March 2013!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: March 2013!

Good morning everyone. Enjoy the cleaning ladies Prin. I would love to have cleaning people come every so often. CT Good luck finding a Brighams when you visit, I think there is only one near me know. As for Baskin Robbins I loved them as a child. They have the best mint chocolate chip. I think we'll be headed your way in August, we are spening three days/nights in D.C. (DS and I have never been) and then driving to Williamsburg, VA for four days/nights. Busch Gardens will keep DS very happy. Long drive though (ugh!)

tt, how are your hips feeling this morning?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    I saw the beautiful Moon last night too. I have similar problem as you, Kar, but I did manage to fall asleep.
    I hope you will give us a report on your visit with the trips to their doc. Nice you can stay and prepare dinner for them.
    Re dessert for your diabetic father. How about a trifle made with sugar-free pudding, real mashed fruit and real (no sugar added) whipped cream. Then sprinkled with nuts for crunchiness. If you keep it in a cooler w/ some ice on your way to CT, it should stay just fine.
    Had Cold Stone ice cream once in CA. Was not impressed at all. And yes, too expensive. I know people, who won't eat ice cream during the Winter months - even inside. They believe they will get a cold.
    How are your hips and back this morning, tt? You did a lot of running around yesterday. And I keep forgetting to ask you, how your roof/ceiling is holding up. Since you haven't mentioned it, it must be ok.
    Listening to all your Easter preparations, I feel "empty", that I don't have to prepare Easter dinner for a big crown, like I used to. But I guess, there is a time and place for everything. Decided to stay at home. Will make a nice breakfast w/ Mimosas or Bloody Mary's and later make my R-o-L with asparagus and rosemary roasted potatoes. And for dessert the trifle I mentioned above. Now I am on maintenance, I can have it all.
    Not much going on today. Went for a 10 minutes walk yesterday, and it went well. Will try to get another walk in today and add another 5 minutes. I know it is far from your 4 miles, Kar, but what a difference a couple of months have made.
    Enjoy the day and the nice weather.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

There is a Brighams in Belmont.

Yeah, I usually have the cleaning people come every 2 weeks, and I love it.  But with Easter I had them come 2 weeks in a row - yipee!  It's worth every penney!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter, we posted at the same time. It sounds like a wnderful trip, you are planning. I have been to Washington, but never been to Williamsburg. The boys went, when they drove DS's car to TX just before his wedding. They loved it there. Lots to do.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Yes Prin, that's the only one that seems to be around now. Pingo, myy son's class will go to DC in the 8th grade, so I wanted to go there before we did. It will be a short trip and we won't see everything, but that's ok.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

DRESSED already!  Do you believe it?  Terrible night last night, but when I finally woke up for the last time this morning I was curled in a fetal position, on my right side, with no pain.  Laid there for a bit to be sure I wasn't dreaming, and since I got up at 7:30, am still pain free.  That's why I'm showered and dressed already, wanted to get as much necessary stuff done as possible while I was still comfortable.  Washes must be done, but I'm scared to attempt those stairs.  During the night had made up my mind to call ortho today and beg my way into an appt.  Of course now, I'll "wait and see".

I need to have a cleaning person come in - even at least once a month - to do things like the bathtub.  I've tried all types of contraptions but still can't really scrub it clean.  You ladies that have one, did you just go with one of those advertised in the yellow pages or are you using someone a friend recommended?  Do they bring their own vacuum (I have none still) and cleaning supplies?

Kargiver, please don't be put off by all my wondering and moaning about a traveling trifle.  That's just me.  I'm sure mine - and yours - will travel fine.  Now when I shopped yesterday I bought probably too much (2 jars of caramel sauce)  (3 pudding pkgs), because I was afraid I'd run out when I was putting it together.  One thing I am going to try today is the half moons.  I can freeze them and then just frost Sat. - an awfully lot on the plate for Sat, may try to talk GD into coming to do the cupcakes on Friday afternoon instead.  Also bought a dozen white eggs for she and I to color - anyone want some hard boiled eggs for egg salad sandwiches??  HaHa

Winter your planned trip sounds great.  I went with a tour to DC once and loved it.  Only problem I remember is the girl I was traveling with was/is always late and the bus would be waiting for us with very unhappy passengers.  I remember being so embarrassed, but didn't want to leave her somewhere.

