Life without Facebook?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Life without Facebook?

Let's face it. Most of us can't help but log into our Facebook accounts several times a day. But with social media's rise in popularity, has Facebook become more of an addiction than a temporary distraction? Have you considered a Facebook-free life?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Re: Life without Facebook?

I have a Facebook account but tired very quickly with it.  Do i really want everyone to know what I do every minute of the day?  Not that I ever did that, but there are some people that do and I just don't get it.  I especially hate people are using it for invites.  I received a phone call asking why I didn't rsvp to a great nephews birthday party.  Told the mom I didn't get the invite.  She told me she sent them on Facebook.  Sorry, but I expect an invitation in the mail, any other way is just lazy. So call me old fashioned.  I am Facebook free now.  I haven't checked mine in close to a year.  I am probably a rarity I know.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes, BDC - I have a Facebook free life - and I love it!

Amber, no you are not a rarity. I never signed up for an account, even though friends keep asking me to, "So we can get to you better." BS - they have my e-mail, they have all my phone numbers, they have my address and can stop by whenever.

Why do we need to socialize on this evil? Yes, I call it an evil. It cuts off human interactions. I know of parents, that only "socialize" with their children through Facebook. How about a phone call to hear someone's voice for a change.

Well, that is my two cents anyway. Call me old fashioned - so be it - Pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomar8477. Show nomar8477's posts

I think I could quit. Actually I know I can...I did. Facebook is cool I guess. Its a genius idea...but I am 35. I talk to people I want to talk to. If I wanted to communicate with guys I stopped talking to after high school..i would have. I am more than capable of locating a phone number. I stopped talking to people because I chose to. Its nice to get an update on their lives I guess. But I dont really care THAT much. Good tool and idea though. Just not for me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from drh042003. Show drh042003's posts

I've never opened an account.  It just seems like a waste of time.  If I want someone to know something about me, I'll just tell them face to face or on the phone.  I always thought of Facebook as some dumb kid's thing to do.  That's why I'm shocked so many adults spend so much of their time on it. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Amen Pingo!  Especially family, mine is the same way.  It is terrible..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from extremeslalomer8. Show extremeslalomer8's posts

So I am giving up Facebook for lent.. unfortunately I made the mistake of not deactivating emails, etc.  So now I get lots of invites to things and I cannot respond, which is annoying.  I think my generation has a tendency to not get people's real addresses, etc.  I know that for most of my friends on FB I do not even know their email address, which makes it tough to get in touch.  It's really amazing/depressing how much it has taken the place of nice things like hand written letters and phone calls.  
    I think Facebook can be a great tool for connecting with people that you haven't seen in a while and you don't have any other connection with except their name.
    That being said, it too often takes the place of real interaction, which is what drives me crazy, I'd much rather have a face to face conversation then one on FB messages.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from atigias. Show atigias's posts

Yes, I already have a Facebook free life. And it is liberating to *not* know every little detail about everyone's life. And not to have to put my own life on show for everyone else to see/read/comment on. I have nothing against those who are constantly on Facebook - if that makes them happy, so be it. It is not for me, and that is all I can comment on. Not on others' choices. It does look like a lot of people are reevaluating it though. And that is a good sign.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

You control social media, not the other way around.

Once you understand that, it makes life a whole lot easier. It seems that a growing number of people do not.

I've had a Facebook account for years. I log in when I want, but easily can go days, weeks, even months between log-ins. I don't miss much.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

already did. Just went on there to find old friends and lovers. These people are either married like me or I have no interest in them anymore.......

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from grampy18. Show grampy18's posts

Why do you need Facebook? If I want people to know what I am doing I tell them. If I want to know what people are doing I ask them.Life is very simple. Why complicate it.
    We should include Tweeter in this as well.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from whocaresIhavebillstopayonmonday. Show whocaresIhavebillstopayonmonday's posts

I take a break form FB on the weekend.  I want to be refreshed on Monday morning because I use FB to during the week for critical issues that include human rights, fighting animal cruetly, etc.   It works !  Additonally, I make sure that during the Winter I snowshoe and it makes the Winter go by a lot faster.
    Moreover, it's one of the best workouts for all ages !

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from alicia1212. Show alicia1212's posts

I gave up Facebook for Lent. I won't be logging on for a while, and even afterwards I think I'll be less inclined to log in on a daily basis. I was logging in multiple times a day, but I am definitely adjusting to not having it and even kind of like it!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from whit-iii. Show whit-iii's posts

I can't quit because I never got started.  The primary reason I don't is because it mixes professional and personal worlds.  I know of someone who was connected to a college friend as well as some teachers.  The college friend responded to some of the teachers' updates by saying what a joke job they have with easy hours.  I don't need to worry about such idiotic responses to my professional or personal connections.  I also don't need connected people posting partying pictures either.

