Life without Facebook?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from grampy18. Show grampy18's posts

Re: Life without Facebook?

In Response to Re: Life without Facebook?:
    [QUOTE]no sorry i dont live on facebook and I go out 3 times a week and party hard.  Yes I'm immature.  Are you perfect?
    Posted by AZNgunZ[/QUOTE]
    I go out 7 days a week. Party hard for my age. I have been told that I am perfect by my inner self.
    You should relax and enjoy life.
    Try working on your immaturity, you will find that you can have more fun and a lot more friends.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrunoWoohoo. Show BrunoWoohoo's posts

I have a Facebook account that I use intermittently. I find that it's very useful for sharing photos with my family overseas. While this can be accomplished via e-mail, the Facebook interface often makes for more efficient presentation.

On the few occasions where I have been asked by friends nearby about why I don't post updates and information about myself more frequently, I respond by asking them to join me for a drink so that we can catch up. Sometimes, I even let them buy... :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I live a Facebook-free life after a brief stint with a totally anon account so I could participate in the fun without giving anything personal up myself, but I disabled it awhile ago.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Well..I lived the first 40 years of my life without FB..so I suspect I would be just fine if FB ceased to exist tomorrow. It's interesting..but the initial novelty has long since worn off. Sometimes I check every day..sometimes it can be days or weeks before I log in..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from s0xgirl. Show s0xgirl's posts

I like Facebook, and while I do NOT think 40 year olds with 27 friends on Facebook are losers of any kind, I know it is not the same argument as someone like me, who is 21, and grew up where social media is the norm. If I used to contact people via email, real mail, telephone, etc and suddenly things changed, yes I would likely act the way you do.

But the fact that you tend to say Facebook "got rid of" human contact, for me, it was never there. Whether or not that's a bad thing is another story. But I have been online since I was about 5 or 6, using computers in school, at home, for everything. It IS normal, real life now whether you care to admit it or not. And just because a few people like to deactivate their account or never make on in the first place does not in any way alter the future of social media. Not even a little.

So no, I would not give up Facebook. I am a bright girl, I have lots of real life friends, family, coworkers, etc. It does not control my life, in fact, 80% of the time I am really not interested in what's going on with Facebook. But thats where all my friends can be found and contacted in one click of a mouse. It's where my family who live in Florida can see my new haircut or donate to a great cause I'm promoting or be reached for simple conversation. It's a place where, sure, some people definitely over-share and are annoying, but they are the same people who are annoying in real life. Facebook did not make them this way, 2011 made them this way. This is the world you live in and if you want to be bitter about it and pretend like you're better than someone who likes to keep in simple, casual contact with a friend from high school, then I hope your soap box is sturdy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

AZNgunZ - What is a friend? Look it up. Your post shows you don't know, what a "friend" is.
    I rather have a few dependable real friends, than 27 imaginary friends on some cyber space. - Pingo

[QUOTE]you guys are pathetic.  You don't like facebook because you have no friends and you sign on and are like, hmmm i have no one to look up and no photos of me to look at because I don't get tagged in any.  27 friends and 3 are online...awesome.  Facebook is not for 40 year olds.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

I rather have a few dependable real friends, than 27 imaginary friends on some cyber space. - Pingo

Just to play devil's advocate, but isn't that exactly what you do on this forum? Have "imaginary friends on some cyber space"? Just because Facebook isn't your cyber space of choice doesn't make the people you communicate with more or less "friends." In fact, Facebook uses real names, which is much less imaginary than pseudonyms on a message board.

Facebook is just a tool. It has privacy settings that you can personalize for damage control. But people do the same things they do on message boards like this: post minutiae about their lives, including pictures, and share information.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

I tried FaceBook for a day a few years back and gave it up. I found it to be very intrusive and, lets face it, its probably really run by the CIA to collect information on everyone.

Instead I use the grown-up professional version, called Linked-In. Its for work-related stuff only. Definitely not for geeky kids. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZNgunZ. Show AZNgunZ's posts

Pingo how does my post show i have no friends?  I'm 26 and I live on Boston above a bar.  I go out and party with my FRIENDS all the time.  Keeping in touch with friends through facebook doesnt mean I don't have real friends, moron.  My 500 friends on facebook are people I grew up with/work with/went to school with/still see on a weekly basis.  They are not imaginary. 

Plasko - it may be intrusive but you can control what you share.  Linked-In is a good tool too.

S0xgirl is very intelligent.  Two thumbs up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

[QUOTE] I rather have a few dependable real friends, than...imaginary friends on some cyber space. - Pingo In Response to Re: Life without Facebook? :
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Nice going, pingo

Thanks to you, I bet kar and tt are feeling warm and fuzzy inside right now...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

[QUOTE]Pingo how does my post show i have no friends?  I'm 26 and I live on Boston above a bar.  I go out and party with my FRIENDS all the time.  Keeping in touch with friends through facebook doesnt mean I don't have real friends, moron.  My 500 friends on facebook are people I grew up with/work with/went to school with/still see on a weekly basis.  They are not imaginary.  Plasko - it may be intrusive but you can control what you share.  Linked-In is a good tool too. S0xgirl is very intelligent.  Two thumbs up.

