March 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: March 2014

I'm realizing it's not going to a 10:00 departing time - shooting for 11:00 now!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

http://shop.historicnewengland.org/p-6661-camellia-blooming-season.aspx

Here's a place plant afficianados might enjoy.  Pingo this means you!  The greenhouses of the Lyman Estate in Waltham are full of orchids, clivia, camellias right now.  In fact the camellias are late this year and will be enjoyable for a few more weeks.  They are open Wed. to Sunday.  The suggested donation is only $4.  They sell plants too, Pingo, if you go I predict you will come home with a camellia.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks, Hats. You are right. It would be something, I would enjoy. I googled it, but unfortunately today March 12, is the last they they are open. Put a reminder in my calender for next year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

In response to pingo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thanks, Hats. You are right. It would be something, I would enjoy. I googled it, but unfortunately today March 12, is the last they they are open. Put a reminder in my calender for next year.

[/QUOTE]

No, they are open from now on (year round)  from Weds to Sunday only!  It's only in Feb/Mar camellia season that they are open every day.  Trust me, I know....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

Kar, tt and Pingo...add me to the list....I was always doing crafts, handiwork projects etc., many wanted me to make for them and would pay me, uh uh, then it would have become a chore and not something I enjoyed doing, same with my couponing and refunding, DH thought I should cash in on my hobby, it seemed like everyone was into writing books and selling how to magazines......no way, then it would become a  job and something I had to do, not something I enjoyed doing and sharing with others.

Saw on TV that the rain should start this afternoon and turn into snow tonite, sure hope they are wrong.  I have to take DH to his PC Dr. this afternoon for a checkup, if its gonna do anything I hope it waits till I get home.

Hats...DH is doing better legwise, the purple color is almost gone, he still complains about the daily ritual (wash,cream and go on the leg pumps), but I just keep pushing him....hopefully our car mechanic will stop by this week and get his car up and running, I think he needs a new battery, but mechanic seems to think just a charge...we'll see.

Take care all and Keep Smiling. ss

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Next year, I swear, I'm making up my own cards, and running them off the computer.  Picked out ones I needed to buy for, but not thrilled with choices.  Woman standing next to me at the Paper Store, finally walked away with none.  Then I went to  pick out an anniversary card - just a plain one - no "to a wonderful couple" stuff, just wishing them a happy day - came away without one.  

Scatter rugs are in the washer, I've already eaten my lunch of a salad and a half egg salad sandwich, and the kitchen will get my attention today - cabinets, polishing table chairs, etc.  GD is under the weather with sore throat and ear ache, not sure if allergies or cold.  I have the invitation out there when and if she feels better to come over and bake.  Have a feeling it may be tomorrow, as she's seen the doctor and I'm sure is beginning to feel better.

No rain here yet.  Was surprised how mild it was when I was out.

Have a couple of things to do before Y&R.  Will check in later.  Hope you are getting what you need to done, Kargiver.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I feel your misery re buying cards these days. Your idea doing them on the computer is great. However, if you can draw a bit, you can buy card stock at Staples, and make your own with some stick people and some cute or funny personal sayings. A set of colored pencils will go along way. You have shown us, you are so creative with your wreaths and bowls, I bet you can make nice cards too. You just have to try. Scratch something up on a plain piece of paper a couple of times to practice. Good luck.

Great news, ss, re your DH's legs. I know it is labor for you, but you must not give up prodding him to do his routine. It is vital for him to continue. Maybe if he gets his car started, he will move around more. He must be so depressed sitting around indoor all day. Good luck to you too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Easy for you to say, old watercolor fingers!  I already make cards from the card stock at Michael's, but mine are made with embellishments and a home written poem.  Too expensive to turn out the number I buy at the holidays.  I know, people who can draw think anyone can - tain't so.  I hung onto a chalk colored clown I drew in Jr. High for years, because the teacher gave me C+ !  lol

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Well TT, I took a trip to the Dollar Store today and I want to tell you what I got!  I needed a couple more foamboards for wreaths, but I walked the aisles pretty thoroughly and found a lot of good stuff.  First, they had pink and blue baby ribbon with the white polka dots, which I thought would be nice for Easter wreaths.  Also plainer pink, blue and yellow.

In the stationery aisle/teacher aisle they had card embellishments and stickers!  Those might be good for your card making.  They had wonderful books of easter stickers too.  $1 for 96, 100, even 200 stickers is a good deal!

