March 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: March 2014

hm, tomorrow.  I dunno...the hens will be gone with nothing left of the food I bought for the weekend so I'll need to go grocery shopping.  Big deal, huh?!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Robin - I know how much you like links, here's one that' interesting:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/10/001018075252.htm

Summary: Chicken soup may contain a number of substances with beneficial medicinal activity including an anti-inflammatory mechanism that could ease the symptoms of upper respiratory tract infections, according to a new study. The study was reported in the October issue of CHEST, the peer-reviewed journal of the American College of Chest Physicians.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Kudos, Princess.  

Didn't know we were apt to get snow flurries today, but the grey sky made me turn on the TV and just caught the weather forecast.  My poor birds.  I keep waiting for a warmer day to go out with my hammer and make some headway in breaking up the artic ice on my back walk.  Friday in the 40's?  That's where I'll be.  Only dared once to slip and slide my way out and up a slope to the feeder, but since then have stood on the back stairs tossing cupfuls out on top of the hardened snow.  It's a little too close to the house for the cardinals, they keep landing on the feeder, checking.  I suppose they survive in other neighborhoods without being fed daily, but mine are spoiled.

Another birthday song morning - pumpkin's mom, and is it your husband's b'day today too, Winter?  You're post is on a different page so I can't skim up and check.  Happy birthday to him too.

Breakfast now and then upstairs to bring down "the wearin of the green" decorations.

Winter, how did your P.T. last night go?  You've been before for other P.T.s, so I'm sure you know sometimes the cure is worse than the illness - at first, at least.  I have never done well with P.T., but the cortisone shots have worked, in the case of my knee particularly.

Phone just rang, GD is coming over today after school.  Yippee!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning. Yes tt it's DH's brithday. Happy birthday to Pumpkin's mom! Ugh PT was very very painful and it really was just an evulation, but he needed to see what it could and couldn't do/take. He believes by feeling my first that I have some beginning stages of carpel tunnel, so I need to get one of those things to put with my keyboard so my wrists don't hunch over. Happy that your GD is coming over, can't wait to see pictures of the crafts and the cookies.

Nice to hear from you Princess, how are you feeling? Kar, hope you still have power.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

@prin-cal, re: The 14 year old article you provided a link for??  It appears that you may have misinterpreted my comments. I was simply attempting to convey helpful information based on my knowledge and experience.  If it doesn't apply to you, just ignore it. Or provide your own thoughts on the subject. Thanks 

Ps: If you posted your comment for entertainment purposes, then I misunderstood.

prin-cals comment: "Robin - I know how much you like links, here's one that' interesting:"

"Summary: Chicken soup may contain a number of substances with beneficial medicinal activity including an anti-inflammatory mechanism that could ease the symptoms of upper respiratory tract infections, according to a new study. The study was reported in the October issue of CHEST, the peer-reviewed journal of the American College of Chest Physicians."

In response to pingo's comment:

"For all you cold sufferers, I hope you are getting better. Lots of hot tea with honey and lemon. You are right Robin, honey is 100% carbs. But truly, who cares when one is so miserable. Besides, one has usually no appetite, when sick - so it all evens out." [QUOTE]

My response:  "The symptoms described (in one of the posts) did not sound like the common cold.  

Honey and lemon is not medication.  Just as chicken soup and gingerale are not.                          

Some people may find these things soothing however, when combined with conventional treatment." 

"Robin, I know honey, lemon, chicken soup are not medications. But they soothe you. And if you feel better, your body has more energy to heal itself.
    As far as Grandma's chicken soup is concerned, it has been proven, it actually do have anti inflammatory properties". [QUOTE]

My response: "Yes, but these remedies (soothing as they may be) don't cure infection such as strep throat,  bronchitis, or have much impact on a hacking cough that makes you nauseous and keeps you up at night. 

If a cold lasts more than a week or two it is best to seek medical attention. That's just common sense. 

It's not like it's 1918 when we had the flu pandemic and millions of people died, we have treatment options available now."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You know, Winter, when I first got carpal tunnel, the pain was in the top of my arm, particularly at night.  I never did have wrist pain.  Hope the gadget for your keyboard helps.

Are you going out to eat tonight or making DH's favorite meal?

Tried to snap a pic of the birds/squirrels feasting out back, but they are super sensitive to any movement at all in the kitchen.  As soon as I raised the camera, even tho I was standing behind the table, off they flew, except for these two and a squirrel, I managed to capture on film.

