Maine Travelers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Maine Travelers

I have a question for all my board friends that like to vacation in Maine.  Are any of you familiar with Camden.  If so, any recommendations for lodging.  Has anyone stayed at The Anchorage Inn in Ogunquit?  I am looking for a get away weekend with my daughters.  We have stayed at the Cliffhouse but would like to try something new.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

putt

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Re: Maine Travelers

Hi putt -

Although I go to Ogunquit frequently, I rarely stay the night.  Usually, it's dinner and a trip to the Playhouse. However, I asked my neighbors who stay at the Anchorage and they like it a lot. For dinner in Ogunquit, I like Jackie's and 50 Shore.

Can't help you with Camden.  I've driven through, that's about it.

mothermitzi 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Thanks mothermitzi -good to hear from you - do you know about how far Camden is from Ogunquit?

putt

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh, Camden - such a beautiful and quaint little place. We just loved it there. We  went a couple of years ago as a family and stayed at a resort about 10 miles from Camden. Samoset Resort, Rockport, ME.  It is quite well known. But we went for a drive  to Camden and were so sorry, that we had not booked a place there.
    Our boys and our DIL went for a boat ride, and I have beautiful pictures from that ride. My DIL had one enlarged and framed. I shows our two boys hoisting the sails.
    While they were boating, Mr. P and I went to look at the small shops on the Main Street. In fact Mr. P bought a very nice wind breaker there. He loves it. It is coming to Ireland with us. 
    In the evening we had lobster at a restaurant right at the edge of the ocean. The deck was built on poles in the ocean and we could hear the waves crashing right underneath us. Oh such good memories.
    Unfortunately, I cannot recommend a place for you to stay in Camden. But Samoset was nice. Right on the ocean too. It is a golf resort and have a view of beautiful rolling greens right down to the ocean. And it is just a short ride to Camden.
    And when you return, don' t miss stopping at Red's (in Wiscasset - sp?)to have the most famous and best lobster rolls ever. Truly. You will have to wait in a long line, but they are worth the wait. Red's don't open until noon time. We were there 5 minutes past and the line was already very, very long. They only have a small shack with an ice cream like window, but the girls work fast. We ordered 2 rolls per person. But one was more than plenty, I have never seen so much meat in a lobster roll. They were bursting. The boys shared a second one and the rest we packed in our cooler and took home for dinner.
    I am not sure, how far Camden is from Ogunquit, but I believe it is quite a distance. It will be a great family trip. We loved it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi pingo -

My best guess is 2 - 2 1/2 hours.  You can take 95 and 295 only so far.  A good chunk of the travel is on Route 1, so it takes a while.  Pretty ride though!

mothermitzi

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes mm, that would be my guesstimate too. The area right before you get to Rockport is not very pretty though. Lots of stone crushing factories (thus the name I guess) - but after that, the ocean opens up and the sight is beautiful. If I remember correctly, it took ud 5 hours to get to Samoset Resort. It was worth the long drive though.

Hi pingo - My best guess is 2 - 2 1/2 hours.  You can take 95 and 295 only so far.  A good chunk of the travel is on Route 1, so it takes a while.  Pretty ride though! mothermitzi
    Posted by mothermitzi

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

pingo,  it's only 6:00 am and you have my mouth watering for lobster rolls.  Going to Red's must be like waiting for a hut in Aruba.  You have to get up two hours before the shack opens.  mm, I wrote down 50 Shore and Jackie's so we'll check them out too.We are only spending one night so we'll save Camden for another trip when we can stay longer.  Sounds like a good five hour ride from here. 

Can you believe I havent had my first cuppa and already flipped over my queen size mattress and changed the sheets.  I am looking forward to time away, that's for sure.

Thanks again to both of you.  I knew I would get some great information.

Have a wonderful day

putt

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes putt, if you only have one night - then Camden is definitely too far away. But please keep it in mind for some other time, where you can stay longer. It is  a lovely place.
    We went on a 'long' weekend. Memorial Day weekend. Our sons and DIL arrived in Boston Friday night. Saturday we left early and we drove back home Monday for our DIL to catch a flight back late afternoon from Manchester airport. Our sons stayed for another few days. Everything worked out just fine for us. We will definitely go back again.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Years ago we went to Boothbay Harbor and loved it. Seafood lunch on a dock, ameteur theater, quaint shops, and a sail boat ride, those things with the extra outrigger. The only Time I have ever sailed and it was great.

