Loseit!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Loseit!

How's everyone doing?  We are almost through February - where are the resolutioners?  I thought more people would notice the thread and join for fun and support.

Anyway, here's a surprise.  I've apparently hit on a secret diet combo - mu shu pork, kung pau chicken, and buffalo chicken pizza with black olives and feta.  This morning I was so light my scale decided I had to be "Person 3."  I fell not only below my average maintenance weight, I fell a full pound below my lowest recorded weight since I started LoseIt.

Ah, the teakettle - time to make the coffee.  

What's happening with you guys?  Spring clothes are being advertised - Pingo, your clothes from last year will all be too big.  Let's go shopping. :)

ETA:  Oh, and I didn't exactly fast the whole day I posted that, either; I got hungry, lol.

ETA2:  I'm starting to feel kind of panicky.  I thought the numbers had me on track not having lost for 2 weeks, and to have to increase the budget, again, has me in tears.  I already feel like I'm eating a lot at 1850.  1900?  I can't do it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Bumped it up to 1915, a virtual daily feast!  It would have really helped if LoseIt had been more on target - starting me at 1650 really was a disaster.  

Let my experience be a warning to everyone - when you hit your goal, LoseIt assumes you do NO ACTIVITY so go immediately to www.livestrong.com where you can calculate your own maintenance budget based on your age, gender, weight, AND activity level.  Then, before a single day passes increase your LoseIt maintenance budget manually to that amount.  This has not been fun.  Had it accounted for activity and started me here I'd be having a ball, same as when I was losing on purpose.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks for checking w/ us, Kar. I am doing ok. Slowly but safely losing. I just don't post here too often. 0.2 pounds here and there is not much excitement.
    I also thought more people would have joined us. Maybe they are - on the sly.
    You need to up your calorie intake, Kar. A bag of bones is not desirable. I know, you know that. I also feel too comfortable with what I eat these days, that I am not sure I can eat more, when I go on maintenance.
    Re clothes, I am looking and looking. Lots of sales. I love to order on the net, but these days, I need to try them on. My body has changed, so it is not just going down a size or two. I am not a mall person and I just hate to go clothes shopping and trying on and on in a tiny dressing room.
    Right now with the winter clothes, I am doing ok. Pants are loose and sweaters are baggy. But come Spring/Summer, I need to get my act together. I am planing on doing some shopping, when we go to TX in April. There they have lots lots more warm weather stuff.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think 0.2 lbs here and there IS exciting and encouraging to everyone - please post your story as you go along!  

I know what you mean, I need to go try things on, now, too.  Would love to be able to shop in TX with you, how much fun we'd have - a lot more fun than trudging to tiny, stuffy dressing rooms alone, lol.  Your DIL will go with you, right?  Make a fun day of it. 

you have to prepare yourself better than I did to eat more or you, too, will keep losing after hitting your goal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, I think your experience is a lesson for every dieter. Thanks for posting about it.
    Could you possibly do less exercise? Like instead of walking 4 miles, maybe you could do just 3. Or maybe just walk every other day. Don't forget, you do get a lot of exercise too, just by keeping your home in shape. Hoping for you, your new budget will help you. Even though it is 1000 calories more than your losing budget. Wow, 1000 calories. How can you eat that much and still eat healthy? 1000 calories is truck loads of spinach. LOL

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Went to that web site. And got, "How to Cook Spareribs in a Pressure Cooker". That's all I need. LOL

In response to kargiver's comment:

Bumped it up to 1915, a virtual daily feast!  It would have really helped if LoseIt had been more on target - starting me at 1650 really was a disaster.  