OK, enough sitting for this stint.  Will get up and see how things are moving - or not.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Winter, make sure you take DS to the new(ish) museum of the American Indian in DC.  It's part of the Smithsonian so it is free and it is wonderful.  The food court is especially good there (as opposed to the other museums), it is organized by regions, so the NorthEastern section serves what we think of as Thanksgiving food (corn, turkey, etc.) The southwest is the sort of Tex-mex - tortillas, etc. Plains Indiand - fry bread, etc.   Very interesting exhibits too. 

Of course the American History museum is great - the Fort McHenry Flag, Julia Child's Kitchen, First Ladies gowns and so much else.  Air and Space is a can't miss especially if anyone is interested in space exploration. 

The new WWII memorial is great.  Lincoln Memorial - that wonderful statue is by Daniel Chester French who grew up in Concord and did the Concord Minuteman statue.  We found the Korean one to be scary as all get out with all of the ghostly soldiers but maybe a place a boy would love.  I went with an imaginative bunch of girls and they were spooked.

I've spent weeks in Colonial Billsburg but unless your son is a real history buff, don't be surprised if he is a bit bored...it's not for everyone.  After his experience with the Civil War drummer boy, maybe a battlefield visit is in order?  Appamattox?  Or what about Jamestown, hear there is more going on there since the 400th anniversary (1607 - 2007) and a lot of archaeological exploration has gone on.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Glad to see you are pain free this moring. Hope it lasts through out the day for you. I'm very much looking forward to DC, DH has been twice. We will be going to the zoo, since DS' class won't be going there. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Glad you are feeling good this AM, tt.  We chose our cleaners based on recommendations from friends and family.  We talked to three different ones before choosing our current (who now also does my parents' house, ILs house, brother's house and two friends), and I agree that they are worth every penny.  They bring their own vacuum and we supply all the products.  I imagine for an additional cost you could find one who would supply products as well.  I remember before my wedding my mom called Merry Maids out of the phone book nad was quite pleased with them as well. 

Sounds like a great trip Winter.  I remember lots of road trips as a kid.  You'll have a great time.  I think DC is a great, and underrated, destination.  There is soooo much to do there.  I've never been to Wiliamsburg either.

Easter plans are easy for me this year.  We are going to my aunt's house for dinner, adn when I asked what to bring was told "just bring baby girl".  This may be the one free year I can get away with not baking, so I am tempted to take advantage of it.  We'll see, though.  I have the feeling that come Saturday I'll be making cookies.

I just need a few basket items for DS, and have to pick up flowers for Mom, MIL and hostess aunt.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Hats, thanks. Since both my dad and DH's served in Korea that memorial is on our list as well as Lincoln, and Washington Memorial and Air and Space Museum as well as Arlington National Cemetary. I also heard that there is a cool Spy Museum that will be right up DS' alley and not something they will see on his class trip. We won't be going to Appamattox or Jamestown since we want to spend the rest of the time in Willamsburg, which is where Busch Gardens (Amusement Park) and Water Country are, but it's on DH and my list to see at some point. When he goes with the 8th grade they will also be going to Gettysburg.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Novem, by all means, take advantage of people just wanting to see that baby!  As  you say, it probably will be the only year you can do that.

I picked up the only miniature pink rose plant at S&S yesterday.  So glad I stopped and looked there.  It sets in a tiny brown bunny.  They have a large rose garden, but I know G.T.'s favorite are the minature roses.

Thanks for the info re the cleaning services.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

So glad to hear you are pain free this morning, tt. I can very vividly feel, how you stayed in your bed to really make sure, the pain was actually gone. I do the same. Don't dare to move being afraid, it will come back. Hope for you, it stays that way.
    I may join you in finding a cleaning person as well. But to find someone, is like winning the lottery. It is best to have someone recommend someone. But the good and trustworthy ones are usually booked well. Didn't you once say, that your DIL has one? Maybe you could ask her, if her lady would take you on. A friend of mine (living out of state though) is using someone from Angie's List and is very happy with them. They have different rates, I believe. First time cleaning, every month, every week etc. plus, they do other things - like windows or carpet cleaning f.ex., separate from the cleaning.
    I had a couple of bad experiences, so I am a bit reluctant to try someone new from the paper adds or the yellow pages.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Yes, Pingo, that is our arrangement as well.  There was a "first time" thorough cleaning that was more expensive (about $120) but they spent half a day, then the regular price for every other week ($60).  Twice a year we ask for a "spring cleaning" ($90) and they bring in extra people and go top to bottom.  Once in while I ask them to do the oven (I don't have a self-cleaning) and that is $10 extra.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

