March 2013!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Re: March 2013!

Happy Birthday Pingo...Had to get that in....b4 the day ran away rom me

@TT...Nikki has MS I believe....I do like it when soaps deal with real issues

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Wow, was I wrong about us missing the snow part of this storm!  Expected to wake up to just about the same as when I went to bed last night.  Wrong.  There's definitely low visibility here, the snow is blowing and it's a thick blanket of it coming down still.  Lucky me to not have to think of going out.  Must be too heavy for a snow blower, see the man across the street shoveling his driveway and continuing a ways out into the street before he attemps to back out.  Wonder if Superman next door will try to back right through the snow bank like he tried last storm.

How did you make out, Kargiver, I always think of you, because I know you are in Western MA, like G.T.  He had said if it was bad he wasn't going to try to drive in,  Shoveling out if he got stuck is something he couldn't do right now with the sciatica.

Oatmeal morning, and hot hot coffee.  Stay safe, all of you.  Good day for baking, so I've a feeling those lemon cupcakes will finally get made and frozen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good morning all.  Very slippery commute this morning.  I didn't think it would be so bad, as yesterday was fine, but it was quite an adventure! 

Mom is still in the hospital, likely coming home today.  I was able to go up and spend quite a lot of time with her, so that was good.  Her oxygen level is very low, so we are getting her hooked up with home oxygen.  It's going to be quite a site to see now when I take her out.  As you know, I am quite small (4'11"), and now I will have her, the wheelchair, and the oxygen tank to get in/out of my SUV and cart her around, lol.  Should be quite funny actually.  I don't mind.  She is still quite disoriented and confused.  I'm thinking getting her back to the her home environment will help.

She's very concerned about her beloved cat (who is being cared for by someone at the assisted living place), so I went over there to check on her and give her a little snuggle.  She was doing fine, though misses my Mom I'm sure.  Those two are buddies.

Hope you all can stay in today.  Looks like a good weekend for your celebration though TT!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Glad you got to see your mother yesterday, princess.  I'm sure the combination of oxygen and getting back to her own surroundings will make a difference in her confusion - after a few days when she's had a chance to get back into her regular routine.

Well, this wet heavy snow will be a good test to see if their "repairs" on my roof have taken care of the leaking problem.  Gawd, I hope so. 

Time to get dressed, pop those cupcakes in the oven, and see what's going on with TV news, with a hot cup of coffee.

Kargiver, are you feeling OK?  Didn't see you again yesterday after your initial posting.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, all,

I'm hanging in there, but haven't been feeling like myself or up to posting much, forcing myself through the day.  I think my days of putting up with BIL at all, ever, are coming to a close, but no matter what it will be a nightmare in some way or another that won't end.

prin, I'm sorry about the situation with your mom.  It must feel daunting and overwhelming.  Hopefully, her sat will improve and everything along with an increase in oxygen.

Good call for G.T. to stay home.  Yes, we got slammed, too.  They predicted 8", but DH shoveled and said 15".  I know the TV is reporting 12" out here, but it's over his big boot so it's more for sure.  I bet we'll get another 5 or 6 today so I'll have to shovel.  Oh, right now the weather channel just said they got a report of 16" just 10 miles north of Worcester.  Yup...that's about right.

tt, I've never made cupcakes and am planning to do so this weekend for DH's birthday.  I bought a cupcake pan, and I'm wondering if cupcake papers and muffin papers are the same thing?  And, if you have a non-stick cupcake pan do you even NEED papers?  Thanks!  I've never been much of a baker, really, lol.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

What a great day to experiment with cupcakes!  FWIW, I use the same papers for muffins and cupcakes, and yes, do line even a non-stick pan (for cupcakes, not necessary for muffins IMO).  I also use my muffin pans to make single serving meatloafs - my regular meatloaf recipe makes a dozen minis.