The frustrating things is professional organizations, schools, etc. are using facebook rather than their own internal page for collaboration between members and I don't want to sign up to use it for the same reasons stated above.  At least on linkedin folks maintain some level of professionalism, but even there some of the posts are questionable.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZNgunZ. Show AZNgunZ's posts

you guys are pathetic.  You don't like facebook because you have no friends and you sign on and are like, hmmm i have no one to look up and no photos of me to look at because I don't get tagged in any.  27 friends and 3 are online...awesome.  Facebook is not for 40 year olds.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

And your immaturity is showing AZNgunZ...  so sad your generation cannot even have a decent conversation with someone or contribute to a public forum without getting nasty.  Looks like you don't get out much and interact with people. You obviously live on FaceBook and you hide behind your words because you can.  Very sad.... oh and did I mention immature?? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedOctober. Show RedOctober's posts

I quit a month after I signed up a few years ago.  I'll risk insulting millions of people here, but I think Facebook is a terrible thing.  It seems to me that it's just a place for people to be selfish and tell everyone about themselves regardless of whether people care.  Kind of like these Forums (I'm guilty).  Facebook is also a major invasion of privacy.  People don't want the goverment tracking their every move with public security cameras, airport scanners, citizenship checks, but they'll bear it all on Facebook without thinking twice.  "The Man" can track you better on Facebook than he could ever on his own.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from punkrockefeller. Show punkrockefeller's posts

Facebook backlash already! I love it!

Like many people, I took up the facebook thing out of curiosity back in '07, liked it for a couple years or so, then found it tedious and useless. Now it is just plain annoying. I still have an account and check in if someone has contacted me directly, but thankfully that is only once every few weeks.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZNgunZ. Show AZNgunZ's posts

no sorry i dont live on facebook and I go out 3 times a week and party hard.  Yes I'm immature.  Are you perfect?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frisco2. Show Frisco2's posts

Nope.  Can't quit something I never started!  And never will; I've seen too many folks get into serious issues over Facebook entries (and texts, blogs, etc.) that would never have happened if they had only spoken FACE to FACE.  There is something seriously lacking with electronic social media.   My feeling is if it ain't out there, there won't be an "oops" moment!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShonShon. Show ShonShon's posts

I think it should be called Minutiae Book.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ProperBostonian. Show ProperBostonian's posts

I log on once a week at most.  Quitting for me would be easy.  Technology and the internet are both wonderful but there are many things we can easily live without and Facebook is at or near the top of the list.  

I am perplexed by the valuation of Facebook: ~ $50B.  You must be joking.  If I were the wunderkid, Mark Zuckerberg, I would sell the company in a heartbeat.  Once folks realize how non-essential Facebook is and how easy it is for another website to take it's place, the company's value will plummet. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jim-in-Littleton. Show Jim-in-Littleton's posts

I gave up on social media when Friendster was new and cool.  Ok, actually I was invited to Friendster, created an account and thought it was a huge waste of time.

Sorry but I don't need to know what all of my friends just ate for lunch, what toy they just bought or where they are going this afternoon.  In the grand scheme of things it just isn't that important.  If something *IS* that important, they can just tell me in person.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bost0n88. Show bost0n88's posts

i like facebook....i like sharing links and videos....i don't really pay attention to people i don't interact with on a daily basis but sometimes they post information that is funny/interesting/important that i enjoy viewing and i pass along to other friends. it is easy to look up things i like such as organizations, movements, celebrities, ect and i can follow along with what is going on with them. i enjoy putting up amusing statuses or inspirtational/motivational quotes, gettin peoples opinions on things...

i think people are too caught up in the negatives of facebook, it serves for many positive and important things....if i didn't have it i probably would have lost touch with many people but it is very convenient to be able to message/write on walls/comment/create events

life is so busy there is not enough time to see everyone you know but in the mean time you can enjoy interaction through facebook until you meet again!

but if someone gets mad that they were cropped out of a picture or you didn't didn't write a good enough birthday post, than they need to re-evaluate themselves.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GaryUnger. Show GaryUnger's posts

Don't FB and never will.  It gives me more time to do important things...like...well like posting things in the Globe forums.

Sections
Shortcuts