March 2013!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Re: March 2013!

I've just started my spring/easter cleaning.  Started with the ceilings, then spot clean paint, dust pics, dust furniture baseboards, and will finally vacuum.  Also started cleaning off my desk of all the little pieces of paper with phone numbers and address labels torn off envelopes.  Putting them in the files I keep on the computer.  I feel as if I have already done a good day's work. 

Putting off the mantelpiece until last.  Thinking of arranging colored glass vases, dishes, etc.  in a spectrum.  I think it's pretty pathetic that I have enough stuff to do that....

I had a cleaning company back when I worked.  They came every 2 weeks. I felt it was essential.  I was stupid to give it up and if you can afford it, do it.  It makes so much difference to the amount of time you can spend on other things that are just as worthwhile!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

comment deleted

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just heard back from my friend.  She does still have 2 women who come every other week.  Next week, they'll be there and she'll ask them is they're open to taking any more clients.  She didn't volunteer what they charge, and I hate to ask people.  She said they did an OK job.  Seeing as I don't know anyone else who has cleaning people come in, I'll see what the news is next week when we get together for lunch.

Last tray of half moons is in the oven as we speak.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

All quiet on the board front - must be like my DIL, called me from work and then abruptly laughed and said, "Well, I've got to run.  Just wanted to check to see how you are.  See you Sunday."  Knew that meant a boss had come in.

Getting grey and cloudy here.  Are we in for some rain?  Got a couple of Easter cards in the mail today, and a belated birthday.  Looking out the kitchen window at the little apple tree, it looks as tho something had scratched it's horns on the trunk.  Pretty low for a deer, but I'll have to have GD's dad check it when he drops her off later this week for cupcake baking.  He'll be thrilled if it is from a deer - still keeps a camera in the woods that snaps pics of the deer feeding.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

comment deleted

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

After 6 hours of cleaning I just showered, a long lazy shower, extra attention to hair, fingernails, feet, teeth...cut my bangs...now must face the dreaded dinner prep...it's always something....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Robin39's comment:

Deer spread Lyme disease....saw 3 of them dart into traffic today to cross a busy road and almost cause an accident.

I would do nothing to encourage them and hope they stay deep in the woods where they belong.

People that feed deer for their own amusement are only putting them in harms way.

Is this in reply to my post?  Son does not feed deer in the woods. He simply has found hunters deer blinds (how do you feel about that?) and from there found where deer feed on bushes that are starting to bud.  Before he realized they made no money, his dream occupation would have been to be a forest ranger - interest in wildlife and woods still fill a large part of his time.  All the yards in this area, because they back up on woods, have paths where the deer come down looking for succulent treats as they come into bloom. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Ihavemyhats' comment:

After 6 hours of cleaning I just showered, a long lazy shower, extra attention to hair, fingernails, feet, teeth...cut my bangs...now must face the dreaded dinner prep...it's always something....

Good day's work, Hats.  I always enjoy Spring cleaning.  Everything looks and smells so fresh.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I haven't had much of a chance to write today, but I've been reading. :) It's cool that you can see deer in your back yard. Does he get any good photos? 

Wow hats what a busy day you had. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

He has some beautiful shots, but not from my back yard.  He has a tree mounted camera in the middle of the woods and has pics of families, including the young.  He called a few minutes ago and I told him about the marks on the apple tree, but he said this is not the time for them to be rubbing their antlers.  Curious as to what he'll think it was when he sees it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good afternoon, ladies. :)

Been cleaning here, too, and I just got back from a long walk with the pooch.  It clouded up and got cold here, too, and even flurried.  I should have walked earlier - it was 50 and sunny.  Took it for granted.

Pingo, good job building up slowly to more walking.  I wish you wouldn't compare your walks to my mileage - I haven't been in PT for months with pain!  I do have a hip problem, but it's not really made better or worse by anything...bent bones are what they are.  

Need to cook enough tonight for DH to eat tomorrow for lunch and dinner at home without me.  Oh, and measure out Gracie's afternoon meal and evening snack.  And, still have more to do before I get dinner on.

Have a good night and day tomorrow, everyone!

~kar

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

comment deleted

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

That's cool tt. I can only imagine how beautiful the pictures are. I'll be heading out soon. What's for dinner everyone? Have a nice day with the four children Kar.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hunters deer blinds in the suburbs, exactly.  When he first came across one in a tree, he contacted the wildlife agencies who sent a couple of rangers down.  Come to find out, it was legal, as was the licensed hunter who with bow and arrow was hunting the deer, during bow and arrow season.  Scarey that they can hunt so close to a residential area.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

If your son is adhering to 'Leave only footprints, take only pictures' then no one can complain.  And we do need to be careful about ticks, which means covering up when in the woods.  But we just can't stay indoors all the time, as some would have us do.

Two more days - LR/DR and one for Kitchen and Bath, and I will have a lovely clean house!  I feel good about this so thanks for the encouraging comments. 

I got a lovely Easter card in the mail today!  What a gift.  Glad I sent some myself.

My Market Basket Easter lilies are starting to bloom and I might have an Amaryllis popping on Sunday as well.  Spring is coming. but it is hard to be patient!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I feel I have miswritten so as to cause a misunderstanding of the circumstances.  My son was not the one who set up a blind.  He saw a hunter going into the woods, and subsequently found his blind, and called the authorities, because he did not think it legal to hunt so close to a populated area.  Unfortunately, he found it was perfectly legal.  What my son did was set up a camera attached to a tree to photograph animals (and humans) who passed by.  He does have some beautiful photos.  But, I'm sorry I brought this whole thing up.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, you made everything perfectly clear the first time around. You didn't need to correct yourself.

