March 2013!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: March 2013!

Oh, sorry, Nov, I misunderstood.  They are not the same recipe as cake, like hats said. I've never had them, but the demo I saw showed them altering the normal cake recipe in what seemed like a sacrificial way in order to get the pops to stay together.  They make a cute display, but that's about it, imo, given what I saw (not what I actually experienced).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Good to know.  I had no idea it was a different recipe.  I've never had a cakepop.  Maybe I will rethink the display to have a regular cake and use real lollipops as decorations of some sort?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

In response to Novembride's comment:

Good to know.  I had no idea it was a different recipe.  I've never had a cakepop.  Maybe I will rethink the display to have a regular cake and use real lollipops as decorations of some sort?

Just to make it really clear I have had cake pops and they aren't as good as cake, IMNSHO.  Novembride, do you do Pinterest?  you might get some good ideas for decorations from there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

November, I second Hat's Costco Cakes. They are not only inexpensive, but they are delicious. I had them served several times. I have seen they have carrot cake cup cakes. I think it was 6 for $5.99. (I had their carrot cake; it was yummy). If they do carrot cup cakes, I am sure they can do others as well. They are very helpful at the bakery; will do anything you ask.
    I never had pop cakes, but I saw a recipe for them, and it was changed quite a bit from a cake recipe.
    Thanks for the advice on the meat loaves. That makes me ask. Has anyone used the silicone pans? One is supposed to just pop the muffins/cup cakes out - no papers. But do they bake like the regular pans? Just curious. I have two aged pans, I love.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Novem, you could do cupcakes instead of a regular cake. I've never had cake pops.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I will have to wait until I am home to Pinterest, or I will get nothing done!!  There are lots of good dieas on there.  Both the centerpiece and cake at my baby shower were "pinned" I'm told.

Cupcakes are an option, but I think I will go with a traditional cake.  Just thought the lollipop rattles would be cute.  We'll see.  There isn't even a theme yet.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I am going to a baby shower in April - - is that the one you're planning?  Would be funny, if true.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Haha, it would be funny, but not to be this time.  Mine is in May.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The rattles were a cute idea, Nov.

pingo, I've never used the silicon bakeware.

The sprouted flour, coconut sugar cupcakes are FABULOUS!!!  You'd never suspect they are practically health food, honestly.  Light, fluffy, chocolatey, and just sweet enough.  The sugar free cream cheese frosting is OK, it does the trick, but nothing to really write home about.  However, as a whole package, I'm thrilled, and DH will be, too...can't wait!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Novembride's comment:

Haha, it would be funny, but not to be this time.  Mine is in May.

This shower is to be held in MA but is being planned by someone who lives in NH.  I thought I remembered that you live there.  Anyway, wrong month.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I was just going thinking what to dessert to bring to G.T.'s for Easter.  The one you just posted, sounds delicious, Hats.  Only question, "warm the caramel of butterscotch ice cream sauce slightly" -- does it then get hard or stick to your teeth consistency?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

What a busy day today. I was working on a graph with some historical data, I enjoy doing these types of things. I'll be haeded out in about 22 minutes. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

I was just going thinking what to dessert to bring to G.T.'s for Easter.  The one you just posted, sounds delicious, Hats.  Only question, "warm the caramel of butterscotch ice cream sauce slightly" -- does it then get hard or stick to your teeth consistency?

No, not at all.  I just microwave it a little to make it pourable, but it does not get hard unless you over heat it - or when you pour it over cold ice cream.  Here the cake is room temp, and it soaks into the cake,  so all is well.  You could add/substitute some kind of liquor, too, I imagine a little bourbon or whiskey combined with the butterscotch would be heavenly but of course not everyone can have/wants to have/should have alcohol.

ETA wish for the millionth time we could post pics, it was so spectacular that I took lots. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm definitely going to go with that.  Sounds so good.  I checked with G.T. to be sure partner was not planning on making his famous mile high apple pie.  G.T.'s MIL brings a chocolate trifle, and I think it will be nice to have the apple one, which is so different.  Everyone brings a dessert so we pick and choose and takes slivers of this and that, and scoops of that delicious chocolate trifle, now there'll be scoops of a delicious apple trifle too!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to pingo's comment:

Good morning,

Happy birthday to Mr. Kargiver!

Had one of those nights, after sleeping so well for a couple of nights. I never understand why. No changes from the daily routine. I may have had 3 - 4 hours sleep max. In bits and pieces. Oh well, what else is new.
    On my way shortly to my PT. I skipped Friday due to the storm, so I am sure it will hurt today, even though I do all my stretching exercises at home. May just come home afterwards and take a nap.
    The meatloaf cup cake idea I like. Will do that the next time I make it. How long do you bake them? They do have to be cooked all the way through.
    Safe trip to the airport, Kar. Put some good loud music on, and sing to it all the way. Should relieve some of the tension. You have to be in top shape for DH's birthday dinner. With what did you decide to substitute the spinach?