Oops - picture showed in my posting box, but won't transfer up here -

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Makes sense that's where your pain was, I do'nt have wrist pain either, well I do it I bend my first so my fingers are pointing down, but that's expected with tennis elbow. His favorite meal is a roast, so I'm planning on making that on Sunday, since I won't have enough time to make tonight and with DS' homework load we can't go out to eat tonight. We did go out last night since he was with his dad, but my arm hurt after PT so I don't think I was much fun.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Happy birthday to Winter's DH and Pumpkin's mom!

tt, the birds will do ok - don't risk falling.  DH actually fell on our granite steps while I was in Boston for brother.  Could have been bad, but God was multitasking for us.  

Winter, I wondered if it were CT...having been in a keyboard career I knew lots of people who had the same problems.  I hope it doesn't come to this, BUT those I know who had surgery (I know you have PT and a possible shot before anything this drastic) had complete relief and a short recovery.  So, worst comes to worst, if nothing else works, it can be fixed.

Thanks, we do still have power.  So strange, but we'll take it.  I haven't dumped the water by the sinks yet...there's obviously something just waiting to go back to an off state.

Feeling better today having slept where it's warmer at night, upstairs in the guest room.  No, I didn't sleep on my stomach to avoid coughing this time!  So, I coughed, but not as much as I would have had I slept in our downstairs master suite that DH insulated heavily to keep cool...usually a good thing.

When is hats coming back?

tt, have a great time with GD today. :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hats didn't give an actual date she was coming back.  Maybe if she's reading she'll pop in and tell us.  Miss her on the boards.  And now, it looks as tho BDC won't be letting me post a pic of our afternoon activities.  I'll take pics anyway and save them until that feature is up and running again, at least for me - others may be able to do picture posting.  Why don't you try one of Gracie, Kargiver?

(Just tried again on an edit, but it still won't show up here)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

The injury is mostly Tennis Elbow, he thinks the tightness in my wrist area could be the start of carpel tunnel. So I'll do the stretches that the he showed me and cross my fingers. My mom and sister and brother have carpel tunnel.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The injury is mostly Tennis Elbow, he thinks the tightness in my wrist area could be the start of carpel tunnel. So I'll do the stretches that the he showed me and cross my fingers. My mom and sister and brother have carpel tunnel.

[/QUOTE]

There is an electrical test they can do to definitely determine if it's that, and to what degree there is blockage.  I had them done in both wrists, and had one hand operated on, but I still  have numbness in the tips of my fingers from damaged nerves.  Opted not to have the other one done.  I think in my case I had waited too long.  

Gotta get busy now and get some things ready around here.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tennis elbow and CT?  Ugh!  

hm, I'll see if I can post a photo.  I have to shrink one first...hold please. :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

He said with these stretches that the CT may be able to go away. If the mussels stretch out they could lossen and have better movement. I'm hopeful. In other news we have booked our summer vacation...hopefully summer comes! We are taking a 7-day cruise sailing from New Orleans. We will be visitng Mahognay Bay, Honduras; Belize; and Cozumel, Mexico. We opted with a Carnival Cruise since they have a lot of stuff that will keep my son happy. We go the last week in August and come back the day before Labor Day. DS starts 8th grade(oh my) the day after Labor Day.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

"You guys don't appreciate my comments?  See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya.  Pfft!"

Apparently you missed us, Robin.

In response to GoneToTheDogs39's comment:
    [QUOTE]

@prin-cal, re: The 14 year old article you provided a link for??  It appears that you may have misinterpreted my comments. I was simply attempting to convey helpful information based on my knowledge and experience.  If it doesn't apply to you, just ignore it. Or provide your own thoughts on the subject. Thanks 

Ps: If you posted your comment for entertainment purposes, then I misunderstood.

prin-cals comment: "Robin - I know how much you like links, here's one that' interesting:"

"Summary: Chicken soup may contain a number of substances with beneficial medicinal activity including an anti-inflammatory mechanism that could ease the symptoms of upper respiratory tract infections, according to a new study. The study was reported in the October issue of CHEST, the peer-reviewed journal of the American College of Chest Physicians."

"For all you cold sufferers, I hope you are getting better. Lots of hot tea with honey and lemon. You are right Robin, honey is 100% carbs. But truly, who cares when one is so miserable. Besides, one has usually no appetite, when sick - so it all evens out." [QUOTE]

My response:  "The symptoms described (in one of the posts) did not sound like the common cold.  

Honey and lemon is not medication.  Just as chicken soup and gingerale are not.                          

Some people may find these things soothing however, when combined with conventional treatment." 

"Robin, I know honey, lemon, chicken soup are not medications. But they soothe you. And if you feel better, your body has more energy to heal itself.
    As far as Grandma's chicken soup is concerned, it has been proven, it actually do have anti inflammatory properties". [QUOTE]

My response: "Yes, but these remedies (soothing as they may be) don't cure infection such as strep throat,  bronchitis, or have much impact on a hacking cough that makes you nauseous and keeps you up at night. 

