Loseit!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Loseit!

Pingo, I know, it's a surprising "problem" to have, and while I'm not complaining, per se, it's proving difficult for me to trust that I must increase the budget and purposeful about hitting it.

you are doing excellent, as well, and have no need for the scale this week to know you are on track because you are logging.  Even if the food is saltier than usual and you retain a bit of water (and might find you are temporarily heavier upon your return because of that), fat loss will be going on even so because of your mindful eating and logging.  Your vacation won't be compromised AND you'll keep up your weight loss success because, yes, you have already won the battle by changing your overall approach to food and portions.  It's too bad that people believe that if you count calories you can't enjoy your favorite foods anymore - nothing could be further from the truth!  It's all about eating what you enjoy, sharing what everyone else is eating, and still making your goals!  GREAT JOB!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

JC, I did 12 lbs in 5.5 weeks on LoseIt and have lost 2 more since intending to maintain.  I've recently increased my maintenance budget with the hope I find the magic number that means no loss and no gain.  It's not good if you are looking for a structured program. It's completely structure free.  That's what worked about it for me.  I grabbed my measuring cups, spoons, and digital kitchen scale and kept to my budget (net, not daily) without avoiding one single thing I've wanted to eat.  That was it.  You have to add your activity, too, because it assumes none when it gives you your very, unhealthily low budget.  I ate about 1100 a day when I was losing, and their no-activity daily budget was a too low 900.  Since I averaged 250 calories of exercise a day and ate it back, I was fine.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

It is hard still for me.

I am having a hard time logging but keeping at it.  I am not a fan of weighing in each day but think I need to for a bit........  I am good for a few days and then not good.

So needless to say I have not lost an ounce.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Allready, I think not gaining is in and of itself a success.  It's not where you ultimately want to be, but you know what is preventing that for now.  You are obviously being more mindful even when you aren't logging or you'd be gaining.  be patient with yourself.  Celebrate your incremental successes because each change in the right direction gets you closer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

This is the only diet that has ever worked for me, I would go crazy if I had to count calories or weigh my food.

The Mayo Clinic Grapefruit Diet Menu Plan

The menu plan is as follows:

Breakfast
    - One-half grapefruit or eight ounces of juice (unsweetened)
    - Two eggs cooked to your preference
    - Two bacon slices
    - coffee or tea (black)

Lunch
    - One-half grapefruit or eight ounces of juice (unsweetened)
    - Raw veggies or salad and your preference in salad dressing
    - Your choice of meat

Dinner
    - Your choice of meat
    - Red or green vegetables (cook veggies in butter) or raw vegetables or a salad
    - coffee or tea (black)

Bedtime Snack
    Eight ounces of skim milk or tomato juice

Foods You Cannot Have

Potatoes, peas, celery, cereal, corn, carrots, starchy vegetables, rice, bread, noodles, pretzels, fruit and diet salad dressing.

The Mayo Clinic Grapefruit Diet Plan Instructions

The plan supports the theory of combination foods burning fat. You eat until you are full and you aren't to eliminate any foods from the plan. The grapefruit is the stimulus that starts the fat burning process.

Cut back on your coffee, limit it to one cup per meal. Do not snack between meals.

They claim fat doesn't form fat, it helps burn fat. Using butter and frying foods in butter is allowed. Sugars and starches are eliminated.

You may double or triple the servings of meat and vegetables. Eat until you are completely satisfied. They claim the more you eat, the more weight you will lose.

You must drink one-half gallon of water per day. Soft drinks must be sugar and caffeine free.

You will be on the Mayo Clinic Grapfruit Diet for twelve days and off for two days.

The Cons

It isn't a healthy diet, it is too limited in carbohydrates. This would cause low energy, possibly fatigue. The idea that eating grapefruit burns fat is unfounded.

It is nutritionally unbalanced and encourages high fat foods which are associated with heart disease. Complex carbohydrates are the body's major source of energy and they are eliminated.

Even though it's called the Mayo Clinic diet, it is not endorsed by the "Mayo Clinic." According to the web site, they have produced the book, "Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight for EveryBody" and this is the only diet program by them.

For the real Mayo Clinic Diet supported by clinical research click here

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

The one thing I do not do is yooyoo which is great as you say.

Just need to buckle down!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Allready, if you don't yoyo, you're a measuring cup away from success. :)

JC, yes, it's a website, but it's also an app.  Pingo uses the website, and I use the app for my iPad.  I like being able to scan barcodes on the app, but it's not necessary.

I find counting, measuring, and weighing everything more like a hobby than drudgery.  I do have a degree in math, though, so one can easily see why this would be up my alley, and I can easily see why it wouldn't be fun for everyone.

i like that it's not a program, it's a calorie budget - you can nibble on WHATEVER fits in your budget and in whatever amount.

