March 2013!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: March 2013!

Great test of the roof work today, tt; glad to hear it's holding up well so far.

pingo, I bet you are mere ounces away - how exciting!!!  Oh, and you have to weigh in twice at or under that weight to get the badge, just so you aren't disappointed when you make it but don't immediately get the 20 lbs Lost recognition.

I noticed the HP movies are on one of the movie stations as of late, Winter - sounds like a fun snow day.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Cupcake papers to top mason jars, thought of you Kar.

Use cupcake liners to cover mason jars! Great for party favors.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

What a neat idea.  They have such great patterns now too.  I bought a lot of different ones in Marshall's for the Christmas baskets.  Got some beautiful tulip ones (they stand alone, don't need a baking cupcake tin) for myself the other day.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

VERY cute!!!  Thanks, Hats!  I'll remember that - I love it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

That is so awesome, Hats. So pretty looking. Will copy and paste to my canning DIL. She will love it. She cuts circles out of scrap cloth, but this is so much nicer and easier.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

And you can just throw them away if you are the recipient, I always feel guilty about throwing cloth but what can you do with just a little circle!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Ihavemyhats' comment:

And you can just throw them away if you are the recipient, I always feel guilty about throwing cloth but what can you do with just a little circle!

You can make a yoyo and purchase other complimetary material to make enough for a small pillow or table scarf.  I save all scraps of cloth in a shoe box and every so often take it out and sew up some yoyos.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Dirty secret - I don't sew!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It isn't really sewing, you turn the edge of the circle down just a little and do a running stitch of double thread all the way around, pull ends until it puckers together into a flat quarter size circle, and tie the ends.  Mindless busy work for your hands.  G.T. has a gorgeous bedspread made of them, given to him by my Fla friend who passed away at the age of 89.  It had been made by her aunt - quite a gift for him to have to remember her by.  She was always a very generous woman - the one who used to live next door when we moved here.  Her children were grown and whenever she saw that I was in need of something, anything, over she'd come with "something I don't use anymore, you can borrow it" -- like the gold drapes with ornate tiebacks for our l.r. - me with four noisy, rambunctious boys - had these theater production type gold drapes, fringed tiebacks and all! -- Anyway, it was she who taught me to make them.  Now GD asked if I would make a small pillow of different patterned green yoyos  for her teacher who was born in Ireland.  The torch gets passed -

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, never heard of those kind of yoyos before. So I had to google it. Awesome idea. You can even buy a frame to stick them in, while you are stitching them. One bedspread was pictured. Over 2000 yoyos. It was beautiful. I have tons of scrap material. Now, you got me thinking.
    Re your GD, who asked you to make a pillow for her teacher. Try to have her make a couple of the yoyos with you. They don't seem to be hard to make - even for a child. That way the torch really gets passed, and she will be so proud, when she gives the pillow to her teacher. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, brownies!  I made the food network's "Fudgy brownies" with 4 oz coconut oil instead of butter, coconut sugar instead of white, and the Ezekiel flour instead of all-purpose.  They are not low calorie (350 calories for 1/9th of the 8x8 pan recipe), but they are low inflammation for DH.  They taste great and the texture, too, is indistinguishable from the original in our opinions.  And, they are very low gluten for anyone who can tolerate a bit if not a lot per goodie.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, all!

Just a few seconds here while DH is getting ready to leave at 7 to remind you that today's the trips day. :)  I'll be packing DH's lunch, getting dressed in a mad dash, walking Gracie, and leaving at 8:00.  Then, back as late as I can for Gracie to go out, probably 3:00, to give her a proper long walk.  

Oh, yeah, I need to fit in a good breakfast or I'll faint away mid morning.

Will check in this afternoon.  Hoping everyone has a wonderful day.

~kar

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Have a great day Kar.  I am sure they are all looking forward to your visit!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to pingo's comment:

tt, never heard of those kind of yoyos before. So I had to google it. Awesome idea. You can even buy a frame to stick them in, while you are stitching them. One bedspread was pictured. Over 2000 yoyos. It was beautiful. I have tons of scrap material. Now, you got me thinking.
    Re your GD, who asked you to make a pillow for her teacher. Try to have her make a couple of the yoyos with you. They don't seem to be hard to make - even for a child. That way the torch really gets passed, and she will be so proud, when she gives the pillow to her teacher. 

Good morning, Pingo

Was amazed to see that there was actually a yoyo holder - so unnecessary - and so time consuming.   Making much more work out of it than there really is.   You start by cutting a bunch of uniform circles, practice will tell you how large, according to the size yoyo you want to end up with, (remembering that when it's gathered together it will be much smaller).  Then take each one and with your fingers, turn under about 1/4 inch and work around with small stitches (smaller than what they took), at the end drawing  it together and tying.  Using that holder, would make the whole process about 3 times longer to make each one, than necessary.  These whip up quickly by hand.  I was taught that the smaller the stitches, the better, so take that into consideration when you choose your thread, (thicker thread needing larger holed needle, resulting in larger stitches).  They're right that regular thread is not strong enough, but because I do embroidery, I've used double strands of embroidery thread and found it works well.  I've made pillows for DIL's, a scarf for my bedside table, and when pumpkin's mom was young, I bought a sweatshirt and appliqued a yoyo heart in the center.