If a cold lasts more than a week or two it is best to seek medical attention. That's just common sense. 

It's not like it's 1918 when we had the flu pandemic and millions of people died, we have treatment options available now."

[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,

Happy birthday to today's birthday people. Slow start this morning. Our British friend face-timed me, and we had a long chat. She just returned from a 10 days business trip to India and had a lot to tell.

Sounds like a wonderful vacation, you are going to have, Winter. Hope your arm is fully back to normal by then. Did the PT indicate, why you might have gotten the tennis elbow? How often will you be going to the PT? I haven't made a roast in a very long time. I have never been good at it. What kind of cut of meat do you use?

Nice that GD is coming over today, tt. Will you be making both the bowl and the wreaths plus the cookies? Sound a lot to jam in in one afternoon. I forgot to mention, I was dreaming a few nights ago, that I was folding strips for a bowl too --- using aluminum foil - LOL. It had to be ready in an hour, and of course the glue wouldn't stick. I woke up feeling the anxiety; my heart beating fast. Crazy!

Don't worry about the birds. They will find enough food. I have thrown seeds on the ground too on days, where I was afraid to venture outside. The cardinals will still come and eat. They may have eaten yours too. You just haven't caught them while doing it. It is more important, you don't slip and fall.

Good you still have power, Kar. Don't dump that water. You know, Murphy's Law. And your cold is better? That's good news. There is nothing better like a good night's sleep, when you are not feeling well. 

I see the snow flakes here. But it will not matter to much. The blue area on the radar is almost out to sea. Getting ready to leave for work. Have a good day everyone.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I use various cuts of meat, but I use a package of Lipton Onion Soup mix as the roast rub. For 9 years I worked behind a deli counter slicing cold cuts, he said that could have started it. My script for PT is for 4 weeks, twice a week. I have appointments set up till the 20th, and then we'll add on after that, No more icing of it, on to heat now. :) At this point no ultrasound, it's not on the script and they feel that it's not needed for this condition and stage. I did have it for my ACL/MCL and it helped to stimulate the nerves.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Here I sit, with my clothes and my bathrobe on!!   House felt real cold when I got up this AM, checked the thermastat, was real low, so I pushed it up.....no heat later, what is going on??  DD went to go downstairs and push the re-start button on the furnace and came right back up to tell me the cellar has lots of water in it, water is shooting up out of the top of the burner!!  Oh my, now what!!  Called my oil man, he came right over and shut off the water valve to the furnace, helped DD clear up the water on the floor, and then sent over his technician to dry out the burner, fix the valve that malfunctioned and maybe in 2/3 hrs we will start to get heat......

DD#3's oldest, my grandson is 18 today, where do the years go?? He will graduate in May from HS....

I had Carpel tunnel surgery in the late 80's, never bothered by it again....Dr. from Quincy operated....can't even see the scar.

Till next time, take care and keep smiling,  ss 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

ss, so sorry to hear about you problem. Especially on a cold day like this. Glad you have it taken care of right away. Can you bake something today? That will give you a bit of heat. At least in the kitchen. Good you were at home, when it happened. People go away, and if something like this happens, they come home to a layer of frozen ice all over the house. It happened to our friends - 3 inches thick.  They had to stay in a hotel for months, before their home was livable again.
    Happy B-Day to your grand son too.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

OK, everything's laid out for choice of wreaths - pasta water in pan on stove - cookie ingredients in bowl - St. Paddy's decorations down and ready to be put up - I think I'm ready for company in about an hour.

SS, what a mess that must have been.  Good of the furnace guy to help clean up the water.  Hope your heat is back on.  You could always come here and make a wreath and eat a few choc chip cookies - with green sprinkles!  I'm looking forward to a few of them myself.  Ran out this morning because I had no green sprinkles - every other color under the rainbow, but my green sprinkle jar was empty.  Got the last one on the shelf at Michael's.  Of course, once I was in there, picked up $20 worth of other stuff too.  But it won't go to waste in this house.

Laughed at your description of folding strips of foil for a bowl, Pingo.  I had a weird dream last night too, but I can't remember it now.  Probably bits and pieces from the book I'm reading.

Icer, you haven't been on in a while.  Thought of you today when they showed Adam's hand on top of a bed cover - wonder if they did find a look alike to replace him.

Funny day with the little flurries.  Glad they're not adding up.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, you are inspiring me to start using FaceTime.  Glad you were able to catch up with your overseas friend.  I want to keep up with family far away especially now that we've all been reminded of how fragile and fleeting life is.

