March 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: March 2011

Wow, tt, so right.  Thank God Mr. & Mrs. Winter enjoyed Hawaii and are HOME safe and sound.

BG, best to you with all this rain and repairs.  Hoping no more comes in today. It's pouring here, coming down in buckets.  Gracie didn't seem to mind, barking for me to come out and play with a newly uncovered stick in the yard.

Speaking of newly uncovered, you should have seen all the scooping I did yesterday.  Couldn't keep up too well this year, and yesterday that was my biggest accomplishment.

Didn't get to my toes.  I hope to today as a little birthday present for DH.  He loves it when they're done.  And, my gel nail manicure HAS LASTED the ENTIRE 2 weeks.  And, you know I am not gentle on my hands.  I've washed dishes in HOT water (as usual) with no gloves, played with Gracie, cooked, cleaned, tended the wood stove, well, you get the idea.  Not a chip.  Totally worth it.  So, I'll be getting them done for our trip for sure.  I'm so psyched.  It's a little thing, but it does make me feel pretty.  I never bothered to do my fingernails because they chip in my sleep.  Not this.   But, there are two brands.  OPI's gel polish doesn't work.  CND (Creative Nail Design) does.  It's more expensive, and in this case you get what you pay for (not that you can do it yourself unless you have a UV drying lamp).

Oh, speaking of that lamp, if you are very fair skinned, put sunscreen on before you do it.  I have a tan line from the dryer.  Really, it's hilarious, but happily not too noticable unless I point it out.  I can see why reports are out about getting skin cancer from manicures!  It's like going tanning.

Never caught up with anyone regarding SIL last night post-surgery, but I'm assuming that means she's just fine.  Will post with any news.

So, off to get myself together and head to the fish market for birthday dinner lobsters.  :)

Happy Friday everyone!!!

~kar

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Happy Birthday to your D.H. Kargiver! bg

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pingo, I hear an Ocean state Job Lot has opened in the old Shaw's on the Lynnfells.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

How adorable!!  He looks like he is saying "why am I wearing this and when did I become Irish!!"

In Response to Re: March 2011:
    Puppy got invited to two St. Patrick's Day parties, but doesn't seem too thrilled with his outfit.  I'm sure a little scrap of corned beef with make this better.  =)
    Posted by Novembride

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Good morning ladies,

Dreary day, but at least it is warm.  I am not complaining after this winter. Amber had her physical last night with the new vet.  They were so nice in there and they took me right away.  She got her shots and he said for her age she is in good shape.  Her teeth have a little tarter but he was so surprised at how good they look for a Shih Tzu. Her previous vet said the same thing. They are notorious for bad teeth.  He told me to keep up what I am doing.  She has a heart murmer, but he is not too worried about it.  I just have to watch if she starts coughing or is lethargic, not eating well.  She is also blind in one eye from a cataract and her hearing is not good.  That probably explains why she startles easily if you come up on her on her right side.  Didn't know poor thing couldnt' see out of that eye.  But very happy she is healthy overall and I have been blessed she has not had any of the serious issues Shih Tzu's can get.  tt, that soda bread looks delicious!  Can you send some my way?  I hope everyone has a wonderful Friday!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I have just sent one of the 4 segments to you, you should be able to get 3-4 slices out of it.  Had that with coffee this morning for my breakfast, a little margarine smeared on.  Also went in to AllRecipes.com and posted my pic of it, much more attractive than the one originally posted with the recipe.  68 pictures of the recipe had already been posted - I was amazed at the differences in the sizes and shapes!  (mine's the most attractive, of course!)

