March 2013!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: March 2013!

Excellent now you get to eat some of the candy!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Lucky for you Winter!!  Be careful driving.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good for you, Winter. The main roads are not bad at all from what I hear from other people. And the part of our driveway, DH did earlier is now melted completely. Enjoy your early day off. But still be careful going home.

tt, you make me want to make my graham cracker cookies now after the blondies get out. Have all the ingredients.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Have a good week-end Winter.  Everything I made today is frozen solid except the candy, but I'll share that with you if you want to swing by.  Makes a whole cookie sheet - minus the corner I've already eaten.  Cleaning the outside of my kitchen cabinets now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Wow we got a lot of snow...Honey has done ALL the driveways n our neighborhood..only takes him 6 hours

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

My plow guy told me today he is giving his plowing business to someone else.  This is the older man, not the nice young nephew who works for him and shovels for extra money.  All he did today was shovel my front stairs and said, "that'll be $5 extra for the shoveling I did."  Car is still covered too.  Hope temps tomorrow are warm enough to melt a lot of it.  Don't know about the back - that snow is up to my door.  No place for it to go if it does melt.  After all the up and down cleaning I did today, I know enough not to go out there and try moving it around.

Heard from Cat Lady today.  Has not seen Harry (Oliver) for a few days.  She called his "mother" and she said he got out last night and wouldn't come in, so she hasn't seen him today either.  As Cat Lady said, she is not the same kind of cat mother we are.  Cat Lady's husband actually snowblows paths from their breezeway, down through the yard for Harry and Little Miss Fluffy Short Legs to get up to get their food and shelter.

ETA:  town plows just came by and closed in the end of my driveway again.  Ugh.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just came in from shoveling a very narrow path all along the back walk.  The snow literally came up over the bulkhead to my door, and I knew with the warm temps the melting snow would have no place to go except in - love that little shovel.  Now I have to take an ibuprofen for my back or I won't be able to move tomorrow!  lol

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Did we ever get SNOW! As I sit here this AM and look over the back yard it looks so pretty, the sun is shining, I hope it melts some of it.  We got 24.1".....thought it would never stop.!  No shoveling done here....DD will try and do some today.....told her to get her friends 2 sons to come over and earn some $$..... Our driveway fits three cars end to end and still some room.  Told DD to just handle her car and make a small path from the door to the sidewalk.    Good thing she parks her car as close to the end of the driveway as she can.  Glad we don't live too close to the water, those poor folks.   Nov.  chicken sounds good, will give it a try..  SS

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

SS, you and I are the early birds, I guess.  So glad to see the sun first thing.  Car is still under a mountain of snow and hoping it will take care of some of it.  I expect sometime today my intown son will be over with the liquor  he was picking up for me and I know he will clear it off and take care of the snow around it that plow guy left.

Have the chicken out thawing and the cupcakes out thawing and the ingredients ready for Spanish Cream.  Just hoping I have enough milk left to make a double batch.  If not, I'll be out there clearing off the car and doing more shoveling.

I wish I had stuck a yardstick in the back snow before I started shoveling.  We certainly had way over a foot, I think close to 2 feet too, SS.

Can hear the water dripping in the downspout outside this window, so that's a good sign.  Not much traffic going by, but then, it's a Saturday.  Haven't seen any of the usual joggers either.  Imagine the roads are a little icey still this early.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

Indeed, the state got about 2' across the board according to the official snow totals on the WC.  Speaking of shoveling pain, yeah, I should have taken some aspirin right away yesterday like you did, tt.  I'm hurting today; my bad shoulder, mostly.  DH shoveled a lot before he went to work, but I had quite a bit to do, and I also took care of my car.

Pingo, you must have had your birthday dinner - do tell us all about it!

icer, does DH have a plow?  6 hours for the whole neighborhood isn't long - takes DH about that long just to do all of ours in great shape.

tt, have fun getting ready for your big shindig.  Enjoy!!

I've got to start getting going for DH's birthday dinner on Monday night.  I'm doing Pingo's Rack o' Lamb so need to hit Stop and Shop today or tomorrow for that.  Will make the cupcakes Monday so they will be a surprise.