For making cards, things like balloons, hearts, stars are easy enough to draw, paint, or cut out of pretty paper. Cookie cutters make great stencils to trace - since you are famous for your gingerbread, how about tracing on grocery bags, cutting out, and decorating, then gluing on?   Also, if you get a gift in wrapping paper, before you throw it away think "could I use some of it?" 

And, I never throw away a greeting card - I keep all the fronts and even some of the backs to be cut up and pasted on to other cards ....apply your wreath making skills to cards, and you'll find that you are reaching a new level of artistic achievement!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

In the 10 minutes since my last post it's started to pour buckets here!  So glad I got out early - got my hair cut, dropped off a check, got gas, grocery shopped, dollar store and library!  Now I don't have to go out at all tomorrow!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I did find that section with the embellishments/stickers, it's right with the foamboard in my store.  Picked up a couple of pkgs. of the monkey ones.  I love those and can use them for pumpkin and his bro.  I rummage through the ribbon every time I go in hoping for some vibrant colors.   I still have the yellow polka dot ribbon I bought a month or so ago.  GD used it on her Easter wreath and I will use it on mine.  That is a real good bargain, much more on the spool than you would think, for $1.  Hate to tell you what I paid in Michael's for a spool of wide satin purple ribbon I used on my pansy floral wreath.  Did you check out the flowers?

Speaking of saving things and reusing, should share that I keep a stack of small plain white bags with handles (Michael's), and lots of times have been able to cut out something from leftover gift wrap and glue it on, making my own gift bags.  I don't save my cards tho, maybe that's something I will look at again. - At this rate I'll be turning into one of those "hoarders" you see on TV, saying, "But I might be able to use that on one of my cards" !  LOL

ETA:  Want to mention the Easter stickers, raised ones, quite nice that I got there in their Easter section.  Also picked up the Easter window decorations on a sheet and GD used those to make her wreath.  She's very creative.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Oh yeah - I have so much crafty stuff saved, but it does come in handy sometimes.

My store had the monkeys, but also pirates, which are very popular now - even with the teens because of the Pirates of the Caribbean...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shakersilly2010. Show shakersilly2010's posts

I save all my greeting cards, this year I forgot to buy any for St. Patricks day, I used the back of the fronts of old cards for my greeting and mailed them off, sorry tt by the time I got to your name on the list the only card front I had left was the one you sent last year, so I just added my greeting to your Birthday card....

Poured here for about 15 min, now nothing....I personally think its too warm (55) to snow, heres hoping....ss

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yes, I hesitated over those, but figured since I was up to close to $15, those could wait for another day.  I was afraid the monkeys might disappear.  I showed them to another woman who was poking there and she took a couple of pkgs too.

As for the wreaths, can hardly wait for 4th of July (I still have that calendar of folk art).  And there's still the lighthouse one to pull together, and maybe a kids' one for pumpkin's house. Then, it will be a hiatus until Fall.  Have you started working on your Easter wreath yet? Just one for you, or are you giving one/some away?  Decided it is too close to the 17th to make up wreaths for fam that will be down this week-end.  I'll wait until Easter and do up the 10" ones to gift.  I do like that little size.

Right now I've got to get to the kitchen and get the chairs polished, the hood on the vent cleaned, and maybe, the cabinets washed down with Murphy's oil soap.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to shakersilly2010's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I save all my greeting cards, this year I forgot to buy any for St. Patricks day, I used the back of the fronts of old cards for my greeting and mailed them off, sorry tt by the time I got to your name on the list the only card front I had left was the one you sent last year, so I just added my greeting to your Birthday card....

Poured here for about 15 min, now nothing....I personally think its too warm (55) to snow, heres hoping....ss

[/QUOTE]

Wait a minute here, SS - "by the time I got to your name on the list the only card front I had left - - - - - -"  By the time you got to me on the list??? Just how far down that list am I?  I'll  have you know I bought you one this morning - no mind that I think it's the same one I sent you last year, when I thought you were Irish!!   All these years and now you go and spoil it telling me with your red hair, freckles, and wit, you're not!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Yes, TT, I started working on my Easter wreath long ago. Not sure if DD will want one, if she does not, I will make only one...unless I suddenly realize that I have made too many motifs and have enough for two.  I am doing something a little different which has taken some thought and false starts....I hope I'll be able to show them to you when they get done in a week or 10 days from now.