PS. Did your friend enjoy TJ's?

I was with you last night, Pingo.  Slept 2 hours and then woke up and stayed awake until 5:00 when I fell back asleep for a couple of hours.  Bad pain.  Before getting out of bed this morning, remembered what a physical therapist had taught me a few years ago - that pain when it encompasses the area it does on me, is a sign the hip has slightly slipped out of socket.  Lay flat on your back, bend your opposite knee and with your hands, gently, slowly draw it up as close to your chest as you can, hold it there for a few minutes and slowly lower it.  This manipulates your painful hip to slip back in place.  Worked for me this morning and I have been practically pain free all day even with up and down bending.

Used up some  leftover salad and made a macaroni salad to top it with.  Having the rest of the minestrone soup for supper, and have frozen the lasagna and leftover chicken slices.  My freezer is a cave of individual serving containers at this point.

Happy Birthday to your DH, Kargiver.  I know he'll appreciate all you went to to make the cupcakes specially for his enjoyment.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just posted another question re quantities of each to fill the trifle bowl, Hats.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I just posted a response and then hit the wron button...grrrrr

.Cake pops cost 3.00 a piece...like those you describe...they usually come individually wrapped and bowed

the cake is more cost effective...cupcakes are most cost effective

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Am I missing something? Hats, where did you post your dessert? The bits and pieces, I got through tt's questions, make it sound like a lovely dessert.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I posted it in recipes, in the thread about Red Velvet Trifle.  Will go over there now and check out TT's question.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Just went outside.  All the snowdrops are visible, the daffs are about 4 inches high, and it looks like a lovely day!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I didn't notice anything coming up out front where grape hyacinths are usually the first shoots I see - but of course, front stairs were demolished and huge rocks dug up and rolled all over there.  Bet my bulbs took a beating.  Most of the snow in the front and back yard is gone now.

Want to make up a batch of scones for breakfast, to use the light cream while it's still good.  May go out poking this morning, haven't been to a Big Lots in a while.  There's one in Lynn and I haven't been there in a while either.

Got your quantity amounts, Hats.  Thanks.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I went and looked at my grape hyacinths and saw some last year's growth, but no new growth.  Later I'll go take the pine branches off the tulip bed - replanted that this year - covered it with the pine branches that came down in the hurricane to keep the squirrels and deer away from the new bulbs - and see if there are any signs of new growth there. 

In any case, snowdrops are always the earliest - they will bloom in January if the ground is not covered with snow, and they did bloom in Jan. last year.  They will bloom under snow as they did this year, because they appeared yesterday fully opened.  The crocus are not up yet, nor the wind anemones.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning,

I feel for you ladies not sleeping well - that really saps you.  Tt, thank goodness you remembered what to do for your hip!

The cupcakes were a huge hit, very satisfying.  And, even with the frosting they were only 270 calories each in addition to being very low inflammation.  Icer, they froze perfectly - texture and taste were unaffected post thaw.

And, dinner was excellent if I do say so.  DH agreed so I guess I can. ;)  The lamb came out as delicious as ever despite my using brown rice cakes instead of white wheat bread.  So, Pingo, if you ever have to make them gluten free that's the way!  The stuffing packed in and around the lamb perfectly (I used soft clarified herbed butter and some lemon juice to moisten along with the mustard), and the taste was literally indistinguishable.  Had roasted asparagus with the same herbed clarified butter I used in the lamb stuffing.  And, simple mashed turnip from our garden.  

Not much planned for today, but I do need to go light calorie wise - I ate 3 cupcakes and a decent portion of the stuffed lamb yesterday.  It was totallyl worth it, but now that my budget is about what I really do burn, I can't go over and not make up for it.

pretty sunny day out - will definitely be taking Gracie for her walk.  We missed it yesterday for all my work in the kitchen.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Glad your supper was a success, Kargiver.  Laughed reading you ate 3 cupcakes - when I made my scones this morning for breakfast, I decided to cut them into 8 sections (like the recipe says) instead of the usual 6 I do.  Mistake!  One wasn't enough for me and I ended up eating 2 - which combined turned out to be larger than my usual one of six.  Should know by now to "leave well enough alone"!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyeon. Happy birthday to your DH Kar. Your dinner sounds good. I love lamb but DH does not like it all. tt, I'll be more then happy to help you get rid of the scones. 

Sections
Shortcuts