DH will be doing the rest of the snow removal today and enjoying the snow for the rest of the weekend, snowmobiling and cross country skiing.  I might snap on some skis myself since I got a good night's sleep last night and am feeling better.  As tt suggested, the sun helps, too.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Paper Deliverers left one of our papers 1/2 way up the driveway and one on top of the mound of snow thatthe plow left.....DD is shoveling and DD#3 and her son are coming by later to help. It is melting, but ve-r-y slowly....ss

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Melting here, too - the March sun has regained some strength.

Too bad we can't post photos.  Winter, I'm having trouble with my snapfish account; maybe I should try from the laptop.  Do you access it from your ipad?  That was a great one of Yoda.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yeah, as for the melting, my car sits right outside this window and I'm watching - waiting to see the mound on top go sliding down over the hood.  Not anywhere near that yet.  Since the clown who came yesterday didn't even shovel next to the car, I've a lot of shoveling to do before I can even get close enough to clean it off.  I'll wait until the warmest part of the day (noon), and if son hasn't come by yet, I'll tackle it.  Held off making Spanish Cream because I'm low on milk and I want to be sure there's enough for frosting and also to use with the cream in ala king.  Made a batch of scones this morning and combined with the ones I have frozen, that will be enough for any early birds to enjoy tomorrow.

The ibuprofen gave me a good pain-free night's sleep and no aches this morning, Kargiver. I'm not supposed to take them, but whenever I do strenuous exercise, I pop one in right after to avoid next day pain.

Your DH will be surprised at the cupcakes, Kargiver.  I bake mine 20 minutes.  Your supper sounds delicious.  I don't think I've ever had rack of lamb.  Deciding how to frost my cupcakes.  Think both will be a white frosting with green sprinkles - a little tint of yellow in the frosting that goes on the lemon ones.

Lucky you've got the troops coming over to help DD, SS.  My intown son has a devil of a sloped driveway that the snowblower is useless on, so hope his teenage son and dau are out there helping this morning.  He worked last night so not a fun day ahead of him when he gets up, probably he had to do some shoveling last night just to get the car in the yard.  Last storm his wife hailed down a guy plowing across the street and got his number to call for the next storm.  Hopefully he got there before my son got out of work.

P.S.  I have not had a tree on the bottom of posting box.  Just that once, and as soon as I started typing it disappeared.  Guess they figure I posted too many pics in the past.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Goodness, tt, nice job he did. The car was what did me in, actually, shoulder wise.  I didn't think to take something yesterday, unfortunately.  Maybe will remember next time.

I'm on my way to the grocery store as soon as I check for cake and frosting ingredients.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning all,
    We finally managed to go out and celebrate my birthday last night. Went to Fleming's in Boston and our friends from RI drove up to join us. Had a lovely evening. Fleming's is an up-scale steakhouse and you really feel you are celebrating there. The service is exceptional and the food is wonderful. One can say, a steak is a steak is a steak. But it is not true. This is the 3rd time we have been there, and every time I have found their meat being different from anywhere else. So flavorful and tender one can cut it with fork. DH ordered their Filet Mignon, and I their sashimi tuna - sharing both. I even got a birthday card with a $25 gift card for our next visit. And this morning I had an e-mail from them with a thank you note.
    I am glad we went. The streets were clear; just wet. And very little traffic from being a Friday night in Boston. Everyone must have been busy at home cleaning their cars and driveways.
    We still have lots of snow here everywhere, but the path we did clean is now completely melted and dry. We will let nature take care of the rest. Lots of sore backs today, I am sure.
    Hope you get your car cleared, tt, so you can get out to get the last few things for the party. When do you have to pick up the cake? If you can get to it and get it started, the heat from inside the car should melt the bottom layer of the snow, and it will all slide off. Too bad your plow guy didn't do a better job, but I have to say $5 for shoveling your stairs is a bargain.
    The plow guy, who does our parking lot at the office is really taking us for a ride this year. Not only has he subbed it out to someone else, but he is charging us for things, we didn't ask him to do. Like salting the entire parking lot, which we believe wasn't even done. We had to salt the sidewalks and stairs ourselves. I am sure, DH will have a good talk w/ him. 
    Glad you are feeling better, Kar. A night of missing sleep can take time to recuperate from. Will you be going skiing too with your sore shoulder?
    Doing some cleaning and laundry today. Then dinner tonight with the vegetarians.
    Have a good day everyone.

ps. That "tree" was only there for a couple of hours, I believe. Wish they could get the photo option up and running again.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

How nice, Pingo!  Sounds like an excellent place for special evenings out.  I agree, a steak is NOT necessarily a steak.  I went on a business trip to El Paso, and the steak there spoiled me.  I bet Flemings serves what they have there.  Flavorful, tender, perfectly cooked.  Good you didn't have to put it off due to the storm, as well.  

