March 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Re: March 2011

Perhaps Winter and DH could take a vacation to Denmark one day.  I'm sure he was busy working and didn't get to do and see all he wanted, plue he'd be familiar having already been there.  Your posts make me want to visit there Pingo.  Unfortunately, DH has no interest in seeing Europe, except maybe Italy.  If I could get him Italy though, I could certainly push him on a train or two and see the rest that my heart longs for!  That vacation is several years away, leaving me plenty of time to change his mind. =)

Good luck with the furniture shopping Winter.  Keep your warranty information - mine sure came in handy!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter, not to rain on your parade. Why are you rushing things for your son? Kids  move on, you know. A living room set is a big expense, and YOU and YOUR DH need to be happy with your purchase. A few years from now, your son will be in college and he couldn't care less on what he will be sitting on - in your home or anywhere else. Floors suit them just fine then. Just my two cents - Pngo

In Response to Re: March 2011:
    Kar, I'm not sure we can wait a week at least not for the living room...my son's getting inpatient sitting in a chair...lol.  Maybe we will wait to get the bedroom there.  I'll see if they have a website and check it out.  Thanks.
    Posted by Winter2011Bride

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, LaChance has a website, but their inventory is hard to find and navigate on it.  They simply have a long list of links to their suppliers.  You can get anything custom made so they really can't list everything.  We shopped about a year for our furniture (we had stand in junk so we could wait), but if you're in a hurry, Jordan's is less daunting, closer, and of decent quality.  I had a house full of Jordan's in my previous life, and I liked it all, no regrets.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Not really rushing it for him.  I'd like one too and there were several we liked there before we left.  We just didn't want to commit before our HM.  With my knee it's not good sitting in the dining room chair and trying to ice my knee so there are many factors.

Kar, the only furniture we really have is a very nice dining room set and stuff in my son's room.  I have a small settee but it's not big enough for all of us to sit in.  Our bedroom could wait, we got our mattress delivered on Tuesday, which really is all we need right now, so maybe we'll go to LaChance for that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We got a solid cherry sleigh bed, and had just a mattress and boxspring for a year before that.  It's awesome, and I'm glad we got it there.  I've never seen anything that compares to it, and I lived in that apartment complex on the same hill with Jordan's in Framingham/Natick.  I visited often. :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

November, you would love a trip to Denmark - and the Scandinavian countries. Anyone, I sent there loved it and have gone back to explore more. Beautiful scenery, lots of history and culture. Only thing, that is not so great is the weather. Many rainy days in the summer. Not pouring like here, but drizzling.  If you bring a raincoat and an umbrella, you will be all set. The rain doesn't last. Raining for 1/2 hour, then beautiful sunshine. No Dane leave their home without an umbrella.
    Hope you will make it one day. - Pingo

http://www.visitdenmark.com/usa/en-us/menu/turist/turistinformation/lydbilledpraesentationer/jewelsofnature.htm

Perhaps Winter and DH could take a vacation to Denmark one day.  I'm sure he was busy working and didn't get to do and see all he wanted, plue he'd be familiar having already been there.  Your posts make me want to visit there Pingo.  Unfortunately, DH has no interest in seeing Europe, except maybe Italy.  If I could get him Italy though, I could certainly push him on a train or two and see the rest that my heart longs for!  That vacation is several years away, leaving me plenty of time to change his mind. =) Good luck with the furniture shopping Winter.  Keep your warranty information - mine sure came in handy!
    Posted by Novembride

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo, I've seen his pictures and they were beautiful.  I wish I could go, but I need to save my vacation time for when camp ends in August. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Happy Friday everybody.  Seems funny to check in and not see any posts from tt. 

I can't imagine having to furnish a house at this point in my life, but I remember that it was a lot of fun when we started out many years ago.  We moved into this house with a new dining-room and a new bedroom set.  That was it.  Our kitchen table and chairs were borrowed.  If we sat in the living-room, I used the chairs from the dining-room and we set up tray tables.  We had one tv and one telephone.  The radio was in the kitchen and it was on all day. We added as we went along.  When I think about it now, I was able to stretch a dollar much more in those days.  My father always says that when he was growing up his family had no money and they would probably be considered poor by today's standards.  The Depression was a terrible period. But he didn't think of his family as poor because they were a large lively group and my grandmother did whatever it took to make sure they had food on the table.  He always says they had a lot of fun. I laugh when I think how hard I thought I had it because in retrospect, I really didn't.  And by the time my kids married, they were set. My daughter had to buy some new furniture when they moved into their house, and I enjoyed going around with her.  I kept thinking of my borrowed kitchen table.  It was black and pink - speckled formica top - with metal legs.  Probably be worth something today!

