March 2013!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: March 2013!

We gave up having Yoda wear one as well. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Ihavemyhats' comment:

TT try your local boy scout troop if you can find them, I know one around here was doing shoveling for community service requirements....

When I called the Sr. Ctr I mention the boy scouts, and that's when she said no, they used to have a list of them to call but no more, and went on to say about the kids who were supposed to do community service for confirmation etc. and that they found they never showed up half the time.  Anyway, I'm not concerned about the back now.  I can see the vent is clear, and the oil nozzle is clear, so it can melt at its own pace as long as it doesn't start coming down my cellar.  I pretty much took care of what was left around the car out front, and throwing that in cleared parts of the driveway have allowed it to melt down.  Just cancelled mammo too, so I don't have to think about pacing myself to be able to walk from parking lot to department to have that done.  Thanks for the thoughts tho.  No ill effects felt yet in my back/hip.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

---Have a friend who told me of coming home to find their car with their paw stuck up in under the collar.---

tt, my friend, you did it again. LOL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pingo, that is not meant to be funny - the poor cat was going nuts trying to get his paw out.  Could have choked himself to death.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Have a good night everyone. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Please,  surely you all have heard of break-away collars for cats...

Most pets are microchipped now,  the collar is just a backup.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I was definitely not LOL of the poor kitty. But I was LOL of the car with paws. You mistyped  "cat" once before.

Shutting down my office computer for today. Leaving in a few minutes. DH is going to a hearing tonight, so no dinner to cook. Still have one serving of cabbage soup left over, so that will be my dinner. Or maybe I will juice a large glass of juice; didn't have one this morning. 16 oz. fills you up plenty.

Have a good evening everyone.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to pingo's comment:

tt, I was definitely not LOL of the poor kitty. But I was LOL of the car with paws. You mistyped  "cat" once before.

Oops!  that sheds a different light on it! lol

Temps must have been warm enough for some melting, can hear the water running down the drainpipe outside this window.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Car with paws - TT must have a tiger in her tank - remember those commercials?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

A question for Pingo = what have you found is the cheapest way to send stuff to UK son?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks for the well wishes for the day at my friend's house, ladies - we had a wonderful time, as always. :)  Soooo tired, though, and DH just got home so more tomorrow.  Good night!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Car with paws - TT must have a tiger in her tank - remember those commercials?

Cute, Hats!  haha

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh, that is what tt meant, Hats? You are too funny.

Unfortunately, there is no cheap way to send parcels to UK. We did send several, when our son first moved there. One was his dark suit he needed for a special occasion. I paid a fortune in postage, but it was still a lot less, than buying a new suit over there. A suit, he would use max once a year. But most often the content was much less than the postage. So as much as he loved my home made goodies and special stuff he loves from TJ's, DS asked me to stop sending them.  At that time, I found flat rate was the least expensive. Besides, the custom is a pain. They have changed the paper work a lot, so you have to itemize each and every little item, and then at the PO they will type everything in again on their computer. Never used to be like this.  Once the parcel was stuck in the custom for almost 2 weeks.
    But I still found a way, to surprise him once in a while: amazon.uk. I order over the net and with amazon prime, I pay no shipping. He got chocolate for Valentine's Day, and there is an Easter Basket on it's way right now f.ex.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

thanks for the information Pingo.  DD wants us to send hot salsa which she cannot find there but I looked at the flat rate box and I think $75 is a lot of money to send some salsa...

ETA I looked on amazon.co.uk and the brand of salsa she wants is 96 pounds plus shipping for 12 bottles....175 dollars is too much for salsa!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good morning all.  TT - I can't believe even your neighbors didn't see you out clearing off your car and help?  Terrible.  I know what you mean about your grandchildren not doing shoveling.  The other day my brother worked from 5am to 7pm and came home and shoveled.  As my 12 year old nephew and 17 year old niece were home all day, lol. Wouldn't have happended in my house!  Hopefully you can find someone more reliable for next year. 

Nothing really new going on here, just plugging away at work.  Have a great day everyone!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Glad you had a good day with the trips Kar. Princess, I can't believe some of these kids can't shovel. That Friday storm we had two weeks ago, my DS and I took turns as the other shovel was buried in the back yard (I had no idea where). He each did about 15-20 minutes at a time. His friends came by and seemed appalled when DS told him I can't play right now we need to shovel the driveway. After they left he said I guess they make their parents do it, I said well it shouldn't be like that, he said I know mom. I don't mind helping. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Winter, you've sure done something right!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Glad to see the sky brightening up.  If all goes well and temps go up a bit, may try later to get out for a baby shower gift where the mom-to-be is registered.  Already I can see by the registry that the things I had planned on buying have been purchased.