SS, what a MESS!!  Hopefully, you have heat by now.  Bad time to lose heat; our house is usually down to 62 after the fire goes out.

Winter, sounds like a blast of a cruise!  

DH is going on his at the end of June for 10 days.  I wonder how much water I'll retain eating Chinese takeout for every meal while he's gone!

Hope you're having a wonderful afternoon with GD, tt.  I forgot to try to post a photo...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Here's my attempt at a photo.  It's supposed to be my strained kefir cultures.  My SIL wanted to start making coconut milk kefir so I got her started with these and took the photo to let her know what she's getting.  (Hopefully, this is the photo you'll see instead of my bro's "Sovereign.")

ETA:  I had the same issue; the pic appeared in my ready-to-post window, but didn't appear.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I decided not to go to work after all. I was one day ahead of myself, thinking it was Thursday today. I won't be in this Friday - so I had to go in, if it indeed was Thursday today. But I gained a full day, so instead I did a few more kitchen cabinets, and already have another box for the Veterans.

Just came back from running a couple of errands. It is so raw out. I wanted to go to the Carter Store to get a couple more baby mittens. She had only one pair while we were there, and they seemed to get lost all the time. But of course, I came out with a lot more than that. It is like a child's (or maybe tt's) candy store for me. I justified it by telling myself, that it was Wednesday and grand parents discount day.

Kar, I found a way not to gain too much fluid, when eating Chinese. I drink green tea. Lots of green tea. You can drink water too, but I can't drink that much water. So at the restaurant I ask for a pot of tea (our favorite serves in cups) - and I usually finish 3 full pots during the meal. Yea - I get up a couple time at night, but I don't wake up bloated.

ss, I hope you have your heat back by now. Just a suggestion. If you haven't already started a fan in your boiler room, you might want to do it now. A couple is even better. You don't want that dampness turn into mildew.

Friend just called. Want to go for Mexican food tonight? This weather made her feel low, and she needed some cheering up. I guess, that will be our dinner tonight.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I'll be heading out soon. Hope you are happily crafting tt. Can't wait to hear about what you made with GD today. Pingo have a good time having Mexican. What place do you go too? Have a good night everyone.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Wonderful sounding cruise, Winter.  

We had a wonderful afternoon.  Her father just picked her up.  As soon as she got here she had her couple of bowls of pasta and butter and apple juice.  Then we got started.  I put all the various stuff out on the kitchen table and let her go to it.  I worked on a smaller yellow form leftover from when Lilly visited, and glued purple, lilac and yellow pansies all over it with a purple bow.  She took the larger wreaths and decorated one with Irish stuff, and the other with chicken and Easter things.  It came out so cute.  I made the bows for her.  Then we made the cookies and her father called reminding her she had homework to do, including Spanish on the computer.  We begged about making the bowl and he said to forget about it, he was on his way.  Well, in the time it took him to get here, she coiled the bowl and I am so pleased with it.  Then she came out from the l.r. and said, You forgot one batch of the strips you had taped, Nana.  At that point, we weren't going to touch the bowl (except for me mod podging it), so that's that.  I have the pics for when we are able to post, if we are able to post pics again.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Will first try again with the picture posting - maybe just one at a time - this is GD's Easter one -

Guess not.

Sent pics of our craftiness to G.T. and he loved the floral wreath.  Since we go out there for Easter, thinking of doing a bowl in the purple/colors and then glue the purple/yellow pansies around the edge.  Started tearing the right colors out of mags last night while I watched Flipping Out on Bravo.  Saw that Real Housewives of NYC starts up the first week in April.  I would make him a wreath, or give him the floral one I made, but he is super particular, and close examination of my wreaths I don't think would stand up to his standards.  I figure the little gift bowl with wrapped candies would be a nice present. Seems as tho I'm really hooked on these paper strip bowls, but I honestly think looking down into them, they are so beautiful.

Waiting to see if the birds check out the feeder this morning - they're in for a treat.

Hope you weren't too  long without heat yesterday, SS.  Had planned on calling you after supper but got a call from my neighbor's sister, who talked for an hour, and I was just too tired when I hung up.

Hope everyone is feeling better this morning.  Robin is back in tree, looking in this morning, wonder if he displaced the mockingbird.  I had thrown a bunch of raisins under the hollyberry bush, but haven't seen any takers.

Off for an early breakfast, which means an early start to the day.  I'll check in later.

P.S.  Meant to mention that I took those leftover strips and coiled them into a small bowl for GD.  Looing into gluing a shamrock or harp in the bottom.  She'll be over next week to make shamrock sugar cookies and I'll give it to her then.