March 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

Re: March 2011

Happy Birthday, Pingo.  Hope you had a great day.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I'll just shoot in here to give a quick Thank you..TT your poem brought a tear to my eye...so thoughtful of you..Pingo..Happy Birthday

I'll catch up 2morow..I am beat

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, where did you guys decide to go?  How was it? 

DH and I are meeting for lunch today!  And, tomorrow, I'm going in to visit a friend from my old work, "out East."  Woo hoo for warmer weather I can leave Gracie out in.

DH's birthday is Friday, and I'm surprising him with lobsters I'll cook at home.  His dear sister called to ask if she'd be "stepping on my toes" if she made him his favorite carrot cake.  Isn't she the sweetest SIL?  Anyway, of course, I don't mind in the slightest especially since I'll be getting some of her fabulous cake and making the cake last year was quite a production for this non-baker.  It was delicious, but lopsided, remember?   Not that he minded that, though, he made himself ill he ate so much at once...ah, good times. ;)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I agree Kar, the prices are just terrible.  I need to eat healthy but find I am spending twice as much.  I find it ironic the government is now on everyone's case about being obese and getting healthy but all the good food you need to get healthyis going through the roof. When you have no money, you buy what is cheap which is lots of carbs, I know I had to do that when I was unemployeed.  I felt it big time physically.  Happy to be working, but buying groceries is still a struggle.  Wish I could do a garden, but unfortunately apartment dwellers like me cannot do that.  I do worry for our country..

In Response to Re: March 2011:
    [QUOTE]Not to turn this political, but honestly, that's just a hint of what's to come imo. Anyone with a garden should plant a lot and freeze as much as you can.  Onions keep - we thought we lost them when the garage dipped below freezing, but we salvaged many and are STILL getting them out of the basket from last year instead of buying at the store.  And, we still have tomatoes and some berries, too.  Next year, the grocery store savings for not needing to buy produce will be unprecendented (well, in my lifetime, anyway). When we visited my friend yesterday, he pointed out home improvements he's working on, and DH said, "You better make all the raw material purchases and equipment before inflation hits big time," and the response was, "It hasn't ?"  But, we all agreed in all seriousness that it hasn't hit where it's going.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, unfortunately, nothing is immune to inflation including healthy, fresh produce.  

When I lived in an apartment I grew a pretty large potted tomato plant that did really well.  And, my favorite herbs.  That's about all you can do, though.  I'd give the hanging tomatoes a try if I were still there.  One plant can produce a ton!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

and of course the one thing I am not crazy about is tomatoes.............  LOL!  I love tomatoe sauces etc., but never been a huge fan of tomatoes.  Figures! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Good morning everyone.  I, too, have noticed the price of groceries edging up.  My "standard" order is now up by about $20.  What can I do though?  We have to eat!  We have a very small garden that yeilds some tomatoes and peppers and my brother brings us extras from his much larger garden, so that will help in the summer.

Amber - DH is the same way as you about tomatoes.

Kar - have a fun with DH.  You know I am a fin of lunch dates.

Pingo and Icer - can't wait to hear about your special days

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Funny!  You could grow Romas if you wanted to make your own, although it does take a ton of toms to make sauce...never mind. :(  Herbs maybe? My dad just started his in pots for the deck (in Pennsylvania where Spring has sprung) and sent the leftover seeds to us so I think I'll get pots and soil today and have at it.  We had a perennial herb garden that had sage, rosemary, thyme, chives, etc, but our monster mint has choked them all out...where shall I put them, though...hm.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  I'm not sure how much garden I can have...my yard is all pool and patio, but there is a small section on the side that may work.  I'll need to try some tomatoes...nobody but me likes peppers, so don't think that will work, but maybe onions.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning all,
    A lovely weekend is over. DH is on his way to the AP with PB son. I had such a wonderful time.
    We were all set to go to Finz last night. But then one of DH's computer cable broke or went out of commission, so he needed to go to the Apple Store, which is in the Mall. Plus I got a $10 BD card from Macy's, which I naturally wanted to use as we were already there. I got a lovely top for $4.99. Reg. price $39.99. To make a long story short, it got a bit late to drive to Salem by then, so we ended up at Legal Seafood, that is in the mall.
    Had a lovely meal. Starting with Oysters on the half shell, and they had a trout special, which was out-of-this world. It was served with roasted beets and leeks and a wonderful sauce. No room for desert. And our own cappuccino maker makes the best cappuccino ever.

I agree with you about the grocery prices. Where is it going to end? One can only do so much. You can bake your own bread, but flour, sugar, oil, butter etc. has gone up quite a bit. Not everyone have the space to buy in bulk, and not everyone has the space and means to grow their own vegetable. It is truly wonderful, if you can do it. But still, even though you have to buy and pay more for everything, you still save some, to make things from scratch.

