March 2013!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: March 2013!

Pot roast is simmering away in the skillet on top of the stove - smells so good.  It's been a while since I've done a roast of any kind.  Saw this cute little one last week, Manager's Special, and had to pick it up.  Have the carrots and potatoes peeled and in cold water, ready to pop in the same skillet to cook the last 45 minutes.  Now have to think of something to concoct for dessert - something that doesn't take milk, because the last of what was in the jug, turned overnight.  Maybe just plain jello, do have the squirt can of whipped cream.  Leisurely day, browsing the flyers that came with the paper.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Cute birthday celebration, tt. That Lilly is something else. Did they get to take that walk to see, where Papa used to play?
    Your dinner last night sounded scrumptious, Kar. Do you know, you can make clarified butter in the microwave? So much easier, less mess and you don't have to watch it.
    Went to the mall last night. DH needed a new battery for his watch. I could walk around w/o having to rest every 5 minutes. Yeah!
    Will be going to the office later today to play catch-up.
    Looking out the window, big fat snow flakes is coming down now. But the sun is also trying to get through. I hope the sun wins. Have a good Sunday everyone.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Funny, I was just considering doing a pot roast for tonight, too.  Not sure when DH will be home so that will stay hot in the cast iron for a long time after it's done without ruining it.  And, he just pointed out that we still have turnips from the garden to use up.  

Thanks for the microwave clarified butter tip, Pingo.  My simmer burner is akin to about 5 candles of flame, though, so it's not much trouble to use that; I can leave it for a couple of hours unattended to get rich ghee.  But, you never know when I might be in more of a hurry so that's good to know.

Still snowing here, and I think I'm going to make like Gracie and take a little nap.  We were up at 1:00 for a house-wide bathroom break including Gracie and then up to get ready for the ride at 5:15.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Had a container of strawberries in the fridge, so sliced, sugared and mashed them.  Then found a recipe in Cooks for a milkless shortcake biscuit.  Those are in the oven now, so all that drooling I've been doing every time you talked about strawberry shortcakes you were making for supper, well, I'll take care of that today!

No snow here, just a few very light flurries earlier.  Sun is shining.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

The snow has stopped here too, tt. Your dessert spread sound good. Question, couldn't you have used the soured milk for the biscuits? After all there are buttermilk biscuits.
    Jello is DH's most favorite dessert. He was not allowed to have it, when growing up (the gelatin) so he snug in at a neighbor's, who made it, and had it there. His mom would have had a fit, if she knew. So now I make sure to always have some made up in the refrigerator. Black raspberry is his favorite.

A nap on a day like this sounds good, Kar. Especially in a cold house. We both had a nap yesterday after DH got home from his tennis. It hardly ever happens. DH doesn't nap. I feel I often need it. If we are going out nights or have company ourselves, it is a must or I wouldn't be able to stay up. And when I am tired, I get awfully cranky.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ew, I'm pretty sure spoiled milk is not the same as cultured buttermilk.

Haven't gotten the gumption to get up and go back to bed yet...sigh.  I get cranky, too.  And, headachy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

The milk had already been poured down the drain before I was even thinking of strawberry shortcake, Pingo.  Probably would have made delicious biscuits.  We'll see about these, not much juice coming from the strawberries, so hope it doesn't turn out too dry.

I can't purposely take a nap, but if I sit on the couch, I can drop off for 20 minutes or so.  That's just since this new medicine - but that's OK, then I can stay awake some nights until 10:00.

The walk Papa is taking Lilly on, is when they come here next Sunday.  This is where he grew up and he and his brothers used to spend Saturday's sandwiches and pickles, playing up back in the woods.  You wouldn't dare let your kids do that now, altho, this still is a very safe area.

Too bad you have to go into work today.  Don't let yourself get back on that workaholic treadmill you were on for a while.  It was clear to see you were exhausted during that time.

ETA:  Saw your post, Kargiver - don't you think it would have been the same as sour milk called for in recipes?  No?  I don't know, never really thought about it until today.

ETA2:  Just Googled it, (what can't you google these days?), and I guess it isn't the same.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, ladies, did everyone have a nice Sunday?

What a lazy day I had!  Didn't nap, but not for lack of trying.  I laid down next to Gracie by the fire, but couldn't relax for some reason.  So, got up and picked up the house (didn't clean, mind you) and then forced myself to walk her for our regular 3.5 mile loop.

DH just called, and he's on his way home having had a fabulous day with the boys.  I was going to do a pot roast, but the pork tenderloins caught my attention, and a couple of those are in the oven, now.  He doesn't actually want dinner; they stopped for sandwiches, but I knew that was a risk, and I'll have a little tonight and then we'll have it for lunches.

Hope the CC family had a great weekend. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Monday, again.  Getting ready to do my Monday thing for the morning then have to come home and spruce up for BIL's overnight stay for a Tuesday morning Logan run.  Sigh.

I need my coffee...

have a great day and week, everyone.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Seems everyone had a lovely weekend. Did a super clean on the downstairs Saturday for DH's birthday dinner yesterday. Everything came out perfect and everyone loved it. The cake was fantastic, it was from the Farmland in Wakefield. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, Winter.  Glad your birthday dinner went over so good.  I really enjoyed the pot roast dinner and strawberry shortcakes here.  It was just a big enough piece of meat that I'll get a couple more meals out of it, but won't end up eating it for a week.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Never knew Farmland made birthday cakes. When our office was in Wakefield, we used to get our deli sandwiches there. They were the best. Glad you had a nice birthday celebration, Winter.
    Had a good Sunday, even though I was working. But I got so much done, I can relax a bit now. Those tax forms, that has to be filed is always such a pain, but now they are all sent out and filed away, so I don't have to worry about them any longer. Unless we get an audit of course, but everything is in order, so I am not worried about that.
    Have to leave shortly for a hip doc appointment. Hope he will give me go-ahead for my elliptical. Then off to the office. I have payroll this week to do, and I like to get it done early in the week. Besides I am not going in on my birthday. DH is also planning to take off, unless an emergency comes up. The word 'Foxwood' came up - if we could get a room. We haven't been there in ages. But no decision has been made yet. Friday or Saturday, we are taking DH's sister and BIL plus a couple of good friends out to eat. A place, where they can eat. Probably Mexican. I didn't want to do Mexican, Indian or Pizza on the day of.
    Gotta run. Have a good day everyone - chat later.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo, they have a bakery inside, Guilio's I think is the name. Cake was awesome. Foxwoods how nice!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

