March 2013!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: March 2013!

Re the tween/teen lines - I never did anything I had to try to cover up at any age.  So, I know from personal experience that kids CAN actually be good, LOL. :)

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

When I was learning to cook as an adult (30+) from NOTHING to really good cook, I relied almost solely on 5-star Food Network recipes that are reviewed by a lot of people.  I figured if 200 people reviewed something and it gets 5 stars I can do it, too.  That way, I learned a LOT about flavor combinations, cook times, temps, textures, different meats, etc. without much risk of a disaster.  Read the reviews, though - often people will give it 5 stars but a lot of them might say, "I reduced the salt by half," for instance.  See if the rating = recipe as written or if most poeple made a particular substitution or temperature change.

Sounds like he's on the right track. :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Wanting something sweet, just tweaked my scone recipe a bit.  Had no cream, so mixed 1/3 sour cream with 3/4 milk, to make enough for 2/3 cup in recipe and some to brush on the tops.  Then made my regular scone recipe with regular amounts, dividing the dough into 2 balls.  I patted each out to an 8" circle, put the rest of the raspberry jam in the jar on top of one, sealed the edges with my fingers, then cut them into 8 scones instead of my regular 6.  Finished off the top the same way, and baked for 18 minutes.  Delicious.  Of course, as usual when I try to do 8 scones - 1 was just not enough for me!  Trying to save the other 6 for breakfasts.  lol

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oooh, that sounds delectable, tt.  Like a raspberry scone turnover?

I had a craving for sweets today, too, and had a brownie before lunch...I could eat the rest of them, they are so chewy and delicious.  And, impervious to overcooking and becoming cake-like because the edges were almost burned, and they still were super chewy.  It's Food Network's recipe for Fudgy Brownies.

Off to finish the chores and then get to dinner.  I think tacos are out and chicken and dumplings are in.  No particular reason, just another craving.  :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

its snowing here big time now

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Raspberry scones? Sounds just wonderful tt. I made the orange cranberry scones w/ the cream, as I suggested I would. Just heavenly!!!! Only problem is, they are all gone. And not by me; I only had one. DH had them for breakfast, snack, dessert and everything else. Can't make those too often.
    Kar, your brownies sounds just delicious. For some reason this family is not chocolate lovers. I never liked it as a child, and I never denied our sons the pleasure of eating chocolate. Still, they would rather by-pass it. In small amounts it is actually good for you. But they never took to it. We must be missing some chocolate genes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Icer, I drove home with it coming down heavily. But it was just like rain. Hope for you you don't get clobbered. How much are they scaring us with?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

1-2 inches for North of the city and the city and 2-4 for Icer down south....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

No accumulation up here North as of yet. Just made a batch of banana muffins to take to my PTs tmw. morning.
    Waiting for DH to come home from his tennis game. Made chilli for him. I already ate the last of my cabbage soup. I am hoping for a "badge" tmw. morning.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Its not sticking...but its coming down like "you know"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, I hope your second day at 20 lbs lost is tomorrow and you get that super duper badge!!!  

I like chocolate OK, but I really prefer it plain and dark rather than in a dessert, per se.  I made the brownies for DH, but I have to admit really enjoying them, especially the texture.

DH didn't call when he left the office so I didn't have time to prepare the chicken and dumplings for dinner.  That will be tomorrow's.  Tonight whipped up some chopped up chicken breast and added it to the last of the kale/farro soup.  (Called it "vegetable barley" in LoseIt.)

Gracie is out there barking...got to see what's up.

Have a great night, everyone.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I have been hoping for a while now, Kar. I just don't think my scale has that particular weight number. I am not that far, but it just won't budge :( I could say, I am at my goal, but that would be cheating. Still I am excited. It has been the easiest diet ever, I have been on. I owe you lots my dear friend. Thanks a million.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Some day real soon I'm going to look at that loseit app you guys rave about.  I have weight to lose, and I haven't worked out in about 2 or 3 years because of my feet, so I'm out of shape (I got winded running around our first floor playing with the cat last night, and it's not THAT big of a first floor) and heavy.  And unfortunately I just can't figure out how to add exercise back into my really long day. I commute 1 hour each way, leave at 6:30am, get up at 5:30pm, am at work by 7;30am, then work until 5 or 5:30 or 6, then commute 1+ hours home (always takes longer at night, ugh) so if I get home at 6 (miracle) or 7 (more realistic) I just hate to go to our basement and work out while I know I should be cooking so that we could eat at 7 or 7:30pm vs. at 8:30pm.  And I'd like to see the man I married before we go to bed.  Ugh.  It's a nice thought to be able to go to the gym during the day, but I direct a childcare center and I so often need to cover in one or more classrooms for the teachers' breaks, or the phone is ringing off the hook and therefore it takes twice as long to get anything accomplished because I'm interrupted so much. The realitity is that taking 30-45 minutes to work out, then 15-20 to take a shower, dry my hair and scamper back upstairs is so often not possible. 

