March 2013!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: March 2013!

Well, TT, maybe you should write a letter to the new people outlining what you expect them to do, and look for a new company for next year.  Can in-town son help with names for that?  I agree for now the best idea is to have the former owner call the new one...

I just did the dishes and am in the process of calling people to check on how they are doing.  Some older people, and younger working people who will be home like you Winter, because their children will be out of school.

I have to bake a birthday cake this weekend, so I don't really want to bake today, but the temptation to turn on the oven and make some brownies is very great.  Will bake potatoes for dinner to make sure there's warmth inside and out after shovelling.  Though the snow has stopped now, the forecast calls for more this late afternoon.  Ugh.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Actually I had called them to get the name and number of the new plowing guys.  He said he would call them, wonder if they are working for him.  Otherwise since he had given them his customer list and numbers, they should have called the list confirming and clarified what their charges would be.  I did get the name of the company and looked up their number so I have it now.  Wasn't sure if he was finishing out the year or turning it over to them as of the last storm.  Anyway, come next Fall I'll be searching for a plower/shoveler.  I don't have to get out today and it's already turned to rain here.

I just rummaged through my recipe box, thinking of brownies, thinking of cookies, thinking of something sweet to bake.  There's not a cookie in the house.  A little sick to my stomach this morning, so not overly ambitious.  Didn't see anything that appealed to me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Did you make brownies, Hats?  Mine are in the oven.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Too bad about the plow guys doing such an abysmal job, tt - what do they think the point of their job IS?  

I'd like a brownie, please.  Maybe I'll whip up a batch myself. Hope your stomach feels good enough to have one, tt.

I shoveled this morning since DH is still struggling with his pulled muscle, and we got about 5 or 6".  How did we get the least around?!  I'm not complaining, lol, it's our turn to get less.  Windy and we are expecting more snow this afternoon.  Not looking forward to our walk today, either, but what can ya do.  Gracie has been snoozing in front of the stove most of the day.

He left around 10:30 since he was having trouble getting work done without a desk, mouse, etc.  

I'm going to the trips' house tomorrow.  Hm, I could make cookie dough today and take it for her to freeze or bake...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Yes, I did make the brownies. And I added walnuts and mini-morsels too.   I felt guilty that DH was shoveling and I was inside lolling around...when he came in he sniffed them and was delighted so I felt that I was at least doing something for him - he is addicted to soda and we are out of the kind he likes so he's drinking seltzer.  He's having his sandwich and I will offer him a brownie and then go out to the library for some books even though I of course have a large in-pile.  TT I wish I could offer you some from my extensive collection.

Don't you agree that putting walnuts in brownies makes them healthy ;-) ?  And the potatoes are soaking for tonight. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I do, I do.  I sometimes even frost them by melting morsels on top and spreading with a spatula.  I had one plain (with walnuts), and then a second that I poured some cherry juice over, drizzled on some chocolate sauce, squirted on some whipped cream, and placed a cherry on top!  Now I've got to cover the pan with foil so I can't see them!  lol

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

They are serious health food now with walnuts and all those anti-oxidents in the cherry juice and chocolate sauce. ;)

I'm about to make my first batch with the sprouted flour...hopefully, they come out fudgy and delicious.  No sense making treats for DH he can eat without getting sick that aren't actually treats.

Oh, and I couldn't wait to return my VS bras before trying new ones online after getting measured as the same size by the third independant party (Soma, VS, Lady Grace).  I even broke out the ol' tape measure and confirmed it myself before ordering 2 in that size.  3 well-fitting ones should be enough, right?  Let's hope I don't have to return them...shipping $$!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

The secret for fudgy brownies which you probably already know, is not to bake them too long.  These today I did at 350 for only 25 minutes and they came out perfect - for me.  30 minutes makes a cake-like brownie and I prefer the fudgy.

Good luck with your order.  I usually buy 3 at a time.

Just opened the front storm door and shoveled the snow off the top deck and just a steppijng path down the 4 stairs.  Heavy, wet, snow.  I won't try the back, but am afraid even now to look down cellar and see if it is leaking in, now that the rain is dissolving some of it out there.

ETA:  Just peeked and it's still dry.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, tt - it's always a difficult thing for me to figure out if it's fudgy or underdone, lol.  I do try to err on the side of less done as I, too, prefer them that way.

I have one bra that fits perfectly so that would make 3 total.  They are so expensive I hate to go too nuts.  If I need more I'll hopefully have 3 tried and true styles that fit to choose from.

I hope your basement continues to stay dry, tt.  I'm concerned that you have to shovel; your hips are already giving you trouble, and shoveling makes anything ailing your bones that much worse. I know; my bad shoulder is giving me you know what right now!

