March 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1797616. Show user_1797616's posts

Re: March 2014

In response to toytrumpet's comment:

Good morning - afternoon ,

Great day to get the rest of that ice out back melted with tea kettles of hot water.  Time consuming, but I have most of where I need to walk, done.

Nice you are doing needlepoint for your GD, Pingo.  Those types of gifts, as with Kargiver's teddy bears, are the ones that are kept and cherished.

Hate the forecast of snow for Monday, had an appt. rescheduled for Monday afternoon, and now I know why they suddenly had a cancellation and could fit me in!  Hopefully it will be just light showers that will have disappeared by the time I have to go out.

Party planning is always fun, Kargiver.  What are you planning on having to eat?  Speaking of parties, did we miss your birthday yesterday, Pingo?  Gawd, what a bunch we are getting to be - forgetting everyone's special days.

User, I have started my Art of running in the Rain - and am enjoying it.  What a different idea for telling a story.  Also reading the new Alexander McCall Smith's No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency Novel, "The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon".  I enjoyed the first couple in the series, and it's a piece of light reading.

tt, Glad you're enjoying it.  I had a feeling you would.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

OK, ice melting accomplished.  Now have a clear path to the feeder.  The roosting bar that was there mysteriously disappeared - don't even find it in the snow below - so I slid a wooden dowel through the holes, and an hour later I could see that that was gone!  Went out and it was lying in the snow - I had left plenty extending out on either end so don't know how that happened, but slid it back in.  Tomorrow I'll wind duck tape around on the outside ends to keep it from slipping through.

Would love a nice hot full meal for supper, but can't think of anything I could/should eat.  Had some sauceless ravioli and peas for lunch.  May just scramble up a couple of eggs.

Nice to see your post, CT-DC.  Your kitchen makeover sounds nice.  What with job changing and all, you've got a lot going on.  If this new one is something you really want, hope you are successful.

It was great to be able to leave the inside doors open today and push down the heat.  Stepped outside to change my flag (to a St. Paddy's one of course) and did my ice melting stints without a coat. 

Every so often I sit and fold  few yellow pages in readiness for G.T.'s Easter bowl.  Anxious to get to the point where I can glue the pansies around the edge.  I think it's going to be pretty - I hope it's going to be pretty.  I'm so addicted that when a new magazine dropped through the mail slot today I right away leafed through it tearing out yellow and purple pages!  Oh my.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, CT!  Good to see you.  I bet the kitchen looks bright, cheery, and modern...great job in 6 days and good money saving!  Good luck with the new job, but glad at least your current one isn't as bad.  Yes, my brother is young, 38, and the stroke was due to his having dissected his carotid artery (a tear in the lining) 4 days before the clot that formed as a result in his neck broke off and went to his brain.  So, no stroke risk at this point - they said his arteries are perfect. :)  

Pingo, DH knows about the party, I was just hoping that every detail wouldn't come together with him here.  Decorating, menu, etc.  Oh, well, it really doesn't matter.

tt, the menu isn't finalized, actually.  The main course is turkey (2 14 lbs), and SIL is baking the cake.  I'm doing a meat, cheese, olive platter for apps along with a crock pot soup, maybe cheese-beer.  Mashed potato and sauteed mushrooms.  Stuffing...  Hm, sounds like the menu is coming together and is basically TG...DH's favorite meal!!

Went to the dump, did 3 loads of laundry, vacuumed, and cut myself painfully on a can top trying to pluck it out of the pinto bean can...dumb.

Nice to get the ice gone off your bird feeder path, tt, and everything.  Ready for Spring.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

In response to user_1797616's comment:

In response to GoneToTheDogs39's comment:

I checked out the book "The Art of Racing in the Rain".  I thought it might be something I'd like to read.  NOT.  I find anthropomorphism to be awkwardly stressful.  I think I'll stick to biographies and memoirs.  To each his own.

Robin, Somehow I knew that you wouldn't enjoy "racing."  That's why I didn't recommend

it to you.  I wouldn't want to cause you any stress.  