TT- still looking for something to do with the chicken breasts?  An easy and yummy favorite of mine is to mix one packet of Italian seasoning mix, about a cup of grated parm cheese, and garlic powder to taste.  Prep and coat chicken like you are using Shake and Bake.  Into the oven at 425 for 20 mintues.  Yummy! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Lots and lots of snow everywhere. So pretty looking, but so inconvenient. I am going to be a chicken and cancel my PT this morning. Don't feel like driving in this weather.
    Sorry you are not feeling well, Kar. I am hoping you are right, that you won't have to deal with your BIL any more. Sounds like he is toxic for you.
    Re the cupcakes/muffins. If you have a nonstick pan and you grease it well, you should technically not need the papers. But the papers make it so much easier. Especially if you plan to freeze some of them. So much easier to handle w/ the papers on. Muffin and cupcake papers are the same thing.
    Nice you got to visit w/ your mother, princess. I am sure it was beneficial for the both of you. Getting back to her own surroundings, will hopefully help with the confusion.
    Good, tt, you don't have to go out today for party pick ups. By the time your party rolls around, the roads will be fine.
    Not sure about my dinner out tonight. We will wait until early afternoon and decide.
    Stay safe and dry.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sunny warmer week-end ahead, Kargiver.  Your spirits will lift, and my hip will quiet down nights.  lol

Papers for cupcakes/muffins are called "baking cups" and are the same, as the others have already told you.  I always use them.  Why go through the hassle of trying to get the cupcakes out in one piece without a bit sticking on the bottom.  If you really wanted to serve them without the papers, you could always take them out after they have cooled.  You may be asking because you don't have any papers in the house.  In that case, BAM (by all means) go ahead and lightly grease the tins and bake them.  Let them set for 10 minutes when they come out before trying to get them out, if you go that route.  Just looked at this cake mix box and it makes 24 cupcakes - not in this house.  I'll make 8 and pour the rest into a small cake pan.  Just want them really for step GGD who loves lemon and whose birthday is one of those we celebrate in March.  Decided to make her the saltine/chocolate candy she loves too, and the Spanish Cream for oldest son who eats gluten free.  A lot ahead of me tomorrow.

Novem, that coating sounds delicious.  When you say prep chicken as for shake and bake, what is the prep?  I never use S&B, so don't know.  Dip them in milk or something first?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning. So DS had school so off we went. He wasn't late, which is good. I'm surprised they even had school.Kar, yes you can use the same papers. I use the papers even with my non stick pan. tt, I think G.T. made the right decision to stay home with his back bothering him lately. Hope your roof holds tight. Princess I hope bringing your mom home to her cat helps her feel like her old self again.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Are you at work, Winter?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Its not even that involved, TT.  Just put the coating in a ziplock bag, rinse chicken with cold water and place into the bag damp (one at a time), and shake until coated.  Then lay them on a baking sheet, and voila!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, yes I am at work. I work close to my son's Catholic School. Novemb, what type of packaged Italian seasoning do you use? The chicken sounds good.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Princess, The oxygen will help out quite a bit with your mom, try and get an aparatus for the house use and a portable one for when you take her out.....I use liquid oxygen and my portable is good for up to 10 hrs., very light to carry, not even 5 lbs.  Boy did we get snow...it looks beautiful, but, so glad I don't have to shovel it....tt. save me  a lemon cupcake. ss                                        

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thank you, ladies, for the as-always excellent advice.   I do have papers but thought they might just be for muffins...I guess that really doesn't make much sense, though, does it?  Anyway, I'll definitely use them for the cupcakes for all the great reasons you mentioned.  

Oh, and I love the mini meatloaf idea, Prin!  And, yum re the chicken.  tt, I usually put the mix in a plastic bag and shake the plain chicken in it to coat.  No milk or egg necessary imo.

And, thanks, too for your understanding and support re BIL - "toxic" is a succinct, comprehensive description.