We camped once on Acadia, and Bar Harbor was pretty too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Hi Ken

Sounds like you have great memories of Maine also. I love Bar Harbor, Boothbay and Ogunquit. We always heard good things about Camden but it may be a little too far for overnight.

putt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Before we had children and a couple of years after that, when our children were very young, we used to spend every Memorial Day in Bar Harbor. We would go with a group of friends 10-12 or so and we would always stay at Emmery' s Cottages, which is just before you enter Bar Harbor.
    We found that place - quite by mistake. Mr. P and I were travelling with another couple to see the Acadia National park. Young and stupid as we were, we thought we could do that in a one day trip. Of course that was not possible, so very tired we were looking for a place to stay overnight. Everything in BH was booked solid. So, the only thing to do, was to turn back and go home. Then on the way out, Mr. P saw some light away from the road. We went in on a dirt road and saw a small cottage with a Vacancy sign. Yes, they had room. Two small cottages. It was pitch dark and we were tired. Didn' t see much that night except everything was nice and clean and there was a bed to sleep on.
    The next morning we woke up to an amazing view. Small cottages in a horse shoe pattern centered around a lawn with a flag pole in the middle. The beach was at the end with canoes and row boats. What a well hidded gem.
    We must have been visiting that place 9 or 10 times. On Mem. Day BH is not really opened yet for turists, so they opened up their place just for us. It was grand. The owners became our firends.
    They would give us one cottage with a kitchen, so we could make our own breakfast, but lunch and dinner were 'lobster-in-the-rough'. There was a small place not far from where we stayed, where we brought our own wine, bread and corn. We would pick the lobsters right from the ocean and they would steam them and the corn as well for us. We would then sit on the beach and devour everything, while watching the sunset. By the time we left, we were lobstered-out for a long time.
    The last time we were there our youngest turned 1 year old. The cottages had not changed, but BH had. It had become much more turisty. The scenic route we used to do on rented bicycles - had now become one way and so cluttered wih cars, that one would fear for ones life to be on a bike.
    At one time when my parents were visiting US of A, we took them there. Until their death, they remembered this trip fondly. They remembered the cottages and the lobsters, but they remembered mostly the Tea House (which unfortunately burned down) in the park. We had afternoon tea, with scones and home made jam. Just the right thing to serve someone coming from Europe. Now they build a turisty place. Remembering the old tatched roof house, the new place is much larger and somehow does not fit in. IMO.
    We have also visited Booth Bay Harbor. It is a nice, quaint place place too. The best thing about Booth Bay Harbor is, that it is not a 6 hours drive away like BH. I just think, it cannot compare with BH. I guess mostly because of the national park and the Cadilac Mountain.
    Now I want to go again. Maybe for the Labor Day weekend. Just hope Emmery's are still there.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt1. Show putt1's posts

Thank you pingo

Those were the days in Bar Harbor.  Things have changed in so many places but at least we have our memories.

putt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

True, true, true putt. You are so right. Days go by, but memories stay. Love you for that sentence. - P

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Oh, man, you are all making me homesick with this nice verbal pictures of Maine. I do miss New England and when we left there thought that no place on earth could be as pretty. But the South West has its own beauty, quite different from anything in New England.  Of course we have been to the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Painted Desert, Petrified Forest in AZ and Bryce Canyon, Zion Natl. Park, Arches Natl. Park and Canyon Lands Natl Park in UT, and several more. We have that Senior pass we got for $10 which lets us into any Natl park, all those in the car to, for NOTHING, the rest of our lives, and boy do we take adavantage of it.
    Phoenix itself is called the Valley of the Sun, and that is because we are surrounded by mountains of various sizes, that rise up out of the dessert floor.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ken, I am happy for you that you are happy living in AZ. Even thought you miss NE - at least it sounds like you are.
    However, I don' t think you could drag me down there. We visited most of the places you mentioned. They are nice - spectable, I should say. But I couldn' t deal with the heat you have there. I would wilt.
    We have been visiting our son in TX several times - and I believe TX is lots like AZ. We love our son and DIL - but to be very honest, we are happy to return home - no matter how much it is raining and how cold it is. We take a large breath and say, "AH, home in NE!".

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Ken, I am happy for you that you are happy living in AZ. Even thought you miss NE - at least it sounds like you are. However, I don' t think you could drag me down there. We visited most of the places you mentioned. They are nice - spectable, I should say. But I couldn' t deal with the heat you have there. I would wilt. We have been visiting our son in TX several times - and I believe TX is lots like AZ. We love our son and DIL - but to be very honest, we are happy to return home - no matter how much it is raining and how cold it is. We take a large breath and say, "AH, home in NE!".
    Posted by pingo

I do dearly love New England but just got tired of shoveling snow. Heat you don't have to shovel, and most every place is air conditioned. We do our trips to the scenic places when the weather is not quite so hot.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Ken -

When this time of year rolls around, I forget what it's like to shovel snow, and it stinks!  December was only six months ago, and it was dreadful here.  It's all a trade off for me. We have a long winter but your summers are long and not particularly pleasant.   I guess I don't see a big difference.  I'm inside a lot in the winter.  You're inside a lot in the summer.  The bad thing about ice and snow is that it's treacherous and you don't have to contend with that.

mothermitzi

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Interesting observation mother mitzy. We may think the winter is long, but truly it is only a few days that are really bad. And like you say, by now we forget about them. Personally I think their long hot summers are lot worse. And in my opinion a white snow covered landscape is a lot prettier than brown, dusty, dryed up grass.
    But you are right we do have to deal with iced up side walks and streets.

Sections
Shortcuts