ETA:  I'm (hopefully obviously) not saying anyone needs a math degree to do this program...just saying why it appeals so much to me.  Anything that works by numbers and physics makes me happy.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Note what I said about how they calculate the budget.  It's far too low because they expect you to add in your calories from exercise and eat no less than 1200.  I actually averaged 1100 when I was losing over the whole loss period, but their budget for me was 8-900.  Too little, but they explain that, sort of, in the behind the scenes "read more about..." links in the Goals section.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I have a friend in town that I walk with regularly that has used livestrong.com the same way to lose 60 lbs since last May.  She's down to a 4/6 and in her mid 50s and has 3 adult kids.  She said she can't remember seeing this number! 

my mom has tried a number of apps like this and likes LoseIt the best.  Of course, they all require measuring and weighing...logging everything accurately is the cornerstone of success with these things.  I got a digital 11 lb cap kitchen scale for Christmas...Santa thinks I've been a VERY good girl, lol.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Uhu! Kar, she lost another 10 pounds? Wonderful and congrats! 
    I can only agree with everything Kar mentioned. This is the easiest diet, I have ever been on - and the results shows. Right now not being at home , I am not hopping on the scale, but I still log, and I believe this is what makes this diet successful.

So successful, that I have to bring back the 3 pair of pants, I purchased down here 2 days ago, for yet a smaller size. The ones I purchased were too loose. Since they are exactly the same as I wear everyday, I had just picked them up (one size smaller) w/o trying them on. So now I am down 2 sizes in about 8 weeks.

Robin, the grapefruit diet you mentioned, is only good, if you are allowed to have grapefruit. Many, myself included, are not. Besides, I don't think it is healthy. Glad you had success with it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I made sure I got enough so as to keep my energy and metabolism up while I was losing.  If I had just eaten the original budget I'd have starved!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, I continue to be so impressed and happy for you.  Two sizes in 8 weeks, and you haven't deprived yourself, either, through the holidays or on vacation!  Calories and the physics of how our bodies store and use energy cannot fail, and you are excellent proof.  Congrats and three cheers!!!!  And, yup, she's lost another 10 to achieve success that she originally thought was totally unattainable.

I want to eat what I want to eat.  And, this is how I can do it and still live my health and weight goals.  It's exactly like a bank account with a debit card.  Spend what you want on whatever you want, being mindful of the budget and what you really need and want.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Oh, that's right,  I forgot everyone's on statins nowadays!  Too bad.

The grapefruit diet has been around since the 1930s and is still very popular in Hollywood among performers and models that have to lose a few pounds quickly.

Whatever works...

Of course you would still have to use common sense to keep it off afterwards.

BTW:  I made Pingo's cabbage soup today, except I added a cup of whole wheat rigatoni and sauteed a little garlic in with the onion, delicious!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

1200 calories is so little a day.  Even if you work out and can add another few hundred still 1500 a day is low.  Very hard to keep in that range and not be hungry.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I didn't find it hard, but I make sure to eat a lot of vegetables, fruit, salad, and 1/2 c servings of whole grains.  It's also a lot harder if you're not measuring, planning, and logging because you can accidentally overdo it by 2:00 and then you're in trouble.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's only easy if you really do it 100%.  Ironically, as long as you are half heartedly logging (which might seem easier than doing it whole hog) you'll find it more frustrating than easy.  I applaud your trying and doing what you can, but making the full effort pays off in more than just weight loss, it makes it easier overall as counterintuitive as that might seem.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's what you can expect to lose if you log everything and do so accurately.  There's a recipe feature that allows you to know exactly how many calories are in what you threw together with whatever was in the fridge for dinner. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Allready, 1200 - 1500 cal/day is plenty, when you are dieting. You won't be hungry, if you eat the right things. I am more often under my budget than not. And that is w/o trying.

Jeepers, hope you will join us. The Loseit! is easy and fun. And best of all, you see results right away, if you stick to the logging. After a while, you get used to it. Planning ahead is also a valuable tool. If you are going out to eat f.ex., you can look up the menu on their website ahead of time and see what entre etc. - or figure out how much of it - will be allowed w/i your budget. I know, Kar measure everything. I did that in the beginning, but now a know pretty well, or at least enough to measure by eye. When in doubt, I bring out my measuring cups.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo and I have had similar awesome results because we DoIt! 100%.  DoIt! and LoseIt!

and, I agree, if you're eating nutrient and fiber dense food, 1200 is filling.  I'm having trouble eating more than 1500 so am continuing to lose even having more than met my goal.  I'm losing my boooobs!  Noooooooo!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

I am sure it is mind games as well.  Diet = hungry:0

Well I have said this before but I am 100% as of today!  I can do it.   You ladies keep up the good work and keep me on track.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Just entered in a couple "lunch" recipes.  Now I know the calories associated with it.  I am going to meal plan for breakfast, lunch and snack at least for now.  Dinner will more mindful or portion control but at least will know calorie count up to then M-F.  Weekends will be a bit more difficult but again will be more mindful.

Sections
Shortcuts