March 2013!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: March 2013!

Great job, Pingo, what a kitchen champion you are today!  I think allspice and ginger sound like excellent additions to sugar cookies, yum.

I am just getting started in the kitchen to make biscuits to go with dinner, grilled ribeye and chicken tenders.  DH is cooking down another batch of maple sap over the fire pit so by 6:30 or so the fire will be ready for cooking the meat.  Found some nice baby organic kale...not sure what I'll do with it, but I had to have it, lol.  Maybe soup, speaking of soup.

OK, to the biscuits.  Then, I'll peel the passe potatoes and make mashed.  Can't stand to toss them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

biscuits are done, mushrooms-onions-garlic sauté done, and meat is coming up to room temp for DH to work his wood fire grill magic.  No mashed potatoes.  We have chips!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

We went to see the movie "Quartet" last night, any fans of British TV, like Downton, or of classical music, will love it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Faith 'n Begorra - Happy St. Paddy's day to you - -

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

HAPPY SAINT PATRICKS DAY TO ALL!   Love all the tidbits on the boards about redheads.  On the way out?? I don't think so, not if you lived where I am now, they are everywhere, when we first moved here I wondered "what was in the water " there  were so many SS

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Happy St. Patrick's Day!  Thanks for the reminder - I must wear something green whenever I get up the gumption to get out of my jammies. :)

DH pulled a muscle in his neck and is convalescing today, poor thing.

He grilled the meat to smokey perfection last night...made us wonder why people use gas grills - no wood smoke.  I wish we could post photos - he looks like a cowboy cooking out on the range.  And, the maple syrup is almost ready; I need to reduce it on the stove to finish it today.

Gracie discovered the grill grate and dumped the fire pit all over the patio to get to the tiniest scrids of burnt chicken and beef.  You'd think she  never gets fed.

Sunday already...the weekends go by too fast!

Have a great day, everyone.  Are we all having boiled dinners?  I lost track of the calendar and didn't corn a beef so will pick one up at TJ's tomorrow and get it going for its 10 day soak.  Maybe someday I'll think of it early enough to have it on time, lol.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning and Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Will remember to wear green today. No boiled dinner or us. No one in our family cares much for it. I used to make it, when the boys were at home - just because. I may pick up one this week, when they go on half price, and stick it in my pressure cooker. Then serve it with horse radish sauce.

Poor DH, Kar. Hope he recovers soon. Laughed at your description of your cowboy. That's my son. He has the largest gas grill, I have ever seen. They use it all the time as not to heat up the kitchen. Not just for steaks , but for anything that can be grilled. Grilled oysters anyone? He roasted two ducks on it, when we visited for Christmas. Best ever. When he wants a smokey flavor he adds some chips to a dish designed for it.

Thanks for the tip on the movie, Hats. Sounds like something we would like. Haven't been to the movie theater in ages. Must go someday or I forget what they look like.

How did the vanilla whoopee pies turn out, tt? You have been in your house for 49 years? That is a long time. No wonder you needed a new roof, even though I am sure it must have been replaced at least once before. So when is the 50th anniversary coming up?

Speaking of anniversaries. Happy anniversary to Icer and Honey.

DH left early this morning. Now waiting for him to come back and he will take me out for breakfast/brunch.

Have a good St. Pat's day everyone.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Irish banners waving,

Flutes toot-tootlin in the air -

Marchers down the streets of town 

St. Patrick's Day is here.

A day of celebration

for Irish, young and old -

joined in the fun by one and all

with Irish jokes, quick told.

The wearin of the green,

corned beef and cabbage due -

a pint or two that's shared

with friends forever true.

A special celebration

for Icer and Dear Heart -

their lives were joined this date,

forever - ne'er to part.

So Happy Anniversary!

Once more this wish I send -

"May your roof never fall in

and your friends never fall out"

to you, my C.C. friend.