That must be a new addition, Winter. It wasn't there, when I used to go there. There was a bakery next door though. Is it still there? Maybe, Farmland took it over.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

The bakery was always owned by the same family, they just put it inside of the market. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Busy day, in and out.  Got most of week-end's grocery needs bought.  Had to do an unexpected hall floor washing - toilet overflowed this morning - thank goodness it was just clear water, kept filling.  Still, something I hadn't planned on having to take care of.  Another thing I hadn't planned on was to see a "wet" strip in kitchen ceiling - - - left a message at roofers that I wanted a sit down meeting regarding the roof, and the new stain I had discovered.  It probably has been there since the blizzard, I never thought to check the ceiling in that room, and just happened to look up and see it today.  All my careful thinking of who to go with - still ended up with my worst nightmare.  -  Boy, am I looking forward to a laugh filled Sunday afternoon.  Ordered my cake today.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Oh no, not another stain on the ceiling.  I hope they get back to you pronto. What type of cake did you order?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I ordered a yellow cake with cream frosting and green decorative writing/frosting/and shamrocks.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good morning everyone.  All of the celebrations and relaxing sound great!

We had a wonderful weekend.  We stayed at Church Landing in Meredith, NH.  Had a beautiful room with a fireplace and balcony overlooking Lake Winnepesaukee.  Did a lot of shopping and hit a few good restaurants.  Spencer and Nana had a great time hanging out together all weekend.  One of DH's brother's came by, so that was good (of course the other on didn't, even though we had had asked him to).  Oh well.

Mom's surgery didn't come out as we had hoped.  She's okay, just not the results we were expecting.  It was surgery to clear out her carotid artery (this is the 3rd time she has had this done), but it was just too blocked to do anything about.  They could do a bypass but they it's major surgery which they didn't feel she would fare well from.  She's still in the hospital but should be out today. 

On a brighter note, I just saw that we changed the clocks this weekend!  Whoo hoo, first sign of spring!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Sorry to hear the surgery wasn't able to do what they had hoped, Princess.  When I had mine done, they put mesh in, and so far it has stayed clean as a whistle.  That's a concern for you now.  When I was deciding whether or not to have mine done, because there is a danger of having a stroke during the operation,  the surgeon did tell me that there are lots of people walking around with a blocked carotid that they don't know about, and they never have a problem.  I'll pray that your mother is in that category.

Love the area where you stayed, that's mine and SS's old stomping ground.  Icer and her DH bike up there too, tho I haven't heard her mention that this past year.

Early morning appt. this morning.  Got up a little later than usual, so have to get a move on.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gosh, that's really too bad, prin, she went all through that and it didn't do the trick.  As tt said, maybe nothing will come of it, though, after all.  Hoping and praying for the best.  

What a lovely weekend, though!  Sounds romantic. :)

I'm in the 7th circle of hell...we're leaving for the airport in 20 minutes.  We were up late, kept up by the TV, and then up for the day at 4 am.  Well, I was.  DH was resting as best he could until 5:30.  He's got a late appointment for work tonight and won't even be home until 9.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Thanks TT, that makes me feel better.  Basically, we are just scared she's going to have a  stroke, but I agree with you that there are probably a lot of people walking around just fine with it.

It would be a beautiful ride on the bike.  DH would love it if we went up there on the bike, but I just get so uncomfortable after a few hours, lol. 

We went by the Mt. Washington Hotel, which had a lot of things going on (dog sledding, kite skiing, etc).  My dad would always tell me stories of how he would spend summers up there as a caddy, so I always love to go by there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Sounds like you had a stellar weekend in NH, princess. We used to have a good friend in Meredith (now in Fla.), so I am very familiar with the area. Love it up there. Sorry to hear they couldn't fix your mom's artery; now another worry.

What is it with that roof of yours, tt? I am so sorry, you are having so much trouble with it. When you have that sit down meeting, could one of your son's possibly be there? Knowing you, you would like to have it fixed in a friendly manner, but it seems to me, you may have to bring in the heavy artillery. Hope it won't be a dark cloud hanging over your birthday party.

Went to see my bone doc yesterday. Had an x-ray of my bum knee. Advanced arthritis. So he prescribed my another round of PT for the knee. And no elliptical yet. Very disappointing. Another option is injections. But I want to see, how PT will work first. Had good experience with the hips.

Are we really getting another round of snow Thursday/Friday? Can't bear to think of it. Except for the huge piles, the snow is almost gone everywhere.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, I do remember you told us, your "favorite" BIL was staying over last night and you had to take him to the airport this morning. You are a saint. There must be reasons, he takes off from Boston, but there are airports in NH too. Are you being too accommodating?
    Hope the rest of the day goes better for you. Maybe a nice nap is in order this afternoon.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Princess, so sorry your mom didn't get the results she was expecting. My dad had the surgery as well, many year ago. The place you stayed at sounds wonderful. Kar, how did the TV keep you up late? tt, cake sounds lovely. 

Sections
Shortcuts