March chat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: March chat

Hi Novem.  Glad you are doing well.  How is the little one?? kar, good work that the jeans zip.  I'm sure you'll make your goal before July. Sorry you are having troubles logging in again tt. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Winter - I'm very pleased, and I appreciate everyone's support.

Nov, good to see you!  How far along are you and how are things?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good job, Kar. I am glad you yourself is pleased. You worked hard to get, where you are now. Skinny jeans or not. But it is always good to have a measurable goal.  I know, what you mean by tight jeans. I never understood, there are women who think they are flattering. Oh Heavens!
    - Pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

The babe and I are both doing well. Healthy and feeling good.  I'm closing in on 25 weeks.  I definitely look pregnant at this point and I am just starting to feel tired at the end of Zumba, or carrying the laundry upstairs.  Looks like she'll be an early riser, and a dancer sine she likes to her early bird squirm routine daily at 4AM.

I think I have the daycare picked, just need to make it official and send in my enrollment check.  Still need to pick a pediatirican, adn sign up for a brestfeeding clas.  Thenit is onto the fun stuff like picking a name and setting up the crib.

Puppy is all set up in his new spaces - we needed to move his bowls and toybox.  And we re-trained him to stay the whole night in his bed instead of jumping up into ours.  My next project with him is to get him used to walking with a stroller. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Glad you are feeling well Nov.  So exciting all of your "To Dos."

Not much new here.  Still doing okay with my health, could be better but much better than before.  Thanks everyone for asking.  Need to make a Dr. appt, but as you know, I despise Drs. (sorry if any of you are one or related to one, lol) so I have to bite the bullet.

Loving the weather, just wish I could get out and enjoy it more.  Oh well, there's always the weekend!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Novem, how exciting you are due July 4th right?  What a cool birthdate if the little firecracker arrives on time.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, Pingo, I don't want to be one of "those women," ugh, especially at my age.  I'm happy with being 40, but acknowledge I can't get away with things as if I were 20.  

Nov, such great news!  25 weeks; you're more than 1/2 way there.  Good job training Jax to stay on his bed after having the luxury of being in yours.  Must have been a job and a half.  Regarding leash manners with the stroller, I've used a pinch collar on Gracie.  She doesn't mind it, as evidenced by her running over and standing still so I can put it on knowing we're going for a walk (Yahoo!), and it definitely helps me keep her under control on a leash.  Make sure if you try it that you get one that fits snuggly around Jax's neck up by his ears - you'll have to open it up at a link, not slide it over his head or it will be vastly too big to do any good.  I had to take a few links out of the one I bought for it to fit properly (according to my trainer's guidance).

Speaking of a walk, we just got back from ours.  I stayed on the road this time not feeling like lacing up hiking boots for the woods.  Donned shorts, tank, and sneakers with low socks for a nice bit of sun.  Waiting for Gracie to cool down before I feed her.

In the meantime, putting the brisket in the now-cooled brine and setting the 10 day timer.  Boy, oh, boy, I can hardly wait.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Your brisket trial sounds challenging. So you must have found all the odds and ends, that are supposed to go in the brine. That itself is a job and a half. I keeled over yesterday and brought a small brisket to make at some point. DH was still complaining, he got no sandwiches. I still try to explain to him, no boiled dinner - no corn beef sandwiches. He ordered a Ruben Sandwich yesterday, and he really gave it to me, how wonderful and delicious it was, as if it was the first time, he ate it.
    Closing my work computer for the day and heading home. DH asked for my cabbage soup. Guess, he wants to wear his skinny jeans. He has been eating out with clients a lot lately. Not the best thing, when you want to keep your weight down.
    DH brought up a couple of our deck chairs this morning. I am hoping, I can sit outside and get a few rays and some fresh air, before the sun goes down.
    You all have a great evening - Pingo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

november -

Nice to see your post and read you are doing well.  Happy times for sure. 

mothermitzi

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

pingo -

For me the best part of cooking corned beef is the sandwiches. I also save the ends and make corned beef hash.  Will do that this Saturday. I had a lot of vegetables left over, which is great.  Last night I cooked a pork chop and just heated up the veggies.

mothermitzi  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The brine is so easy, Pingo, especially since I found everything I lacked at a little nearby spice shop.  Your DH cracks me up - I can relate so well, lol.

Not sure what I'm going to have by myself.  Something light - getting into skinny jeans is the theme of the day, I guess, lol.  I really worked hard on our walk, though, and am pretty hungry...