Going out to dinner tonight with friends.  Cleaning the house the rest of the weekend.  Supposed to warm up this weekend.  I hope I can get over to the river and walk.  The snow is gone from there now.

mothermitzi        

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Icer, I googled "Trucchis" and found the locations of the other three stores, I visit friends in Taunton, but I've never seen the stores, nor have they mentioned it.   Winterbride, We went shopping for a lift recliner for Mr.DH, ended up in Jordans, lovely burgandy leather one, thinking it over, but I know we will end up getting it....just stay away from "Bobs" furniture, real low prices, but the quality of their stuff isn't too good. Take care all, ss.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    I forgot to tell you, I went to Costco today, and "browsed " for your TV. They have your 55 inch Samsung for $1699.99.
    HTH - Pingo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, you're a doll, thanks so much!  I'll let DH know.  Maybe we'll go shopping this weekend.  He brought the upstairs TV down so we can know 100% if it's the TV that's broken.  I believe we've ruled everything else out, but that will be the final test.  I'll let you know!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

Pingo, I tried your pork recipe with the red currant jelly.  It was fabulous!  And it was only about $2.50 and we had two meals from it!!  Great gravy.  I bet you can also do it with chicken pieces too.  Thanks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Obbie, glad you liked it too. I have never tried it with chicken, but I add it to my red cabbage. It is very versatile.  I just wish, I could buy the Red Currant Juice instead. - Pingo

Pingo, I tried your pork recipe with the red currant jelly.  It was fabulous!  And it was only about $2.50 and we had two meals from it!!  Great gravy.  I bet you can also do it with chicken pieces too.  Thanks.
    Posted by Obbieite

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

As predicted, I've been eating the left over currant jelly on my toast.  By the time DH is eating meat again, and we want to make that yummy gravy, I'll need another jar!  I have no will power. :)

Well, we hooked up the "little" TV down here, and it's perfect - no wiggle, no "weak signal."  So, I've gone from 99% sure the big TV is broken to 100%.  So, you'd think we'd be running off to get a new one, right?  Yeah, me, too.  But, DH wants to wait until our house alarm is installed first.  Not sure when that's going to happen, but very soon - he's actually on the phone right this very second with the person who's installing it (measuring the windows).  So, it's happening, but not today.  Oh, well.  I can live with the little one...I'm pretty spoiled, though, with our 56"!  This one is 27".  But, at least it doesn't make me motion sick to watch.

I just heard him talk about where Gracie is allowed to go in the house (not upstairs) because I think the system is capable of having the motion sensor set above Gracie height so she can be home alone with the alarm armed.  Neat, huh?

We're so pumped.  I hope it's all done before we go to Florida for that extra peace of mind.   Oh, I hear plans being made to visit him tomorrow (it's a really good friend, actually), YAY!

So, that's probably more rambling than was interesting, but that's what's going on! 

Have a great day, all.

~kar

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    I am happy for you, that you are getting an alarm system installed. But with someone, who had a dog and an alarm system - I would suggest, you only go for perimeter alarms and not motion detectors in the areas, Gracie moves around. They are not to trust completely. Even though you "set them up high" they are not really a deterrent. If they do not sound for Gracie, they will not sound for a burglar moving around on his knees. Professional burglars know all the tricks. They will scout for your valuables, then move swiftly to pick them up and trip the alarm. But before whoever respond, they will be long gone.
    Also make sure you get your system monitored. It cost us only $156/year for peace of mind.
    If you have a trusty neighbor, that is the best alarm system one can have. Don't cancel your mail and your paper, if you get one. Have your neighbor pick it up for you. Have your neighbor put out trash barrels in your driveway on trash day - if you have trash pick up. And have your neighbor park his or her car in your driveway and move it everyday. This is especially true during the winter. An unplowed and unused driveway, is a sure sigh, no one is at home. And don't let too many people know, you will be away.
    Still, no matter how much you try to protect yourself - the professionals will always have a way to get in and out.
    - Pingo

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, good point about the crawling, but how would they get in to crawl around without setting the alarm off - it will be armed on all doors and windows.  We'll talk about it tomorrow with our "alarm" friend.  Great tips to keeping the house safe, too, thanks!  Hopefully, we won't have any big snow storms in April, but it can happen.  (Ugh!)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Have a great time with PB son, Pingo!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    Professional burglars will find a way.
    Another option is to have glass sensors installed. When you break glass, the alarm goes off. We have them installed in all our rooms (in the ceiling). We had this installed, when we built the house, I am not sure if they will be able to install it in an already existing home. Unfortunately, if you break a glass yourself the alarm will go off too. But the company, who monitors you, will always call you first, before they call the police. You just give them your password and all is good.
    I love our alarm system. We have it on all the time. We have one setting for when we are out of the house and one setting for when we are at home. It is especially comforting, when DH travels. - Pingo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, you know of my "extra" security concern whenever DH is away; I believe you when you say I have good reason to be concerned.  Anyway, about the glass sensors, that is intriguing and another thing I'll talk to my friend about tomorrow.  I must start a list. :)

Thanks, again, my friend.

