulletin complete with pics which matched up with this one I sent him - called Cedar-Red Rust.  Not harmful to tree or apple, but a fungus that requires two hosts, an apple or crabapple and a member of the juniper family.  It felt and looked like those balls the kids play with that have a gel like feel -  Made me think of an alien blob - -

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Wow TT That is amazing!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

I second Icers "Wow". What do you do with them? I'm not only new to computers,but having just bought a house with a yard, I'm new to gardening. I really enjoy this gardening thread,and the bird thread! b.g.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes tt, what do you do with those guys? If I didn't know it was a form of disease, I would say they look pretty. Beautiful color anyway. They must have some kind of purpose. ??? - P

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Believe me, they're not pretty, Pingo, they're creepy, gross, ugh.  Especially when you remember their gel texture.  Yesterday they had started to shrivel up, and today from inside the house anyway, you would hardly know they were there.
    Here's the website, if anyone if interested, it's really a very interesting article.

http://www.ct.gov/caes/lib/caes/documents/publications/fact_sheets/plant_pathology_and_ecology/cedar-apple_rust_05-01-08r.pdf

We're not sure how we'll treat it, according to the article you have to catch it in its dormant season.  Since there is only one apple tree in my yard, a spray may work since it takes 2 hosts, an apple and juniper, for it to propagate.  The other option is to cut the apple tree down and replace with a different kind of small flowering tree.  I'll rely on G.T.'s investigation and decision.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks tt for a most informative post. We have a Crabapple tree and Junipers living w/i 15 feet from each other. I have never seen the galls on the junipers. Maybe we lucked out and our Crabapple tree is one of the cultivar that is resistant. Now I will be a lot more vigilant observing them.

On a happier note, I spent this morning to wrap and pack 4 tomato seedlings and 3 Jalapeno pepper seedlings (both now tiny plants), that will be USPed to my son in PB. He has a small very sunny balcony, where he grew tomatoes last year. Lots of tomatoes. Could he just have bought plants there? Of course he could. But these are the 4th of July, you don't see much on the veggie seedling stands any more. Besides Mom's touch will make those tomatoes and peppers special. The plant companies send plants everywhere, so why not me? Wish them a safe trip. - Pingo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

I would have no idea how to wrap seedlings to ship, Pingo.  Good for you.  I know your son will be so pleased.  Speaking of tomatoes and plants, I have seen quite tall plants at both S&S and Christmas Tree.  Was tempted to pick up one, but haven't as yet.  Did we get a frost last night?  I know there were warnings of one in certain parts.  I just tumbled out of bed (and I do mean "tumbled") a few minutes ago, so the frost would have melted by now anyway.  I did so well with knitting the bear blanket that I decided to take up work again on the squares afghan I started last Fall.  Evidently I hold myself a certain way when I'm knitting, and boy last night I felt every turn, and this morning I'm listing to the right!  Hoping the hot, hot shower will relieve it enough that I can straighten up.  Five, now six year old granddaughter's birthday is today and going over later for sup and cake.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ew, tt!  That's too bad.  DH uses Neem oil, a gentle, all-purpose insecticide/fungicide/-cide.  Not sure if it would work on that...yuck.

Pingo, how nice of you to send seedlings!  They should be fine, especially with the cool weather for much of the trip.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"Ew, tt!  That's too bad.  DH uses Neem oil, a gentle, all-purpose insecticide/fungicide/-cide.  Not sure if it would work on that...yuck."

Are you talking about using an insecticide on my back?  Or the orange spores on my tree?  I hope the trees!

Off to the shower.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, goodness, the trees!  LOL

Hope you are feeling better and can enjoy the party.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I hope you are feeling better by now. Could it be the cold spell we have? I woke up this morning and felt stiff as a broom stick. Hurting too? Yes. After moving around and doing some stretching exercises, I am now on the mend.

I have ordered and received a few plants from nurseries in the past and remembered, how they shipped them. I put the peat pots in sturdier plastic pots (saved from annuals). Placed tape across the pots, so the plants would not fall out. Then wrapped the pot and seedling in several layers of newspaper to sort of make a tube. Placed them in a sturdy box on layers of newspaper and taped the pots to the box, so they wouldn't move during shipping. Filled the space at the top of the box w/ crumbled newspapers. Then I said good bye to them, closed the box and wished them a safe trip. They should be at their destination tomorrow some time.

I believe, we had frost here last night. My thermometer read 38 at 6 am this morning. Must have been colder during the night. And with the wind factor much colder. My plants are inside, so they will survive. I hope everyone else's will too. One put so much effort into those first little seedlings, it would be such a shame to see them go under. This is why I just didn't bother, but have bought my tomato plants in the past. Except, the 4th of July tomato, which I love - are not easy to find any longer as a nursery plant. New hybrids have taken over.

Happy birthday to your 6 year old granddaughter. Enjoy the party. - Pingo

Sections
Shortcuts