It's snowing, again, here - round 2.  I warmed up the car and got the 5" off, and I reshoveled the steps as slushy stuff was accumulating a bit.  Took 3 seconds.  I bet I'll have to do another whole shoveling before DH gets home so he won't be tempted.  He has to plow as it is, but at least that doesn't put any strain on that pulled muscle.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

My supper tonight, Hats, will be pre cooked chicken sauteed with the potatoes/carrots left from the boiled dinner.  Already finished off the corned beef.  It was so good and such a nice lean piece, I couldn't leave it alone.

Question:  When you layer your dessert, is one of the layers whipped cream too, or do you just put that on the very top?  I ask because I googled a couple and they just show adding the whipped cream to the top.  I haven't ever put one together since the days of the "sex in a bowl" and can't remember how I did it.  Think having some in between the layers would be delish, but I'm wondering if real whipped cream would hold up in there, if I make it in the morning and then transport it to western MA for a 2:00 dinner - what do you suggest?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I put whipped cream between the layers as well.  As long as you keep it cold-ish - can you transport in a cooler or cardboard box with some of those cold packs - it should be just fine.  As I stated before, I think it's the whippie that makes it so good. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks.  I agree as far as the taste factor.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just got my belated Happy Birthday song on the guitar by cookie baking GD.  So cute.  Yesterday her father and I had been talking while he was taking her for her guitar lesson.  She yelled in the background, "And I can play 'happy birthday'"  I asked her when she got home to call me and play it.  He called now and I told him I never got it.  She got the guitar and plunked away - 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

DH stopped in for lunch. So nice. I remember the days, when I was at home with the boys, and he would do that often.

It is raining here now. I just looked at the radar, and yes, it is snowing where you are, Kar. The first band went out to sea, but there is another large band (now in the Worcester area) coming our way. The commute home will not be pretty.

DH widened his morning path, when he was home for lunch. The first one was clear to the ground; I hope the rest will follow. It is going to be cold tonight, and it won't be fun to wake up to rock frozen snow tmw. morning.

I spend the morning sorting my closet. 3 piles. One that still fits, one I will be able to make to fit, and one to give away. I still have the new stuff, I bought in January in Texas,  I haven't worn yet. So I am in a pretty good shape. Need new bras too. They are on the last row of hooks and becoming loose. Maybe another shopping trip will take place in TX. I love to shop w/ my DIL. She has a good sense of style, and suggest things I would never pick up myself, but I have gotten so many compliments on and come to love.

Hope your cellar stays dry, tt. How is your roof doing? Today should be a pretty good test, with the heavy snow and the melting.

Hope everyone makes it home safely.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

It is sleeting very hard here; I can hear it beating on the windows.

TT, I was reading a book where a roof began leaking and I thought I hope TT's is ok now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Aw, tt. How nice to have your GD play Happy Birthday for you on her guitar. I love it, when children pick up an instrument. It is getting rarer and rarer these days with the computers, iPads etc.
    Oldest son is a drummer (or a percussionist as it is called correctly), and pretty good at it. Once performed at the Hatch Shell in Boston. One of the few belongings, youngest son has shipped to England, is his piano.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, how sweet you got a guitar BD greeting from GD!  I played classical guitar when I was her age...I can relate to her excitement. :)

Pingo, CONGRATS on 20 lbs lost!!!  You must be VERY close if you haven't hit that milestone already.  Don't be shy about sharing the great news.  You must feel like a million bucks having gone through your closet and how exciting to look forward to a shopping trip with DIL.  I wish I could come if you'd have me!  I am getting the foundation issue taken care of, but I still need new Spring/Summer stuff, too.  Last Spring I was 25 lbs heavier...

Yup, you got a good picture of what's going on here - SNOW!!!!  It's coming down hard.  I'll definitely have to shovel right before DH is due to arrive.  He will be disappointed on the one hand because he does actually enjoy shoveling and doesn't like having me do it but relieved on the other due to his messed up neck/shoulder.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Ceilings so far are looking good, Pingo - and Hats.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

DS and I have been watching Harry potter movies today. We started at the second one, since we watched the first one last week. We are on the fifth one now. Everyone's brownies are making me want some. tt, glad you have no water in the basemethose dont have any in ours either.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, your dinner choice tells me you must have known it is "National Poultry Day!" today. Who else knew? LOL

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt what a great gift of your GD playing for you. Since my DS goes to private school, sadly he godsend get an instrument choice, but he does sing in the choir.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, I haven't gotten the badge yet, but I am close.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Winter, this is not through school, son bought her a guitar for Christmas because she was so interested in his.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Nope, Pingo, had no clue it was national poultry day!  lol  Just looked in freezer and said, "What can I take out for supper?"  There was the baggie of the cooked chicken pieces right in front.  Love it sauteed in butter, and what better way to use  up the potato and carrots from Sunday.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

That's great tt. I played the violin in school, but that is the last thing DS would ever want to play. I'm glad my DS likes singing and acting. 

Sections
Shortcuts