My plan was to show GD how easy it is, and have her make as many or few as she feels like.  I have loads of different shade of green patterned material left from Christmas tree ornaments (forgot about those) that I made for G.T.'s first party at the holidays.  It's endless what you can come up with for putting them together, even did a small doll coverlet.  The only thing I wouldn't recommend it for would be a baby coverlet - too easy to catch little fingers in there and pull them apart.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Thank you, tt, for your in depth yoyo instructions. I thought the same; the yoyo holder must make it more complicated. Only plus I can imagine is, the stitches get more uniform and the circle a circle. I have tons of embroidery yarn as well; will put that to good use. I will try to make a small table scarf as my first project. I know, I have enough material in the color and shades of it, I would like.

Have a happy trip trip out east, Kar. Will be a busy day, I am sure, but also rewarding.

Hats, I e-mailed your cup cake paper idea to DIL. She immediately shot me back an e-mail. "Love it, love it, love it! Thanks to your friend, who suggested it."

Have my PT this morning to replace the one I missed yesterday due to the storm. The sun is out. Hope it takes care of some of the slippery roads, they announced this morning. It is only 29 degrees, so there will be no melting on it's own.

Have a good day everyone.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just called the Sr. Ctr to see if they had a list of people you could hire to shovel.  They don't.  Said they used to have a list of kids doing community service but found half the time the kids never showed up.  She said they do have a man who calls in once in a while to see if anyone needs shoveling, and if he does call, she will get in touch with me.  Going out around 11:00 to get the car cleared off at least.  Back hasn't melted down at all, so I know that is too high for me to try to get to clear to my dryer vent.

Had a note from Cat Lady that Harry was spotted, minus this newest collar.  I can't imagine that he is getting all these collars off on his own.    If so, he's certainly a free spirit!  lol

Have a mammo appt Friday, but think I will reschedule it (again!) for when I'm moving around better.  Can't picture me maneuvering from their parking lot to the department I need to get to.  Waiting for this too to pass - - should wake up one morning and have it gone.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Sorry, you are still in pain, tt.
    Naturally, I don't know, where you go for your mamos. I suspect Beverly Hospital. Their mamo dept. is a pain to reach with the new parking garage. If you indeed go to Beverly, you could reschedule to "Beverly Hospital at Danvers" - right off Maple Street near Home Goods. Their open parking lot is easy to maneuver and the breast dept. is right inside the entrance doors.
    Don't work too hard on your car. It's cold out and not good for aching joints. I know, you hate to ask, but could you possibly bribe one of your GC to do it just this time?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

They don't even do it at home.  It's a different generation, Pingo.  These kids aren't going to know how to do anything to take care of themselves.

I just took some bread out of the freezer, tore it up and stood at the back door tossing it as close to the feeder as I could.  You're right, it is cold.  Cheerio thought she was sneaking out the back door - I let her go, because her with her laying in front of the heat register all the time, I figured once her feet touched the snow/ice, she'd be back in in a flash.  I even closed the inside door while she was out there - She fooled me tho, she was trying to make her way off the stairs, as close to the house as she could, purring away - quite an adventure!

As for my back, I can say it has gotten somewhat better, at least I am not groping from a chair to a table to a wall to doorway.  Nights  have become more painful tho - only position I could get into last night would have been a good pic to blackmail me with!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Busy here this morning, since I was out yesterday. I had to google yoyos since I was imaging the ones that you play with. :) Those look cool, I can't sew more then a button though. :( Have a fun time with the trips, Kar. tt, everyime we've put a collar on Yoda he's gotten it off within a day or two. We gave up finally. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Icer, have  you been watching Y&R?  I keep waiting for the moment when someone says, "We need an ambulance!"  They sure are dragging it out.  Who do you suppose gets it?  Yesterday I thought the guy you know had put something in Michael's drink by mistake and he would collapse - what do you think?

Winter, I know you are probably right about Harry taking off the collar himself.  Charlie used to hate Cheerio's and used to pull it off - with him tho, he was trying to get a good clean bite of her neck!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

So who do you think got it today, Icer?  I almost thought I heard the caller say, woman down. Could have been "one man down".

Just went out to fill the car up, now have to get the dryer vent cleared of snow.  Haven't done washes in days.  If I'm not on tomorrow tell them to look out back next to the bulkhead!  LOL  only kidding  -- - - - 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'm not sure how he got the collar off so fast. I tried watching him playing with it one day, but he caught me starring and took off, to be seen later collarless...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT try your local boy scout troop if you can find them, I know one around here was doing shoveling for community service requirements....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, please be very carful if you go outside to do some snow removal. I'd shovel for you in a heart beat.

ETA: I make my DS shovel now. Usually he only lasts about a half hour, but it's better then nothing. To me he's old enough and he will need to do it when he's older. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, a nice bonus, considering how the snow is a heavy crust - got down the 2 stairs to the edge of the bulkhead and could see the bottom of the vent was clear - yah!  It's so deceiving out.  Nice and warm in the car in the sun, but once you step out - that wind is fierce.

Wnter, I think they hook their paw up in under it to get it off.  Have a friend who told me of coming home to find their car with their paw stuck up in under the collar.  He was just about going into a fit had been struggling to free himself for so long apparently.  They took the collar off and never put one on again.  I haven't put one on Cheerio since Charlie took hers off.