Let my experience be a warning to everyone - when you hit your goal, LoseIt assumes you do NO ACTIVITY so go immediately to www.livestrong.com where you can calculate your own maintenance budget based on your age, gender, weight, AND activity level.  Then, before a single day passes increase your LoseIt maintenance budget manually to that amount.  This has not been fun.  Had it accounted for activity and started me here I'd be having a ball, same as when I was losing on purpose.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL, I know, it is a lot. I have to increase my complex carbs.  My sprouted Ezekiel flour came, and I'll be making biscuits tomorrow and will give bread a whirl without a breadmaker - I burned mine out and haven't replaced it yet.  I also like quinoa, farro, etc.  That will make it a nutritious increase and give me great energy, fiber, and vitamins.

Part of why I walk so far is to exercise Gracie, too.  When we go fewer times a week or less per walk she starts to pack on the pounds and doesn't sleep as well for having done nothing all day.  She doesn't help me clean the house, unfortunately. ;)

I can do this healthfully, but it would have been so much easier had LoseIt asked me about my activity level and not left it all to me to manually increase it.  

I'm glad my story is helpful - I feel a little self conscious about blathering on especially about having trouble NOT losing weight, lol, but my goal here has always been to be transparent about my journey so others can learn from my experiences and mistakes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL!!!  I just went to www.livestrong.com and got what I expected so I don't know what happened for you, Pingo.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Kar-you motivated me to join you guys up here.

I'm figuring on setting smaller goals-like pre DS weight-that's 15 lbs...then from there the weight I met DH at...smaller more attainable goals than the big ultimate goal.

hopefully the accountability here will be what I need. in the past I dropped 20 lbs with weight watchers. but two kids, and a different work schedule makes attending meetings difficult.

DH and I have been trying to eat less. we switched to salad plates for all meals. DH has already dropped a pant size-me no change.

So, let the loss begin!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Tip: Don't eat anything after 4 pm, or at least 6 hours prior to bedtime.

Water or seltzer water only (no sugar/artificial sweetners/caffeine) at night, except for the occasional cocktail/glass of wine of course!

It makes a BIG difference.

ETA: Don't skip breakfast and make supper your lightest meal.

If you must have something that is forbidden....like a muffin (all sugar) do it early in the day.

Writing down everything you eat on a pad of paper has the same effect as logging...you become aware of how much you are consuming and unhealthy habits become obvious...even if you don't note calories.

I figured this out years ago when an acupuncturist had me do it to identify headache triggers.

(Anyway, this is what has worked for me)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Welcome, Kam. Glad you are joining us, and you will be too, when you see the pounds dropping off. Log in, log in, log in - that's the motto here.
    Good luck!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Welcome KAM!  

I eat whenever and whatever I want, and the key to my success has been to LOG EVERYTHING.  This allows me to go to a party, have fun, and then know exactly what I need to do to undo any overages.  This is not a diet or a plan with any rules other than measuring and logging calories, It is just a basic harnessing of the knowledge of the physics of fat loss and gain - calories, calories, calories.  I lost my 14 lbs from Nov 11 - mid December, right thorough the holiday season, and I didn't miss a single thing I wanted to do or eat.  If I want a cookie at 10 pm, I eat it and log it.  

pingo had excellent success by setting a short term goal of 10 pounds. She immediately started logging 100% and the weight fell off.  She's now reset her goal to be where she ultimately wants to end up, I think.  Pingo, correct me if I'm wrong.

KAM, I'm so glad you joined us!  Are you using LoseIt or another calorie counting app/site?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Whoops, 16 lbs, now.  Having a little trouble with maintenance.

counting calories isn't for everyone, but if it's for you it's all you need to do - no other rules make any difference.  If you don't want to measure, weigh, and log everything you have to follow some other guidelines to lose weight that inadvertently lead to eating fewer calories.  You don't have to do both.  people will often bemoan counting everything, but it really does free you to do anything you want and be 100% flexible - there are no rules to be broken.  I literally lost 2 lbs eating only Chinese takeout and pizza for 5 days straight while my DH was away and I took a ktichen vacation.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

I'm using loseit. My last big weigth loss success was with WW and recording everything. So I know the benefits of it.

