March 2013!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: March 2013!

Winter, you lucky dog!  You got the best of the Portuguese genes - I got the big nose, and that's it, lol.  I'm super fair and burn like crazy thanks to my mom's side.

tt, what an imagination you have, loving the daydream about the moon dropping by your backyard to play.  That's what telling an imaginative child about the Man in the Moon will produce! :)

DH should be home soon.  I have put myself together...just in time, there's the door, I think...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Kar, I did get thick ankles which all the girl cousins on my dad's side seem to have. tt, what a great imagination, that's awesome that the moon stopped to play with you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, you guys can call it "imagination", if you want, but I know he did.  He said he'd play with me as long as I didn't touch him.  I couldn't resist tho, and the minute I did, he went back up into the sky !!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

What did he feel like? I imagine it was soft and silk like.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I don't know why, but that made me choke up, tt - so innocent and beautifully childlike.

thick ankles?  I'd take those if it meant I never got a sunburn, lol. Genetics is interesting...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Interesting discussion going on here.

Just came back from PT. Stopped by at 5 Below, to pick up a couple of ankle weights. Saw a great birthday card for all your red haired. It said, "H B to a perfect red haired" - then it  explained, that by 2250, there will be no more red haired around. Apparently the gene pool have changed so much with all the inter culture marriages.

tt, too bad I missed the program. I can't tell you which town might have been featured. Towns like this are dotted all over the map. The locals take great pride in keeping the towns just the way they looked back then. At least on the outside. The majority of these homes and farm houses have been renovated with modern facilities.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

I have been having a horrible time posting but wanted to add my two cents about the cake pops...........

I have made them by hand and the directions call for you to follow the regular cake recipes and to not use one that pudding in it.  Then you add frosting (not whipped).  You do have to freeze them with the sticks in them in order to be able to dip and decorate.  Then refrigerate again before wrapping.  Let me tell you they looked fabulous and tasted wonderful but the work, yikes.  I made dozens!!

Also cake pops in general do not stay on the stick well after one bite.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Red heads are fading out?  We should buy stock in henna-based hair coloring, lol.

allready, would you make them again?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Yes.  They did over very well!!  But I would have to prepare myself again for the work it takes from start to finish.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good to know, thanks!  Not sure I'll ever be up to the task, but knowing what goes into a project before you start is always helpful.

Speaking of projects, DH just finished redoing my brakes.  Graice is "helping."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re the pop cakes. Yesterday I glanced in a magazine while waiting in line at the register. They were making Easter pop cakes. Here they baked a cake as usual, crumbled it all up and added some frosting. Mixed it up well and took clumps out and formed to shape. Let it sit in the ref. until solid. Then decorated them.
    To fasten the pops, they stuck the pop in the ball, removed it, poured a bit of frosting in the hole then stuck the pop back in.
    If anyone is tempted to do them, this seems like a much easier way to do them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Cake pops are easy..but time consuming just th same

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Icer, we just thawed some sprouted flour cupcakes - excellent.

despite last night's, uh, drama, we had a good day.  DH is off today - Monday.  He is rebuilding all my brakes, such a cheap thing if you can do it yourself...$40 per rotor!  I didn't let them go, he just likes to replace it all every 50k miles. :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My fabulous bras are going back...the cups are just a tad too big so the straps won't stay put.  At $50 a pop they better be exactly what I want.  However, the reason I compromised to begin with is that the two stores I went to (Soma and VS) don't carry my ideal size.  Guess I have to go the online route since they both measured me and came up with the same answer.  When will I be in Natick, again?  I think a lunch plan is in order. :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

funny...Honey does brakes too...he doesn't do oil changes or tire rotation...but brakes,,,he does

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The brakes looked like a big job - funny to take that on but not oil. But, hey, it's the biggest labor money saver so that's the one to choose!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Replacing brakes? Sweet memories. Our professor son took a couple of evening courses in Auto Mechanics of all things. He wanted to do something to relax??? During that time, we could always find him under one of our cars. We had a good thing going. He changed oil on our cars, rotated the tires and then took them to get balanced. He bought an old jeep, which is still collecting dust in our garage. He worked on that car, so even though it is old, it like brand new as far as driving conditions are concerned. Among other things he did the brakes. He did not replace the rotors, but he ground the old ones, so they were like new. I can still see him bring home one of them proudly. I did it myself.
    We can open a Service Garage here with all the tools he acquired. Tools are expensive, so I don't think, he saved much money. But he had fun getting dirty.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, that is really cool.  You know, DH does it to relax, too, isn't that funny?  He said that next time he'd ground the ones he just put in down so they'd be like new like your son did.  Maybe your son didn't save any money, but it was cheaper than having a mechanic do it AND seeing a therapist for stress management!  

DH is getting ready to go out and ski, and Gracie has plunked down outside the bathroom door while he showers and is making sorrowful noises.  She is truly a "Lassie" in the way she follows him around.