I was hoping to go out for sugar free pudding mix for a recipe I found for frosting that probably won't upset DH's sugar-intolerant system, but we are essentially snowed in.  DH plowed a swath and blasted his car through to it, making quite a snowy scene in the process.  I will not be so daring, and tomorrow I'll be able to breeze in and out easily.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Good Seasons - the one you mix with oil for salad dressing.  The recipe came from either the good seasons box, or the side of the parm container, not sure which, LOL!  I use less than the whole packet, andI don't skimp on the garlic powder, but its one of those "use these three indgredients to taste" kind of recipes.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

8 cupcakes (sorry, SS, just enough to put out with the 8 choc wowie cupcakes) and a loaf pan of lemon cake baking away.  Decided I'll make the saltine candy as soon as they come out of the oven.  It's certainly not going to go bad.  I'll just keep it refrigerated so it won't get soft.

I have to go out tomorrow to get salad fixings and milk and will pick up the seasoning and try the chicken your way, Novem.  Sounds good to me.  The chicken breasts are very large so may take longer than the 20 minutes.  That's good tho, I can bake them before the lasagna goes in.  I'm sure they'll keep warm.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

DH just came in from shoveling our deck off the kitchen (for the birds). 15 plus inches and 12 inches on the railing. And there are more to come. He now went out to do the driveway. Just looked at the radar. The storm isn't even half way done. I don't see how it will clear up this afternoon.
    I think I will do some baking too. I picked up a package of Blondie Mix at TJ's, I want to try. The sample tasted mighty good. And I will use the coconut oil instead of the butter they call for.
    I called to cancel my PT appointment. They had lots of cancellations. I asked the receptionist, how she got in that early. She told me, she didn't. She transferred the phone yesterday to her home phone. Ah, today's technology.
    November, your breaded chicken sounds delicious. Will have to try it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

With heavy snow like this, a thought, Pingo, would your husband consider hiring someone to clear the driveway?  I know you've mentioned it's a long one.  He's not getting any younger, not that he'd want to hear that, but older men can exert themselves in this kind of weather.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, I heard the storm won't be cleaned up in decent shape until Saturday night...doesn't bode well for going out tonight, unfortunately.  :(

indeed, they are calling this "heart attack" snow on the Weather Channel.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I read you loud and clear. Thanks for your concern. I am concerned too, but don't forget DH plays 2 hours tennis at least twice a week.
    We used to have someone to come and plow us out, but plows do a terrible job (sorry, November) on our driveway. They go back and forth and pack the snow, so it becomes ice, and we are stuck w/ an icy driveway for the rest of the season.
    We have a snow blower, but it didn't always start this winter. It is an old one, and it is definitely time to trade it in, when they go on sale after the winter.
    Our guy, who usually comes and help us, is busy on one of our construction sites. So now DH is out there with the shovel. He is "only" doing a strip pushing the snow to the side, so we can get our cars out. I peeked out, and he is already 3/4 done.
    Spring, where are you?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes, Kar, I am not optimistic for dinner out tonight either. This is certainly a birthday, I will remember for more than one reason.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pictured G.T. lounging (haha) at home and just got an email that he had just gottten into work.  He has to be nuts.  Just like going into work so soon after being in ER for sciatica, and your husband doing the shoveling - they think they're indispensable.  Baking for today is done.  Now to wrap up their birthday cards with ribbons and fix me some lunch.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

DH is almost ready to leave for work. The reports we get from others are, that the roads are fine. One just have to be able to get out on them.
    DH did enough to get out of our driveway, and our guy is now on his way to do the rest.
    Maybe our dinner will still be on for tonight.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Great news. We are closing at 3 today, 2:30 for me since that is when I take my lunch to pick up and drop off my son.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Snow has stopped here.  Now just waiting for the town plows to do the street and my own guy to take care of my driveway and walk.  Independent plowers have plowed each side of the street, leaving the center untouched, and banks of snow along the sides.  Traffic is picking up, so perhaps the main streets aren't too bad.

Bonus to making the candy ahead of time, can you guess what it is?  lol

Sections
Shortcuts