Oh, I forgot about a goings on for tonight - have any of you been to a "lia sophia" party (like Tupperware party) for that jewelry line?  My next door neighbor invited me to hers, and it's tonight.  I've read some bad things about it online, but you know how those parties are, you're obligated to buy something.  I'm looking forward to a fun night either way.  I've been happy with my other party purchases - I've got a small Longaberger (sp?) basket, a server and terra cotta pan for the toaster oven from Pampered Chef, and my first of a LOT of Cutco knives.  Maybe I'll be a lia sophia fan, too. :)

Is PB son here yet, Pingo?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning Kar,
    Yes, I had a very early start this morning. We went to watch "The King's Speech" last night (great movie, btw) and even though we got there in good time, there were only 42 seats left. So we ended up sitting way front, and I got a knot in my neck that bothered me all night. Better now after taking Motrin and putting BanGay on it. But I could not find a way to sleep.
    PB son came Friday night. Tacos with all the trimmings were waiting for him. I found, it is something that can wait, if planes are late. Yesterday it was Blueberry pancakes for breakfast, mini Smorgasboard for lunch, and I had some BBQ pork simmering in the slow cooker, for when we got back from the movie theater. With home made rolls (I found a really wonderful bread maker recipe for that). Can you hear, I am in my glory this weekend?
    How was your home party last night? I can't say I enjoy those. When a friend invites me, I feel, I must go and I must buy something. In the past I have come home with quite a few unwanted items. I also find, what those parties offer are way too expensive. Funny, you mentioned "The Pampered Chef". This party was given by a daughter of one of my friends. Her husband had lost his job - so naturally everyone wanted to help out. I bought several items. I have one of the terra-cotta pans you mentioned. I have only used it once. Maybe now is the time to take it out of the dust cover. I also signed up for a party at my home. It was fun and in good spirit. But generally I have grown calluses and find some excuse not to attend.
    Don't know, what is on our agenda today. I do know, I am going to make my Rack-o-Lamb for dinner. And I am going to make another olive bread for son to take back home. It was a great success.
    Tomorrow is my day off - I am going go celebrate my BD (you know "who" was totally wrong on that one) and Icer's new venture. Son will be leaving Tuesday morning.
    Was out feeding the birds  earlier, and it is really warm out. Enjoy the day and hope you get all set with your alarm system. Gracie must be in her glory, with the warmer weather. Funny to think it wan't too long ago, she had a hard time to find a place to do her business. Ah! Spring is on it's way - Pingo

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

Pingo, sorry about your neck and tough night.  Ugh.  At least the movie was good, though.

Oh, yeah, you are in your glory, yay!  What a blessing for everyone sharing the yummies and each other's company. 

The party was fun, but, of course, I did spend more money than I'd hoped to (one item), but at least I love it.  It's an elasticized braclet with hearts; maybe I can find a photo online...  I'm eager to get it.  I don't use my PC pizza stone for the toaster oven anymore, but I did when I didn't have a microwave and lived by myself.  I remember liking it - that terra cotta stuff was "huge" in the Pampered Chef line!

We'll be going to our friend's early this afternoon.  The pie looks like it will be a winner.  Too bad can't cut into it to make sure without giving us away.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Here's a link to the heart stretch bracelet I bought last night.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Very pretty and unique indeed - P

Here's a link to the heart stretch bracelet I bought last night.
    Posted by kargiver

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Icer,
    Thinking of you tonight my dear friend, as we both will start something new, when the sun rises tomorrow. Wishing you all the best in your new venture. Lots and lots of luck - Pingo

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Very pretty and unique indeed - P In Response to Re: March 2011 :
    Posted by pingo

Thanks!  I have a weak spot for heart-shaped jewelry.

Best wishes to the new venture ladies!!

Winter, how did you make out with the furniture?

We met with our friends today, had a great time, and the pie was a hit...one of my best if I do say so. :)

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

~kar

Sections
Shortcuts