Cold out...Winter isn't done with us, yet.  Not sure what's on the docket today, but I do need to cook something new.  The lamb is gone - I used the last of it in a curried brown rice dish that really transformed it deliciously.  And, there is one more portion of mini-meatloaves that I intend to give DH for lunch...not sure what will go with since all the sides are gone.  Maybe will bake some potatoes.  Dinner is currently undecided, but I definitely need to go to the grocery store first.

Time to get the stove going...brrrrrr!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    You still have enough snow to go skiing, Kar? Except for a pile here and there, our yard is clean. But I guess not for long. Another storm is brewing out west. Should hit us Monday/Tuesday. How much we are getting, they haven't decided yet.
    I made pork tenderloin the R-o-L way last night. Very good. And I had a bunch of fat asparagus to go with it. I had leftover of the mustard/lemon/oil mixture, so I brushed the asparagus with that instead of just oil. Delicious.
    We will have leftover noodle casserole for lunch. Don't know, what's for dinner tonight. I picked up a pack of artichokes at TJ's last week. Will probably do those, if they are still good. If not, I have plenty in the freezer. Maybe filet of flounders with squashed fingerling potatoes and coleslaw.
    I also want to cook up a batch of my cabbage soup to have on hand. Plus I need to use some brown bananas, and DH wants sugar cookies. Oh dear, where do I start?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Sounds as tho you have a day of cooking ahead of you, Pingo.  I'm waiting for 11:00 and GD to come.  Have a few things I want her Dad to do when he drops her off.  Don't quite trust my hip to do any climbing, so he'll be in charge of getting down the sprinkles and food coloring off the top shelf.  Have a couple of 14lb. litter containers in the car trunk that I want him to bring in and put down cellar too.  It'll be vanilla whoopie pies today, with green tinted filling.  Not my cup of tea, but it's what she wants to do.  Tore out a page from a magazine to show her for an Easter idea, cupcakes with 3 different tints/flavors in each one.  Already have all the ingredients - S&S had a lot of sales yesterday, and many were things I use.  Forgot to check out the caramel topping for the apple trifle, but have the cake and pie filling.

Reading about the guys doing brakes, one of my sons always does the brakes on their cars too.  Guess it's a man thing.

Filling the feeder this morning, I looked down and there were shoots coming up, can't quite remember just what bulbs were planted there.  Probably tulips.  I feel badly about the grape hyacinths that seem to be gone from out front.  They were originally planted when we moved here - 49 years ago.  They may yet surprise me and poke up, having survived all the demolition.

Want to get the cookie sheet and parchment paper out, as well as the sifter and bowl.  Like things to be ready to go when she gets here, so that she doesn't get bored with the mundane stuff.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We only have enough snow, really, in the woods where the sun can't reach well.  They are guessing 6 - 12" for our area next week; not sure about the North Shore.

YUM - the lamb stuffing would be SO good on pork, too.  And, I also had leftover ingredients and put it on the asparagus.  Great minds think alike!  It was delectable.  Sounds like banana bread is in order in the Pingo kitchen - those bananas are calling your name!  That doesn't take long.  While it's baking you can whip up the sugar cookies, and then the oven will be all hot and ready to go.  It's going to smell so good in your house!

We have dessert sewn up for a little while given how nicely the cupcakes froze, and I'm not planning on eating any more; saving them for DH since I can have anything else with ordinary ingredients and not "pay" for it.

Got the fire going, and it feels so nice.  I was being lazy, but my frozen fingers had finally had enough.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We posted at the same moment, tt!  Glad you have help with the heavy stuff; would hate to see your hip give out.  Have a wonderful time today with GD!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Good to know Kar...that the cupcakes freeze well...I am making or should I say trying to make gluten free calzones...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

these weren't gluten free, just low gluten given the fact that it was organic (GMO wheat flour has more gluten than the original) and sprouted.  Check out the Ezekiel flour on amazon.  GL with the GF calzones!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

DH just came back from his tennis match and is enjoying his cookies w/ a cuppa, while watching a match on the TV. I make regular drop sugar cookies, but add ground ginger and a bit of all spice to my sugar cookies, so they get a hint of spice. He loves them that way.
    Whipped up a batch of banana muffins, while the cookies were in the oven. They are about to be ready. The cabbage soup have been simmering for an hour and smells wonderful. The smell met DH when he got home, and he told me that this is what he wants for dinner tonight. I am not going to protest. So my kitchen duty is almost over for today.
    Did a couple of loads of laundry. One half load is still in the dryer. The rest is folded and put away. With only two people at home, I don't know, where it all comes from. Lots to be ironed, but that will have to wait.
    Haven't been out yet, but the house feels cold, so it must be very cold out. Any news about the expected storm?
    tt, I have a tomato question for GT, whenever you speak w/ him. It is not urgent; I am only preparing myself for the growing season.

Sections
Shortcuts