I got my cleaning woman via word of mouth.  I agree that's the best way to do it.  We've had her (and she brings 2 or 3 people) for many years and it works out.  We supply the vac and cleaning supplies and also a lot of rags for them to use.  We pay $80 ever other week.  Sometimes we also have them clean MIL's apt so that's an additional $50.  You do have to find someone trustworthy though - especially in our case where they have a key to our house.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, Novem, gives me a ballpark idea of what should be charged.

Those dozens of half moons are waiting to be baked, wish there were a way to halve the recipe, but things like b.s. and b.p. can't be halved from 1 tsp - not large enough amounts to do the work.  I'll do as I always do, bake and freeze.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

That's my issue Prin, I really don't want someone in the house if there is no one home, so that leaves Saturday when all of us would be there. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter, I recently I had a couple of girls to "try out". But they came alone and it took them all day. I just can't waste an entire day like this. So I need a group of people, there can be out in a couple of hours. I would never leave them with a key to the house.
    November, do you mind to tell us, what company, you used? Are these the current prices? Sounds very reasonable.

ETA. I supplied all cleaning stuff, plus rags and vac.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Ladies, you need to ask potential cleaning services about insurance and bonding which are your guarantees that if there is theft or breakage, etc, there will be some recourse.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Yes Pingo I don't want to waste all day Saturday, but our house wouldn't take all day to clean. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

They aren't a formal company - just a lady and her family.  Don't really want to plaster her info all over the internet.  I can ask her if she's taking new clients and set up an anon bdc email account to pass out info later if that works for you?

ETA:  Becuase she came through trusted sources, I never had an issue with them being in the house.  They had already proved trustworthy to people I trust, and that has continued with me.  I actually try to stay out of the house and out of thier way on cleaning day.  Usually I am at work, but if I am home, I duck out.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I think that's a good idea, Novem, to be out of their way.  Not sure about my DIL, I know once she was out and they came while I was there.  Her two ladies don't speak much English tho, and I would find that hard.  Going to give my friend in Swampscott a call, I think at one point when she was going through chemo she had a cleaning person who came in, not sure if she still does, doesn't talk much about stuff like that.  I think there are a lot of people who just do it on their own, not a licensed cleaning company.  As others have said, the most important is to have someone trustworthy that you don't feel you've got to hide things.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

November, I would never expect you to give out a private person's info. It sounded to me, it was one of those well advertised companies, you were using.
    Yes tt, that was a another problem, I encountered. They didn't speak or more so understood English. That drove me nuts. So I had to continuously have to show them how and where and what. One girl was sweeping my carpets instead of using the vac. That's ok if you don't own one, but we have central vac plus another upright, I inherited from UK son. She didn't want to use either. I showed her, but she still grabbed the broom until I took it away from her. I gave up explaining to them, what cob web is. Now, try to deal with that an entire day. I was more exhausted, than if I had been cleaning myself for a whole day. And the of course, they wanted cash - no check.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It's too bad that was your first experience with someone cleaning, pingo.  I called my friend but I think this is her bridge day.  I would not post anyone's name online either, unless it is a company.

Double checked with G.T. to be sure if the "gentlemen" are still planning on coming, and they are and mentioned my half moons, so of course, I will make them.  Pre-heating oven now.  

Doing pretty good, burning in butt, but not the pain and terrible limping.  Have taken a tylenol and will do that periodically to see if I can keep it at bay.  Googled sciatica triggers and surprisingly enough (or not) one of the triggers to inflammation of the nerve is chocolate.  I remember that from a back show I watched once on TV.  Good lawd, with all this chocolate Easter candy around, I've been gorging myself.  None today.  Said no immediate results from stopping trigger foods, takes a while to get out of your system.

Heard the beep signaling the oven is ready - off I go.

ETA:  Will cut out chocolate and then I'll start suffering with chocolate withdrawal headaches!  LOL

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Sorry if there was confusion.  They lady I have isn't formal.  We (my mom, really) did hire Merry Miads once before my wedding b/c we were too busy and she wanted things perfect for the pictures.  I have no idea what their prices were, so I'm not much help there.

Sections
Shortcuts