LOL!  I'm going to pick up Shelia MacRae's memoir "Hollywood Mother of the Year" written in1992.

Now, that looks interesting!

"Sheila MacRae, the actress and singer best known for playing Alice Kramden in the 1960s version of “The Honeymooners,” died on Thursday in Englewood, N.J. She was 92". From the NYT obituaries, today's paper.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mornin'!

what a pretty day.  Everyone adjusting to the time change?  I've been feeding Gracie her midafternoon and evening food an hour late all week, and when DH fell asleep in his chair I didn't get him up until after 10 so we'd have a great chance of waking up at 6, our normal hour.  Mission accomplished!  6:14 when I heard Gracie's morning grunt.

DH is getting ready to go snowmobiling and I'm watching the Food Net.  Just watched Farmhouse Rules, and I'm definitely going to make that Brussels sprout kale slaw with lemon vinegrete.  Man, did that look good!  Hoping our sprouts make it this time...they got some bug or disease last year. 

Maybe will check out a nearby town for party stores...then, will only have to go further once this week.  Hoping to wrap in a lunch with a friend on Tuesday if I think I'll have time.

Ooooh, RR is making some yummy looking veggies.  I'm hungry!

Anything good happening today?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

Thought of you yesterday, CT, when I walked around my driveway and back walk.  Checked under the front windows for any sign of crocus or grape hyacinths poking up.  None yet, but if the snow would only stay away for a week or so (not to happen, hear more snow Wed/Thurs) I'm sure I'd see signs.  That area gets the full sun and turns into a regular little hot house when the temps are right.

See the birds are at the feeder, and the dowel I placed so carefully is again on the ground.  Mystery.  Would love to see how that happens.  I'll put the pieces of duck tape around the ends later today when I go out.

Your planned menu for DH's party sounds delicious, Kargiver.  I'd like a turkey dinner, may stop at the deli and get some thick sliced roasted turkey breast and make my own quick version.

No company expected today, may run out for an hour or so a little later, but otherwise just a regular day here with a some of the regular hobby things thrown in.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, tt - he and the rest of his family absolutely adore turkey.  I'm the only huge turkey lover in mine so we always had something else for special meals.  I'm psyched!  

When I go to the chiro and TJ's tomorrow, I'll be picking up roasting pans (disposable) and party decorations and such.  Then, will go East when DH is home to watch Gracie for his gift and to lunch with a friend.

Doing major dusting today - under furniture, pendant light chains, crown moulding, etc.  Should look relatively ok a week from now.  Gracie needs a bath this week, too, speaking of the mess around here!  She gets 2/year.

Have a good relaxing day, tt.  too bad no photo capability.

What is everyone else up to?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,

What a beautiful morning. Had an e-mail from our British friend. She attached a couple of photos of meadows full of crocus and daffodils. Gorgeous! Would have loved to post them here, but I am not even trying.

Winter, good you are taking care of your passports. One should never travel outside US w/o a passport, even though it is not required. In this crazy world, the PP rules can change overnight. Plus many foreign stores ask to see your PP, if you use a credit card when shopping. How is the arm?

Looks like you are well planned for DH's party, Kar. Menu sounds good. Even though I am not a fan of turkey, I don't mind it once in a while - plus I love all the sides. It is just the meat, I don't care much for. What are you planning for his present? We won't tell.

Good to see your post, CT-DC. I remember, when you were looking for new kitchen cabinets. Sounds like you did a marvelous job yourself. Paint can do wonders, and you selected a neutral color, so you won't get tired of it for years to come. You must really be enjoying working in your kitchen these day. Job well done.

We had a wonderful dinner last night w/ our friends in RI. But it is such a long drive (1 hour 45 minutes to their home). And the older we get, it feels longer and longer. I was exhausted, when we finally got back. But they are very good friends, and we will do it all over again. As they will - coming here.

Who keeps removing that dowel, tt? Did you find out? That is really mysterious.

