March 2013!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Re: March 2013!

Hats, if I post my address will you and your cleaning supplies pay me a visit?  I'll supply whatever you would for lunch/dinner/snack whateever???   Years back I used to enjoy cleaning, I would put on the Stereo, sing at the top of my lungs (good thing no one could hear me) and clean away.....now that the breathing bug has hit, I want to, just can't.   Thought cleaning services were lots higher....going to look into having one of them. ss

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

SS, I had classical radio on all day in honor of Good Friday - so no singing along but lots of good music.  This place literally stinks, but I have a door open and I took my claritin along with 9 Ibuprofen.

When I had a cleaning service, Mrs Clean called me to tell me my house was too dirty to be cleaned by professionals and I'd better get to work cleaning it for them!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My BIl goes around the house on his hands and knees to reach under furniture and inform me that there are furniture movers people can use to move heavy stuff all by themselves...well, he USED to when he was allowed in our house.

what's for dinner?  Well, after making pork chops for our friends, we had a "strange craving" for chops, lol.  So those are resting while the spinach finishes.

prin, no would have to twist my arm to go out to dinner ever.  Twice Ina row?  That's nothing - I had takeout a year straight when I was single.  Lunch thieves are a problem everywhere, and it really galls me, too!  We've had some real sagas over it at my old job...you wouldn't believe the emails, the drama.  I hope you get your weight  under control.  Ask your doc how many calories you must eat and then set your LoseIt budget to that and make sure you hit it every day.  I think it will help, honestly!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Princess, listen to Kargiver. Great idea!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

OK Kar, you win.  BTW was/is BIL's mom xtra clean?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

---well, he USED to when he was allowed in our house-----

Finally! Great news.

My BIL will tell me, that the prisms in our foyer chandelier are dull. "Why don't you clean them?" It's two story ceiling and can only be reached by putting two planks on our stair railing and then a ladder on top of that. So you have to climb a ladder to reach the second ladder on the home made platform. DH needs two guys to help him. We clean them twice a year, and believe me, that is plenty. I am getting anxiety attacks, whenever we do it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hats, meant to commisserate, not "one up," but, yes, their mother excelled at keeping the house pristine and a VERY high premium was placed on it. They now have housekeepers to keep their residences sparkling. 

pingo, we can relate re our BIL's in so many ways.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, everyone,

How are the Easter plans coming along?  

Gracie just plopped in front of the yet-cold wood stove and gave a big, irritated sigh...there's another one.  

I guess I should come back after I get the stove going...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

You were up early Kar, and so was I.  I have to continue cleaning, bake, and I got some test paint last night so I hope to start painting some patches - not so much for color but for coverage - we are painting the ugly 1960s paneling and want to know if we have to sand first, or if the paint+primer will work, or if we need to really prime.  So I will be testing 4 different scenarios.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We're almost always up at 6, but I'm too out of it to post that early, lol!  Gracie gets fed, then DH, then I start to feel hungry and have breakfast myself.  Sprouted flour pancakes with our own maple syrup this morning...yum!

Sounds like a back breaking day ahead, hats, and you've been going pell mell.  I hope you got a restful night's sleep.

DH got the fire going, and Gracie is sound asleep in front of it - what a spoiled girl!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Up around 7 :00.  Did a quick wipe over of the bathroom, and setting table for things we'll use for cupcake baking.

It's a beautiful day out.  Filled the feeder and stood and listened a few minutes to the cardinal whistling.  Just as yesterday, the front yard is full of sparrows darting in and out of the topiaries - hunting for the best rental I think - lol

Hats, why are you taking on the painting the day before Easter?  I can't remember what you said your plans were for tomorrow, but does the test patch painting have to be done today?

Cheerio is with Gracie in finding the warmth.  Saw the sun on the toyroom floor and is toasting  herself, both sides, in that room now.  I may open a couple of the windows a bit to air the house out.  Everyone always thinks I keep it too warm anyway.

SS, today's the day you get your Easter cake - wish we had the picture capability so we all could see it.

A few more things I want to get done before the baking starts, so I'm off.  Have a good day everyone.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Beautiful morning. If those deck furniture had been out, I would have put a coat on and a blanket around me to sit and enjoy my cuppa. Lots of activity around the feeder.
    Hats, are you serious? After you did all that cleaning, you also have to paint? How often is this MIL of yours making you a visit?
    Quiet morning. DH is long gone. Will be back around 2 after his tennis match. Then we are going to do one of the most dreaded activities of mine. Looking at cars. My car is coming off the lease, and we are debating if we should buy it out (low mileage) or we should exchange it for a new one (still under warranty). I hope, I don't offend anyone here, but I just can't stand car sales persons or being in their show rooms. I tried to bribe DH to go alone, but since it will be my car, he wants me there.
    Waiting for him, I will bake my mom's lemon cake. It is a delicious loaf cake. Like a pound cake w/ lemon flavor. If I remember, I will pick up the lemon pudding, when we go out.
    Your pancakes w/ your own maple syrup sounds great, Kar. DH had cereal w/ a banana before he left. I am not sure, what I am in the mood for. Lost another pound, so I got to eat something.
    Amber, we haven't heard from you in a while. How is baby Joye doing?
    Have a good day everyone.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Hey all, thanks for your concern, you are quite right that the painting is not a have to do today, it is a 'want to do.'  I have wanted to do it since we moved here and it has taken me 20 years to convince DH so....