Happy Anniversary, Icer from toytrumpet, 2010, and again 2013

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Nice poem, tt. Hope Icer see it today with all the parade hustle bustle. They must really like Icer and Honey in 'A'-town keeping a parade just for them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

SS and dau have gone over to sit with Icer and enjoy the parade.  I've been watching the St. Paddy's Day Roast and now have the Boston parade on, so I'll chat later.  Just enjoyed a delicious corned beef dinner.  Can't leave the corned beef alone, keep going back for one more slice!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT I am so glad that you posted that wonderful poem again.  You should publish (privately) a book of your poems for your family to have.  I would - but maybe I am less modest than you are!  I used lulu.com and was quite happy, but I am sure that GT could help you.

Fans of Harry Potter, Upstairs, Downstairs, Fawlty Towers and the Vicar of Dibley (to name just a few) would also enjoy Quartet; actors from all of those (not even including the ubiquitous Maggie Smith) show up.  And if you do go, make sure to watch the titles to the end. 

We had hot cross buns for breakfast today.  I do not like corned beef.  We are having a salad with perfectly ripe pears (they've been in the fruit bowl for a week) walnuts and Wisconsin sharp cheddar tonight.  We both gained three pounds on our trip.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I tried to post earlier..Thank you TT for the lovely poem....I will share with Honey when tomorow comes..but for now..I have had a martini so I am shutting off the computer..SS and dauhter came over...I think they had a good time..I know I did...Happy St Patty's  Day

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

A nice quiet Sunday afternoon.  The Sunday dinner at noon, a little parade watching, and then I sat and finished the book I was reading.  You and SS had a nice day to get together, Icer.  Good that you have a chance to get to know each other.  She's lucky in that her DD is always willing to take her wherever she wants to go.

Intown son stopped by this morning to pick up their plate of whoopie pies, vanilla and chocolate, and the St. Paddy's Day pins.  Since I gave away all we made, took out a couple of cupcakes (one chocolate, one lemon) I found in freezer, and with leftover green whoopie pie filling, frosted them for a treat later tonight.  

Thanks for the publishing info, Hats.  I have a huge overflowing notebook with copies of poems I have written and ones that boys in years gone by, wrote to me.  Should do something with it.

Was going to start on the 2nd book, one by May Sarton written as she recovered from a stroke.  Thought it would be interesting, but may just return it to the library with the finished one and pick up something a little more upbeat.

Cheerio has just had her supper, and is washing up for another nap.  Me, on the other hand, am anxious now to be entertained by some TV.  Hope you all had a fun day.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good evening,
    Sounds like St. Pat's day turned out good for everyone here. Glad you had a good time with Icer, ss. I have always imagined Icer as a fun lady to be with. Now time to celebrate your anniversary, Icer, with a nice martini or two. Have a fun evening. Will Zack make a visit?
    My breakfast/brunch never materialized. DH was in a working building, where they had to turn off the power for several hours. The electrician ran into some unexpected problems, so it took longer than anticipated. DH finally took the poor guy out for lunch (I was invited, but declined) after the building finally was up and running again. Instead I had leftover cabbage soup, which I always love.
    tt, I have been reading a book my DIL gave me, "Before I Go to Sleep". It is about a lady, who lost her memory in a car accident. It is supposed to be very good and interesting, and it is. But it is also depressing, so I can't read much of it in one setting. I am not one to give up on books, so I will finish it someday. Right now, I am reading a birthday gift. A Nicholas Sparks book, "Safe Heaven", signed by the author. Easy reading.
    Haven't decided on dinner yet. DH will probably want to go for pizza, our usual Sunday evening meal. I have also plenty of soup left for the both of us. I can have that again - never get tired of it, and it will make me happy tmw. morning, when I step on the scale.
    Have a good evening all.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Did you get pizza, Pingo?  I think I could eat pizza 5 days a week....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Sounds like everyone had a nice day celebrating St. Patty's Day.  No corned beef and cabbage for us, as I am the only one in my family who likes it.  I think DH would move out if I actually cooked cabbage in the house, lol.  I once cooked brussel sprouts (which I love) and I thought he was going to have fit, lol.

Sounds like more snow tomorrow . . .hopefully this will be the last of it!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

Indeed, sounds like nice days all around.  tt, enjoyed the poem!

