Loseit!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Loseit!

Heck, at least have two ribs. :)

Remember, too, that a pound of fat can only be put on by not burning a whopping 3500 calories you've eaten - far more than any one meal, even out, contains.  So, things like dim sum and such can't do real damage if it's a once in awhile treat.

Definitely, if you want to lose 20, make that your goal because if you keep doing what you're doing you'll get there for sure.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

I have never used the recipe section of myfitness pal.  Yesterday I did enter in two recipes and will enter in more for the "regular" foods I tend to eat.  Very easy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good for you Allready, that will help you a lot.

Kar, I did have two ribs, and stayed under my budget. The RoL was fabulous as usual. One wouldn't think it could be improved, but last night instead of drizzeling the butter on the top, I mixed the melted butter in with bread crumbs, garlic and rosemary in the food processor. I got a fabulous crust. Much more evenly browned. I think you would like it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Lost the water weight from NY's, and have settled back to 1.2 lbs under my goal.  0.8 lbs above my lowest weight moment of the last 15 years, and the holidays and leftovers are behind us.  Yahoo!  Thanks for the support and encouragement, fellow calorie counting buddies!

It's been taking exactly the same effort to maintain as it did to lose - the only difference is the target budget.  And, I could easily exceed it now that I'm used to the new ceiling...kind of like getting a raise.  At first you feel rich, but slowly you adjust to the new amount and it doesn't seem like quite so much.  Not that it isn't enough, per se, but that's human nature, I think, always wanting more.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, sat on my post awhile and missed yours 'til now.

great job limiting yourself to two ribs!  I knew the damage ahead of time and still ate 4, lol.  I was WAY over budget!  I'll definitely add the butter to the food processor next time.  When I drizzle it, some rolls off into the pan.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Missed yours, too, allready.  That's great!  I LOVE the recipe feature since how much I cook always ended up derailing my calorie counting efforts.  I didn't care for guessing how many calories were in my recipes so eventually quit.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Making cabbage soup right now. DS asked for it. Will have that for lunch, before he leaves with some leftover whole wheat rolls from our last Christmas party.
    I am quite please with my staying on "maintenance". Tomorrow, I will have to go back on track. I am resetting my goal to 20 pounds. Whatever it takes. I know now, I can do it.
    With your support, it has been easy. So, please don't leave me. I know you, Kar, is doing a heck of a job. I am so happy for you.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, Pingo, you know how and that with persistence with logging you can make 20 lbs by mid year.  I'll be here - I need to keep logging if I'm going to keep maintaining. :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Is it "feed a cold?"  It must be because all I want to do is eat...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Oh dear I have logged and over!

Must do better!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yup, that's why it works - exposure and accountability!  Good job logging - keep it up!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

It does make you think.

Kills me how many calories stuff has and the portion so small..........

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's why it's so easy to gain weight and "not know why."  But, the good news is that it's also the reason why it's so easy to lose weight, too.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Back on track! Went to our office after we dropped son off at the airport. Spent a couple of hours there. We were both hungry, when we left, so DH decided to "grab something" on the way home. He had the prime rib, which I usually order, when eating out. But I was good and had a turkey burger. Didn't eat the bun, but did have a glas of wine. Scale was down 0.4 pounds this morning. Yea!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Great job, Pingo!  20 lbs seems more doable now, doesn't it?  One good choice at a time, one logged day at a time, and before you know it you'll be maintaining your goal weight.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LoseIt has everything at subway as individual choices so you can build your sandwich exactly the way you want and get the calories exactly right.  Load your subs up with veggies for no calories!  A six inch sub piece of chicken is only 95 and sub roll just over 200.  Yummy!  I put the 240 chips back in the rack.  Yikes, no wonder I gain weight when I'm not counting.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

That is great to know, Kar. There is no Subway close by, so I don't go there often, but now that I know I easily can make my sandwiches ahead, I might just go there more often. I am not a chips fan. So that will be easy for me to overlook. But DH is. He can't eat any sandwich w/o them.
    For the past two days I am on a holding pattern, so I did not have anyting to report.

Making ham hocks in my pressure cooker tonight. Ham hocks and cabbage. A 3 hour plus ordeal, will shrink into 40 minutes. Not bad. There is not very much meat on a ham hock, so as long as I leave out the fatty stuff, I will be ok. Will serve them with pickled beets, which I am about to make right now and hot mustard. It is a delicacy from my home country and DH loves it. Just very hard to find fresh ham hocks, so whenever I see them, I pick them up and freeze them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I don't go often, either, but I was waiting in Walmart for quite awhile at lunchtime and it was there...and delicious!