AZ:

Dont bother defending yourself to pingo. You will just end up giving yourself a headache

Trust me. I know what I'm talking about...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

If any of you have a spare 22min and want to pee yourself laughing about Facebook then you should watch this:

LOL.
    ;)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

[QUOTE]Pingo how does my post show i have no friends?  I'm 26 and I live on Boston above a bar.  I go out and party with my FRIENDS all the time.  Keeping in touch with friends through facebook doesnt mean I don't have real friends, moron.  My 500 friends on facebook are people I grew up with/work with/went to school with/still see on a weekly basis.  They are not imaginary.  Plasko - it may be intrusive but you can control what you share.  Linked-In is a good tool too. S0xgirl is very intelligent.  Two thumbs up.

Just because S0xgirl refers to herself as "bright", and you agree with her opinions does not make her smart. Not that she isn't, but the determination of intelligence should not be based on your agreement with someone on issues. Thats just silly. 
    I must admit that the very first question Facebook ever asked me was to give it control over my email address so that it can suck out all my email contacts and spy on me. We are trained from an early age to be cyber-security conscious so I was appalled that people would give some random website access to their most precious of things - email login and password! That very first question left a bitter taste in my mouth and then I decided that there were ulterior motives for the existence of Facebook. Right now there are programs at NSA creeping through Facebook analyzing everything thats going on. I don't fancy being intruded upon like that (I am normally a quiet and private person). Not that I have a life worthy of their interest, mind you. Its just knowing that its going on that I do not like.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Robin, all you need is an account to be able to log into to view others' things.  I have a dummy account (or had, anyway, it's inactive right now) with a name "Kar Giver."  No picture, info, nothing.  I also went in and made all my security settings as tight as possible.  That way I could keep up with people who ONLY used FB to post pics and keep up without any of the privacy concerns for myself.  Just let your friends know if you're not interested in using FB to its fullest potential, just to view their pictures, and I'm sure they'll understand.  You can communicate with them under your pseudoname and ask that they don't call you by your real name or tell them you'd rather talk about their vacation photos in person/email/phone...somewhere other than FB.

As for the pros and cons, that's a personal call.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I've never set up an account on that either.  Mainly because I know my grown sons are all on that and I don't want to be privy to their postings and have them feel "Ma" is reading this.  That might not even be how it works, but my email does it for me - not looking for any long lost schoolmates or anything.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, if you ever did want an account (for who knows what reason in the future) you could still stay snoop free on your sons.  They wouldn't have to know about your account (you can create an account with a pseudonym), and that way there's no pressure on them to invite you to "friend" them and you can't snoop unless they have their privacy settings such that non-friends can see all their private postings.  Not too many people set it up so everyone can see all their personal stuff.

Robin, I did it the way I described, totally anon and devoid of my own information, and I ended up still regretting it and wanting to delete my Kar Giver account and go on my merry FB-free way.  BUT, the bad thing is that you cannot delete your account.  You can deactivate it (making it invisible to all searches), but if you ever try to log back in after deactiving your account it reactivates automatically. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

"Let's face it. Most of us can't help but log into our Facebook accounts several times a day."

Fewer than several times a month for this reindeer. I go for sharing good tunes; talking to good friends; I belong to two artsy groups on FB - but only because those groups migrated from MySpace, which used to be the place to be.

My h.s. reunion committee posts on FB and only FB. Because of that, I learned whom we lost, andthe survivors were able to mourn together. I had the sad task of posting when my beloved friend died - and all her siblings (genetic illness).

FB has its uses; I don't live there (like I clearly do here).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e. Show 2ada63d622e89774a9fdcbc90527ab8e's posts

I'm with Reindeer on this, although I do check once a day at a minimum. FB doesn't keep me from having relationships that include seeing people in person, emailing and talking on the phone. It does allow me to be involved in the lives of certain of my relatives, especially when it comes to baby pictures and postings about children. I used to see my nieces and nephews once a year or less, having received a card with a photo of a scrunched up newborn when each was born. Now I get pictures of my great nieces and nephews as they grow up and I absolutely love it. I also get news and pictures of events that I can't attend and get enjoyment from that. I also get a bit of high school class news, but most of that I get via email. Two of my grad school study group members post regularly about their families. Almost all of my FB friends live out of state; there is no way I'd be able to keep up this level of relationship through email and phone calls.

My younger relatives always want to see our travel pix, but don't want to go to other sites to see them, so I post them on FB. 

Unlike a poster above, I don't engage in ethical, political or religious discussions on FB and I'm not shy about letting people know that. I'll occasionally post something related to current events, but generally I keep away from controversial subjects.

I do agree about the lack of privacy, but I tighten the privacy settings as much as I can on a regular basis. In terms of email addresses and privacy, email addresses aren't very hard to get so I doubt that using one for FB and then having it not posted is particularly risky. I do use my real name but have hidden the page from searches, so if you search with my name you don't find my page.

To me, FB is a tool and it is the primary one used by a number of people I care about. I grew up in a small town where everyone knew your business and with a party-line phone with six families on it. Perhaps I have a lowered expectation of privacy in communications because of that and act accordingly.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sugarxo. Show sugarxo's posts

I use facebook more as a tool to keep in touch with friends across the country and world.... I am not addicted to it by any means, but I do find it entertaining.
    I also use it to promote blog posts , because like it or not, millions of people are on facebook.

I could definitely live without facebook, but it is my choice not to!

AGirlMustShop.com
    and 

Sections
Shortcuts