I know two young ladies who are graduating this year so I am thinking of that as a motif for later...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

All this crafty talk is making me think about my next assignment. An entire CD, front back, and four pages in the middle of any artist I chose. Also a poster. I'll be heading home soon. Have a nice night everyone.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Busy bee.  Got the chairs wiped down and also the cabinets. Need new chair pads really bad.  Got these last ones at BB&B and have loved them, but every time I go in the store and check - don't like what they carry now.

Can see steady rain coming down.  If only it would stay rain and not change over.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

testing if pictures works...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm guessing you couldn't post a pic, Hats.

Might I make a suggestion?  I was going to mention it at the time to Pingo when she posted, but I see now that the post on the previous page where she quoted the conversation she had with her connection, has been removed.  I felt it gave too much info, and apparently, the person she spoke with, did too.  I see when you responded to Pingo, you copied that part of the conversation - maybe it would best to go in and delete that part of your post to avoid any discomfort to the contact in her job?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Done.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks for the well wishes - had a wildly successful day East.  Got DH's bd present, not at all what I expected to buy.  He is obsessed with massaging his scalp (to prevent hair loss)  and I tried a luxurious head massager at Brookstone that I just know he'll adore.  I tried it, and this thing is for real.  Add it to his daily time in the massage chair and he'll never get up!

And, hit TJ's for good party eats along with iparty for decor and such.  No big theme, just happy birthday stuff with one customizable 7' "Happy birthday" banner I can put "50th" in.  Got beer, wine, prosecco, and sparkling cidar (DH doesn't drink and there will be nieces and nephews under 21).  Got fake crystal champagne glasses for everyone to toast the bd boy.  Stopped at an Italian specialty shop for the platter meats.  Got home to find Gracie perfectly content but hungry...she didn't even want to go out to pee before she ate!  Iron bladder this dog has.  Didn't have time to wrap in a lunch, but what can ya do.  

Pingo, I couldn't leave the house Monday or Tuesday so no rack of lamb. :(  Not even a bd card!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good morning everyone.  Kar, sounds like you are all set for a wonderful bday party for DH!  Commute wasn't bad this morning, raining and a little slick but nothing too bad.

Having my Mom, brother, SIL, niece & nephew over Sat to celebrate Mom's 75th bday.  I'm just going to do some light appetizers, sandwiches and salads.  SIL is bringing the cake so that will work out great.

The new puppy is just a doll.  Only 6lbs!  Believe it or not, we even almost have her house trained.  She and Spencer are getting along great!  (fingers crossed).  He actually loves playing with her and it very gentle.  He'll even roll on the floor and let her climb on him while he is on his back, so that's a good sign.

What's the latest on Princess Pingo & family?  Are they getting any sleep these days?

You ladies are all os busy with your crafts.  It's just too bad you can't post pictures.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Kargiver, your party eats sound delicious.  He'll be surprised at the birthday gift, and I'm sure is going to love it.  Fun to get things we're not expecting.

Princess, Sat is a celebration for your Mom too - this is a party week-end for CC families!

Good day around here at least, to not have to go out.  Streets are just wet, but everything else has a covering and light snow is still falling.  Got up to the birdfeeder and railing underneath filled with starlings.  Must have been a flock flying over and they spied the seed.  One small squirrel underneath having a ball feasting on all the seeds they dropped as they dove in.

Have just about decided not to put the cushions back on the kitchen chairs.  It will make me find new ones somewhere.  There's always country curtains, but they are so expensive.  Still, I do keep them a long time.  I'll google today and see what they have. Believe there is still a store in Beverly.  Might be a good excuse for cousin and I to meet for lunch and do some shopping.

Was hoping GD would call this morning on the way to school asking to come over this afternoon.  But, she's there by now, so no cookie/cupcake baking today.  I'll concentrate on the house, once I get pumpkin's and his bro's poems written and their cards with the others in the mailslot.

ETA:  Whoa!  At $29.95 each, I guess not Country Curtains!  Too rich for my blood.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Wish we had the picture capacity - my yard, surrounding it - the trees are filled with blackbirds!  Fast count would bring over 50.  Like the movie, "The Birds", but they aren't making any noise.  Cheerio thought she would go out and investigate, but down 2 steps in the snow, shaking the snow off her paws with each step, she decided coming back in and having a treat was a better idea!  lol