You've been in an unusually long losing streak so it's totally expected that you'd hold for a couple of days before another drop.  Be encouraged by the pattern you've come to know. :)

your dinner sounds superb!  Enjoy, my friend.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Good job pingo.  I often will order a turkey burger and not eat bun or order a fried fish sandwich at certain places we do like to go and not eat the whole bun. 

Well I am trying to at least plan my breakfast and lunches better Mon-Fri. Dinner just trying to limit portions as I am not the chef in the house:)  Weekends will try to monitor as well but we do tend to go out to eat.  Bumped up workouts as I mentioned earlier. 

I have yet to decide how often I will weigh myself as I do have a quite a few fluctuations and it can be discouraging.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Allready, you are on the right track and doing great.  Limiting portions WILL get you there essentially no matter what is prepared as long as you have fruit and veggie snacks in between meals to make up for not having enough for dinner (if you can only afford very small portions of high calorie options).

as for weighing yourself, remember, you weight is made up of far more components than fat.  Yet, fluctuations in water weight can, indeed, be discouraging nonetheless. The longer you go between weigh ins the more you are accounting for non-fat driven fluctuations.  However, we all need that accountability so there's the rub.    I believe that your relative weight changes will be most often due to true fat loss or gain if you can do it once a week, and that should give you enough feedback to know if you're on track.  

However, if you are driven to weigh yourself every day there are a couple of things you can do to guard against discouragement.  You can buy a body composition scale so you can see your % body fat along with your weight.  If you go up 2 lbs overnight but your %body fat stays the same you can obviously conclude it's all retained water or you're due to use the restroom, lol.  Another thing you can do to ward of emotional dips is to keep a sharp eye on your weekly graphs.  If you are logging everything accurately and have stayed within your calorie budget there's no physical way your body stored fat - it burned everything it got to eat and more to fuel your week.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

And, by the way, I do option 2.  I weigh in every morning after I use the restroom and before I eat or drink anything, and if I have a surprising and/or disappointing weight I review my intake since the last weigh in.  If I've been over budget I assume maybe I really gained fat and am driven to go under budget until it goes back down.  Otherwise, I know I haven't gained actual fat and let it go.  I've had positive reinforcement for these conclusions - weight gain with overeating has been real.  Weight gain after being under budget has been temporary.  So, slowly I've gotten over panicking for nothing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

How is everyone doing and feeling?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Doing and feeling well. Still on a holding pattern this morning, even though the needle was towards the downward side. Had Chinese food last night, so I will up the water intake today. Should see some nice result tomorrow.
    How are you doing, Kar? Cold, cough and all.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Great job, Pingo.  Isn't it great we can eat whatever we want (like "fattening" Chinese food) and still be in control and lose weight?!

I'm doing well, too, thanks.  Despite the cold and not being as active, I've been able to easily account for that in LoseIt, and I just earned the "Rock Steady" badge for maintaining my goal (under, actually) for 4 whole weeks!  Now, I don't want to be at my goal - I like it right where I am, and my body doesn't seem to mind; it's been a breeze to maintain, and 1700 calories still feels like more than enough.

off to earn more for dinner with an earlier than usual walk with Gracie to get it out of the way.

allready?  What's happening?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

So the scale finally moved the right way. Not much, but downwards.
    Yesterday, I skipped through a magazine, while waiting in line. My eyes popped. So I bought it. There are foods, we think are healty for us, that actually make us gain. It has something to do with sensitivity to certain foods and their inflamatory chemicals damaging the intestinal lining, so the cell's ability to use insulin is hindered. That results in more sugar stored as belly fat.

Here are some of the culprits: nix asparagus - pick broccoli
                                                nix shrimps - pick scallops
                                                nix oatmeal - pick cream of rice
                                                nix cauliflower  - pick potatoes
                                                nix turkey - pick chicken or steak
                                                nix greek yogurt - pick goat milk cheese

Unfortunalely, I am totally on the nixing side. That's more or less, what I have been living on in the past. Will try to switch, which will be difficult b/c they are all my favorites. :(

Sections
Shortcuts