Ugh, dealing with the subbed out plow issue...your poor DH.  Confrontations like that are not fun but sometimes, obviously, necessary.

DH's oldest friend is here, and he's pulled a muscle in his neck from shoveling.  I just heated up our microwaveable neck wrap for him and within 30 seconds he had color back in his face.  Poor guy!

No, I thought better of skiing with my shoulder messed up. :(  Looks like DH and friend aren't going either - they are pouring over the snowmobile...not sure what they are looking for, lol.

Water is running everywhere, and the gravel driveway is all mud.  Such is March.  DH is so sad to have had 25" of snow only to just watch it melt.  

I got all the fixins for DH's birthday dinner Monday night.  The lamb was much cheaper than usual...I hope it's OK.  Talked to SIL, and she is making "regular" decadent cupcakes to bring to work for DH's birthday despite her knowing they make him sick.  So, I wonder if I should even bother with mine if hers will be better (obviously) and he'll be sick anyway.  What's the point?  Frustrating.

Gorgeous day...I should take a walk, but I think I'll make biscuits for tonight's strawberry shortcakes so I don't have to feel rushed tonight.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Making your cupcakes was going to be an act of love - why would you decide not to still do that for him?  He can enjoy both.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

They are very expensive to make with sprouted organic flour, organic cold pressed coconut oil, and organic coconut sugar.  They don't taste better, they just keep him from being sick which he will be, anyway, so there's really no point.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

What will you have instead?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Such a shame, SIL is not thinking of her brother's ailments, Kar. I can just imagine, how frustrated you must be. Just curious. Is DH and SIL working together?
    I would go ahead and make your cupcakes anyway. That is what you planned after all. One cupcake at work, may not make DH terribly ill, and he can come home and eat 3 of yours.

How is your car, tt? Did you get to go out at all, or is it still covered with snow. Everything around here is smelting like crazy. Can hear the water dripping everywhere. And the cleared path in our driveway gets wider and wider. Any more water spots on your ceiling? After all that melting snow, it is a good test, to see if they finally got it this time. I do hope so, so your nightmare will be gone once and for all.

Been cleaning like crazy all day. Just finished the kitchen floor. Now lay down for half an hour or so. Then get ready for tonight. Have a good one everyone.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just as I was getting ready to go out and clear the car, my intown son stopped by with the liquor.  He was disgusted to see how it had been left.  He cleaned off the car (no easy task) and shoveled all around it, and widened my child size path out back.  A little later I ran up to S&S and picked up salad fixings and got more milk.  Cake wasn't ready, so I will pick it up tomorrow as originally planned.

No signs of any more water spots.  Another day or so as all has melted will, as you say, be a good test.  A lot of traffic on the roads today.

I've been busy as a bee today too, made a batch of scones, frosted cupcakes, made Spanish Cream, stewed chicken and cut it up all ready for ala king tomorrow.  Two of the breasts I just saved and sliced on a plate.  I always cook my chicken with garlic in water anyway, so it already has that flavor plus the salt and pepper.  It will be there is pumpkin wants some.  Also got the crockpot down onto counter ready for kielbasa, and took out all dishes I wanted to use for various condiments.  Have a Red Baron pizza in oven now for an easy supper.  Never tried theirs before, but it looks good.  Got the 4 cheese one.

Have a good time tonight, Pingo.  I was ready for a nap earlier, but have got my second wind now.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I suppose I'll make them but it does boil my blood that we go to that expense and I go to the lengths I do only to have them ultimatly foiled.

wow, you guys put me to shame today - I lazed around except for the groceries and biscuits.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Don't be hard on yourself - there are days that you outrun us by a mile.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hee hee hee, I don't know about that, but thanks, tt! :) 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Kar...I wonder how well they freeze....As you know, my Honey's family is cursed with gluten allergies that put us in yet another sisterhood...I have always found these sort of substituted recipes to NOT freeze well...BUT...if you could find some (although maybe costly) freezer friendly cupcake....that could be qute an acomplishment.