We had a forced quiet day due to DH's pulled shoulder/neck/pectoral - who knows - muscle.  He's still hurting this morning enough to heat up the microwaveable wrap for the ride to work.

I think people who didn't grow up with the smell of cabbage in the house don't like it as adults.  It's a fond memory for me, and I love it, now.  Although, we didn't have the boiled dinner yesterday because I didn't get on the stick to corn the beef early enough.  But, hopefully, brisket will be on sale today because I'm picking one up to corn...we'll have it in 11 days.  Must remember to pick up juniper berries at the spice shop.

So, Monday morning - you know the routine.  I had breakfast, will make my two big cuppas, and then race around in time to get to the chiropractor.  Will hit TJs to get the meat and other essentials.  

Planning a mid-week trip to the trips' house.  They are all learning to walk, and no one wants to wait their turn, lol.  Mom still only has two hands.  Seems to me they went from creeping to standing - not a lot of crawling in between.  Maybe I just missed it.

It's 12 degrees, and we're supposed to get a foot of snow this week!  Spring, where art thou?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. No boiled dinner for us. DH doesn't like it at all. I'm not a fan of corned beef, but I love the other stuff. Growing up my mom would get a smoked shoulder, since most of us didn't like the corned beef. 

Kar, hope your DH feels better.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Good Morning everyone...and a very special Happy Birthday TT...I am singing to you as I type.."Happy Birthday Dear Toy trumpet.....Happy Birthday to you"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Hope you are doing something nice for yourself today.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Happy Birthday, TT!!

We loooooove boiled dinner in my family (except I don'tt eat the cabbage).  Had the full feast on Thursday, and after a meatless Friday, had corned beef hash Saturday AM, sandwiches Saturday PM, and then another round of boiled dinner at a friend's house yesterday. I'd keep going, but we are out of leftovers.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Sound the Trumpets!  Toot your horn!

Today's the day TT was born.

To our forums always

she does bring

an attitude welcome as spring.

Sugar cookies, whoopie pies,

decorations, recipes, buddhas,

Green Thumbs figurative and human,

with soap stars, nannies, cats and kittens

all are grist for her mill,

her daily updates always thrill.

Sons in town and sons away,

Grands and Great Grands should call today,

and wish this lady Happy Birthday!

And so do I, and many more, TT, whom chatters all adore!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Happy Birthday, tt. Hope you have a wonderful day with many calls or stop overs from your family. Plus cards galore in your mailbox. I know, you already celebrated, but this is THE day. Any lunch plans? It is cold but beautiful out.

Hope DH feels better as the day goes on, Kar. A pulled neck muscle is the worst, as we move our head constantly. Does he wear a neck brace? It is important to keep the muscle still. Also drink plenty of water, to flush out the toxins created by the injured muscle. Heat is good, but I think ice is better the first few days.

We did go out for pizza, Hats. It is not one of my favorite meals, but I go for DH's sake. He likes it.  And I have to say Sarpino's pizza is pretty good. I usually have a salad and one slice. What is leftover, we take home. I will probably serve it tonight for him, while I have a bowl of cabbage soup.

Had one of those terrible nights again. Never fell asleep and I was still wide awake, when DH's alarm clock went off at 4:30. I heard him get up, but I didn't hear him get ready and leave, so I must have fallen asleep by then. Woke up at 9 and feel a bit off. Nothing unusual happened yesterday. Nor did we eat or drink anything different. If this continues, I need to do something about it.

Made a call to my PT to see if I could get in later today or Wednesday. With the storm tomorrow, I cannot be certain to make my set up appointment, and I would rather not wait until Friday. There was no immediate opening, but there could be cancellations. The girl, who normally treats me is not in today until a bit later. She would ask her, if she could squeeze me in.

So now I am sitting duck waiting for a call. In the meantime, I will go to my office. It is payroll week, and I would like to finish it today, before the storm hits us.

Have a great day everyone!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Hats that's a great poem for tt. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Happy Birthdy TT!