Going to spend a couple of hours at the office this afternoon. With the snow expected tmw. no one know, how the driving will be, so I am already looking forward to stay at home to work on my needle point. I truly enjoy it.

Enjoy your Sunday.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I only like turkey I've done myself, actually...I think every other turkey I've ever had has been overcooked which makes it dry and tough.  Bigger birds tend to suffer the most because you have to cook them too long in order to get the center done.  Doing 2 small (12 - 14 lb) turkeys means you don't have to overcook one big one.  Also, I cook it mostly up side down to let the fattier dark meat automatically baste the breast.  Turn to brown the breast for last 30 minutes.  Moistness makes a huge difference.  Oh, and I force clarified butter flavored with fresh poultry herbs between the skin and the meat.  Adds flavor and juiciness.  So if you ever are pressured to serve turkey, those easy tips make a gigantic difference.

A two hour drive for visiting friends is a long way no matter how close they are...but, I'd do it, too.  However, we usually go to bed around 9:30 so it would be a stretch!

ahhh, the bulb flowers...they are coming here, right?!  Can't wait.

Just came back from a delish cheeseburger and fries at my old fav diner; hadn't been since before I got sick in December.  

Oh, yeah, his present.  I'm thinking about a nice sportier watch for when he wants to dress down but not too far down (as in CVS plastic Casio down).  He only has one nice watch and it's dressy for work.  Not 100% sure, tho - depends on what I find and for how much.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

"I'm thinking about a nice sportier watch for when he wants to dress down but not too far down (as in CVS plastic Casio down).  He only has one nice watch and it's dressy for work.  Not 100% sure, tho - depends on what I find and for how much".

LL Bean has nice watches for casual attire.  They hold up well and are not junk.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Glorious day outside.  Have potatoes and carrots boiling to go with my thickly sliced Boars Head turkey breast!  Girl at deli didn't understand what I wanted when I said "thick" until one of the older workers said, like a sliced turkey would be.  Anyway, I'll think of you, Kargiver while I "dine".

Haven't had a chance to check the feeder yet, and also haven't turned my clocks ahead yet - which I'd better do or I'll be all off tomorrow for appt. time.  S&S was mobbed, guess everyone stocking up (full carriages from what I could see) before any more snow, tomorrow or Weds.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Found a new breakfast place this morning. It was very, very good. It is called "Iron Town" and is located on the little plaza on Lynnfells Parkway, where Russo's Candy and Esposito's bakery is. They serve breakfast until 3pm, and they started to serve lunch, while we were here. The lunch servings looked delicious. Thought you, who lives around here, might be interested. Sunday morning breakfasts out is my treat  for spending Sunday afternoon at the office. LOL

Kar, you got it right. That's why I don't care much for the turkey. Always seems to be dried out. I also cook small turkeys only, when I do cook them. Rather two small ones, that one large one. Even though it is a very long time, since I had to cook two. One small one has been plenty for a number of years. Next time I will do your trick with the fresh poultry herbs.

I need to stop by MB on our way home for some more fresh juicing stuff, yogurts and fruit. I am sure it will be mobbed too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Nanny friend just called.  Talking about getting together for a few games of Scrabble once the weather clears.  Good to hear from her, such a nice girl.

I'm all thrown off today with the time change.  Had lunch late so now that will push my supper even later.  Have not heard of iron Town, Pingo.  I knew there was a retro place with red booths and checkered floor, etc - has that gone out of business already?  Thought of you juicers when I was in S&S today, a girl passed me with a cart with probably 18, if not more bananas.  Thought, Aha, she must be a juicer.

Hats, are you ready to come home yet?

Kargiver you're influencing my shopping habits - first the turkey breast, and I also realize you had mentioned burgers - picked up a pkg of Angus beef hamburger today too.  Think for supper I'll toast under the broiler, bread, turkey breast with a piece of cheese on top. Would love to have some cole slaw to go with.  Maybe next week.