Good news about Amber girl.  I've got to get Cheerio to the vet to up her shots, she hasn't been for 2 years.  She and carrier are so heavy.  Nanny friend had offered to go with, and I should have taken her up on it, she now is suffering from polymyosistus (will have to go back on her post and get correct name), it's an auto immune disease that leaves you very weak.  Of course, I could ask son who is waiting for date for shoulder operation.  Hate to bother him, he always seems to have so much running around to do.  I had to laugh tho, he told me yesterday that he plans his errands so he can be home for the 2:00 reruns of The Sopranos!!  OMG, just like his Ma with the Y&R at 12:30!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  Yes I am glad I am not in Hawaii today...someone was watching out for us.  DH told me yesterday that it was snowing in Denmark and very windy...the snow didn't amount to much.  I told him all but a little pile is left in our yard. 
    Novem, how cute is Jax.  tt, can I have some soda bread?  Amber, nice to hear that Amber is doing well and that she likes her new doctor. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

tt I too haven't taken my cats to the vet in a few years.  I told the vet and he said if they are indoor cat's it is not that big a deal but I need to bring them to establish them as patients. I will do that next month. I want to make sure they are established with the vet so Lord forbid anything happens to my guys. So I don't think it is something you need to worry about right now.  I found this vet to be cheaper which was a nice surprise! Amber had a blood test for heartworm, 3 year rabies, 3 year distemper and kennel cough spray. He also did drops in her eye to make sure she didn't have an ulcer. All the shots, physical and tests came to $187
    So good night all around!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Before anyone thinks I am saying you don't have to get shots for cats, I am not. I wasn't able to afford the shot for the cats as I went through some hard times for a while. Since they were indoor cats I made the decicion they could wait as it was important with Amber going to the groomers to be updated yearly.  I explained that to the vet and he seemed not concerned and to bring them in next month. Made me feel better for sure as I was feeling guilty about it. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That was a very good price, Amber.  I hated having to find a new vet after my vet retired after a fall.  First took Cheerio and Charles to one in Malden where my GD had worked part time, but it was too far and parking was horrendous, having to find a space on a busy street and then walk back carrying the carrier.  When Cheerio had an episode with sort of gagging, took her to one on Route 1, their own parking area, but they are high end and wanted to do all kinds of stomach x-rays etc. to the tune of $600.  As it was, with the meds they gave me to try for sort of acid indigestion, within 3 weeks or so, she was better and hasn't had another bout.  At least, as you say, I have her registered as a patient of theirs, so God forbid, in an emergency, I can get in there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Bg, your mention of selling your house was the first I remember hearing mention of.  Is that something that has been in the thinking stages for a while?  Is your husband's or your job being relocated?  Where are you looking?  Sorry to hear you had leaks, but I guess you're not alone with this winter.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

What? I went by there the day before yesterday, and it looked dead as ever. Have to go to Target today, will check it out. I was hoping for a MB, as you mentioned a while ago.
    Is Michael's on the other side open yet? What changes in our neighborhood. - Pingo

Pingo, I hear an Ocean state Job Lot has opened in the old Shaw's on the Lynnfells.
    Posted by toytrumpet

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Thanks girls, I took that picture this morning and couldn't wait to share it with you all.  He' such a good sport sometimes, like when there is a piece of leftover steak tip balancing in front of him on my knee.  DH is is less than thrilled with the sequins, but too bad!

Winter, my goodness!  I heard about the tsunami on the radio on my way in and thought of you and said a prayer of thanks for good timing for you.  DH's cousin lives in Japan, I'm not sure exactly where except on a military base, and the family is waiting and praying.

Amber - Glad to hear Amber's check up went well and that you liked the new vet.

Kar - is the manicure a gel overlay, like fake nails, or the new shellack I keep hearing about?  I avoid painting my nails because I can;t stand even the tiniest chip, but your discovery sounds promising.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pingo, you know when I drive Route 1, my eyes are alert for those people trying to scoot out of the various strip malls.  I never even get to look in them as I drive by.  Haven't been to Michael's for a few weeks, so have no idea if it's moved.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Icer,
    I certainly remember our "conversation" in regard to the King Cake.  You were the first. But you know, it this country nothing is owned by you, unless it is stamped, signed and documented.  And that is not an easy process.
    I once wrote to the company that make pizza pans. In my family everyone wanted a different kind of pizza. So, I asked them, why don't you make single serve pizza pans to use for home use. They wrote me back, I needed to get it  patented. After 2 years of struggle, I finally gave it up.
    I am in the process of writing a cook book. Don't know if it will ever get published, but at least my boys will have my recipes to use. I am so careful not to post any recipe, I may want to publish. The big companies will eat them up immediately. In fact, if you read the small print in their competitions, they always state, that they own any recipe entered.
    Remember when BDC wanted to have a "Recipe Thread"? It didn't take off. Maybe this is the reason. - Pingo