Please do tell us (me), what your son thinks of the scratches on your apple tree. We live in the same area, and I would very much like to know, what beasts I cohabit with.
    I don't find it amusing at all, that people are allowed to hunt so near to residences. I do know, we have to many deer, so they are starving. But if you have to hunt, please do it somewhere else.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, Pingo.  Sometimes our thoughts are faster than our fingers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Winter - I am really looking forward to it.  I'm getting DH's food situation all set tonight so he won't starve or, worse, eat 2 lbs of mixed nuts for the day's sustenance, lol.  I have to make biscuits, now.  He'll be home at 7...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

comment deleted

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Made the biscuits, a curry/veggie/farro dish, and lentils.  Given the leftover chicken, baked potatoes and honey mustard vegetables are still a yummy choice, DH should be OK if he doesn't get into the work snacks and chow down.

I had a lovely bowl of lentils and a biscuit and beer for dinner.  Yum!  I might sneak out to the chocolate stash; DH is totally distracted by work he brought home.  I'd be willing to share, but if he knows about it, the whole pound will be gone by the time I get home tomorrow and he won't be able to move.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Winter, the Spy Museum is wonderful!!!  For you, too, not just your son. You do need to pay, and it's a lot of money for those of us used to paying ZERO at the Smithsonian museums (which is the Zoo and pretty much every other museum in DC), but it's a wonderful museum.  It's probably about $25 per person (you can google it to see exactly how much money) and I forget how old your son is - if he's in 7th or 8th grade, or even 6th grade, I think he'll like the spy museum.  There is LOTS of reading and my husband and I spent one entire day there - it's not a quick 2 hour museum.  That being said, that's because we like to read EVERY WORD that is printed on every display.  That's just how we are, if people aren't quite like that it wouldn't take that long. But they have real tiny spy cameras used by spies to take photos (like from a pen, or whatever) and also other cool spy stuff. And info about different types of spying throughout the ages.  And then the museum store was also really fun - usually those stores are just full of junk but this one was really interesting, with cool books and other stuff.  So, yes, go to that museum, then go across the street to either Gordon Biersch restaurant (they have yummy garlic french fries and beer) or Ella's (homemade yummy pizza and even better beer).  The zoo is nice, as zoos go although I won't go in the gorilla house, but the new Asian exhibit (with the pandas) is nicely done and perhaps their new elephant habitat will be done? it's no Bronx zoo, but it's pretty good. The spy museum is definitely an adult's museum more than a kids' museum. 

I was less impressed by the Newseum - but then, the news doesn't intrigue me all that much. that's a paying museum.  We're so darned spoiled down here bec. most museums are free to us that it's just hard to pay for a museum!  But of course in other parts of the country that's the norm.

Warning, it's HOT and HUMID down here in the summer.  Like the worst week of August in MA, only all the time from June through September, so don't plan for a whole day of being outside without indoor breaks for air conditioning.  In the summer none of us eat at restaurants outside - we are back in the AC, so sad but it's just not possible to enjoy a meal like that. BUT we eat outside earlier and later in the season - late spring into early october, so that makes up for eating inside in the summer.  CARRY water and drink it.  And when you go to the Zoo, do NOT get off at the "zoo" exit for the metro (which is Woodley Park) as you must then walk UP HILL to the zoo, and it's several blocks.  Go to the next stop, called Van Ness, and then walk DOWN HILL an equal number of blocks to the zoo.  Ta da!  I learned this the hard way, and now am always so sad to see people struggling up that hill pushing strollers, holding kids' hands, when it's so much easier the other way. 

We have a lovely and very walkable city, it's small like Boston is, but do also take the metro and cabs because you don't want to melt into a puddle, that's no fun.  Also, be warned you can NOT just 'go out and get an ice cream after dinner for dessert" - we don't have that kind of thing here.  Sigh.  So when you're at the restaurant, get your dessert there. 

And if people ask you here if they can help you find something, do know they are being honest - they want to help and they will.  Most people if they see you looking quizzical, or holding a map, will simply stop what they are doing and ask if they can direct you.  Truly amazing, since that's not a Boston/Massachusetts trait at all.  Now I find myself doing it, because I follow the role modeling of others.  (once I knew what I was doing, that is)

And there is nothing like at night looking up and seeing the Capitol lit up no matter where you are in the city - very cool! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Expected to wake up to a light covering of snow.  Glad everything is just wet.

CT what a great description of your city.  You've given Winter so much helpful information.  It will help her fam in deciding just what places of interest to take advantage of.

Another early day to get around, intown son is going to stop over this morning to put my trash out, since there's one really heavy bag.  He's apt to stop by on his way to the gym, so want to be dressed.

Kargiver, enjoy your day, it will be a busy one and I know the twins mom is really going to be glad to have you along on their trip to the pedi.  I'm sure your DH will make out just fine, as you say, he'll be tinkering with garage stuff, and Gracie will be in her glory having daddy all to herself!

I'll check in later.  Have a good one.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Thank you CT very informative. Spy Museum it is. He will be going into the 7th grade in September and will be almost 13 when we go in August. I think we will have our car most days since we are staying in National Harbor, MD, though I think we plan on taking that bus that you can get on and get off one day. We will be in D.C., Saturday, Sunday and Monday and then head to Willamsburg on Monday. I have been warned that it's very hot.

tt, how are the half moons coming along? I'm thinking of one right now with my coffee.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

The half moons are all made, sans frosting, and already in the freezer.  Sat I'll take out a few and frost them for the gentlemen.  GD has off Good Friday, but may be busy with friends, so is coming over Sat morning, we'll bake and frost this new cupcake recipe, and color Easter eggs, have lunch and then her dad will pick her up - and check the markings on my apple tree.  My breakfast this morning will be a bowl of oatmeal and then a donut with coffee.  Water is heating now (bought the instant oatmeal this week for a change).