I was up at 5 and have read about 300 pp of my book and not done any work so it may not get done anyway.  But it's nice to have goals!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I read you clearly, Hats. In my country we say, "Better iron, while the iron is hot".

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

If I was concerned about MIL finding fault with housekeeping, painting would not be a job  I'd take on the day before she arrived.  That's why I asked.

Got the half moons frosted and pkged for tomorrow - feeling badly that I'm not frosting more to take for everyone, but this way it makes the 2 guys feel more special that I went to the work of making them just for them to take home.

Quite a few joggers in shorts going by this morning.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hats, I say bag it this weekend - you have enough on your plate that is must-do.  Next weekend!  She can pound sand if she doesn't approve of your walls. :)

pingo, I just made the most delectable lemon cake for the trips' fam.  I tasted it, and it was truly spectacular.  I bet yours is just as yummy!  Chocolate is overrated imho.  I like it OK, but I'd pick that lemon cake over just about anything.  Very Easter-y, too, a lovely pastel yellow.

The maple syrup has a fabulous smokey flavor because we make such tiny batches.  The smoke from the fire swirls into the pot...overwhelmingly delicious.

I don't care for haggling at dealerships, either, but I do it with no shame, eager to get up and walk out.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Cake is out. Kitchen smells wonderfully lemony.
    Just made a large bowl of chicken salad (with celery, cranberries and walnuts) from some of the leftovers of Costco's rotisserie chicken. Every time I make it, I marvel over, how delicious it is.

How are the cupcakes coming along, tt? I like your idea of making half moons for the two gentlemen only. Will make them feel special. You can always whip up a batch for your family some other time. Besides, aren't they the ones, that bring a box of chocolate for you?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT - since I was already baking (pineapple upside down) I decided to try out the hot orange coffee cake.  DH said "MMMM, that's tasy.  Lots of orange flavor."  So it's a keeper.  Next time I think I will use ginger instead of cinnamon, we love ginger.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Cupcakes baked and frosted.  they are so pretty, 3 colors in each cake.  GD took half a dozen  home, I've boxed half a dozen for intown son, and the other dozen are under the cake dome - MAY get frozen, may not!  lol

Got an email from G.T. that friend is attending a longer service than expected at church tomorrow so won't pick me up til 11:30.  Thank you, Gawd, I said to myself.  Gives me more time to make the trifle and pretty myself up.

Enough macaroni left over from G.D.'s lunch to whip up a macaroni salad for my supper.  Easy doing.  Have cleaned up the kitchen mess and put new fresh yellow placemats on table and since I'm pain free today (wonder of wonders) may just polish the l.r. furniture.

Glad you liked the coffee cake, Hats.  I love the consistency of it, a real coffee cake, no mistaking it for a regular dessert cake.  Funny you should be making the upside down cake today, altho I guess it is a traditional Easter dessert for some - G.T. emailed that his partner had made one this morning.

Got a print out of my bloodwork back and numbers are fine.  Safe for another 3 months when it will be repeated.

Not to waste the afternoon, will head into the l.r. with rags and polish.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

well tt I need to do the same - polishing, that is.  Would have loved to make some other dessert but DH insisted and I do little enough towards making him happy as it is.  Besides, with real whipped cream on top, I can eat anything.  It came out perfectly BTW.  I'd love to see your cupcakes....wish we could post photos.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You ladies are soooo far ahead of me!  I got pulled into the greenhouse building project and just came in to start my pie and brownies for tomorrow...ack!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ok, getting a handle on things...double batch of DH-friendly brownies are in the oven (18 brownies for 8 people).  Pingo, as a diabetic, how do you view organic coconut sugar as far as it being safe to eat - would you avoid it?  I'm thinking it would probably be much like fructose.  My apple pie will be definitely diabetic-friendly (a tad of brown sugar, the rest stevia).  DH can process the brownies without inflammation because they have nothing refined, but they are not sugar free.  So many issues to worry about.  Oh, and I have to bring the calorie info - 3 of us are definitely using LoseIt and maybe a couple I don't know about yet.

Now, on to the pie crust.  I'm taking a risk and making it with sprouted spelt.  I hope the teen boys will enjoy it.  The brownies will be to their liking, anyway.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Happy Easter!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, He is Risen!!  Happy Easter!!

Just finishing breakfast/cuppa, and DH is getting ready to wear Gracie out and make sure she doesn't have any bathroom needs while we are in CT with the brother who married us (he is a pastor). 

The pie is picture perfect as are the brownies; I am confident they are good.  My bro's fam promised to take care of the ice cream/cream so we don't have to worry about transporting cold stuff for a 2 hour drive.

Blessings and safe travels for all of you and yours.  Enjoy your families and all the traditions you share.

~kar

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Easter eggs and jelly beans,

yellow peeps all in a row -

Nerds and Starkist candies,

Baskets tied with floppy bows.

Easter clothes in bright new colors

the pastels that signal Spring -

tulips, lilies, hyacinths

in pots for us to bring -

A gathering at G.T.'s