Got a wash done and then sat and read in the quiet, sunny l.r., Cheerio asleep on one couch and me reading on the other.  She is a good girl and a lot of company.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I'm baaack!  will try to read everything and post later!  Hope you are all well and warm.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yah!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

My plants survived except that my rosemary has powdery mildew!  Now how could that be?  Too much h2o?  I will research.  I also have some research to do on a fruiting bush that I saw in FLA that no one knew what it was.  I took photos...wish I could post...suspect that it is a choke cherry.

And I was waiting to see a photo of the TX Pingobaby!  Rats!

CT, we painted our cabinets 9 years ago (had not realized until now that that's how long it's been) with a high-gloss white and I love them to pieces, still.  I just saw that paint color in a magazine the other day (BH&G, I think) and noticed how pretty it was!  If the photo posting ever gets fixed, would love to see a before and after!

Hamburgers and Turkey.  Yummy city. Wish I had both of those but there's no food here - and I don't like road food - had just had coffee and a scone for lunch so was so hungry and all I could find for dinner was a bagel thin and the last two slices of cheese from before we left...it did the job.  now I am drinking hot tea...

I got to a Wegman's for the first time this weekend - if the one in Burlington which is supposed to open this year is anything like it I may have a new favorite shopping place...MB will have to look to their laurels...

TT I got a lot of reading done while I was in FLA.  So relaxing!  Neither DH or I wanted to return.  We saw a beautiful house - $215 K - 3 br, 2 ba and pool w/outdoor kitchen....hope we can move down there soon...3 BR condos for less than 100 K -

Icer hope the campaigning is not too arduous!  We'd endorse you!

Where IS BG?  Wish she'd check back in.

Kar, can we come to the party it sounds so terrific!  Hope MR K has a wonderful time.  Is SIL makign a cake that he can eat?

SS is DH still healing well? Winter hope you get some relief soon.

Sometimes I see my snowdrops in January, always in Feb but here it is March and I'll bet it will be at least a week or two more...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL, shoe's on the other foot this time, tt?  I hope you enjoyed the turkey and have the nice, juicy burger like I had from the diner. :)

Pingo, I clarify the butter with the fresh herbs then put just the clarified herb flavored butter between the skin and the meat and the herbs that flavored the butter in the cavity to further scent the meat.  I don't know how anyone enjoys a huge turkey; to be safe the outer few inches of meat needs to be dry as a bone!   DH likes white meat the best so he appreciates that I know how to keep it moist and flavorful.  I also like having 4 of everything rather than just 2; more people get the parts they like best that way.  

Very nice breakfast discovery...I wish I were in your neck of the woods.  Although, the place I got the burger from does a lovely breakfast, too.  They had wondered where I'd been and couldn't believe what had happened.  The gentleman at the counter was pretty freaked out saying, "omgosh, I've slept on my face to avoid coughing, too - that could have haopened to ME!"

How is DH, Pingo?  All over his nerve effects of the whiplash, I hope.  I'm getting a smidgen better every week with the only problem being for the first few minutes of the day with a little blurry vision.

Looking forward to having 3 days to myself to clean, buy groceries, stash them in the basement fridge, and get going on party planning full tilt.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good Morning.  Exciting news in the PC household.  We got a puppy!!!  She is a French Bulldog and we named her Bella.  She is 3 months old, but still so tiny (6 lbs)!  She is the cutest thing and we are in love!  Spencer has been wonderful with her.  We have been looking for quite a while for another dog through the shelters and rescues and went to see about 6 or 7 dogs.  We were just hestitant with any possible issues because of Tillie.  We agreed that going with a puppy would be the best route for us.  So, after another long search and visits, we found a reputable breeder that we were happy with.  I will try to attach a pic. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Congratulations, Princess!  OMG, I'll bet she is adorable.  So glad Spencer is pleased with her too.  Puppies are so much fun.

Snow covered car this morning, but it's not sticking to the street, so I should be alright with keeping my afternoon appointment.