gotta figure it out, though, because I'm not getting younger and not getting thinner and not getting in better shape by magic!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

CT-DC - I would think directing a childcare center would be a work out every day!  lol

Glad it's Friday.  Just the usual planned for the weekend.  We bought MIL a new (slightly used) car so we have to pick that up.  She loves her current car but we didn't feel safe with her driving it, so we bought her another one.  Hopefully everything goes smoothly, she does not like change, lol.

Going to see Mom tomorrow.  She is doing much better now that she is back in her own element (and with her beloved cat, lol). 

Have a great day everyone.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I usually shut down the computer around 7:00, and find something on one of the TV channels to watch, so love to get up in the morning and see all these posts to read.  I'm always hoping for one from Mothermitzi.  She has a birthday next month, and am hoping she'll pop in and let us know how she is doing.  I know the last when she let us know about her accident, she did say the light from the screen bothered her.  I hope she hasn't had to give up on us altogether because of that.

CT-DC, nice to see a post from you.  Those are long hours you put in already on your regular work day.

Princess, so glad to hear your mother is doing better.  Older people know what they're  talking about when they beg not to be put into a nursing home - I know it's sometimes necessary, but as with hospitalization, losing their familiar surroundings brings on confusion and disorientation.

We're expecting to have our 2 gentlemen at the Easter table with us again this year.  Both are back in their own home.  Extra care has been arranged to come in for the gentleman with Parkinson's, allowing his partner some time each day to be able to get out of the house and move from errand to errand in a normal manner, secure in the knowledge that his partner is receiving good care in his absence.  I've put the half moons on my list for things to make and box for them.

Can't believe Easter is right around the corner, and me not prepared at all with basket fillings or gifts for the kids - let alone cards.  I've lost this whole week with my back/hip and it's starting to make me mad.  Have decided to try to get out (I have to!) and get to one store each morning as soon as they open, when my hip is at its best.  By noon, I'm limping, so it's an early bird, I've got to be.

See P'town and the Cape down there got hit with quite a few inches of snow.  Glad there was no more up here.  Hope you all have a good day.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, all!

Pingo, you recall I was stuck for about 1.5 weeks hovering a pound above my goal.  I stuck to the budget, and BAM, I lost 2 lbs, never to see my actual goal weight.  Maybe my scale doesn't have that number, either, lol.  So, stay encouraged and on track, my friend, it WILL disappear!  I'm already rewarded hearing your happiness and sharing in your success.

CT-DC, there's hardly anything to figure out.  It's just a calorie tracker.  The "diet" is nothing more than averaging your calorie budget over time (under budget some days, over others).  The key is measuring and logging everything accurately and completely - knowing where you stand all the time calorie wise is the only way it works.  The one thing you NEED to know before you start is that if you don't exercise, per se, LoseIt's budget will be too low - it EXPECTS that you'll exercise annd eat back some of the calories.  SO, whatever budget it gives you, increase it manually to 1200.  I promise you'll lose weight on that.  My sedentary 66 yo mother has lost over 10 lbs since January on 1200 calories, and I lost about 11 lbs in 6 weeks on it, actually.  Too fast, by the way; I should have increased it to 1350.

tt, that's great news about your gentlemen friends coming for Easter.  And, a BREAK for the caregiver, too.  That will be much appreciated, and a good time will be had by all.

Prin, yes, great news about your mom feeling better!