My problem is some days eating all the caloires loseits says I need to eat to lose-but I don't lose...Logging everything I plan on eating today, without my exercise, I still have 300 calories to eat, and if I log my gym time tonight...that will be an additional 300 calories! That's an entire big meal for me.

I'm determined to be successful this time!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Welcome!

Sorry for the lack of posts but I am week post it gal.

As for me I am doing better logging during the week.  Weekends harder.  Still mindful of what I am eating and exercising.  Also trying to increase my fluid intake.  Goal is 10 lbs for me by end of April.

Kar, would love to be in your shoes right now with the weight just falling off:)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Allready, I know, but your weight will do just that when you've worked up to logging 100% such that you are always in control and only eating your budget.  You're getting closer and closer to that point...I'm pulling for you and am confident that you'll meet your goal.  Once you are logging everything and have met your goal you'll have the same dilemma of maintenance that I have - it's going from sledding to walking a high wire.  

You are going to make it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think what happened this week was that I grossly underestimated the calories in the Chinese food, and since that was all I was eating, the hidden deficits added up to weight loss.  Yes, I went online and averaged all the results I found, but that's the only explanation.  I'd maintained too long on 1850 for it to be wrong.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

That is a good point.  I "think" most of the time I over estimate.  If I add something and think the calories are too low I add a portion of the serving.  It is tricky sometimes for sure.

So................. let me go log:)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've heard that 60% of calorie counters unknowingly underestimate their calories and then, of course, eat more than they think they do, fail, and don't know why.  But, of course, you could be overestimating.  However, before you double up on stuff make reasonably sure that's the case.  The key to calorie counting success is accuracy.  This is why as inconvenient as it might be, I weigh and measure everything and I generally eat what I've prepared so I know what's in there.  The Chinese was literally a guess based on P.F. Chang's menu and definitely had a potential for being way off.  Maybe they use more oil than our local joint...that would do it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I don't like the words "counting calories". I have done it, and it doesn't work for me. With "Loseit!" you don't count the calories; the system does it for you, as long as you log in every morsel you put in your mouth.
    Writing down everything you eat on a piece of paper, doesn't work for me either. I did that too, under a nutritionist's guidance.
    Also, you must measure everything, in order to be successful. Measuring by eye doesn't count. 1 cup can very easily become 1-1/2 cup. Also small, medium or large depends on who is loking at it. I had success with this system, because measuring and loggin became a part of my routine. A pain in you know what in the beginning, until I got the hang of it. But now I just don't think about it any longer. And Loseit!'s visual effects make you keep going.
    Wishing you all much success!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

People have been writing stuff down on pads of paper for thousands of years, and a little simple math never hurt anyone either, so sorry you find it difficult!

"To each his own"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I wasn't motivated to record everything when I used a notebook, either; I find LoseIt to be more of a fun game.  My only difficulty has been in trying to figure out what I need to eat to not gain and not lose.  I think I found it (1850) but a mistake with the Chinese food caused an unintentional and unexpected drop.

I use "counting calories" loosely since the program really does do most of the work - I mean it to generally reflect that we are not following any diet or program, just harnessing the power of energy use and storage.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Did I say difficult? Don't think so.
    I am glad it worked for you and others. I didn't find it difficult at all to write down what I ate and I am good at math too. It just didn't work for me as far as losing weight.

In response to Robin39's comment:

People have been writing stuff down on pads of paper for thousands of years, and a little simple math never hurt anyone either, so sorry you find it difficult!

"To each his own"

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You'd think I'd be sick of Chinese, but the TJ's egg rolls (chicken) are sooooo yummy!  I cook them at a higher temp and for longer, though.  Not hot and rather soggy cooked according to directions.  200 calories of fabulousness.

eta: whoops, 140 calories of fabulousness!  I should have bought more of these...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Btw:  Smoothies are very high in calories (I don't care what your gadgets tell you)  concentrated fruit/fructose.....one of the few things that can actually cause me to gain weight!  lol

You might as well have a banana split imo

I'm stepping out  now, have a nice day.