OK, before I do anything else, I'm putting the meat in its spice bath now that it's cooled down to 40ish degrees.  Then, all I have to do is turn and shake it once a day for 10 days. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, I will send DH over for a sandwich on day 11. I am sure he won't mind the drive. He can pick up mm on the way for the sandwich party.
    - Pingo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Nice to see your post, November. We were all wondering, how you and your baby were doing. Sounds like such an exciting time for you. Cherish it. Hope you stay well the rest of the time. Some hot days will come your way, when you need it the least. Just put up your legs with the A/C on the coldest and be the lady of leisure, you deserve to be. It must be such a relief, that you found a good day care. Happy times to come.
    - Pingo

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'll welcome everyone for sandwiches, but I noticed the "use by" date on the brisket is the 26th.  I wonder if the storage in the salt/sugar mixture will extend the life of it, but I don't think I'll risk it.  Looks like it's only going to get 6 full days in the brine.  I'm kind of disappointed, but I can't imagine it will be flavorless after almost a week in there, right?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

kar -

If you're in the process of brining it, I don't think you have to worry.  Corned beef is usually cured (like a ham) when you buy it.  However, you be the judge and if you don't want to risk it why take a chance. I bet it will have a good deal of flavor after six days. That means pingo's DH and I will be over for a sandwich earlier than expected!

mothermitzi 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    I wouldn't worry about your brisket. "sell by date" is just a guidance for the store, how long they can keep it on display. The stores do not expect you to go straight home and place it in the pot. If it says "use by" - I would be more concerned. I just checked the piece, I purchased yesterday. It says "sell by June 1st". That is two and one half month from now. Of course I would never leave it in my ref. that long. If I don't cook it this weekend, I will freeze it. But to be on the very safe side, 6 days should give it a great flavor. Me? I would leave it the 10 days and not worry. For heavens sake, you will be boiling the life out of it no matter how long you keep it. - Pingo

ps. glad those ladies are banned from this thread - or we would get some more "information" and have another heated discussion. LOL

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I 100% agree with Pingo Kar. You are good for the 10 days. I think if it calls for that many, there must be a reason? After all that work I personally wouldn't deviate. IMO of course : )

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I agree with Pingo.  The "corning" process is meant to preserve the meat and prevent spoilage, so you'll be fine brining it for the 10 days.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Awesome, ladies, thanks.  I think it did say "use by," but if the salt and sugar will preserve it for sure I'll leave it be.  I'd hate to have a 1/2 corned beef, but food poisoning would be worse so I wanted to make sure.

Foggy here, but soooo warm!  Will get the chores done early today and get outside.  I got a little sun yesterday reading out on the patio, playing fetch, and walking Gracie.  I'm determined to not have pasty white legs in July this year.  DH is always so gorgeously tan by then for having worked in the garden so the contrast is hideous, LOL!

The leftovers of the weekend (chicken and dumplings and meatloaf) is gone so I'll have to think about that, too.  Oh, wait, I have chicken and arugula from TJs; I'll be using those today.

Just saw some gas money saving tips on the Fox morning show that I thought were interesting:  Fill up...
    1.  on Monday - Wednesday early in the morning (prices go up for the weekend)
    2.  away from wealthy areas of town
    3.  near state lines (competition over different tax rates drives prices down)
    4.  at highway gas stations  (surprising? I thought so)

I'll be much more conscious of getting gas earlier in the week and in the day; I'm pretty sure I've been doing the opposite of both.

Have a great day, everyone!

~kar

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Hello everyone,

It is going to be a gorgeous day.  I had to wear a light jacket as it is cool when I leave, but that's ok. I'll carry it going home.  They are saying we may break some records today and tomorrow. Just hoping the MBTA is bright enough to AC the buses and trains. Nothing worse than a hot bus or train.  I must tell DD about your gas tips Kar.  Very interesting. I hope everyone has a good day!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

No trouble moving around the boards this morning - so far.

Cheerio woke me up at 6:00, but after knocking a few things off the chest of drawers, settled down and let me sleep until almost 8:00.  I heard record breaking temps today too, Amber.  Hope there are some cooler slacks in my pile of ironing I keep hidden in the closet!

Kargiver, I agree with all the others as far as your brining time - that's what the process is doing, preserving the meat.  I don't think you have any worry.

Checking basket supplies today and then making a list before I head out for all the doing ups.  For my youngest son's 2 kids I use bakets that were my sons when they were small.  Will fill another with all sorts of candy for familiy to pick on when they're here, and then at the end of the day want 3 baskets to divy up what's left of it and send it along home with GGC.  Want to get a new tablecloth too, and pull the Easter decorative pieces out of the attic.  Lots of little bunnies to set here and there.

Princess, I hope you jotted down the lemon soup recipe, I see they have deleted it, even from this thread.  As others in the thread pointed out, you can make it as complicated as you wish, but I cook simple recipes, and that is what this one is, adapted to my style of cooking.

Speaking of Easter menus, realized I have an additional dessert in the freezer to take out - G.T. made two birthday cakes, each in the form of oval frosted layer cakes - they looked like chocolate Easter eggs!  We ate one and I froze the other, so plan to thaw that and do some decorative flowers/ribbons on top to represent those eggs you peek into.

Time is fleeting, so will get a move on.  Hope you all have a good day and are able to get outside, at least during your lunchtime to enjoy this beautiful weather.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

tt, I never had grandparents. I wish I knew you when I was young. I would have let you adopt me Sealed

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I still can -

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Awww.... you are so good to me!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Icer, is this week-end the date of the shower?  How are things coming along?  Are you having it in a hall or your home?  Fill us in on what's going on, if you have time.  Love baby showers, so much oooohing and aaaaahing.  A happy, happy time.

ETA:  I think you were right about Victor, looks as tho he and Genevieve are going to - you know -