Chat later - Pingo

How did your first day go Icer? We are all ears here.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Nov, I've noticed the same thing at the grocery store, but, yeah, we have to eat...

Winter, onions are great.  We use the young ones for scallions in the late Spring (with the other early salad bloomers) and leave some to develop into onions.

What a gorgeous day!  I can't wait to get out there - I don't mind driving when I don't have to every day and I'm going somewhere fun.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, I fear inflation will not be ending any time soon.  I'm very concerned but will keep the discussion politics free.

In happier news, so glad you had a great night despite the late game changes.  Legal's is great, too.  I love everything about that place!  So nice to hear of your fabulous family time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I'm sure Gracie will enjoy being out today as well, Kar.  The sun was shining brightly through the blinds this morning, so Jax and I headed to the park, which is now almost all grass again, for a proper game of fetch.  His friend from up the hill was there, too and they played keep away for awhile before she was whisked away for her walk.  He ate his breakfast and was already asleep on the couch before I left for work.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What a great morning, Nov!  Gracie is napping in front of the stove unwittingly getting ready for her exciting day. :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

November and other apartment dweller dog owners,
    You girls really amazes me. What time do you get up and go to the park and play with AND walk your dogs and still make it to work on time including your commuter time? When we had a dog, I just sent her outside to do her business, then walked her and played with her later in the day.
    Even though I get up early, I am not a morning person at all. Things are really slow in the AM. Your morning schedule makes me never to own a dog, if I lived in an apartment/condo. I admire you. I couldn't do, what you do.
    My hat off to you all - Pingo

In Response to Re: March 2011:
    [QUOTE]I'm sure Gracie will enjoy being out today as well, Kar.  The sun was shining brightly through the blinds this morning, so Jax and I headed to the park, which is now almost all grass again, for a proper game of fetch.  His friend from up the hill was there, too and they played keep away for awhile before she was whisked away for her walk.  He ate his breakfast and was already asleep on the couch before I left for work.
    Posted by Novembride[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar and Amber,
    Finz is still on our map. Looked at the menu and it is just awesome. Will probably do it when the weather is nicer, as it is on the waterfront and have outdoor seating. The next place to try, will be "The Wild Horse". It got some excellent reviews.
    We are kind of tired to keep going to the same places. So any recommendation anyone can give, will be so welcome.  - Pingo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Hi Pingo,

I luckily have a patio so that is where Amber does her business in the morning.  I get up at 6:00 and get home at 6:00, so not willing to get up any earlier as I am not a morning person either.  I am fortunate to have that option and I know it.  She gets walked when I get home.  I don't know how people do it either to be honest..  I hope you like Finz as I did.  But I only went once, so hopefully they are good all the time!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'd love to try it...too bad not my stomping ground anymore.

OK, ladies, off I go!  Have a great afternoon, all.

~kar

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'm interested in how they do it as well.  I recently needed to start getting my son and I up earlier for our longer commute and I'm exhausted come 10pm. Of course I'm still unpacking and have stuff to move in my old apartment. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I am a morning person, and I only have a 15 minute commute, so it's not so bad for me!

Puppy and I are out the door by 6 to walk/play until about 6:30/6:40.  We wake up DH when we get home and get him out the door by 7 (he's really fast).  Puppy eats while I shower and get ready.  One quick pee at 7:35, then he hits the couch and I head out at 7:45.  He gets walked and has play time from 12 -12:45, gets walked again at 4:30, and then when I get home around 5:30-6 we do another 1/2 hour walk/play, plus indoor playtime after supper while I do laundry, housework, etc. When it is lighter later, we will switch to dinner, then a longer (2-3 mile) walk or park time in the evening.

Around 9 he curls up on the couch with his antler and all three of us are in bed by 10 most nights.  On weekends, puppy still gets up at 6, but will do a potty run then go back to bed until 7:30ish.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Amber would love to live at your house November!  Sealed

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

She'd be welcome anytime!  The more playmates the better!

Its exhausting to think about, but the schedule itself isn't so bad.  I think I am one of those people who do better in a routine, anyways.  I'm also lucky to have help in the middle of the day. He's still young and really needs that midday break. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gracie, too?  She's big but she's pretty gentle with the little ones. ;)

Just checking in after a lovely day out.  Must get back to rushing around and getting things put together, though.  

Have a great night, all!

~kar

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsygreen. Show pumpsygreen's posts

Pingo, Happy belated birthday wishes to you! O.K., I hope I get this right ... Tillykke med fo/dselsdagen !! I hope I got it right. If not, my heart is in the right place. Thankyou so much for the wisdom and encouragement you and the other chatters have given me.  beastsgirl

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, bg, how have you been with DD lately?

Sections
Shortcuts