let the gardening begin

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Re: let the gardening begin

I saw flowers on the snap peas..hehe

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claddaugh. Show Claddaugh's posts

tt- love the pictures of the orange menance. A neighbor down the street has them and I thought they were some kind of flower!

I didn't definitively solve the issue with my weeping cherry, but since the leaves started to look eaten, I'm treating with an all purpose insecticide. I looked all over the tree and could only find one small white month. Go figure!

I bought a bunch of plants yesterday at the nursery and the prices were significantly lower than last year. Yay! I'll be going back soon for more.

Happy gardening this weekend. Looks like it should be pretty good weather.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

I must have misread a previous post of yours, Claddough, I thought you had replaced the tree with a maple?  Maybe the tree you're referring to now is the mature one on the other side of the yard?  Looking out the window this morning I can still see what look like brown nuggets where the orange gel monsters were.  Too many and many too high for me to just cut off.  Waiting for G.T. to come up with his advice, probably to wait until Fall and then take some sort of action.

Icer, of all the little sprouts he planted, so far there are only 4 (2 at bush and 2 at foot of wrought iron railing) morning glories coming up.  How are yours doing?  Is it still too early for them to bloom?  When and if mine (few as they are) do bloom, you can bet I'll have a pic to post.

Speaking of pics - - waiting for DIL to take and send a pic of Reese peanut butter cup with her haircut.  I think she's forgotten all about it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

morning glories

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

snap peas

broccoli

spinach

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Nice, icer!  Good photos.

DH just bought 5 more blueberry bushes; we'll have 'em coming out our ears in a few years.  I'll need a freezer just for them...right next to the one I'll need for 12 tomato plants worth of toms.  Looks like we'll have the best weather this growing season to make up for last year.

Have a great drizzly (perfect!) day, all. :)

~kar

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, that sounds just great. Bought a few Blueberries. Just 3 plants to start, to see if they will make it here. If you have too many berries - please send them here. We love them and eat them every morning. 1/2 cup good for you.
    Did you plant your tomatoes already? i am waiting for mine, even though they are on my deck getting hardened up.
    My son's tomato and pepper plants arrived in great condition - a bit shuffled around, but nothing broken. It may seem a bit too much for me to grow and send them, but he has a very tiny apartment - and no place to take care of the seeds and tiny plants. He is excited though - and is looking forward to have Mom's tomatoes.
    He is such a "lucky duck". He signed up for a "farmers half share". Every two weeks he will get fresh from the farm grown veggies and fruit, brought right to him at his office. I am jealous. But of course you have it all in your back yard. You are a "lucky duck" too.
    Ok, off to the doc I go. Wish me luck - Pingo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello all,
    Just came back from the doc with an oh! so sore bum.  He was pleased with the way my first injection worked. Give it time - he said. Going to see him next week to see how things are and then he want to refer me for physical therapy. Oh Lord, growing old is not too much fun.
    Of course Kar, you don't even know, what will be coming your way. I know you are working on a another "project" right now, which eventually will be so much more rewarding. Hoping and praying for success. Bless you!
    - Pingo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, thanks for your continued well wishes!  Yes, we are working on our "project" if you can call it work. ;)

We don't plant our tomatoes until Memorial Day no matter how nice a Spring we have.  It's just too cold at night.

Good luck with your blueberries!  You'll get tons from just 3 bushes in two or three years.

Here are some photos I took this morning with captions underneath:

Day lilies (40?) along the rock retaining wall (and Gracie's holes in foreground)

Wild flower garden (driveway level), apple/peach trees (lower level)

Asparagus

chocolate mint, regular mint, apple trees (front garden), veggie in back

Blueberries

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Great pictures, Kargiver.  You have a beautiful piece of property.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thank you - DH deserves all the credit for everything pictured.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, I know how much work my 12 tomato plants give me. So, a plot like yours would be impossible. But of course, I can't count on "help" from Mr. P. Not that he doesn't want to, but he is hardly home until after dark. You are so lucky, that DH has the time available to put into your yard.
    Your photos are indeed inspiring. Your blueberries do not look to be that old. And you have "tons" already? Something for me to look forward to. Mine are thriving quite well. Can't wait to pick my first few berries. I guess it will be a couple of years before I can count on them.
    I am "dying" to plant my seedlings tomorrow. They have been hardening off quite well on my deck. The ones I planted in a pot last week are doing well, despite the few nights of frost, where we moved them inside.
    Going to HD to get a bird bath for home and some Day Lillys to plant at our office, replacing those our landscaper (actually his non English speaking helpers) pulled up last year. I planted 17 of them and the ones they left in are coming up just beautifully. But there are some gaps, I want to fill out.
    Have a nice weekend - Pingo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, yes, I do not take any of this or my DH for granted; you know with my history, how could I?  How gracious and loving God is.

Our blueberries are a few years old.  The new ones (pictured in pots) are being planted as I type.  I'm supposed to be starting dinner...better get crackin' as DH will be starved.