I don't think parents (at least my sons) don't realize what an injustice they are doing by not expecting their children to help with around the house chores.  They make all kinds of excuses for them.  I always felt the job of a parent was to teach their children to be able to take care of themselves in the real world.  I'm a throw-back, telling them when I was a kid I shoveled coal into the furnace and used to stoke it for the night - they look at me, like, "What's coal, Nana?"  LOL

Speaking of throw-backs, G.T. sent a pic of a new quilt he finished, sort of a herring bone square with a contrasting strip blocking each one off.  He was concerned because blanket he had bought for filler said not to dry clean and he felt it was too heavy to throw into a washer.  I told him, of all the quilts we had, we never washed them, just threw them out on a line or over a fence on a windy day to air out.  They never got really dirty, and if something should get spilled on them, we sponged it by hand.  He decided they'd take that route - not having any clothesline or fence to hang it out on, would throw it over the patio railing and beat it with a stick - if need be!  I can just hear the call they would get from the Historical (or Hysterical, as he calls them) Committee now!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You mean like how the honor student dinner in Ipswich would be "devestating" to those who worked hard but didn't make the grade was changed to include everyone?!  Kids are being raised with no sense of personal pride, how to handle disappointment, sense of responsibility for chores, nothing.  We will then be shocked when the suicide rate starts climbing for all the devastated young people who have no coping skills whatsoever.  That and the obesity rate.  Good parenting is now frowned upon...well, not by US, but generally, it seems.  

OK, off the soap box for me! 

Good morning!!!  Cold one, huh?!  It was 12 when DH left.

Thanks, again, re my fabulous day with my friends' family.  Maybe I can spend a weekend day sometime so DH can take care of Gracie and the mom and dad can have a break TOGETHER at the SAME TIME!  I had to rush home at 2, and I had so much more I wanted to do.

GT quilts?  How facscinating and fabulous!  Oh, yeah, they just get dusty; no sense worrying about washing imo, too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Good job Winter...so many kids don't help out, you ask and its like your asking for the moon, no one has to earn spending money, its handed to them.  More snow expected tonite, when is Spring coming?  Not just on the calendar, but for real!!   SS

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Quilts can harbour dust mites...so I would at least put them in the dryer at a high temp for 20 minutes occasionally,  as heat kills dust mites.

You may have to go to a laundromat and use one of those BIG dryers,  I'd wash the thing once in a while too,  but I suppose that's not necessary.

I am dealing with a dog with allergies (dust mites included) that's how I know.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh my, that must be a super duper special salsa. How about sending DD a recipe to make her own? DS does. All the ingredients are available, and she can get it as hot as she like.

Salsa was one of the things DS missed too. That and black refried beans, so he could make tacos. I sent it a couple of times w/ TJ's hot sauce and Costa Rica coffee. But the postage went out of scale. It is just too bad it has become so expensive.

thanks for the information Pingo.  DD wants us to send hot salsa which she cannot find there but I looked at the flat rate box and I think $75 is a lot of money to send some salsa...

ETA I looked on amazon.co.uk and the brand of salsa she wants is 96 pounds plus shipping for 12 bottles....175 dollars is too much for salsa!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tacos, that solves the dinner mystery for today, thanks!  I made my own green salsa last year, and I can't wait to start canning, again.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Well he doesn't always want to help at first, but he realizes he has no choice...lol. As for chores, with school work I don't expect alot from Sep-June, but he does need to clear the table of his plate and the serving dishes, condiments, etc. and fill the dishwasher and wipe the table. The one of us who doesn't cook washes the pots/pans and sweeps. In the summer he does the same, plus he has to help with cleaning the pool. He also has to keep his room clean, which he does. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'll be searching through my freezer hoping to find some treasure in there to take out for supper.  When I opened it a few minutes ago to check and see if there was any bag with frozen meat wrappers to put out in the trash, saw an interesting container.  Almost looks like beef stew, but I know it can't be that.  I'll have to give that a closer look.  Did buy a pkg of folder labels a couple of months ago to label those mysterious containers, but so far have only put one on the marshmallow we used the other day "Pure" - to let me know that it's safe to use again for whoopie pies, that a knife that first went into peanut butter hadn't made its way into there, since we have a couple of nut allergy people in our family.

Took advantage of having to lug the trash up from the cellar, by throwing a wash in while I was down there.  Testing the waters, so to speak, on my back/hip, and don't think today will be the day for traipsing out for the shower gift.

Kargiver, did you end up bringing over cookie dough for your friend to freeze?  She must thank her lucky stars every time you show up to help out.  A lot of people are great at starting something like that, but then with time, slough off.

Winter, I think and have always thought that you are doing a great job with your son.

As for the cleanliness of quilts, I'm coming from my own experience - a quilt made when my mother visited her aunt in Maine, would be filled with old worn woolen blankets, and made from apron scraps, housedress scraps, men's shirts, even tablecloths, and were never thrown in a washing machine (wringer type then), and to pay to bring something like that to a cleaners, was unheard of.  We're all products of our upbringing.  I saw my mother hang them over the line on windy, sunny days, and I did the same.  The new comforters that are on the market now are much different from the heavy home made quilts I speak of, and I suppose the care of them might be looked at differently.

Washer has stopped spinning, so I'll get that thrown in the dryer.  Off to a good start to the day anyway, it won't be a wasted one.