OK, this is the second time I've written all this; our computer died just as I was about to hit post.  I'm on the iPad, now. :)

ETA:  CT-DC, about not having time, I have a friend who has lost about 70 lbs since last May by logging her calories in a LoseIt-like app (she used livestrong).  She's 55, is an overnight fulll-time nurse, cares for her special needs SIL and MIL at home, has adult kids who "require" her attention, runs her own antique shop, is married, and walks, runs, and uses the exercise bike for at least 2 hours a day.  You can make time to measure and log your food if you want to.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

You know TT, if you continue not to feel well, it would be better to let the baskets go.  No one can do everything all the time just because it's a tradition.  I think I'd choose the baking over the things.

All the lose it stuff is making me feel very badly - I have been having health problems over the last year that have caused me to gain a lot of weight and the meds not effective and are making me sicker. This week I added an exercise bike to my routine but I think it's being  counter productive.   I was very glad when you started the separate forums for your discussions.  CT, with all the rules and regulations involded in running a child care center I am sure you are busy every day and worrying a lot.  Plus, it's very hard to lose weight when you don't get much sleep, something that research has recently proved.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"Plus, it's very hard to lose weight when you don't get much sleep, something that research has recently proved."  (Hats)

Ah, can I use that as my excuse??  I guess not with all the baking/eating of sweets I confess to on here!

The Easter baskets can't be let go, Hats, there are only 2 - one each for my baking GD (8) and her older brother (12).  I was going to do something special for pumpkin too, but now I think I'll buy a truck and put a small bag of M&Ms in the back.  Both the truck to push, and the M&Ms to eat, are his favorites - right now.  I do have a reprieve on the shower gift - just looked at the invitation again, and it's not on the date I had noted on my calendar, not until the end of next month.  That gave me a sigh of relief, less pressure, with the exception that the nice things on her registry list will already have been purchased by the time I get to BabiesRUs.  The baking is no pressure for me, half moons sometime this week-end, and then next Sat cupcakes with GD, and the trifle early Sunday morning.  Pretty easy, actually.  I did hope to pick up something special to bring as a gift to G.T. and partner, and may yet wobble out to Marshall's this week.  I'm cancelling my dental appt the middle of the week, a myriad of stairs to climb.  Already I feel the pressure lessening.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. CT, I tried to use the app, but it's very hard to measure everything, since I don't do all the cooking. I too have no FREE time to exercise. I work 8-4:30, up at 5:30 and home at 5:30 pm. By the time homework is done and dinner is cleaned up it's time for DS to get in the shower, etc. By 9, it's too late to do much. Sadly, I can't walk at lunch since I pick my son up and bring him to his afterschoool program and we can't really afford nor do we have the space for a bike or elptical. 

Last night at soccer practice my son was asked to move up to a higher level team. He thought about it when we got home and he has decided to do it. We are all so proud of him and thrilled. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Post was getting too long, but I did want to say I was sorry to hear about your medical dilemma, Hats.  Is there nothing else they could try you on that might give you some relief?  I can empathize, last Christmas I was so sick I really felt I was never going to get better.  Wouldn't have either, if it hadn't been for that IV to bring my sodium level back up.

I did go back to May Sarton's book, had stopped because I was afraid it might be too depressing, but she has passed through her terrible nausea and feeling of death being imminent, and for the first time in months is beginning to be able to eat and enjoy food again.  I enjoy her descriptions of the Cape around her as the bulbs come into bloom.  She also has such a network of dear friends who look in on her and come and stay for days.  Each little thing she is able to accomplish now hightens her spirits.

From your posts I know you certainly aren't one to let things get you down, but it is discouraging to anyone to have weeks go by and see no improvement.  Hope you have a good day.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Winter, that's wonderful news about your son moving up to a higher team in soccer.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hats, that's too bad you are struggling with health issues and weight.  We don't mean to rub it in, obviously.  My whole family is overweight with various medical issues.  And, I was on anti-depressants and gained 30 lbs because I ate too much while I was taking it and my hip problem (bone deformity) was bothering me a lot, too, so I understand.  

tt, sorry you had to cancel an appointment due to stairs - your hip must not be improving much at all. :(  But, that's good you're feeling less stressed for having postponed.  

Can't believe Easter is 9 days away!!!  Doesn't look very Spring-like out there....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wow, that's impressive, Winter!  That will really push him to become even better and enjoy it more and more.

Sections
Shortcuts