O.k I need a few folks for a walk down memorie lane. Does anybody remember last year when I posted the "King cake you can make"..well I saw today that Pillsbury is selling the differet colored icings to go with their Cinnabuns..so...you guessed it..You can make a King cake!!! Just wanted a little validation...cyberly...around my area..my phone is ringing off the hook with folks saying,"I remember you made that with the kids"
    Posted by icer

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Dottie assured us, I think, that the recipes would not become the property of the Globe, but still, especially where you are writing as cookbook of your own, Pingo, I think you're wise to keep them close to your vest.  You and Kargiver casually give away a lot of recipes, as it is.  Most I publish aren't my own, but have credits due elsewhere.  Especially when I saw the Birds Nest being made on Rachel Ray, I realize there are scanners constantly reading these threads for new ideas.  Very unlikely that she read the same book as I, it wasn't that popular a cookbook.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Novemb, I got the new shellack for my wedding on my fingers and toes....my toes still look great almost a month later :)  My nails lasted abouit 16 days, which for me is amazing.  I got a lot of growth which was good. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, what is the birds nest?  I think I missed that recipe.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It was a pie plate lined with al dente spaghetti mixed with an egg and parmesan.  You made an impression in the middle and spread the spaghetti with a sour cream/sauteed onion mixture  Then brown sausage (or turkey or beef), drain the fat, added tomato paste and water, and simmered for 10 minutes before spooning over the sour cream mixture.  Bake, and then for the last 5 minutes or so arrange mozzarella slices (or shredded) over the top and return to over until cheese melts.

It's absolutely delicious - one of the recipes G.T. asked I add to the recipe album I put together for him.  I used ground turkey on theirs.

Rachel changed the filling to a spinach/ricotta (I think) cheese.

Not my own creation, got it from a great little cookbook, "Once a Month Cooking" by Mimi Wilson and Mary Beth Lagerborg.  It's recipes you can completely prepare and freeze, ready to take out and bake. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Hi! bg, again. Yes t.t. D.H. and I ,and with D.D's blessing and excitement, we have decided to move downtown. The house we have is great, we've lived here for 4 years, but it would be best for all of us to move innercity in a building/condo. We do live in Boston now, but in a neighborhood that is more suburban than urban. We have to live within city limits secondary to D.D.'s school, and D.H's work. D.H. is most definitlely a city boy. He was born/raised in Charlestown, college in Manhatten, then North End, and South End. The space we have now, and the yardwork, upkeep, etc. makes us feel that city living is the way to go, especially with D.D. going to college in three years. We will have to get rid of a LOT of stuff! It's going to be a busy few months! bg

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I shudder to think of what 3 people must have accumulated - I know I'm on an ongoing "purge" here and there's just me and Cheerio, and she travels light!  Hope you have good luck when putting your house on the market.  Around here, the places just aren't selling, and watching them lower and lower their asking prices makes me very nervous for what the value of my property will drop to.

I shred as I speak - going through files - have kept even "normal" mamo reports from 7 years ago - think it's safe to add them to the pile!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, that sounds fabulous. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsygreen. Show pumpsygreen's posts

Hi all, I'm just checking to see what my nom is now. I have been bg the last few posts on C.C., I posted on another post a few minutes ago, and it was pumpsygreen again.????

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Don't be upset, I love that nom.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I hope that I made myself clear..I love to share...What is the sense of having a good idea if you keep it to yourself...

As a matter of fact..and I am speaking/typing to you Kar...I am perfecting a blooming onion..gluten free..can't wait to share that!!

No Y&R eh TT:o(

Sections
Shortcuts