Great weekend to all of you, too.  We are eager to plant the warm weather crops, too, but hang tight for Memorial Day.  We cheat and buy plants. :)

~kar

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Clump of my wood iris in the morning sun -

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, tt, the color!!!  What great irises and photo of them.  So happy you got the camera...gosh, what we've been missing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

As usual, posting here cut off half the bunch, but by the time I took another shot, the sun had moved.  Anyway, you get the idea.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ladies - I did it!
    My seedlings are now in the ground. I looked and looked at the weather reports and it showed, that the next 10 day would be above 50 degrees. Just hoping for the best.
    I also planted my blueberries and saw, I have room for another 3 plants. So I am going to pick up a few other cultivar. Does that ring a bell Kar?
    3 rose bushes went in as well. We tried to grow roses before, but did not have much luck. Mr. P wanted them, so we are trying again. A friend of mine, who is a horticulturist - told me a long time ago, that if things do not grow in your yard, they are not meant to be - don't try to push it.
    Annuals are in my front beds. All 120 of them. Today was a good day to plant. It is cloudy and tomorrow we expect rain.
    Wish me luck!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I forgot to tell you -- gorgeous Irises you have. It is my DIL's favorite flower. So hard to get on her birthday end of June, when the flowers are gone. My dwarf ones are just about to come into bloom. But my Peonies are almost bursting their buds (if you can call them that). Will have plenty to cut and to give away.
    Ah! Summer is on it's way - Pingo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats, Pingo!!!  Best wishes to all your happy seedlings.  Oh, yes, that does sound familiar!  DH's eyes and talents are bigger than our freezer space.  Laughing

Hm, DH might disagree with that advice; he used Holly Tone  (or Hollytone?) soil acidifier for the blueberries after using a pH soil test that showed it being too basic for them.  Sometimes it's as easy a fix as changing the soil's acidity to make something flourish that was previously doomed.  At times, though, I'm sure that advice is well worth following rather than going too crazy trying to force things to grow.

We are having another batch of asparagus tonight; I think I'll make asparagus risotto.  I have a quick recipe that comes out like the "stir constantly and forever" version in just 30 minutes.  I don't suppose we should broil ALL the asparagus, right?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi Kar,
    We LOVE asparagus. You are so lucky. Wow, picking your own? I guess it takes a few years to have them come up, but after that they are like zucchini. What can i do next with them?
    Thanks for the tip in regard to my new Blueberries. I have heard coffee grounds works well as well. I know, they love acid soil - and believe me, we have plenty of it. So much, that a lot of other things will not grow.

How is Gracie doing? Has she gotten completely used to her new "fence"? I enjoyed seeing her every day, when you (DH) was building her crate.

Hope you are well. Bless you - Pingo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, Dear. :)

It did take a couple of years for the asparagus to produce, but, like you say, now it's coming fast.  I truly would choose it over ice cream.

Thanks for asking about our little pumpkin.  She's doing very well, but still relies on the few remaining flags to mark the boundary.  I don't think she knows that the tone/beeps will help her identify it because she doesn't get close enough to the flags to cause the collar to beep.  The flags in the woods are hardly visible now through the ferns so maybe she'll learn the hard way at some point, but so far so good.  We leave her outside alone quite often, and she seems no worse for wear, usually camped out in her favorite lookout spot on the wall by the bird feeder.  I observe her always stopping long before she gets to the danger zone with many different distractions (dogs barking next door, cars coming up the driveway, sticks flying through the boundary, her boyfriend heading home, etc.).  However, it does tire her; she prefers to nap in her crate which is where she is of her own choice right now snoring away.  When she sleeps outside she doesn't seem to rest as well.

Here's a new photo of her sitting next to the hole she just dug in the day lilies; see all the dirt flung onto the patio?  What a mess she makes!  Good thing DH loves her so much or he'd strangle her. ;)  Oh, you can see the strap on the fence collar here, too.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

OD (oh, dear) what a lovely picture! I am envious - truly. If i get a puppy, could I send him/her to you to be trained? I know, you have a high degree in something, but if looking for work and there is no jobs available in your field, you could always start a business as a dog trainer. LOL
    She looks so majestic in this picture, watching over her property.
    Funny, now thinking of it, our dog never dug holes. At least not in our yard.
    For once I am excited about the rain today. No ned to drag out the hose for my newly planted seedlings. Did go and check on the. They are doing well.
    Have a great day - Pingo

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My math degree is a distant memory not worth much these 20 years later!  Thanks for the vote of confidence, but training Gracie brought me to my wits end, remember?  You get a puppy, you're on your own, kid. ;)  Digging is a breed thing, I think; labs are notorious for it.

So happy your plants are doing well.  The weather sure is cooperating, now.  The garden is so happy to have the moisture and indirect sunlight. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Our first roses of 2010!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Lovely!
    But I think it is the mulch, you put on that did it - Pingo

Sections
Shortcuts