Glad you had such a good time on your vacation, Hats, but it's good to have you back.  Will be good when we get the pic feature back again so we can all post - pics of babies, pics of puppies, pics of kitchen cabinets, pics of crafts.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Yeah, I just tried to post a picture but no luck....altho there is an icon there.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone. Congrats on Bella, princess. Glad Spencer likes her. Someone at work has an English Bulldog and she's just the cutest little thing. I was not expecting to have to brush off the car this morning. Wish this snow would just stop. DS has soccer practice (indoors) starting this Wednesday with a season opener on April 5th (outside). Don't think it will happen as it's a home game and I'm sure our fireld is horrible under all the snow. Well DS' passport info has been submitted. I need a name change on mine, but I have to wait to get one of the forms sent in with his back, before I can mail mine in. No worries I have plenty of time. The form is all set, so I all I need to put in the envelope is my mariage certificate.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hats, welcome back!  I didn't see your post yesterday.  Too bad about your powdery mildew, but you are in good company with Pingo's rosemary having suffered the same fate.  It's common for rosemary having been brought in for the winter.  Ha, nope, the cake is not going to be sugar-problem friendly, and neither is basically anything else.  It's how he wants it and he's the birthday boy so he'll be sick a week.  At least he knows/acknowledges it and is choosing it mindfully instead of expecting it not to bother him "this time."  It's his birthday and he can cry if he wants to, cry if he wants to...I can complain about his choice, but honestly I can't say I'd do any different if it were me!

Prin, welcome Bella!!!  Argh, so frustrating we can't post photos.  Fabulous news Spencer is accepting of the 6 lb addition to the family. :)

Got a list a mile long to do today, mostly out of town starting with a much needed chiropractic visit since I missed last week's due to my cold which is on it's last legs, thankfully, now.

Have a great day, everyone.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,

After an absolutely lovely weekend and b-day celebration, I joined the rank of the cold sufferers. I have been sneezing for a couple of days, but it didn't materialize to anything. Until this morning, when I woke up at 3, with a fuldblown cold and sore throat. Been swallowing hot tea with lemon since then to soothe the throat. And I immediately took my additional  Asthma meds. in order to hopefully avoid the cough and Bronchitis. Not feeling much better right now, so I will go under the covers and hopefully get some sleep. Enough about me.

Welcome back, Hats. Glad to have you back here. I am interested to hear what you find out about your Rosemary. The same thing happened to mine, when I was away. Did you by any chance get yours at TJ's? That's where I bought mine. It did well during our Christmas trip, but our last trip did it in. The info I found was to spray it with a mix of 1 to 1 fat free milk and water. It didn't help much, so I guess I will have to let it go. I don't want it to infect my other plants. Speaking of which, my 6 foot Hibiscus is in full bloom right now. Wish i could show you.

Congratulations, princess, with your new family member. Puppies are fun, but also a lot of work. Glad to hear Spencer and Bella get along. Hopefully the heartbreak you had with Tillie will not be repeated.

DH is feeling better, Kar. Thank you for asking. The PT helped his back and his neck, but his hearing is still not good. He has been thinking of a hearing aid, but the ENT wants him to wait, hoping he eventually will get the hearing back.

The snow has already stopped here,  and it doesn't look like there is more coming. So you should be ok to go out this afternoon, tt.

Have a good day. I am turning in. Nighty night!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I read about the milk and water, but I also read that spraying with a solutioin of one tsp baking soda to one cup water could help.  So I'm plannign on trying that.

I have had this plant for 3 years and want to keep it...only the new growth has the mildew so it's when it gets stressed by the lack of watering that the mildew grows...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

April 5 will be here before we know it, and if the weather keep on going the way it has, your field may very well still be under snow, Winter.  GS's basketball team is doing great, semi finals now.  Played and won and then had another game Sunday, so am waiting for a call back as to how they did.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm still all thrown off with this time change.  Starts with a later than usual breakfast in the morning, and then escalates the rest of the day.  Just now am showered and dressed, and usually I would be out by this time.

Sections
Shortcuts